PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's shot in Game 1 against Phx last year...

ffadicted
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
... was much more surprising, chilling and clutch then lebron's shot yesterday night.

Great game winner from lebron, but nothing special :toast

Those kinds of shots have been made many times before, I don't understand the mediagasm.

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-23-2009, 07:04 PM
because it was to win the game......at he buzzer at that, with a hand in his face....not tie the game.

ffadicted
05-23-2009, 07:08 PM
because it was to win the game......at he buzzer at that, with a hand in his face....not tie the game.

Spurs still won the game because of it, and there was no contesting from torkuglu on the shot. More then on Duncan's, but certanly nothing to bother him.

Also, Melo's shot against dallas in game 3 was better as well imo.

I like lebron, but i think the media is overdoing it :wakeup

duncan228
05-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Any excuse to watch it again. :)

0BP45k69e9s

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Spurs still won the game because of it, and there was no contesting from torkuglu on the shot. More then on Duncan's, but certanly nothing to bother him.

Also, Melo's shot against dallas in game 3 was better as well imo.

I like lebron, but i think the media is overdoing it :wakeup

oh yea i def agree that Melo's was alot better, but u knw its Lebron son, so you knw the media's gonna be all over it. If Kobe was to do the samething it would be the exact same imo.

Rogue
05-23-2009, 07:12 PM
They are two different things of hitting a 3 in a game and making it with no defense on you, even Shaq can hit some when he is left wide open. The league is a scam, not to mention the magnetic rim stalled on the board.

blink
05-23-2009, 07:13 PM
nope, lebrons shot was better. better than duncans and melos. melo's shot was wide open after what's-his-name thought he fouled melo

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2009, 08:14 PM
this thread is such a homer thread...

Seeing both shots in real time, Lebron's was pretty damn good for his resume...

Duncan's shot was great but it was in the first round. It was a great playoff opener between two great teams..but Shots that are in later rounds, to the finals automatically trump lesser round buzzerbeaters, depending on the team's playoff paths.....

Give credit where credit is due...people trying to shit on Lebron's shot probably only caught the replays of it.....

resistanze
05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow, so random.

Jacob1983
This thread has sour grapes written all over it. Lebron's shot was way more impressive and clutch than Duncan's. Lebron's shot saved the Cavs and the city of Cleveland. If his shot hadn't have gone in, the Cavs would have been done.

gaKNOW!blee
I absolutely loved Duncans shot and obviously being a Spurs fan it made me happier.

However, Lebrons was better for a couple of reasons. One, because he didnt get time to line it up with his feet set like Duncan....two, his shot was deeper in the playoffs....and three, because if he misses that shot he gets absolutely blasted by the media and fans where as Duncans shot he wasn't really expected to make that.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2009, 08:22 PM
This thread has sour grapes written all over it. Lebron's shot was way more impressive and clutch than Duncan's. Lebron's shot saved the Cavs and the city of Cleveland. If his shot hadn't have gone in, the Cavs would have been done.

Also, everyone who was watching the game yesterday, saw how Lebron prevented this little Cleveland boy from throwing away his jersey and changing his favorite sport..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/umo/sadkid.gif

the implications of the shot has more space-time continuum impacts than Duncan's...

Jacob1983
05-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I saw that kid last on tv. Sad look but Lebron changed all of that. I almost predicted the end of the game last night. When the Magic had the ball and were going for the last shot, I told my brother that Turkoglu was going to get the ball and get the game winning shot. I was completely shocked by Lebron's shot.

JoeTait75
05-23-2009, 08:29 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/umo/sadkid.gif

Welcome to Cleveland fanhood, little man. It only gets more interesting from here.

Armando
05-23-2009, 08:35 PM

Save the city of Cleveland from what? Were they in danger of being invaded by the residents of Orlando if they lost?

BTW after watching the first 2 games I have to say Orlando is going to win this series.

lefty
05-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm gonna brag again, but.......

I called TD's 3 that night :D

Armando
05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Is amazing how one shot changed the series. That should have been a sweep if the Spurs had not given the Suns a saving face game.

IronMexican
05-23-2009, 08:40 PM
this thread is such a homer thread...

Seeing both shots in real time, Lebron's was pretty damn good for his resume...

Duncan's shot was great but it was in the first round. It was a great playoff opener between two great teams..but Shots that are in later rounds, to the finals automatically trump lesser round buzzerbeaters, depending on the team's playoff paths.....

Give credit where credit is due...people trying to shit on Lebron's shot probably only caught the replays of it.....

Which is why I feel MJ's shot over Ehlo is VERY overrated. It was in the first round and the Bulls didn't win the Title.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna brag again, but.......

I called TD's 3 that night :D

I wasn't shocked because I've seen Timmy make threes before in practice...:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ibGNWPWGg#t=0m20s

N4th4n
05-23-2009, 08:57 PM
That was the most painfull shot ever. It is so frustrating, the Spurs ALWAYS seem to come up with a shot like that to put away the Suns.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2009, 09:01 PM
You can expect many more of these threads to come now that Duncan and the Spurs are finished. Oh the memories...

Spurs have two more years under Duncan to contend for a title in 2010 and 2011.
That's two more years than your team...since Kobe will be opting-out this summer after he's sent fishing by Denver.

The wheels will be set in motion next Friday....:toast

NewJerSpur
05-23-2009, 09:03 PM
That was the most painfull shot ever. It is so frustrating, the Spurs ALWAYS seem to come up with a shot like that to put away the Suns.

Shouldn't have been, it nearly tied the game and sent it into another overtime.....your team still had a chance, until Manu's shot ended it. I turned the channel because of bad nerves for a second and cmae back to find the game tied. When I saw the replay, I busted out laughing....then I almost cried. Tim is the best.

baseline bum
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Turkoglu defended James' shot perfectly. The guy who fucked up was Rashard Lewis. That's one of the best game-winners I have ever seen. James shot it from about 25 feet with his momentum going backward in a catch and shoot with 6'11" Turkoglu about 2 inches off him. I can't think of any other players in the league who could elevate that high and that quickly to get that good of a look in that situation. That's probably the most impressive game-winning shot since Fisher's in 2004.

Armando
05-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Turkoglu defended James' shot perfectly. The guy who fucked up was Rashard Lewis. That's one of the best game-winners I have ever seen. James shot it from about 25 feet with his momentum going backward in a catch and shoot with 6'11" Turkoglu about 2 inches off him. I can't think of any other players in the league who could elevate that high and that quickly to get that good of a look in that situation. That's probably the most impressive game-winning shot since Fisher's in 2004.

Lewis should have done to Williams what Odom did to Carter

E20
05-23-2009, 09:16 PM
wow

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2009, 09:21 PM

why it was a great buzzer Beater is Lebron executed it perfectly, no hesitation, he kept his cool and delivered...anyone lesser would have fucked it up and said "ah well, it felt good when it left, but better luck next time" it was a pivotal shot.

Fisher's was more flukey to tell you the truth... 1.0 second is believable.... 0.4 was technically disputed so much so the Spurs team wanted it reviewed :lol.
1.0 seconds on the clock allows no disputes whatsoever, complete certainty. That's why I like Lebrons because the shot was the opportunity for Lebron to live out his childhood dream...
Fisher's on the other hand was Lakers-making-a-deal with the devil bullshit. (hence their 04 Finals loss) and only made the Laker team more hatable by the rest of the country.
Fuck 0.4. :flipoff: I hate it because it eclipsed Duncan's legitimate shot... And Shaq had to be all witty, "one lucky shot deserves another" :bang
yes, I'm still bitter

bdictjames
05-23-2009, 09:53 PM
How about we just enjoy both shots?

Lebron's now is more like "in the moment" thing.. the media had a good coverage of Duncan's shot against Phoenix as well. It was well deserved, and Lebron's is well deserved for now.

u4lakers14
05-23-2009, 11:08 PM
actually, duncan shot that iced the game against us with .4 seconds left reminded me more of lebrons. the speed, the traffic, and intensity were all similar.

iggypop123
05-23-2009, 11:15 PM
why it was a great buzzer Beater is Lebron executed it perfectly, no hesitation, he kept his cool and delivered...anyone lesser would have fucked it up and said "ah well, it felt good when it left, but better luck next time" it was a pivotal shot.

Fisher's was more flukey to tell you the truth... 1.0 second is believable.... 0.4 was technically disputed so much so the Spurs team wanted it reviewed :lol.
1.0 seconds on the clock allows no disputes whatsoever, complete certainty. That's why I like Lebrons because the shot was the opportunity for Lebron to live out his childhood dream...
Fisher's on the other hand was Lakers-making-a-deal with the devil bullshit. (hence their 04 Finals loss) and only made the Laker team more hatable by the rest of the country.
Fuck 0.4. :flipoff: I hate it because it eclipsed Duncan's legitimate shot... And Shaq had to be all witty, "one lucky shot deserves another" :bang
yes, I'm still bitter

there was a show called "sports science" that tested out this fast shot thing and they proved that one can get a shot off in .4 in fact they got it out in .2 seconds

TampaDude
05-23-2009, 11:20 PM
there was a show called "sports science" that tested out this fast shot thing and they proved that one can get a shot off in .4 in fact they got it out in .2 seconds

Yup...I think I saw that last year.

Didn't matter, though...the Lakers still got assraped by the Pistons in the Finals. :nutkick: :lol

blink
05-24-2009, 12:07 AM

actually, it was .22 seconds and he was facing the basket and shot it as soon as he got it. we all know it was proven that fisher didnt catch and shot that ball in .4 seconds.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-24-2009, 12:20 AM

probably some bullshit laker fan was behind the production of that show. It's all propaganda...:reading

peskypesky
05-24-2009, 01:03 AM
they were both great fucking shots. lebron's was great because it saved his team from going down 0-2 in a conference finals, because it won the game, because it was contested, and because he had just fucked up shortly before by travelling.

duncan's was great because it helped the spurs steal HCA, because it led to a win, and because he was the last person in the world you would expect to take a 3-pt shot at the end of a game. in fact, i think it was his first 3-point shot of the season.

i'm a spurs fan, so i'm partial to duncan's, but i can totally see why some people think lebron's was a greater shot. but whatever, both huge fucking shots.

duncan228
05-24-2009, 01:13 AM
duncan's was great because it helped the spurs steal HCA, because it led to a win, and because he was the last person in the world you would expect to take a 3-pt shot at the end of a game. in fact, i think it was his first 3-point shot of the season.

It was Duncan's first made three that season, he'd attempted four in the regular season. And, the Spurs had home court for the series. It was the first game. :)

Jacob1983
05-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Lebron saved the Cavs and the city of Cleveland by making that great shot. He saved Cleveland from another playoff failure. The city of Cleveland hasn't had a winner in a long long time. He kept hope alive in the city of Cleveland. If he missed that shot, Orlando would be up 2-0 and the Cavs would probably be done.

BUMP
05-24-2009, 01:38 AM
I would have to give the edge to Duncan. We expect Lebron to make these kinds of shots, Duncan is nothing more than a glorified choker who always comes up short in crunchtime but was always surrounded by great teammates. So we don't expect Duncan to make it that's why it was shocking.

I was waiting for the airball but not only does he make it, but it's a three pointer!

iggypop123
05-24-2009, 02:19 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0523/nba_g_karl11_576.jpg