PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: What Could Have Been: 'Memorial Day Misfire'

duncan228
05-23-2009, 10:49 PM
What could have been: ‘Memorial Day Misfire’ (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/What_could_have_been_Memorial_Day_Misfire.html)
Express-News

What if Sean Elliott’s famous shot had not gone down? Express-News staff writer Jeff McDonald imagines a tongue-in-cheek, alternate historic timeline for the Spurs:

May 31, 1999

Spurs eliminated: Elliott’s last-gasp shot bounces just off the front of the rim. The Spurs go on to lose Game 2 of the Western Conference finals 87-83. Buoyed by its upset victory in San Antonio, Portland goes on to win the series in six games.

June 25, 1999

Blazers win NBA title: The Trail Blazers defeat the New York Knicks 4-1 in the NBA Finals, claiming their first championship in 22 seasons. The city of Portland celebrates with a parade down the Willamette River. Phil Jackson infuriates half the state of Oregon by suggesting the Blazers’ title should come with an asterisk.

July 7, 1999

Elliott hangs ’em up: Facing a life-or-death kidney transplant, Elliott announces his retirement from basketball. He says he plans to spend most of his post-op time on the golf course, honing up for his planned entrance onto the PGA Tour.

Oct. 23, 1999

No new arena: Spurs owner Peter Holt goes public with a plan to raise funds to build a new arena to replace the Alamodome. The city scoffs. “The dome is only 6 years old, and you want to turn it into a glorified high school stadium?” one city council member says. “Like that will ever happen.”

May 2, 2000

Pop fired: With All-Star Tim Duncan sidelined with a knee injury, the Spurs are out of the playoffs in the first round, bounced by the Phoenix Suns. The next day, the team announces the firing of Gregg Popovich. “We need to go in a different direction,” Holt says.

May 4, 2000

Hill hired: The Spurs announce the re-hiring of Bob Hill.

June 19, 2000

Lakers three-peat again: The Lakers win the first of three consecutive NBA titles (Hey, some things would never change).

July 15, 2000

Duncan to Magic: In a move that sends shockwaves throughout the Alamo City, Duncan makes public his intention to sign with Orlando. “I feel like it’s my best chance to win a championship,” Duncan says. “Besides, my future children will just love Disney World.”

May 4, 2002

Hill fired: On the heels of their third consecutive first-round ouster, the Spurs announce the dismissal of Bob Hill. “We needed to go in a different direction,” Holt says, before checking into the availability of John Lucas.

July 25, 2002

Holt sells team: Frustrated by the Spurs’ inability to advance in the Western Conference playoffs, and facing flagging attendance at the increasingly outdated Alamodome, Holt sells the franchise to an Oklahoma businessman. At his introductory news conference, Clay Bennett vows to do everything in his power to keep the team in San Antonio.

Aug. 27, 2003

Spurs move to OKC: Bennett unveils plans to move the Spurs to Oklahoma City. The team steals away in the dead of night, using a fleet of Boomer Schooners instead of Mayflower buses.

June 15, 2003

Magic win NBA title: Led by the All-Star twosome of Duncan and Grant Hill, the Magic defeat the Dallas Mavericks in six games to claim their first NBA title. San Antonio weeps.

March 11, 2004

Pop guides old school: Led by its newly rehired coach, Gregg Popovich, Pomona-Pitzer finally breaks through and wins its first Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship. Popovich calls it the proudest moment of his coaching career.

June 25, 2010

Duncan retires: Duncan wins his fifth NBA championship with dynastic Orlando and promptly retires. The team announces immediate plans to hang his No. 21 in the rafters of the soon-to-be constructed Walt Disney Arena, Resort & Golf Course. At his farewell press conference, Duncan is asked to reflect on his early days in the league with San Antonio. He is momentarily puzzled. “Oh,” he says, “I forgot they used to have a team.”

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2009, 10:59 PM
grant hill lmao, wtf has he ever done for the orlando magic franchise?

i think a few members wouldnt mind watching a prime tmac here going nuts on the scoring even when losing, at leasts you get to see a scoring machine scoring at will....

celldweller
05-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Also this is a terrible attempt at being funny.
Slow news week I guess. :sleep

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Slow news week I guess. :sleep

quantity vs qualitative reporting....FAIL.

poop
05-23-2009, 11:16 PM
hes giving canon fodder to the haters. great job mcdonald...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Also this is a terrible attempt at being funny.

I'd say it's a little funny because it's not very imaginative ...it dismisses both Pop's talents and the David Robinson's..also wouldn't the Spurs have Manu Ginobili already drafted by this point???

Spurs losing in 2000 due to Duncan's injury after coming off a successful playoff run wouldn't have caused Pop to be fired. :lol

Duncan wouldn't have won 5 championships with Grant Hill...Duncan would have been a journey man.
I'd say it'd be funnier to jab at Spurs fans by saying Duncan would have turned into a Garnett and eventually end up in Boston and be a clone of Garnett...they could have also talked about the Jason Kidd "plan" etc.

the Walt Disney world joke ?? ... :sleep awful!!! :bang

Duncan is asked to reflect on his early days in the league with San Antonio. He is momentarily puzzled. “Oh,” he says, “I forgot they used to have a team.”

That's kind of funny. Just because SA dependence on Duncan translates into an all or nothing scenario and a complete franchise implosion without him within four years?? ...it's absurd, and is disrespectful to David Robinson. He probably would have retired a little later if Duncan left.

I think McDonald secretly enjoys the idea of Misery of the Spurs fans franchise, since he despises his internet critics.
I wish he included a "what if" scenario about where parallel universe McDonald would end up at the very end...

braeden0613
05-23-2009, 11:35 PM
What Spurs fan enjoys reading this? har har har

baseline bum
05-23-2009, 11:48 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/incompetence.jpg

^^^ Should be hanging in McDonald's office.

raspsa
05-23-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm guessing McDonald was inspired by the new Star Trek movie..

sprrs
05-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Alot of it isn't necessarily untrue. That the Spurs won in '99, coupled with Dave convincing Timmy to stay, had a big impact in him resigning. Had they not won in either '99 or '03, would we have been so eager to pay for the ATT center?

Who knows what would have happened then. We all know what happened with the Sonics and it's not out of the realm of possibilities for it to have happened to us. Of course it all hinges on the Spurs not getting beaten in '99 and Tim choosing to resign with SA.

Obstructed_View
05-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Grant Hill's ankle was powder before he signed with the Magic. That wasn'g going to change.

Gervin44Silas13
05-25-2009, 05:25 AM
This article was so stupid funny dumb...what if this and what if that.

This writer didn't even put in any research
We owned the Blazers late in the season we were already in their heads.
Grant Hill was damaged goods Orlando sucked anyway, they needed a star player after Shaq split.
We still would have won the title in 1999......Come on who the hell was gonna stop us......and besides this team when it lost they came back the next game and blasted the opposition.

Leave to him to mention the Fucking Lakers and the 3 peat...WGAF about them anyway....this writer is a closet Laker fan.

DMX7
05-25-2009, 05:32 AM
I thought the Spurs sweept the Blazers in that series? I don't think one bad game where the Spurs just missed a great comeback would hurt them that much.

lol, exactly.

We were going to win that series no matter what... even if it took 7 games, but it did not, it took 4.

Muser
05-25-2009, 08:30 AM
:sleep:sleep:sleep

What would of happened if Fisher had missed 0.4? What if Horry missed in 05?

They DIDN'T miss, so what is the point in the article? Douche.

Obstructed_View
05-25-2009, 11:00 AM
:sleep:sleep:sleep

What would of happened if Fisher had missed 0.4? What if Horry missed in 05?

They DIDN'T miss, so what is the point in the article? Douche.

But the Spurs went 16-2 during that playoff run, so missing a three pointer at the end of that game woudn't have been the end of the world. The Spurs were down by like 20 earlier in that game, so the simple fact that they'd erased that lead just killed any confidence the Blazers had. Besides, AJ had been disrespected in the press by MM and would not be mishandled.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
But what remains on my mind is this:

does or doesn't kobe still ass rape that colorado slutbag

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-25-2009, 11:48 AM
June 15, 2003

Magic win NBA title: Led by the All-Star twosome of Duncan and Grant Hill, the Magic defeat the Dallas Mavericks in six games to claim their first NBA title. San Antonio weeps.

Grant Hill didn't play a game in '03 after January 15. I guess in this alternate universe the medical profession had some surgical breakthroughs in ankle treatment.

spursfan09
05-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok I'm done giving McDonald chances....

z0sa
05-25-2009, 12:16 PM
the only memorial day misfire here occurred in McDonald's brain

Ditty
05-25-2009, 12:26 PM
so then we would of got lebron

Extra Stout
05-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Let's see here, will San Antonio readers understand the tongue-in-cheek nature of the article, or will their San Antonio Inferiority Complex© get all red and inflamed?

Extra Stout
05-26-2009, 09:02 AM
July 2000
A young aspiring journalist named Kori is excited to land a job in central Florida where she can continue following her favorite player, Tim Duncan. She marries a computer programmer from the Bahamas, and they go on to found MagicTalk.com, one of the most popular NBA forums on the Net.

April 2003
A San Antonio resident named TJ Ellis says goodbye to flailing website SanAntonioBuildings.com, once called SpursReport.com, after a final falling out with site owner Buddy Holly. He goes on to create the internet's premier site covering Dominican baseball.

June 2003
Two former NBA fans named Marcus Bryant and Ghost Writer have their final argument on SanAntonioBuildings.com -- a fifteen-page thread about whether a 100-acre site near Helotes should be developed as purely a commercial site, or as mixed-use commercial/residential.

July 2004
After waiting four years to see if San Antonio could land another professional sports franchise, every single national business in San Antonio spontaneously packs up and moves to Austin, Houston or Dallas. San Antonio withers to a dusty outpost town on the road to Monterrey. People from Detroit feel sorry for San Antonians when they see all the vacant, decaying buildings.

June 2005
The Orlando Magic beat the Detroit Pistons in seven tough games, then waltz through the Phoenix Suns in five games for another title.

September 2005
Following Hurricane Katrina, Tom Benson temporarily relocates the Saints to Memphis. His former home of San Antonio had to tear apart the Alamodome for scrap to supply all the shantytowns that have sprung up in the area.

December 2006
The Tim Duncan costumed character at Walt Disney World surpasses Mickey Mouse in popularity among visitors.

February 2007
Responding to changing trends in the culture, the NBA replaces the Slam Dunk competition during All-Star Weekend with the new Bank Shot contest.

June 2007
The Orlando Magic defeat the Phoenix Suns in a controversial NBA Finals series involving the suspensions of Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw for one game. Phoenicians develop a psychological complex against Orlando.

December 2007
Demonstrative celebrations have been completely replaced in the American sports culture by the deadpan dispassionate stare.

March 2009
Disney introduces the new Duncan's Gaming Kingdom video game-themed resort park at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Spurminator
05-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Damn, tough crowd.