PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Miracles Tie, Until Impact Is Measured

duncan228
05-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Miracles tie, until impact is measured (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Miracles_tie_until_impact_is_measured.html)
Buck Harvey

The exhilaration hadn't faded late Friday night, with the media still jamming the locker room. So he went into the weight room, if just for some peace, and there the Cavaliers' strength coach had a question for him.

Was that the greatest shot he had ever seen?

Hank Egan paused.

“No,” Egan told him. “It's tied for the greatest.”

Ten years ago this holiday weekend, in the second game of another conference championship, Egan stood courtside in San Antonio to watch another miracle. Egan is the common element.

But he says LeBron James tied Sean Elliott only in dramatics.

Elliott has the edge, right now, because of what followed.

Egan left the Spurs years ago, and he's been through a few things since. He became one of Mike Brown's assistants in Cleveland, and he was there when the Spurs swept the Cavs in the 2007 NBA Finals.

About a year ago, too, he had bypass surgery. “Thank goodness,” Egan joked, “I had the surgery before last night.”

His heart had calmed by Saturday. Then he talked on his cell while sitting on the Cavaliers' charter. The team was readying to fly to Orlando.

He kept using the word “amazing,” and just as amazing was how eerily similar he felt during another trip. Then, heading to Portland in 1999, he felt the same mix of joy, awe and relief.

Elliott teetered on the sidelines as James released with 0.6 seconds to spare; both were trying to beat what appeared to be a better opponent. The Blazers had so much size and talent that Jermaine O'Neal was a young sub who rarely played, and Orlando presses Cleveland with similar strengths.

Another similarity, Egan said, is that “both shots were well defended.” Rasheed Wallace stretched at Elliott, and James leaped with Hedo Turkoglu with him.

There were contrasts, too. Elliott's shot wasn't a buzzer beater. And unlike the Cavaliers, the Spurs were ahead 1-0 in their series going into that game.

The most significant disparity, however, was the attitude shift. The Cavs have already been to the Finals with James. Perhaps he needed the moment to continue his climb to Jordanian legend, but Cleveland already had the sense that, because of him, anything was possible.

“It was weird,” said Lance Blanks, another former Spurs staffer who is now Cleveland's assistant general manager. “There was almost an expectation that something was going to happen.

Hedo's shot (for the Orlando lead) didn't take the air out of the building. I might have seen only one fan ready to leave; the arena was still electric before the shot. Even as LeBron went up, there was an expectation a miracle was going to happen.”

There were no such expectations in 1999. The Spurs were not known for winning games that mattered.

Then there was the central figure. “The old Sean Elliott would have gone into the fourth quarter with 19 points,” Mario Elie said that day, “and ended with 19 points.”

But Elliott's heels famously hovered inbounds, and everything changed. The Spurs flew to Portland feeling as they never had before, and the Blazers cracked. The Spurs would sweep the series, then win their first title, and suddenly there was belief.

“There is a feeling a franchise gets,” Egan said. “When you win one, it changes how everyone sees themselves. That one got us on the march.”

The march slowed this spring. Still, the power of what happened then is undeniable, especially when marked by James and his own miracle.

The march has been going on for 10 years, after all.

antimvp
05-24-2009, 12:23 AM
whatever and how many clutch shots has Manu/Sjax made IN THE FINALS. about 20 more the Lebron ever will.

50Bestspurever
05-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Fucking awesome article, dont know how many posters (and the key word here is posters not columnist) who still think Buck is stealing there takes. LOL

jrmp317
05-24-2009, 10:23 AM
completely different situations, the Spurs came back from a large deficit with the final score being their only lead of the game. The Cavs nearly coughed up a 23 point lead, that shot merely saves their season from probably ending in 4 games.

Elliott's shot > LeBron's shot

Russ
05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
completely different situations, the Spurs came back from a large deficit with the final score being their only lead of the game. The Cavs nearly coughed up a 23 point lead, that shot merely saves their season from probably ending in 4 games.

Elliott's shot > LeBron's shot

On Sean's behalf:

The Spurs' incredible comeback in the game was a story by itself, even if it wasn't capped by "the shot." That added even more drama to the shot.

On LBJ's behalf:

The Cavs inbounded the ball with only 1 second left (I think the Spurs had considerably more time, in fact, I remember the Spurs had to stop Portland after Sean's shot). It was almost as if Fisher's .4 shot had been a fadeaway three-pointer on top of everything else.

It's a tie (for now).

JWest596
05-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Sean's had a killer instinct (rare for the Spurs then).
James' was out of desperation. And the Spurs eventually won it all, The Cavs are unproven.

There's a big difference between the two in comparison. Then again, I'm biased.

Gervin44Silas13
05-25-2009, 05:44 AM
WTF with the Lebron and Sean Comparisions?
1999 was our moment...we had aa balanced team with a killer instinct that Mario Ellie brought to the team.....see that final week of the regular season who we had to beat.....jazz, blazers twice, and GS to win the division.

The Cavs they are a good team but their mind set is one guy..the next so called Jordan... which is a crock of ***!

Jordan NEVER Lost a NBA Finals he made sure his team was not going to lose!
KO-raper-Be and LBJ have lost one NBA Finals...they can NEVER be on the same boat with MJ....

lest we forget Duncan...has NEVER lost a NBA Finals ethier!

We have never had a moniker moment at least our team for that matter.
But I can name a few....that we have had...during our title run...

MDM of course...

"Kerr and Jackson on Ice" 2003 WCF Vs Dallas Game 6
"Admiral Sails off" 2003 NBA Finals Game 6
"Big Shot Rob I" 2005 NBA 1st round Vs Nuggets Game 5
"Big Shot Rob II" 2005 NBA Finals Game 5 or "Horry's Father's Day Fury"
"The Block I" 2005 NBA Finals Game 7 Bowen Block on Billups
"King James breaks his Crown" 2007 Game 1 NBA Finals
or "Fundamental blocks the King"
"The No-Call" 2007 NBA Finals Game 3 or "The Foul", or "Mistake By the Lake"

Yuixafun
05-25-2009, 10:35 AM
"Kerr and Jackson on Ice" 2003 WCF Vs Dallas Game 6

Mmm, pour me up a shot... ah what the hell, rounds on me, shots for everybody!