PDA

View Full Version : What's missing in Carmelo's repertoire

lefty
05-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Carmelo has matured a lot, but I think he should me more vocal towards the referees.

When Duncan, Kobe or Jordan don't like a call, they go talk to therefs to put pressure on them.

Yesterday, tons of shitty calls didn't go Denver's way, and no Nugget complained to the zebras. Melo should have done that.

I think Melo has enough credibility now to yap at the refs and put pressure on them

pauls931
05-24-2009, 01:34 PM
bitching to/about refs is a spurs thing...

lefty
05-24-2009, 01:35 PM
bitching to/about refs is a spurs thing...

At least we're good at it

Suns have tried, but still got owned :D

SouthTexasRancher
05-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Ha, ha...damn straight, Lefty...we can bitch with the best of them.

BTW, I didn't realize there were any Phoney Sunette fans left??? I thought their team moved to Ames, Iowa or Roswell, New Mexico. After all they have been a non-existant franchise for the past 10 years or so. :wakeup

lefty
05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Ha, ha...damn straight, Lefty...we can bitch with the best of them.

BTW, I didn't realize there were any Phoney Sunette fans left??? I thought their team moved to Ames, Iowa or Roswell, New Mexico. After all they have been a non-existant franchise for the past 10 years or so. :wakeup
I've always thought Nash looked like an Alien

SouthTexasRancher
05-24-2009, 01:59 PM
BTW, I think where Carmelo needs to go from here is getting that 'Killer' instinct that all the great champions have/had from Russell to Jordan to Bird & Magic to Hakeem to Timmy, Kobe & Shaq. That ability to take over in the closing minutes when the pressure is on and bring the 'W' to your team. Denver could have really used a fired up Carmelo in the closing minutes yesterday. Part of the NBA maturing process that he'll either get and go down as a winner or instead be remembered as a tall AI or skinny Barkley and never win a championship. He has the coach and players around him to help make it happen. We'll see how he does in game 4. .

SouthTexasRancher
05-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I've always thought Nash looked like an Alien

He looks like a Gray with hair. I think he should come to the Spurs and backup Tony so he'll finally get a ring. Nice place to retire in his old age. Retire as a Champion.

BUMP
05-24-2009, 02:12 PM
The only problem with Melo, is the lack of playoff success. He hasn't really done anything until this year. The same thing happened with Wade. Nobody even thought he was a superstar but as soon as he won the title, he was up there with the likes of Kobe and LeBron.

Wade and Kobe also put on great performances on the biggest stage, while Melo has yet to even get the opportunity to do so. If the Nuggets win the title this year, he will be talked about as one of the game's greats.

SouthTexasRancher
05-24-2009, 02:16 PM
The only problem with Melo, is the lack of playoff success. He hasn't really done anything until this year. The same thing happened with Wade. Nobody even thought he was a superstar but as soon as he won the title, he was up there with the likes of Kobe and LeBron.

Wade and Kobe also put on great performances on the biggest stage, while Melo has yet to even get the opportunity to do so. If the Nuggets win the title this year, he will be talked about as one of the game's greats.

I think Melo & JR will light it up Monday night. Denver looked tired/flat/out of sync/??? yesterday.

jag
05-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Leadership.

Double-Up
05-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Defense

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Nash and Shaq got tons of calls once Amare got injured. Amare ruins it for the Suns because he barely has enough credibility to talk to the refs let alone yell at them and talk about them in post game press conferences like he does.

If I were a ref I'd listen to a 4 time champion or a two time MVP calmly talking to me rather than some ghetto punk yelling at me telling me I disrespect him like the cops disrespected Tupac (that's an actual Amare quote).

Jacko
05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Carmello lacks brains. He is and will forever be an idiot coached by an idiot.

pauls931
05-24-2009, 03:44 PM

0 rings faggot! :lol

urunobili
05-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Class

lefty
05-24-2009, 06:12 PM
0 rings faggot! :lol
:lol:toast

dirk4mvp
05-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Class

Michael Jordan was an asshole. Didn't stop him.

lefty
05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Leadership.

I agree.

He has to step up and say 1 thing or 2 to some of his hot headed teammates

JamStone
05-24-2009, 06:21 PM
There's a lot to be said about intangibles like leadership, composure, patience, and things like that that can be the difference between a really good player and a great player. I also do think Melo doesn't get quite the respect that players like Wade or LeBron get. But, then again, neither does Kobe really but he finds a way to still be one of the best players in the league.

As far as his game goes, I think a couple things are holding Carmelo back. While he's shown specifically in these playoffs and this series that he can be a capable and even pretty good defender, he doesn't defend consistently. Part of the blame goes to George Karl and his coaching style, the Nuggets style of play, and Melo's teammates in the past who didn't allow him to be a better defender. It's hard to be a good team defender when no one else is defending except the center and he's only stat padding his rebounds and blocks. Secondly, Carmelo needs to improve his play-making ability in crunch time. He's already shown that he's capable of making clutch shots, but I'm not convinced he could force a defense to collapse on him AND make a good pass to get a teammate a great shot. Even when he's double teamed, late in close games, I see him still trying to force shots so he can be the hero. Similarly, I don't know if he's capable of making any other clutch play other than hitting a shot. When the game's on the line, will he get the clutch rebound? Will he make a clutch stop with individual defense? Will he get a clutch steal or a clutch block? I've seen guys like Kobe and LeBron make clutch plays that don't necessarily involve making a shot. Carmelo, he may have but I don't recall any.

If he works on those things, and then learns how to become a better leader (as some of you have mentioned), and learns how to talk to officials respectfully so that he can start getting more favorable calls especially when they count, I think the rest of his game is good enough now and will get better to the point that he's on the same level as LeBron, Kobe, and Wade.

Nahtanoj
05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Michael Jordan was an asshole. Didn't stop him.

ducks
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
amazing
he has one bad game and he averaged 15 points against lakers in regular season
and he does not go for 30 in the 6 straight game and he gets called out

lefty
05-24-2009, 08:19 PM
amazing
We're not calling him out

He has been fantastic, but he still needs to be more vocal

JamStone
05-24-2009, 08:29 PM
amazing

This is a good comment except that it's by a poster who hates on LeBron James no matter how well he plays.

iggypop123
05-24-2009, 09:04 PM
the problem is the nuggets arent his team. its chauncey's team. he is #2 on the team.

Ghazi
05-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Melo's barely a top 10 player, maybe not even that.

Armando
05-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Be reincarnated as LeBron