PDA

View Full Version : Tubing...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Anyone float the river lately? I'm planning on making a trip sometime this week, and wondering if anyone had some suggestions on where. I know the Guadalupe and Comal are supposed to be pretty low right now.

dolacheck
05-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I work for Gruene River Company in New Braunfels. We take up the Guadalupe river and also let you float down depending the amount of time you wanna spend on the river. Your better off going up river, while it is slow, the city ordinances do not apply, therefore larger coolers and jello shots are ok! Any questions just let me know!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-24-2009, 11:36 PM
looking for around a 3-4 hour float

dolacheck
05-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Ya we do that. When are you lookin to come. We are open all week from 8am and we stop putting ppl in around 3-4 in the afternoon. http://www.toobing.com/ for more info.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Probably tuesday, what pricing are we looking at to rent tubes and a cooler?

dolacheck
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
I think its around 17 bucks a toob which includes parking and the shuttle service. Pretty low for the area actually.

ashbeeigh
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I've been twice in the past month and I think I see the Greune River Company tubes floating with us. I usually rent from Rockin' R (not that Gruene River company isn't bad in anyway) because you get out right where your car is and don't have to wait. Tubes with a bottom are the same $17. I just went yesterday. We walked like once or twice in our little area. Not too bad considering it's so low. If you google them you'll find a coupon for 20% off on weekdays too.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Cool, maybe we'll head out. I've also been suggested the San Marcos river, anyone been?

dolacheck
05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
San Marcos River sucks. Do the Comal or the Guadalupe in New Braunfels. You will have a way better time

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Should we bring our own cooler, or rent them out

ashbeeigh
05-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Should we bring our own cooler, or rent them out

Bring your own small one (16 something or another or less) and then rent the tube. Or, if you're not going to use the cooler ever again (or don't own one) then rent it. It's your call. It's just extra money. If you have your own then use it.

alamo50
05-26-2009, 04:22 AM
One of my best memories in San Antonio outside of bball.........

Summers
05-26-2009, 08:14 AM
San Marcos River sucks. Do the Comal or the Guadalupe in New Braunfels. You will have a way better time

The Lion's Club burned down just a few weeks ago, so no tubing in SM right now.

ORION
05-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Comal was good last week.

200 miles
05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
the Frio river in Concan :toast

koriwhat
05-26-2009, 11:54 AM
was gonna go this past weekend but the rain put a damper on that idea... fuckin' bs rain!

deadratsam
05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
So I can't bring my own tube and jump in the river, I have to pay someone and do it at specified hours?

tw05baller
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
The Lion's Club burned down just a few weeks ago, so no tubing in SM right now.

negative ghost rider....http://www.sanmarcosmercury.com/archives/8468

IceColdBrewski
05-26-2009, 10:45 PM
For those of you that have access to your own tubes and don't feel like paying someone else to get on a free river. Get your tubes loaded into 2 vehicles and drive to Comfort. Take the 27 to Hermann Sons Rd. Drive down to the bridge and park one of the vehicles. You can either stash the keys there under a rock, or bring them with and hope to keep them dry. Take the other vehicle (with tubes of course) back to the 27 and hang a left. Drive a few miles until you get to Lane Valley Rd. Drive down to the bridge and find a place to park. Start tubing. Once you get back to Hermann Sons bridge, you're done and you have a vehicle waiting there for you. The only thing left to do at that point is to drive back to Ln Valley bridge to get the other vehicle and head home. A whole day of tubing and you didn't have to pay anybody. You'll need a friend (or friends) of course for the other vehicle, but getting friends to go tubing usually isn't much of a problem.

Spurs16212
05-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Anyone float the river lately? I'm planning on making a trip sometime this week, and wondering if anyone had some suggestions on where. I know the Guadalupe and Comal are supposed to be pretty low right now.

Man.... I haven't been tubing in years.

I remember the last time I went I almost drowned though. I was trying to swim across the river and the current almost took me.

byrdman31
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
bump,

trying to get out there this weekend for the first time. :king

i remember they were trying to change the drinking laws out there last year, anyone know what happend ?

ashbeeigh
06-11-2009, 02:59 PM
bump,

trying to get out there this weekend for the first time. :king

i remember they were trying to change the drinking laws out there last year, anyone know what happend ?

just remember it's a 16 (ounce? That doesn't sound right...16 something..quart..that's not right either...somethng) cooler. If you're tubing the Comal and you have too big of a cooler it's a $200 + fine.

Blake
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
my nephew cam back last weekend from tubing with his foot all torn up.

The river is so low that his foot got caught in some rocks at just the wrong time and he had to have 16 stitches.

I've got at least 5 bad stories from tubing on the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers.

Not trying to discourage you.......just sayin.

LnGrrrR
06-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Tubing on the Guadalupe is awesome. I went with like, 15 friends one time, and I had tortilla chips, salsa, and queso with me. I managed to convince a few females to come over for free chips. :D

Blake
06-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Tubing on the Guadalupe is awesome. I went with like, 15 friends one time, and I had tortilla chips, salsa, and queso with me. I managed to convince a few females to come over for free chips. :D

pfft.

we used to convince females to flash for a jello shot.

chode_regulator
06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
For those of you that have access to your own tubes and don't feel like paying someone else to get on a free river. Get your tubes loaded into 2 vehicles and drive to Comfort. Take the 27 to Hermann Sons Rd. Drive down to the bridge and park one of the vehicles. You can either stash the keys there under a rock, or bring them with and hope to keep them dry. Take the other vehicle (with tubes of course) back to the 27 and hang a left. Drive a few miles until you get to Lane Valley Rd. Drive down to the bridge and find a place to park. Start tubing. Once you get back to Hermann Sons bridge, you're done and you have a vehicle waiting there for you. The only thing left to do at that point is to drive back to Ln Valley bridge to get the other vehicle and head home. A whole day of tubing and you didn't have to pay anybody. You'll need a friend (or friends) of course for the other vehicle, but getting friends to go tubing usually isn't much of a problem.
In no way am I bashing on you for this post, this is a serious question. But why do you have to go through all the trouble to go to that specific place? Is that the only way to do it, not only place but I mean you have to find your own spots? Can you not just go to say Rockin R and jump in with your own tube? if so, why not?
Im not saying your way is a pain, as I have no idea where you are talking about, but for some that might be too far. Or is only one river.

just remember it's a 16 (ounce? That doesn't sound right...16 something..quart..that's not right either...somethng) cooler. If you're tubing the Comal and you have too big of a cooler it's a $200 + fine.

I don't know the law but coolers are usually measured in quarts. At least every one I've ever seen.
Is that per person or per group? Per person that would be plenty of beer.

ashbeeigh
06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
In no way am I bashing on you for this post, this is a serious question. But why do you have to go through all the trouble to go to that specific place? Is that the only way to do it, not only place but I mean you have to find your own spots? Can you not just go to say Rockin R and jump in with your own tube? if so, why not?
Im not saying your way is a pain, as I have no idea where you are talking about, but for some that might be too far. Or is only one river.

There are certain spots that are private property and you could get arrested for trespassing. But sure, you can just jump in where the spots are public property. If I go again this season, which I know I will, I'm buying one of those river rat $9.99 tubes and calling it a day instead of wasting my time on $17 every time I go.

I don't know the law but coolers are usually measured in quarts. At least every one I've ever seen.
Is that per person or per group? Per person that would be plenty of beer.

I think it's just in general. You could pack like five 16 quart coolers, but if you happen to have a 24 quart cooler then you're screwed. It's not measured per person...that I know of.

ploto
06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Im not saying your way is a pain, as I have no idea where you are talking about, but for some that might be too far.

I know someone who lives in apartments on the river in San Marcos and you just jump in there. You need a car at the end to get back.

jack sommerset
06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Floating down the river is one of the nastiest things I ever have done. A big fat black women named BJ was tubing near us. She is laughing so hard holding on to her tube. Soon a terd was floating down the river. All the piss and shit makes me sick. I will never go tubing again.

chode_regulator
06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Floating down the river is one of the nastiest things I ever have done. A big fat black women named BJ was tubing near us. She is laughing so hard holding on to her tube. Soon a terd was floating down the river. All the piss and shit makes me sick. I will never go tubing again.

Thats pretty gross...and if I saw it I would be disturbed. But Im sure theres worse shit in the water. No pun intended, wait, maybe it is. Either way.

Blake
06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Take the 27 to Hermann Sons Rd. Drive down to the bridge and park one of the vehicles. You can either stash the keys there under a rock......

when are you next going and what does your car look like?

phyzik
06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Kayaking is much more fun and much less disgusting imo. The downside to Kayaking is the original investment. I had to drop $1000 just to get started with a good Kayak but you can get a cheap one from Academy for like $400. just remember you get what you pay for. My boss got one from Academy and he has to work much harder to stay upright on some of the more difficult rapids.

I feel it was a great investment though and its paid for itself many times over now. I have kayaked the upper and lower medina river, the Frio river, the Lano river and the guadalupe river. By far, the best is the Lano river imo. The upper Medina river (above the lake) has super clear water. You can see clearly to the bottom upwards of 15' deep.

Plus its great for fishing as well. Nothing like fighting a Bass fish from a kayak!

If anyone already has a kayak or plans on getting one, let me know and we can setup a group kayak some time.

Blake
06-12-2009, 09:50 AM

reminds me of Ron White talking about how he's amazed that after floating 6 hours on the river that nobody ever has to get out to go to the bathroom

jack sommerset
06-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Thats pretty gross...and if I saw it I would be disturbed. But Im sure theres worse shit in the water. No pun intended, wait, maybe it is. Either way.

:lol Either way is right. I am not germaphobe and I don't want to make anyone feel stupid in anyway because they like tubing.( I did it the first summer I was there) Folks come from miles around to float the Guadalupe River and Comal. They are sewers at this point. You are swimming in a toilet. I saw someone swim for ground only to turn around and piss in the river. That should have been it for me. The floating terd set me straight. It has been 11 years. No telling what is in those rivers! Shit ,piss,cum,puke,blood,sweat and what ever local business wants to dump. Stay out is my advice.

IceColdBrewski
06-12-2009, 02:03 PM

I have family in the Comfort area, and have tubed that stretch of the Guadalupe many times. It's only about 40 minutes away from SA, so it's not that far away. Was just throwing it out there as an option. You could tube that stretch all summer and never have to worry about fees or bringing your cooler along.

I wouldn't tube it now if you paid me though. All the river's around here are very low right now. It's gonna suck no matter where you go.

blizz
06-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Anyone go midnight tubing? We do it at the Comal...we put in and float for about 3 hours. There's hardly anyone out there and it's a BLAST.

marini martini
06-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Gad..............was in the Guadalupe today, way above the dam. It was seriously low, and disgustingly warm. Thanks to this thread, I felt like I was sitting in a toilet bowl. :(

Soul_Patch
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
when the river is actually moving it isnt that bad...its when it is slow that it is gross. Also i dont feel comfortable hanging my ass in the water and watchign a snake swim by about 20 yrds away.

ashbeeigh
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
So I'm taking my first trip down the river of the season tomorrow. I'm not planning the trip so I have no idea if we're doing the Comal or Guadalupe. Do y'all think it should be better than last year? I'm so flippin' stoked.

Blake
05-27-2010, 11:34 AM
So I'm taking my first trip down the river of the season tomorrow. I'm not planning the trip so I have no idea if we're doing the Comal or Guadalupe. Do y'all think it should be better than last year? I'm so flippin' stoked.

I'm sure the Toiletlupe River is flowing faster this year than last with all the rain.

Get ready to freeze your ass off if you are going tomorrow.

tlongII
05-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't believe ya'll have real rivers in Texas.

marini martini
05-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I went kayaking the Monday after Easter. Put in at Bergheim and paddled to the State Park. The Guadalupe river is up and gorgeous, as I'm sure most other rivers around here are as well, thanks to the rains we've had. Will be going to the Llano in a few weeks, and to the Frio in August.:toast

Whisky Dog
05-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't believe ya'll have real rivers in Texas.

It's a long ditch with water running through it. What's not to believe?