PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash Talks Playoffs, Gentry, His All-NBA Soccer Team

duncan228
05-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Ball Don't Lie.

Steve Nash talks playoffs, Gentry, his All-NBA soccer team (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Steve-Nash-talks-playoffs-Gentry-his-All-NBA-s?urn=nba,165336)
By J.E. Skeets

Early last week, I had the opportunity to fire some lighthearted questions at Phoenix Suns point guard, and fellow Canadian, Steve Nash. His answers showed up in my email inbox today. Here's our back and forth conversation about the NBA Playoffs, the LeBron/Kobe "debate," futebol and more. Enjoy.

Ball Don't Lie: You've done a fair amount of traveling the globe. Which city/country has been your favorite, and why? What's one place you would like to visit?

Steve Nash: I'm actually flying from Paraguay to Buenos Aires at the minute and Buenos Aires is one of my favorite cities, though there are many. I was recently in Hawaii and love it there and their culture as well. I'd love to go to India.

BDL: According to your Twitter feed (@The_Real_Nash (http://twitter.com/the_real_nash)) you've been watching a decent amount of the NBA Playoffs. Let's hear some thoughts. Who you got in the Finals?

Nash: I've only watched a few playoff games this year since I've been traveling constantly but they seem exciting. I feel like it's Cleveland’s year because their chemistry is so good.

BDL: Mini-follow up to that: When you watch a basketball game on television, do you watch it purely as a spectator or is there part of your brain that refuses to give up observing it as a pro basketball player?

Nash: I only watch as a spectator, but I'm always trying to learn.

BDL: Hypothetical scenario: David Stern falls in love with soccer and leaves the L. You, Steve Nash, are named NBA commissioner. (Congrats!) What's the first issue you try to address? How do you go about fixing it?

Nash: If I were commissioner I'd want the regular season to mean something more than playoff seedings. It indicates who the best team is over the course of 82 games and that's the most telling accomplishment and should be rewarded like the playoffs.

8_g4OPlPvwU

BDL: Your vitaminwater team currently has a pretty cool spot running that asks, "Who's better: LeBron or Kobe?" As a guy who has played against them both, who you got? "Who do you want holding the ball with the game on the line?"

Nash: Yeah, vitaminwater has fans choosing between Kobe and LeBron on Facebook (facebook.com/vitaminwater (http://www.facebook.com/vitaminwater)). Personally, I think it's an impossible question. I guess if pushed I'd say LeBron is the better well-rounded player ... but I'd want Kobe to take the last shot.

BDL: More hypothetical fun: For reasons unknown, the NBA has decided to field a World Cup soccer team. You're asked to captain the squad and pick the remaining 10 players. (Congrats again!) Who do you choose?

Nash: My NBA soccer team would be: Ronny Turiaf in goal, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Luol Deng and Baron Davis in the back, myself, Jason Kidd, Manu Ginobili and Jose Calderon in midfield and Tony Parker and Andrei Kirilenko up front.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/nashnbasoccer.jpg

BDL: A few days ago, Alvin Gentry and your Suns agreed to a three-year coaching deal that finally removes that pesky "interim" tag from his title. How important is it to maintain some sense of continuity going from season to season? Or is that an overrated media term — continuity?

Nash: I'm really happy the Suns have signed Alvin Gentry. He's a great coach with a lot of experience. I believe in continuity and a franchise having a vision and philosophy. Having the security of the coach is important.

BDL: Speaking of coaching, a lot of Twitter folk wanted to know whether you have any desire to coach at some level after your NBA playing days are done?

Nash: I've never wanted to coach, but who knows how I'll feel about that in ten years.

BDL: Finally, a few rapid-fire questions: Who or what always puts a smile on your face?

Nash: My wife and kids.

BDL: What's your favorite movie? And you can't say that Shaq/Tucker one you directed (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Steve-Nash-directs-Shaq-and-Suns-in-Supe?urn=nba,158585).

Nash: "The Big Lebowski."

BDL: What's your worst vice?

Nash: The odd glass of wine or beer.

peskypesky
05-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Nash: If I were commissioner I'd want the regular season to mean something more than playoff seedings. It indicates who the best team is over the course of 82 games and that's the most telling accomplishment and should be rewarded like the playoffs.

:lmao

He wants a regular season trophy? What a douche.

Typhoon
05-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Steve Nash ftw.

Bukefal
05-25-2009, 05:47 AM
BDL: More hypothetical fun: For reasons unknown, the NBA has decided to field a World Cup soccer team. You're asked to captain the squad and pick the remaining 10 players. (Congrats again!) Who do you choose?

Nash: My NBA soccer team would be: Ronny Turiaf in goal, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Luol Deng and Baron Davis in the back, myself, Jason Kidd, Manu Ginobili and Jose Calderon in midfield and Tony Parker and Andrei Kirilenko up front.

That would be awesome, this team against some european football team. :toast:toast:toast I wish they would do something like this, for charity or something. :lol

TP as a striker :king

lurker
05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
:lmao

He wants a regular season trophy? What a douche.
Is that what he was getting at? :lol

I wish they would do something like this, for charity or something.Baron, Barbosa, Bell and Kidd played in Nash's charity soccer game last year. I think he's planning on doing another one soon.

Imposter Cleaner
05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

This team would be all-international if Kidd and Baron got replaced.

Brazil
05-25-2009, 08:50 AM
This team would be all-international if Kidd and Baron got replaced.

quite logic ! :rollin at Turiaff as a goal keeper

Bukefal
05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
http://www.looktothestars.org/news/2194-steve-nash-to-hold-charity-soccer-showdown

Steve Nash To Hold Charity Soccer Showdown

March 13, 2009 by Delinda Lombardo

Two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash is agile with more than a just basketball. The well-known humanitarian is also making a name for himself in the world of soccer, electrifying fans with soccer skills while playing host to some amazing celebrity fundraisers. And this year, the Phoenix Suns guard has several charity soccer games planned to raise awareness and funds for the Steve Nash Foundation.

Nash’s soccer Showdown series includes a charity soccer game in downtown Vancouver on Sept. 19. The match will include appearances by fellow NBA stars, some of soccer’s best players and other celebrities. No ‘official’ date has been set, but Nash spoke about his plans earlier this week.

“We’re trying to bring the world’s best athletes to the street, a really grassroots level, where the fans can reach out and touch them,” he said.

Last year in New York, fans went to great lengths to witness the ‘Showdown in Chinatown’ event where some of world’s biggest sports stars competed. Participants included the NBA’s Baron Davis and FC Barcelona striker and World Cup winner Thierry Henry.

This year, Nash’s Showdown Series will visit Los Angeles and New York as well as Vancouver.

COOL!!! :toast

Rogue
05-25-2009, 09:12 AM

AK's height gives him dominance in front of the gate when there comes a corner kick, but he isn't quite useful in the field over all. Just like what Crouch is to the England national team, a big presence may not bring a benefit to his team, that's why his club - Liverpool bought in Robby Keane last summer.

Turiaf is the tallest among those guys so he is rationally the goal keeper, but the ground shots are likely to make his size a downfall. In fact, most basketball players have more than enough height to play GK in soccer field, the only requirement is quickness and athleticism. Fernandez would be my selection standing at the gate if I were the coach of this team.

Kidd should walk around the mid field rather than the side walk, considering his muscled body and slow speed. Manu should sit back to bench to play as the 12nd man. Tony Longoria is an ideal striker, what he needs is an experienced partener who can feed him the damn ball at the front line. With perfect vision and skills, Nash is perhaps the best option to be patched in front field with TL.

GK: Fernandez
LB: Barbosa; CB: Deng, Bell; RB: Baron
LM: JJB; CB: Jose, Kidd; RM: Rodriguez
ST: Nash, Longoria

urunobili
05-25-2009, 09:18 AM
That's a bad ass 4-4-2 lineup right there...

you gotta love Steve Nash... i wish he holds some basketball camps in Argentina and that someway he hits Uruguay too... he's all class :tu

lefty
05-25-2009, 09:29 AM
So, just because those guys are not from the U.S means they are good soccer players ?

Plus, AK47 needs to take some flopping lessons from Inzaghi

Jeremy
05-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Nash: I'm really happy the Suns have signed Alvin Gentry. He's a great coach with a lot of experience. I believe in continuity and a franchise having a vision and philosophy. Having the security of the coach is important.

Does that sound like he's even talking about his own team?

Sounds to me like he knows he's not coming back.

endrity
05-25-2009, 03:03 PM
So, just because those guys are not from the U.S means they are good soccer players ?

Plus, AK47 needs to take some flopping lessons from Inzaghi

Nah, at this point Kirilenko is right up there with Inzaghi in flopping terms. But he should learn a bit on how to score without breaking a sweat all game long.

timvp
05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
BDL: Hypothetical scenario: David Stern falls in love with soccer and leaves the L. You, Steve Nash, are named NBA commissioner. (Congrats!) What's the first issue you try to address? How do you go about fixing it?

:lmao :lmao

That's gold.

manufan10
05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Does that sound like he's even talking about his own team?

Sounds to me like he knows he's not coming back.

That's what I was thinking too.

:lol This coming from the guy whose team struggles in the playoffs and is known as only being a good regular season team. :lmao

ShoogarBear
05-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Those damn playoffs, always ruining people's perception of who is the best team.