PDA

View Full Version : Lyoto Machida

Evan
05-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Taken from BE

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/5/24/885423/lyoto-machida-career-report

I tend to visit FightMetric from time to time in order to see what cool things they have over there. They give fight-by-fight reports on the big fights that happen and they also give out career reports. The most interesting career report might be that of Lyoto Machida. It's not so much that you are able to look at his fight-by-fight report, minus his first career bout against Kengo Watanabe, but it's the fact that you are able to see the sheer dominance that Machida has been able to amass on his way to an undefeated record and UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. And the best part is when you look at who he has faced in his career. He's faced the likes of Stephan Bonnar, Rich Franklin, B.J. Penn, Tito Ortiz, Sokoudjou, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Thiago Silva, and, now, Rashad Evans. So, let's take a look at how truly dominant and devastating Machida has been throughout his career. I'll break it down into an easy-to-read format.

A look back at Lyoto Machida's career in terms of how many times he's been hit during a fight.

Rashad Evans: 3-of-21 (14.28%)
Thiago Silva: 2-of-9 (22.22%)
Tito Ortiz: 13-of-46 (28.26%)
Thierry Sokoudjou: 3-of-19 (15.79%)
Kazuhiro Nakamura: 11-of-27 (40.74%)
David Heath: 6-of-41 (14.63%)
Sam Hoger: 8-of-42 (19.05%)
Vernon White: 4-of-52 (7.69%)
Dimitri Wanderley: 11-of-42 (26.19%)
B.J. Penn: 28-of-49 (57.14%)
Sam Greco: 7-of-16 (43.75%)
Michael McDonald: 0-of-1 (0.00%)
Rich Franklin: 6-of-19 (31.58%)
Stephan Bonnar: 6-of-28 (21.43%)
__________________________________________________ _____
Total: 108-of-412 (26.21%)

Penn had the most success. White threw the most strikes but had the lowest percentage of all opponents who attempted at least two.

I couldn't find any data on his first career fight which was against Kengo Watanabe.

Takedowns Attempted: 20-of-29 (68.96%)
Takedowns Defended: 8-of-41 (19.51%)

He's landed 20 of 29 takedowns that he has attempted while only being taken down eight times by opponents during their 41 attempts.

Total Guard Passes For: 48
Total Guard Passes Against: 3

He landed 13 against Sam Hoger alone. The only fighters to pass Machida's guard are Hoger, Penn, and Nakamura. One each. The furthest anyone has gotten in Machida's guard was to half-guard. And that was Penn, from what I could find.

Submission Attempts For: 7
Submission Attempts Against: 5

He attempted four against Sokoudjou alone. Ortiz and Sokoudjou each notched two against Machida while Greco had the other.

Total Dominance Rating: 2845-561

That's a 5-to-1 advantage. Think about that. Penn had the most success against him (150).

Has there ever been a fighter in MMA history, not just UFC history, that has dominated opponents as much as Machida has in all aspects?

BWS-1994
05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Awesome numbers. If he was a video game character, he'd have grade A agility.

He does remind me of Street Fighter's Ryu...

Evan
05-25-2009, 01:00 PM
pow! pow!

BlackSwordsMan
05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Awesome numbers. If he was a video game character, he'd have grade A agility.

He does remind me of Street Fighter's Ryu...

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii134/Aleks_andr/RyuMachida.jpg

Evan
05-25-2009, 03:30 PM
^awesome

robbie380
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
i honestly believe there is no competition for machida in the ufc. him and silva would be good if they actually wanted to fight each other but they don't.

gsp v machida could be good if it was at a catch weight but machida is so much bigger than gsp it wouldn't be fair.

a randy couture at a catch weight would be good but couture would need to be a few years younger.

a bas rutten style fighter would be badass to watch against machida but there is no one out there like bas.

maybe shogun if he can regain that pride dominance that he had but he has a long way to go.

i love quinton but i can't see his style giving machida troubles.

Evan
06-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Told ya Machida winning was the best thing to happen to Tito and that he would use it to get back into the UFC...

Posted June 4, 2009
Former UFC champion – Tito Ortiz (15-6-1) recently spoke about his plans for competing in MMA and where he thinks he fits in with the rest of the division whilst being inactive for over a year . Ortiz last competed at UFC 84 in May of 2008 where he lost via unanimous decision to current Light Heavyweight champion – Lyoto Machida. Since then Ortiz has been working closely with Affliction taking up a commentating role. His future in MMA is still uncertain, but he comments that he is still looking to compete where ever it may be and still ranks himself amongst the top light heavyweights in the world;

“Its funny how people have counted me out already, because I lost the current champ, who have I lost to since then?. To be honest I would be more than willing to have a rematch with Machida, in my fight against him - he was running the whole time but at times he was wasting energy and I could feel that I was slowly wearing him down. I could tell he [Machida] starting fading in the third round, if it was a five round fight I’m fairly confident I would’ve beaten him in the later rounds.

The thing is he’s never gone past the third round before and that’s a big deal when you’re fighting the elite in MMA, going into championship rounds really test your cardio and that’s where I feel I would really have the advantage. If Dana could put his personal issues aside for once and I probably would be the LHW champ right now.

Although Ortiz has not signed with another organisation he maintains that he will not be re-signing with the UFC any time soon;

I’ve said it before countless number of times I will re-sign with UFC, as long as Dana isn’t the president of the UFC anymore until then I will be more than happy to go fight for someone else. You know I’m still very much relevant in the LHW divison and I will prove it to everyone once I step back in there.

Evan
06-06-2009, 09:12 AM
And reading those quotes...Tito is a moron. He really needs to shut up until he does something.

dbreiden83080
06-06-2009, 02:27 PM
And reading those quotes...Tito is a moron. He really needs to shut up until he does something.

Yeah he runs his mouth too much but he is trying to stay relevant while on the sidelines. He needs a great fight, no doubt about that but if he has it when he gets healthy, he will be relevant again..

Evan
06-06-2009, 04:12 PM
yeah true of course but man...its a no win situation and makes you look extremely desperate when you're trash talking someone so dominate.

angelbelow
06-07-2009, 01:49 AM
incredible..

Evan
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/15wdyqq.gif

^

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotohogerpunch01.gif

^ perfect head movement avoiding that counter punch

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/smoogyFIGHT/lyotoheathknees02.gif

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/jackfurious1fan/machida.gif