PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell straight talks

Gino
05-25-2009, 01:54 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/05/24/colin_powell_cheney_is_misinformed.html

Geez I wish it had been him (President). No stupid slogans or blanket statements.

Some things that he points out:

1) Bush wanted to close Guantanamo...had been trying for years.

2) Bush administration stopped using the Enhanced techniques in 2003.

3) Republican party is way too un-inclusive. Says the idea that all these politicians have to keep apologizing for criticizing Rush is silly.

4) Says Obama screwed up when he went to Congress and asked for money to close Gitmo without a plan.

5) Says he has no idea if the enhanced techniques work or not.

6) Points out that republicans cant just talk about limited government, especially if the government is needed.

If you want to know anything about leadership, read his auto-biography or watch various leadership presentations based off his philosophies.

He's lucky I wasn't interviewing. At the end I wanted to say "are you suuuuuurrre you dont want to be president? We sure could use you right now".

angrydude
05-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Didn't he lie to the UN to get us into Iraq? Or was that debatable? I forget.

And frankly I don't give a shit about the Republican party if it isn't about limiting government. Then its just the party of anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage.

Quite frankly, no one is against the government when it is needed, the problem is it isn't needed as much as the politicians pretend it is.

FaithInOne
05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
It's too bad he thinks Americans need bigger government.

boutons_deux
05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
"Didn't he lie to the UN to get us into Iraq?"

His key staffers had serious doubts, the CIA director and other people knew the aluminum tubes/mobile weapons lab was bullshit, but whether Powell really knew it was bullshit and went ahead anyway, Good Soldier and all that Good German/Following Orders bullshit.

"he thinks Americans need bigger government"

quote where he said that, or do you just distort, dissemble, and lie reflexively, like all the wrongies here?

angrydude
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
quote where he said that, or do you just distort, dissemble, and lie reflexively, like all the wrongies here?

From the paraphrase of this

6. Points out that republicans cant just talk about limited government, especially if the government is needed.

The way I read that, it says he's criticizing Republicans who are criticizing the way the govt. is handling the economic crisis because "the govt. is needed."

Otherwise why mention that? It sounds like something a neo-con would say and I'm not really down with that.

FaithInOne
05-25-2009, 06:35 PM
"Didn't he lie to the UN to get us into Iraq?"

His key staffers had serious doubts, the CIA director and other people knew the aluminum tubes/mobile weapons lab was bullshit, but whether Powell really knew it was bullshit and went ahead anyway, Good Soldier and all that Good German/Following Orders bullshit.

"he thinks Americans need bigger government"

He said this weeks ago on one of the tv interviews about Americans actually wanting bigger government so the reps should bend to the will of the people.

boutons_deux
05-25-2009, 06:43 PM
"about Americans actually wanting bigger government"

still waiting...

where did Powell say HE wanted bigger government?

angrydude
05-25-2009, 08:16 PM
"about Americans actually wanting bigger government"

still waiting...

where did Powell say HE wanted bigger government?

Who cares what he personally wants? I'm concerned about what he would do. He isn't running for office but he enables those who do.

If he thinks its good policy for the government to cave to people who want bigger government, then that means he doesn't care so his personal convictions can't be that strong either way.

And if he doesn't care either way, then he's just like Bush and all the rest. No use.

He may be a nice guy, but the Republican party has been controlled by nice people who don't care for far too long.

Wild Cobra
05-25-2009, 11:23 PM
He's a RINO...

A republican stands for the republic. Not national policy. The idea of the republic is states rights!

JoeChalupa
05-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Powell kicked Cheney and Limpballs ass over the weekend. I've always said I'd vote for Powell.

gtownspur
05-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Powell kicked Cheney and Limpballs ass over the weekend. I've always said I'd vote for Powell.

Yeah, okay you're impartial, Hopebreath.

That's like i should also take Wild Cobra's word if he said Palin kicked Hillary's ass in a foreign policy debate.

JoeChalupa
05-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah, okay you're impartial, Hopebreath.

That's like i should also take Wild Cobra's word if he said Palin kicked Hillary's ass in a foreign policy debate.

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion about Palin. Powell layed it out very clearly that Cheney or Rush are NOT the voice of the republican party and Powell is easily more popular than either of those two far-right nutjobs.

Ignignokt
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey, you are entitled to your opinion about Palin. Powell layed it out very clearly that Cheney or Rush are NOT the voice of the republican party and Powell is easily more popular than either of those two far-right nutjobs.
I'm sorry but you're real ignorant, and i feel bad having to respond to you.

they never said they were (only in a mockingly fashion by rush), its been the whitehouse and gibbs who put that moniker on Rush and Cheney because they've been vocal.

If any of them had seriously claimed that title, then you'd have all the right.

But this whole calling someone a spokesman of the RNC is strategic tool by the WH to try to deflate an opposing argument. Obama does this because he knows a large percentage of the american audience are fools, or better yet Joe Chalupas who don't do their research.

So now that we established that, now we can move to your whole "popular than thou" argument. You know what? Colin is more popular than rush.. so is brittney, justin and cookie monster, and by that same token lance armstrong, santa clause and the easter bunny have more favoribility ratings than the One.

What does this mean, like ahole putzes who vote for someone out of flimsy 2 bit Martin Luther King talking pull string doll speaches, nothing.

George Gervin's Afro
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM

they never said they were (only in a mockingly fashion by rush), its been the whitehouse and gibbs who put that moniker on Rush and Cheney because they've been vocal.

But this whole calling someone a spokesman of the RNC is strategic tool by the WH to try to deflate an opposing argument. Obama does this because he knows a large percentage of the american audience are fools, or better yet Joe Chalupas who don't do their research.

So now that we established that, now we can move to your whole "popular than thou" argument. You know what? Colin is more popular than rush.. so is brittney, justin and cookie monster, and by that same token lance armstrong, santa clause and the easter bunny have more favoribility ratings than the One.

What does this mean, like ahole putzes who vote for someone out of flimsy 2 bit Martin Luther King talking pull string doll speaches, nothing.

why would obama have to delfate the arguments that have been smashed over the last 2 elections? I gte it you still see the shrinking GOP as a viable party...

JoeChalupa
05-26-2009, 09:45 AM

My ignorant ass has done my research and your bringing up britney and justin shows your ignorance. :lmao

Don't get your panties in such a wad because your party is in a mess and I feel that more republicans are thinking like Powell.

Stump
05-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I really really like Powell, and he does bring up a lot of good points on issues. I would have supported him if he made a run at the Oval Office.

The problem is, he's adamant on expanding the republican base, yet went against a moderate McCain in favor of an ultra liberal Obama, which completely destroys his credibility with the rest of the party. If he had supported McCain, or even remained neutral, I think he could have been a real leader in a party that is starving for new leaders and a new look.

jacobdrj
05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
I really really like Powell, and he does bring up a lot of good points on issues. I would have supported him if he made a run at the Oval Office.

The problem is, he's adamant on expanding the republican base, yet went against a moderate McCain in favor of an ultra liberal Obama, which completely destroys his credibility with the rest of the party. If he had supported McCain, or even remained neutral, I think he could have been a real leader in a party that is starving for new leaders and a new look.

It was John's mis-step. Had he not gotten a very conservative running mate, CP probably would have supported him. But McCain tried to please members of his own party, while estranging just about all the moderates and every non-bible-thumping woman. Whether or not it is reality, the perception of what Palin represented killed John's credibility, and CP just couldn't back that...

Stump
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll agree with you on that point, but we're talking about the right's perception of Powell. The way they see it, he clearly backstabbed them and is not to be trusted.

Frankly, I can't blame them. Right or wrong, Colin Powell put himself in this situation.

JoeChalupa
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
It was John's mis-step. Had he not gotten a very conservative running mate, CP probably would have supported him. But McCain tried to please members of his own party, while estranging just about all the moderates and every non-bible-thumping woman. Whether or not it is reality, the perception of what Palin represented killed John's credibility, and CP just couldn't back that...

I concur. Good point.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2009, 12:39 PM

But this whole calling someone a spokesman of the RNC is strategic tool by the WH to try to deflate an opposing argument. Obama does this because he knows a large percentage of the american audience are fools, or better yet Joe Chalupas who don't do their research.So, according to your research, who is the real leader of the Republicans right now?

Sarah Palin
05-26-2009, 01:03 PM
So, according to your research, who is the real leader of the Republicans right now?

Good question and I'm the answer.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Bad trolls are never the answer.

Ignignokt
05-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Boehner, and Steele. They are actually heads of their respective posts.

JoeChalupa
05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Sarah needs to chill out for a decade or so and then make another run for it.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Boehner, and Steele. They are actually heads of their respective posts.One would think that they would be giving the policy speeches that you pimp in this forum.

Instead, it's Cheney.

Your leader.

Ignignokt
05-26-2009, 06:47 PM
One would think that they would be giving the policy speeches that you pimp in this forum.

Instead, it's Cheney.

Your leader.

No, one (whose an honest one) would think that Cheney is defending his policies he implemented, and has a right to do so. And i agree with his policies.

Dick Cheney does not formulate new strategy or raise money, or even prop candidates for elections, that's steele.

the GOP has many voices, and just because the WH doesn't like a pariticular voice doesn't mean its cheap political tactics to make an issue about one particular person or their popularity ratings being a sole voice of the party.

Fact is, Obama for better or for worse has decided to fire back at Cheney and stoop to his level by even making a speech during his, if this is a piece of a cake why the defensiveness.

Why do you discard whatever personal credibility you had left in yourself and become an Obama Lapdog by repeating such red herring.

You're not that stupid as you strive to be right?

So fact is Cheney who has shitty ratings from the getgo is derailing Obama's message.

Cheney is just a voice.

and he's your owner.

gtownspur
05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
No, anyone (who's an honest one) would think that Cheney is defending his policies he implemented, and has a right to do so. And i agree with his policies.

Dick Cheney does not formulate new strategy or raise money, or even prop candidates for elections, that's steele.

the GOP has many voices, and just because the WH doesn't like a pariticular voice doesn't mean its cheap political tactics to make an issue about one particular person or their popularity ratings being a sole voice of the party is sound truth.

Fact is, Obama for better or for worse has decided to fire back at Cheney and stoop to his level by even making a speech during his, if this is a piece of a cake why the defensiveness.

Why do you discard whatever personal credibility you had left in yourself and become an Obama Lapdog by repeating such red herring.

You're not that stupid as you strive to be right?

So fact is Cheney who has shitty ratings from the getgo is derailing Obama's message.

Cheney is just a voice.

and he's your owner.

can't edit on my ignignokt moniker.

George Gervin's Afro
05-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Sounds like dick has a guilty conscience..oh wait dick doesn't have a conscience..never mind

ChumpDumper
05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
No, one (whose an honest one) would think that Cheney is defending his policies he implemented, and has a right to do so. And i agree with his policies.So what specifically is Obama doing differently that you disagree with?

Dick Cheney does not formulate new strategy or raise money, or even prop candidates for elections, that's steele.I bet he does raise money. It's not a good idea for him to pimp candidates at this time.

the GOP has many voices, and just because the WH doesn't like a pariticular voice doesn't mean its cheap political tactics to make an issue about one particular person or their popularity ratings being a sole voice of the party.Not the sole voice. The main voice for now. The de facto leader.

Fact is, Obama for better or for worse has decided to fire back at Cheney and stoop to his level by even making a speech during his, if this is a piece of a cake why the defensiveness.Why is Cheney being so defensive?

Why do you discard whatever personal credibility you had left in yourself and become an Obama Lapdog by repeating such red herring.:lol I don't see any other leaders leading.

You're not that stupid as you strive to be right? I'm right in that there really hasn't been any effect from all of this.

So fact is Cheney who has shitty ratings from the getgo is derailing Obama's message.I want to know what the huge difference is here that's gotten you cheering so much.

hope4dopes
05-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Hell that's not saying much you were stupid enough to vote for Obama.

Ignignokt
05-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Why is Cheney being so defensive?

Cuz it would be appropriate to be defend arguments that pertain to one's policy.

The Gitmo policy for one, is very important to the ex vp and a policy which i agree on along with enhanced interrogation when needed.

But i guess agreeing with somebody is cheering.

Marcus Bryant
05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
He's a RINO...

A republican stands for the republic. Not national policy. The idea of the republic is states rights!

Ah yes, any Republican who doesn't toe the neo-progressive militarist welfare state line is a "RINO." Don't worry, soon enough the GOP will be purged of all but the most ardent 1% of you, so that you can bask in your version of "conservative" purity while losing every election in the foreseeable future.

ChumpDumper
05-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Cuz it would be appropriate to be defend arguments that pertain to one's policy.

The Gitmo policy for one, is very important to the ex vp and a policy which i agree on along with enhanced interrogation when needed.

But i guess agreeing with somebody is cheering.What is done at Gitmo that can't be done elsewhere?

And the enhanced interrogation hasn't been done for six years. It must not have been all that effective if they just gave it up.

Ignignokt
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Ah yes, any Republican who doesn't toe the neo-progressive militarist welfare state line is a "RINO." Don't worry, soon enough the GOP will be purged of all but the most ardent 1% of you, so that you can bask in your version of "conservative" purity while losing every election in the foreseeable future.

You're an idiot once again. Did you cut and paste from your previous posts? Your response does not make any sense to Wild Cobra's states rights response. I never knew states rights was a big Neo con dream? I thought they were big centralization federal govt addicts.

Please, do yourself a favor and become relevant again... wait, i mean for once.

Wild Cobra
05-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Ah yes, any Republican who doesn't toe the neo-progressive militarist welfare state line is a "RINO."
I doubt you really think that's what I meant.
Don't worry, soon enough the GOP will be purged of all but the most ardent 1% of you, so that you can bask in your version of "conservative" purity while losing every election in the foreseeable future.
Then they will never have a majority again.

hope4dopes
05-27-2009, 06:58 PM

Or they could keep pimping there ass out, to the American Idol voting block and get elected? Great strategy.

Gino
05-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I just think its humorous that Obama is trying to take credit for ending interrogation practices the Bush Administration ended 6 years ago.

Whats next? Obama's "No Child Left Behind" Act?

George Gervin's Afro
05-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I just think its humorous that Obama is trying to take credit for ending interrogation practices the Bush Administration ended 6 years ago.

Whats next? Obama's "No Child Left Behind" Act?

Give him time because it took Bush 8 yrs to create the mess.