PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Opinions needed

td4mvp21
05-25-2009, 02:39 PM
My major is English and my minor is currently Business. I plan to go to law school after I graduate in 2012. My intention is to try and get into the NBA business somehow, either has a player agent or hopefully work my way up to being a general manager or in some sort of management position. Regardless, I plan to concentrate on contract law once in law school (if possible). I would also consider working for a large firm straight out of law school, in the realm of corporate law. So, in summary, I'm intersted in entertainment law first and foremost, with corporate law second.

However, I don't really want to minor in Business. I want to minor in Chemistry. As to why, it's just personal preference. I do not have any intention of dealing with chemistry in a career, I just have a large personal interest in the subject. On the other hand, I think a Business minor would be helpful. My parents feel the same way; they want me to minor in Business. I feel like I owe their opinions a large degree of consideration in my decision, since they are paying for my college. They did tell me that the decision was ultimately up to me.

So what do I do? I am really torn. I'm going to be a sophomore next year and I want to make up my mind as soon as possible so I can start taking the classes I need to take and not waste time/money on classes that I do not need. Is having a Business minor really that big of a deal? I would much rather take classes in chemistry and I feel that I would apply more effort to chemistry classes because of personal interest in the subject. I just want opinions on what I should do. I could double minor but then I wouldn't be able to take some elective classes such as philosphy and statistics that I feel would help me on the LSAT/law school, without graduating late.

step up to the mike
05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't see how Chemistry will help you later or make your resume look any better. I would keep with the Business and go get you a cool Chemistry set and do it as a hobby or find some courses online to get it out of your system. I made a bad mistake and let my cravings and hobbies get in the way of me getting a good education.

I took Chemistry and all I accomplished was wasted, Although I did make good money in the 80s making speed and I made some Ecstasy in the 90s eventually I got busted and after 16 months in jail I had 10 years probation and fines to pay. Don't let your passions get in the way of a solid future.
Be a man and step up to the mike!

my 2 cents.

spurster
05-25-2009, 03:52 PM
There must be some demand for lawyers that have technical knowledge of Chemistry (substitute any other technical field).

mavs>spurs2
05-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Minor in business is ALWAYS a good bet. Chemistry will not be useful in any way to someone who is in the law field.

CubanMustGo
05-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Hmm. How about ditching English for Business as a major and then you can still minor in Chem?

baseline bum
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
If I wanted to do law I'd probably do at least a minor in philosophy for undergrad. You'll get lots of experience arguing in philosophy classes.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Minor in what interests you. If you don't end up using much of it in your future career, so what?

And there's always a need for lawyers with technical/scientific background. Not necessarily for what you want to do, but certainly in fields like patent law.

Plus, having a science background may help you stand out from the rest of the pack when it comes to applying to law school.

Finally, 2012 (and 2015) is still a long ways off, who's to say that you might find something you really love more than your current plan.

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 04:51 PM
im on pace to graduate by 2012!

td4mvp21
05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Hmm. How about ditching English for Business as a major and then you can still minor in Chem?

:td English is my best subject and my favorite. I couldn't imagine majoring in anything else.

If I wanted to do law I'd probably do at least a minor in philosophy for undergrad. You'll get lots of experience arguing in philosophy classes.

I looked into that. It's not really something I want to take a lot of hours with, but I do plan on taking two philosphy classes as electives along with statistics because of the logic involved with both of them.

And there's always a need for lawyers with technical/scientific background. Not necessarily for what you want to do, but certainly in fields like patent law.

Interesting; definitely something to consider :tu

Plus, having a science background may help you stand out from the rest of the pack when it comes to applying to law school.

I thought about that...I figure the majority of applicants wouldn't have a science major/minor.

Thanks for the opinions/advice so far. Any others?

MiamiHeat
05-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Take the business minor. If you are going into Law school, then go 100% into it. Nothing half-assed.

Leave the chemistry classes as a hobby that you can take in the future or on the side. You can take separate classes right now for it, or wait until some point in the future after you have graduated.

It's a hobby, treat it as such. Take the Business minor, it will help you with your career.

and as a side bonus, you make your parents happy and you feel good about it.

Win-win.

Once you are a successful lawyer some years down the road from now, you can build a little chemistry mad scientist lab in your garage and take night classes for it. Have at it.

but for now, Business minor.

Laker Lanny
05-25-2009, 05:38 PM
I would learn to speak Arabic may help land you a Job with Haliburton. :tu

Heath Ledger
05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
If you are not a Jewish lawyer don't even think about it, Jewish lawyers rule the roost as far as sports agents. Every body who is anyone wants a jewish lawyer to represent them because they know that jews will seek and get as much money as possible for as little value in return. It's just the way it works.

ploto
05-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Could you take a couple of business courses as electives that might be most applicable to what you want without actually having to minor in it?

spurster
05-25-2009, 09:21 PM
There are lots of chemical and food companies that probably want lawyers that have some clue about chemistry.

Another chemistry-related angle is environmental: going green, recycling, pollutants, worker safety, etc. Lots of things require environmental impact statements. I imagine some lawyers go over those things, both in companies and in government.

Summers
05-26-2009, 08:25 AM
First, you don't need to make a decision now or declare a major yet. If you'll be a sophomore next year, you still have to take at least a semester of core classes, yes? So don't panic. Take your time and see what you enjoy and make a decision that will make you happy.

Secondly, it's fine to seek advice from your parents and it's good that they want to help you, but you're a grown-up now and this is your decision. You don't have to repay your tuition by letting them pick your major. If you don't want a business minor and choose it because you think it's what your parents want, you'll regret it.

Thirdly,

If you are not a Jewish lawyer don't even think about it, Jewish lawyers rule the roost as far as sports agents. Every body who is anyone wants a jewish lawyer to represent them because they know that jews will seek and get as much money as possible for as little value in return. It's just the way it works.
:td

tonylongoriafan
05-26-2009, 09:09 AM
minors are over rated...so do what you want with it...if it's down to either taking electives to meet your degree requirements and choosing classes in something you're interested and getting a minor degree...then choose the minor, but it really doesn't mean much

td4mvp21
05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Could you take a couple of business courses as electives that might be most applicable to what you want without actually having to minor in it?

Yes, but there are other elective courses (statistics, philosophy) that I want to take and would probably help me on the LSATS (at least according to what I've researched about the LSATS and law school).

First, you don't need to make a decision now or declare a major yet. If you'll be a sophomore next year, you still have to take at least a semester of core classes, yes? So don't panic. Take your time and see what you enjoy and make a decision that will make you happy.
I have two core classes left to take. That's why I'm kind of in a hurry to decide :lol Plus, I wouldn't want to change my mind after taking classes and then as a result have wasted time and money, you know?

Secondly, it's fine to seek advice from your parents and it's good that they want to help you, but you're a grown-up now and this is your decision. You don't have to repay your tuition by letting them pick your major. If you don't want a business minor and choose it because you think it's what your parents want, you'll regret it.

Thanks for that :tu

After seeing this thread, I'm kind of leaning toward minoring in Chemistry but I'll still think about it for another month or so probably.

td4mvp21
05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Take the business minor. If you are going into Law school, then go 100% into it. Nothing half-assed.

I don't think it would be half-assed though...there isn't really a requirement for law school. Business would definitely make much more sense than Chemistry and would probably be beneficial to know though.

Heath Ledger
05-26-2009, 06:43 PM
If you are not Jewish i highly suggest that you convert to Judiasm. It will take you far.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2009, 07:01 PM
If you are not Jewish i highly suggest that you convert to Judiasm. It will take you far.

sucking dick helps also right?

Heath Ledger
05-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Are you telling us this from experience?

Destro
05-27-2009, 10:24 AM
reality, odds are really slim you will be an entertainment lawyer or NBA lawyer. Unless you have pedigree or are one of the top students or at a top tier school you will more than likely be working for the State when you graduate at $45K a year to start. A lawyer with a science background is much more valuable than a lawyer with a business background. With a science background you can transition easier into intellectual property or patents since you will understand alot of the science being contested with a drug manufacturer or steel or just about anything.

Anything you learn with a business degree that is applicable to law will be trumped by your contracts class and Corporate Law courses in law school.

leemajors
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
my english degree is worthless, but i learned a lot!

spurster
05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
my english degree is worthless, but i learned a lot!

You've forgotten a lot from the capitalization course.

leemajors
05-27-2009, 01:25 PM
You've forgotten a lot from the capitalization course.

it's a forum, and they don't offer capitalization courses anyway.

2Blonde
05-27-2009, 06:39 PM
There must be some demand for lawyers that have technical knowledge of Chemistry (substitute any other technical field).

A close friend of mine is a pharmacist who then went to Law School. There is a big need for lawyers w/technical expertise. Who do you think sues & defends the pharmaceutical, chemical & research industries? I have a BS in Chemistry and it was a huge help when I went job searching after college. You tend to be seen as someone who pays more than average attention to details. People, in general, cannot help being a little impressed when they hear chemistry as a major or minor. Society tends to portray chemists as being very smart and spending a great deal of time in the pursuit of answers to scientific questions (neither of which is true). After all, they gave me a degree & I'm a blonde. :toast

Minor in business is ALWAYS a good bet. Chemistry will not be useful in any way to someone who is in the law field.

BS.. See above answer

Being able to write is a key component of being a lawyer. Stick w/the English major.

Minor in what interests you. If you don't end up using much of it in your future career, so what?

Finally, 2012 (and 2015) is still a long ways off, who's to say that you might find something you really love more than your current plan.

:tu :tu :tu

Leave the chemistry classes as a hobby that you can take in the future or on the side. You can take separate classes right now for it, or wait until some point in the future after you have graduated.

It's a hobby, treat it as such. Take the Business minor, it will help you with your career.

and as a side bonus, you make your parents happy and you feel good about it.

Win-win.

Once you are a successful lawyer some years down the road from now, you can build a little chemistry mad scientist lab in your garage and take night classes for it. Have at it.

but for now, Business minor.

:td You will stand a much better chance of being successful in life if you can truly believe what you're selling. When you are interviewing for Law School, you are the product you are selling. If you come across as someone who is passionate about what they have achieved then you WILL stand out.

There are lots of chemical and food companies that probably want lawyers that have some clue about chemistry.

Another chemistry-related angle is environmental: going green, recycling, pollutants, worker safety, etc. Lots of things require environmental impact statements. I imagine some lawyers go over those things, both in companies and in government.

td4mvp21
05-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for even more responses. I'm glad some of you (2blonde, spurster, etc.) pointed out the need for specialized lawyers and lawyers that deal with pharmaceutical companies, I hadn't really thought of that. Thanks for the insight :tu

robino2001
05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Something I haven't seen mentioned is patent law... I am a Chemist for a biotech in Austin and our company has two lawyers with science backgrounds who are our patent lawyers/company legal council...

The Power Hour.
05-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for even more responses. I'm glad some of you (2blonde, spurster, etc.) pointed out the need for specialized lawyers and lawyers that deal with pharmaceutical companies, I hadn't really thought of that. Thanks for the insight :tu
Yes I am sure there are 100s cases a day where lawyers deal with pharmaceutical companies. Dude your fooling yourself. 90% of collage grades end up at Wallmart or the Gap. Learn how work on Jet airplanes, medical school or any other money making trade. There is a program you can go to at St.Phillips where you learn how to check phone lines in apartments and commercial buildings using your laptop it pays 28.00 dollars an hour.

2Blonde
05-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes I am sure there are 100s cases a day where lawyers deal with pharmaceutical companies. Dude your fooling yourself. 90% of collage grades end up at Wallmart or the Gap. Learn how work on Jet airplanes, medical school or any other money making trade. There is a program you can go to at St.Phillips where you learn how to check phone lines in apartments and commercial buildings using your laptop it pays 28.00 dollars an hour.

Hmmm... when I graduated from college I majored in chemistry and didn't have to take art or make any collages for grades. :toast

The Power Hour.
05-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Hmmm... when I graduated from college I majored in chemistry and didn't have to take art or make any collages for grades. :toast

Your from another generation times have changed. Back in the 80s a collage diploma meant something. Besides your married to a man who is retired from the Army try leaving him and finding a good job based on your collage courses you will see my point. :toast

B-Boy
05-28-2009, 07:12 AM
. Learn how work on Jet airplanes,

Best advise ever. My dad has never been out of work :tu

florige
05-28-2009, 08:41 AM
A close friend of mine is a pharmacist who then went to Law School. There is a big need for lawyers w/technical expertise. Who do you think sues & defends the pharmaceutical, chemical & research industries? I have a BS in Chemistry and it was a huge help when I went job searching after college. You tend to be seen as someone who pays more than average attention to details. People, in general, cannot help being a little impressed when they hear chemistry as a major or minor. Society tends to portray chemists as being very smart and spending a great deal of time in the pursuit of answers to scientific questions (neither of which is true). After all, they gave me a degree & I'm a blonde. :toast

BS.. See above answer

Being able to write is a key component of being a lawyer. Stick w/the English major.

:td You will stand a much better chance of being successful in life if you can truly believe what you're selling. When you are interviewing for Law School, you are the product you are selling. If you come across as someone who is passionate about what they have achieved then you WILL stand out.

So your friend went to Pharamacy school first, then decided to become a Lawyer?

ShoogarBear
05-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Something I haven't seen mentioned is patent law...

Ahem.

Perhaps if I said it in Chemistry-ese:

tech
degree -->
\_____/
Law school ---------> Patent Law

robino2001
05-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Doesn't count. It was the last word in the line on the screen... and my patent lawyer told me the last word in a line doesn't matter. He knows all of those nifty tricks.