PDA

View Full Version : No Country for Old Men

LnGrrrR
05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Just saw it now... what a brutal movie. I enjoyed it... nce to see that things don't always work out like they're supposed to in a movie. I also like the relative scarcity of dialogue in it. Lots of acting through... well, actions.

What did you guys think?

sonic21
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
very fine film. Javier Bardem is spectacularly evil and badass. The performances are impeccable, the direction and cinematography are great, and the story is fascinating.
but imo didn't deserve the oscar (there will be blood was better).

BlackSwordsMan
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
the mexican assassin made the movie

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 04:47 PM
there will be blood sucked

first of all it was marketed as a western, its not
for a movie called there will be blood, one person died!, and it was way too long, slow, longwinded, and snailpaced
i cant stand bad accents and it seems like that guy was doing some irish country shit that sounded horrible

no country for old men is a modern classic, better than blood simple, raising arizona, fargo and big lebowski combined

great setting, i naturally relate to early 80's rural texas

LnGrrrR
05-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I haven't seen "There Will Be Blood" yet... similar stories/settings?

I agree that Bardem was pretty awesome. He was so unsettling on camera, that if I was part of the cast, I might think twice about inviting him to Chili's after the day's take. :D

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 05:02 PM
no theyre the exact opposite, dont waste 3 hours of your life, instead read a long boring book about oil prospecting like Oil

dirk4mvp
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
TWBB > this

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM
i guess there will be blood will be another pans labyrinth and the life aquatic, long boring, pointless movies that totally blow in every way, yet are crtically acclaimed and loved by the general public

dirk4mvp
05-25-2009, 05:22 PM
TWBB > this

:tu

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 05:26 PM

for a movie called there will be blood, one person died!, and it was way too long, slow, longwinded, and snailpaced
i cant stand bad accents and it seems like that guy was doing some irish country shit that sounded horrible

FaithInOne
05-25-2009, 06:53 PM
I liked There Will Be Blood but only because of the strong Texas vibe the movie gives off.

I've only seen the last 1/3 of No Country so I was pretty pissed when the movie never ended.

monosylab1k
05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
first of all it was marketed as a western

no it wasnt.

for a movie called there will be blood, one person died!

Actually like 3 people died. But there was blood. Mission accomplished.

monosylab1k
05-25-2009, 07:53 PM
TWBB > this

dallaskd
05-25-2009, 08:10 PM

no country for old men is a modern classic, better than blood simple, raising arizona, fargo and big lebowski combined

great setting, i naturally relate to early 80's rural texas

couldnt agree more.

balli
05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
It's been recommended to me that I watch No Country again; but I've seen both that and TWBB once apiece... and thought both were boring and pointless.

No Country was sickeningly violent and I suppose the point was to make some sort of statement about the existence of evil and how normal people confront it. But I don't really need to see that level of violence spelled out, for no other purpose than to prove that said violence exists. The real world's enough for me. Which basically puts No Country a step above Hostel and Saw; a snuff film with nicer scenery and a Tommy Lee Jones monologue.

sonic21
05-25-2009, 08:30 PM
TWBB is a masterpiece

florige
05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Funt can break down either of these two movies better than Ebert could.

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 09:35 PM
ok youre telling me the average person didnt go see or rent there will be blood thinking it was going to be a western?

i know i did
or did most people do their research and find out it would be about investments and stakes and claims and a 17 year old preacher

monosylab1k
05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
ok youre telling me the average person didnt go see or rent there will be blood thinking it was going to be a western?

I suppose if the trailers showed Daniel Day Lewis riding a horse with a mouthful of chaw, killing Injuns with his six shooter, people might have mistaken it for a western.

Since the trailers actually showed him searching for oil, finding oil, and bitch-slapping a 17 year old preacher, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that most people understood that it wasn't going to be a western.

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 09:56 PM
dont remember how the trailers went, i do remember that i was pissed as shit when nothing happened for the first two hours

guess i judged it by the title and the cover
http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/headlines/temp/temp289.jpg

shouldve been called there will be oil

FaithInOne
05-25-2009, 10:11 PM
lmao

leemajors
05-25-2009, 11:32 PM
It's been recommended to me that I watch No Country again; but I've seen both that and TWBB once apiece... and thought both were boring and pointless.

No Country was sickeningly violent and I suppose the point was to make some sort of statement about the existence of evil and how normal people confront it. But I don't really need to see that level of violence spelled out, for no other purpose than to prove that said violence exists. The real world's enough for me. Which basically puts No Country a step above Hostel and Saw; a snuff film with nicer scenery and a Tommy Lee Jones monologue.

every coen bros drama has at least one hyperviolent scene

MiamiHeat
05-26-2009, 01:43 AM
The mexican assasin is a Harvey Dent from Batman ripoff

to21
05-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Daniel Day Lewis is an awesome actor.

However, I have to give the nod to No Country for Old Men......but not by a lot.

Strike
05-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Daniel Day Lewis is an awesome actor.

However, I have to give the nod to No Country for Old Men......but not by a lot.

I have to agree. I love both movies but, like you, I like No Country For Old Men just a little bit more. Either one winning the oscar would have been fine be me.

lefty
05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I have it on my DVR but have yet to watch it ...........

200 miles
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I absolutely have no problem with the plot, in fact I really like NCFOM, but I would have say that Anton Chigurh is probably the luckiest villain in film history.

stretch
05-26-2009, 11:14 AM
shouldve been called there will be oil

lmao lmao lmao lmao

Winehole23
05-26-2009, 11:56 PM
No Country was sickeningly violent and I suppose the point was to make some sort of statement about the existence of evil and how normal people confront it. But I don't really need to see that level of violence spelled out, for no other purpose than to prove that said violence exists.The whole McCarthy oeuvre is a meditation on violence and violent men. The perspective from Child of God to The Road changes a lot.

IMO the fatalism of No Country and even The Road (which is the gnarlier story by far) pales in comparison to all of his earlier books. Sheriff Bell's dream in No Country and the end of The Road emphasize a weak, imperiled yet distinct remnant of humanity. For McCarthy, this emphasis is new and tempers his fatalistic, almost masochistic rumination on nature and man's nature.

The real world's enough for me. Which basically puts No Country a step above Hostel and Saw; a snuff film with nicer scenery and a Tommy Lee Jones monologue.You should read the books. There's nothing else like them. Blood Meridian is a good place to start. Suttree is the king daddy of them all IMO.

The Border Trilogy and No Country mark McCarthy's turn to the mythic, but also his humanistic softening, albeit in the context of vanishing humanity.

leemajors
05-27-2009, 08:00 AM
blood meridian is brutal, and so is child of god. i think i was more disgusted by child of god.

Winehole23
05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
blood meridian is brutal, and so is child of god. i think i was more disgusted by child of god."Who is he? A child of God, much like yourself perhaps."

Spurminator
05-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I couldn't get through Blood Meridian. It's the writing style... I found myself re-reading almost every page just to figure out who or what he was talking about.

I really liked The Road though.

Winehole23
05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I couldn't get through Blood Meridian. It's the writing style... I found myself re-reading almost every page just to figure out who or what he was talking about.

I really liked The Road though.You'd probably like the border trilogy too. McCarthy's style used to be almost baroque. His descriptions of landscape still show this tendency, but it's much toned down in the last 15 years or so.

leemajors
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM

I really liked The Road though.

it took me a while to read. i usually burn though books pretty fast, but i could only read it 5 minutes at a time.