PDA

View Full Version : Organic Foods

MannyIsGod
03-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Who here eats organic? It's pretty expensive so where do you get your best deals?

I've actually found some good organic pricing at Target, but their selection is meager.

I try to eat as much organic food as possible, but it's usually expensive as hell, so I'm not able to do as much as I'd like.

Kori Ellis
03-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Some HEB's have a good organic section ... like the one on 1604 and Bandera. But we still go to Sun Harvest for most organic stuff, even though it's a little more expensive.

desflood
03-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Where is Sun Harvest? We keep meaning to go, but never have the time to look for it.

Kori Ellis
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM
281 and Thousand Oaks.

10 and Callahan.

desflood
03-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Gracias. For the second time today!

MannyIsGod
03-28-2005, 06:36 PM
I picked up some organic beef today. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference. I've noticed that when Jess gets organic milk and simmilar items, they stay fresh so much longer it's not even close.

desflood
03-28-2005, 06:38 PM
We're hoping that eventually we'll be able to get the kids to eat SOMETHING that doesn't come out of a can or a box.

Duff McCartney
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Fast food feels fuzzy.
'Cause it's made from stuff that's scuzzy.
I always thought I was such a nerd,
I refused to touch that strange bean curd.
I wouldn't eat it. Wow!
But it ate you!

Refrain:
Aeeoo. Killer tofu.
Ooeeoo. Killer tofu.

I eat my sugar cereal.
But it makes my teeth bacterial.
Eayeeoh.
Eeayee.
If you're feeling kind of cruddy,
Just stick right by your buddy.
And don't eat,
T-t-t-t-too much fried food.
Yeah!

Refrain:
Aeeoo. Killer tofu.
Ooeeoo. Killer tofu.

CosmicCowboy
03-28-2005, 06:47 PM
I used to laugh at the concept of "organic" food, but not anymore...Being somewhat of an amateur farmer and rancher and knowing a lot more people in the business I have learned a lot about some of the things that go on in the industry...and a lot of it is pretty bad...I do know that when we slaughter an "organically grown" steer from the ranch it tastes very different from the beef in the supermarkets...

MannyIsGod
03-28-2005, 07:15 PM
CC, I did too. And little by little I found out just what I was eating. I can't avoid it all the time, it's so damn expensive not to, but I'm chaning over little by little.

JoeChalupa
03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't think I've ever eaten any "organic" food, unless I did with out knowing but and I've never bought anything.

timvp
03-28-2005, 07:31 PM
I picked up some organic beef today. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference. I've noticed that when Jess gets organic milk and simmilar items, they stay fresh so much longer it's not even close.

What kind of organic food are you eating? That's the drawback with organic food -- it spoils quicker. When they take out the preservatives, it doesn't preserve as long.

:smokin

P.S.

Unless you are talking about soy milk ... which stays "fresh" for months.

SpursWoman
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
281 and Thousand Oaks.

10 and Callahan.

There's also one one Nacogdoches, about 1/4 mile outside of Loop 410 by the Bill Miller's.

They often have really good sales on chicken & fish.

:)

Bandit2981
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
i usually buy organic foods from sun harvest, but wal mart has the best price on Horizon milk! the vanilla soy milk is also pretty good.

JoeChalupa
03-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Soy milk? Sorry, but that doesn't sound too tasty. Would kids tell the difference?

Bandit2981
03-28-2005, 07:37 PM
it tastes somewhat powdery, almost like a vanilla instant breakfast package...i think its pretty good tasting

timvp
03-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Soy milk isn't too bad. If you put it in cereal, it actually tastes better than using regular milk because soy milk is sweet tasting.

iminlakerland
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Soy Milk tastes a lot different than regular milk...but soy milk is damn good. Momma is lactose intolerant.

JoeChalupa
03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
When I eat cereal, the Apple Jacks and Froot Loops make the milk sweet. ;)

Organic beef? Does that mean they are only feed organic feed?

desflood
03-28-2005, 07:45 PM
I think soy milk has more sugar.

iminlakerland
03-28-2005, 07:47 PM
My mom raises her own tomoatoes and lettuce...omg it tastes so damn much better than the store grown ones.

JoeChalupa
03-28-2005, 07:53 PM
I think everything homemade tastes better than store bought, especially vegetables and fruit.

Shelly
03-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I suck at growing tomatoes. And the damn birds eat them way before I ever get a chance to.

Duff McCartney
03-28-2005, 10:00 PM
My mom raises her own tomoatoes and lettuce...omg it tastes so damn much better than the store grown ones.

That's probably because store bought tomatoes don't include flavor in their list of requirements.

It's usually a combination of color, size, and ability to stay intact, IE sturdy strong tomatoes. They usually bomb unripe tomatoes with ethyl so they'll give them a nice red color.

In the supermarket, color doesn't usually indicate ripeness.

Guru of Nothing
03-28-2005, 10:07 PM
VANILLA SOY MILK RULES.

It tastes very similar to regular milk (I buy the Silk brand), without all the saggy cow tit imagery.

Plain soy milk - I've never drank the stuff. It smelled a LOT like baby formula. That's as far as it went for me.

Guru of Nothing
03-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Who here eats organic? It's pretty expensive so where do you get your best deals?

I've actually found some good organic pricing at Target, but their selection is meager.

I try to eat as much organic food as possible, but it's usually expensive as hell, so I'm not able to do as much as I'd like.

I lean towards organic, but yeah, it's expensive.

I buy organic apples religiously at the local food co-op (5 pounds a week) because they are far superior in flavor to standard grocery store fare, including their organic offerings. It's like comparing apples and .... bad apples.

On the other hand, organic carrots don't get the time of day from me, because I peel them all with a "potato" peeler (again, 5 pounds per week), which I presume knocks out most of the "bad stuff."

exstatic
03-28-2005, 10:23 PM
And the damn birds eat them way before I ever get a chance to.

You gots ta CAGE those tomaters.

MannyIsGod
03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I lean towards organic, but yeah, it's expensive.

I buy organic apples religiously at the local food co-op (5 pounds a week) because they are far superior in flavor to standard grocery store fare, including their organic offerings. It's like comparing apples and .... bad apples.

On the other hand, organic carrots don't get the time of day from me, because I peel them all with a "potato" peeler (again, 5 pounds per week), which I presume knocks out most of the "bad stuff."

Hey man, I got your cds on Saturday, but havne't listend to them because I forget to bring them with me.

Anyhow, whats your opinion on organic animal products?

Guru of Nothing
03-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Hey man, I got your cds on Saturday, but havne't listend to them because I forget to bring them with me.

Anyhow, whats your opinion on organic animal products?

The purple CD sucks. Save it for last.

For the record, I am back on the omnivore bandwagon. Appropriately, I will refrain from questioning your footprint on the environment with your omni ways.

Regarding organic meat. I'm skeptical, if only because the rules for organic meat are fuzzy. I say, if you want to consume beef, buy it from a local source, if for no other reason, you live in Texas. Texas beef rules. One of my first culture shocks when I relocated to Mississippi was that the beef in my local grocery store sucked. Organic is nice, but freshness and age is what really matters.

Bottom line, if you are eating dead flesh, the fresher the dead flesh, the tastier in my book.

1369 will back me up on this.

EDIT TO ADD: I still don't eat red meat, because people who eat red meat tend to be full of shit - LITERALLY.

Duff McCartney
03-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Damn...you act like everybody who doesn't eat red meat doesn't take a shit.

Guru of Nothing
03-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Duff, red meat tends to accumulate in the colon, or so I have "red."

desflood
03-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Because meat has no fiber.

Duff McCartney
03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Because meat has no fiber.

It's not like humans can digest fiber anyway.

desflood
03-28-2005, 11:04 PM
:lol Yes, exactly!

Guru of Nothing
03-28-2005, 11:09 PM
:lol Yes, exactly!

I was gonna say the same exact thing!

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 12:06 AM
:lmao

We're both in tears over here at the moment. Nice.

SequSpur
03-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Organic foods are for homos.

Guru of Nothing
03-29-2005, 12:48 AM

Well then, I guess you will be spending lots of time contributing to this thread.

Duff McCartney
03-29-2005, 12:58 AM
If god didn't want us to eat he'd have made gluttony a sin.

Kori Ellis
03-29-2005, 01:09 AM

He did.

exstatic
03-29-2005, 01:24 AM
Sequ didn't eat organic, and look WTF happened to him.

TastesLikeChicken
03-29-2005, 01:31 AM
Sequ didn't eat organic, and look WTF happened to him.

Yeah, but he was great in Time Bandits

timvp
03-29-2005, 02:41 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that Duff has owned a handful of posters in this thread. He out-Duffed you guys.

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 06:59 AM

He did.

:shootme :lol

Shelly
03-29-2005, 08:56 AM
You gots ta CAGE those tomaters.

I had freaking bird netting around them. Besides getting myself tangled in them, and them frying in the heat, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

2pac
03-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Duff, red meat tends to accumulate in the colon, or so I have "red."

Not true.

It is possible for colonic blockages, but these are pretty rare. What causes it are heavy use of downers which will slow the pushing motion of your large intestine.

As far as accumulating in the colon - accumulating a half pound or so of material does happen, but it would cause your colon to swell to twice the diameter, causing severe bleeding and pain. Its pretty much impossible to have more accumulation than that.

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 11:43 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that Duff has owned a handful of posters in this thread. He out-Duffed you guys.

No, I think that happend on the second one, but I think the first one was outright stupidity.

CosmicCowboy
03-29-2005, 12:12 PM
As far as accumulating in the colon - accumulating a half pound or so of material does happen, but it would cause your colon to swell to twice the diameter, causing severe bleeding and pain. Its pretty much impossible to have more accumulation than that.

well...whatever accumulates can damn well be cleaned out...I had a colonoscopy last year and that damn "cocktail" my doctor gave me to get ready for it was uhhh...shall we say...very effective? We are talking serious projectile poop here...sonofabitch didn't warn me...the toilet needed splash zone signs like Shamu's swimming pool...

Shelly
03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
^^^^ Sounds like being in labor! :lol

It ain't very pretty!

Brodels
03-29-2005, 11:45 PM
I've been doing the same lately, at least as much as I've been able to. In addition to eating organic, I've been trying to avoid anything with ingredients that I don't recognize. I haven't been eating many preservatives. And manufactured sweeteners like Splenda and Aspartame are absolutely out.

I've been thinking a lot about what the body is designed to eat and what I put into it. I just can't imagine that my body should be ingesting sugar substitutes that can't be digested or preservatives or hormones or pesticides.

Simple is better as far as I'm concerned. I've been having something like fish with rice and vegetables for dinner. Red meat is eaten rarely, and other meats are consumed in moderation. We've been buying hormone-free and antibiotic-free chicken. I don't trust beef because of the way it's processed and because of the whole mad cow deal. As a replacement, I've been using ostrich. It tastes quite like beef and it's much leaner. It works well in just about everything, but it can get dry if it is overcooked. It's really good, and as far as I know, the animals don't suffer from mad ostrich disease. I'm with Guru on this one; local is best if you can get it that way.

I've also wondered about milk from cows. I like milk and cheese and still consume those products quite a bit, but it just seems incredibly unnatural to ingest mothers milk from another animal. The thought of drinking cats milk or dogs milk or pigs milk isn't appealing to me, so eating cows milk shouldn't either. What's the difference?

I haven't been able to convert to soy milk because I'm not used to it yet, but I'm working on it.

Organic foods can be inexpensive if you look hard enough and are flexible. You may need to get some frozen foods, but it can be done on a budget.

I'm still not where I need to be, but I'm off to a good start.

NameDropper
03-29-2005, 11:50 PM

Well I don't know but I eat red meat and I'm as regular as they come.

Mark in Austin
03-30-2005, 12:54 AM
HEB is in the process of rolling out the Central Market Organics label to their regular stores - it's a pretty broad list of products, and although more expensive, hasn't seemed that bad to me so far. In my experience, Horizon organic milk tastes creamier than the "regular" in the same fat content level - 1% organic tastes like 2% regular milk. There are also several brands of frozen dinners - Amy's and Cedar Lane - that are either organic or all natural. Check out the ingredients list on one of those vs. a Swansons or Lean Cuisine frozen meal. It is a pretty dramatic difference.

SA210
10-24-2006, 03:12 AM
I do shopping at different places for organics. From Whole Foods, Sun Harvest to Cental Market and also now exploring companies online. I would say that my diet is about 90% organic now.

The taste is definitely better, and it is more expensive, but I think it's worth it. My daughter eats the same, and I'm currently debating on sending her to school with a sack lunch as well. For me personally, I haven't been sick at all since going on a small water fast and then switching to organic food. I have lots of energy and feel alot healthier than I have ever been. No doubt about it.

I get some of my fruits and vegatables from Whole Foods, mainly because I love their Roma tomatoes and lettuce. I'll get my milk from there, even an occasional natural soda, whole food supplements (instead of multi-vitamins), sandwich meat and other things like that. I get some ground meat and chicken from there. The steak and fish there are outrageously priced, so sometimes I get natural steak from Sun Harvest.

Sun Harvest, I usually like getting my little things, like gravy's, organic pasta sauces, organic orange juice (Wild Oats Organic, mmm), organic potatoes and bananas. A little cheaper than Whole Foods.

It takes some work to really learn about organic food and doing the shopping and a little more money and even an open mind, but I also think too many people assume it's like some weird health food that tastes nasty or something and don't really know too much about it.

One weakness of mine is seafood, so I'll still get fried fish at restaurants. :nope

Mark in Austin
10-24-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm learning Horizon, while qualifying as USDA organic, is really not close to the organic ideal as other brands. You can google stories about their organic milk mass production plants that heavily restrict cows grazing time in pasture land. I'm staying away from Horizon.

Organic fruit is something I try to get whenever possible - especially berries. Consumer Reports had a story on buying organic a couple months ago and recommended that berries are one of the more important foods to buy organically if at all possible. They have a tendancy to absorb more of the pesticides used in the fields as compared to other fruits ang veggies. They are so damn expensive though... I found a great way to do it: You can get flash frozen organic blackberries, respberrys, blueberrys and strawberries at Central Market for about the same price as regular fresh berries. I put the berries in a blender with a scoop of protein powder and some pomegranite juice - perfect for breakfast. (In fact I just finished drinking one as I type this.) I usually have it at least 4 or 5 times a week.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2006, 08:48 AM
At last the voice of reason.

I didn't realize we had so many from the Birkenstock set in here.

10-24-2006, 09:04 AM
My kinda organics...

http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/midewin/images/wtdeer.JPG

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/wildturkey/riogrande.jpg

http://www.greglasley.net/Images/White-winged-Dove-F1.jpg

http://www.krykiet.com/wild_boar.jpg

http://www.birdsofoklahoma.net/images/BWQuail7933-1.jpg

leemajors
10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
My kinda organics...

http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/midewin/images/wtdeer.JPG

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/wildturkey/riogrande.jpg

http://www.greglasley.net/Images/White-winged-Dove-F1.jpg

http://www.krykiet.com/wild_boar.jpg

http://www.birdsofoklahoma.net/images/BWQuail7933-1.jpg

nothing like fresh venison, so damn lean!

tlongII
10-24-2006, 11:01 AM
For the most part, organic foods are a joke. If every crop in the world were grown "organically" starvation would be rampant. I don't believe people can tell the difference in taste either.

SA210
10-24-2006, 11:10 AM
For the most part, organic foods are a joke. If every crop in the world were grown "organically" starvation would be rampant. I don't believe people can tell the difference in taste either.

It takes some work to really learn about organic food and doing the shopping and a little more money and even an open mind, but I also think too many people assume it's like some weird health food that tastes nasty or something and don't really know too much about it.

tlongII
10-24-2006, 11:29 AM

Read both the pros and the cons of organic foods. I don't think it's weird health food and i don't think it tastes nasty either.

SA210
10-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Read both the pros and the cons of organic foods. I don't think it's weird health food and i don't think it tastes nasty either.
I have researched and learned the pros and cons and also the cons that many would like us to believe.

In no way is it a joke to want to have food in it's most natural state, free of radiation, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, growth hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, genetically modified organisms and all the other nasty, unhealthy, unnatural, disease causing stuff that they poison our food with. Like I was saying, not too many people know about organics and it takes some work to learn about it.

We've been taught that what we eat is normal and ok, so it takes an open mind and desire to want to do the research on it and to try it out. Organic is better, way better.

tlongII
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I have researched and learned the pros and cons and also the cons that many would like us to believe.

In no way is it a joke to want to have food in it's most natural state, free of radiation, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, growth hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, genetically modified organisms and all the other nasty, unhealthy, unnatural, disease causing stuff that they poison our food with. Like I was saying, not too many people know about organics and it takes some work to learn about it.

We've been taught that what we eat is normal and ok, so it takes an open mind and desire to want to do the research on it and to try it out. Organic is better, way better.

Really? Have you read any independent health studies to back up your claims? The thing most people don't realize is that things like pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers are an absolute must in order to get crop yields sufficient to feed the world's hungry.

johnsmith
10-24-2006, 12:53 PM

Shut your bong hole you smelly hippie.

PM5K
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I dont even worry about it.

Research is always showing that pretty much everything is bad for you, fish have mercury, starches cause cancer, and I'm sure there's more...

CosmicCowboy
10-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Funny that a hundred years ago when everybody ate organic the average life span was half what it is now.

tlongII
10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Funny that a hundred years ago when everybody ate organic the average life span was half what it is now.

Das Texan
10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
diverting a little bit away from organics, but on the subject of meat...

While much more expensive, buffalo meat is much better for you than beef. And at least to this point, are no slaughterhouses for buffalo, at least none that i am aware of at this time.

But regarding organics, they are much healthier for you, and when I can I try to eat them, simply because of the nutritional content.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Manny I can't believe you believe that stuff is actually regulated as well as they say it is.

SA210
10-24-2006, 06:45 PM

Life expectancy recovered somewhat in the Bronze Age (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age) but it is only in recent centuries (since 1800) that it has dramatically increased. These changes are the result of a combination of factors including nutrition and public health, and medicine only marginally. The most important single factor in the increase is the reduction in death in infancy. The greatest improvements have been made in the richest parts of the world.

Life expectancy increased dramatically in the 20th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century), especially in developed nations. Life expectancy at birth in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) in 1901 was 49 years. At the end of the century it was 77 years, an increase of 57%
:hat