PDA

View Full Version : Eleven Reasons the Dallas Cowboys will win the NFC East in 2009 - Bleacherreport.com

Spursfan092120
05-25-2009, 04:09 PM
The Dallas Cowboys can and will win the NFC East in 2009.
The statisticians and experts can sing the praises of the great moves the Eagles and Giants made during this offseason.
Dallas hasn't made the same great moves in free agency or drafted any impact players. However, the Cowboys have several off-the-field factors that have galvanized this team and should make them the Beast of the East this coming season.
Below you'll find 11 reasons, in honor of Roy Williams, that tell you how and why.

1. Improved chemistry—This may be the most-talked about, and talked-to-death, aspect of the upcoming season in Dallas. However, the Cowboys could sure be helped by not dealing with T.O.'s tweets (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/post-20.html) and all else that comes with the mercurial wide receiver.
Despite being great guys, cutting loose Safety Roy Williams and Greg Ellis will rid the Cowboys of two guys constantly upset with their roles on the team.
2. Offseason work—The Dallas media has also run stories of Tony Romo and Roy Williams working out, everyday on the ground. Again though, you have to acknowledge the benefits of this workout chemistry and new-found timing between Romo and his new No. 1 receiver.
3. Injuries balance out—Football Outsiders (http://footballoutsiders.com/) say the Cowboys were the healthiest team in the NFL from 2003-2007. So, last year, the pendulum swung back and Dallas suffered several key injuries. If the Cowboys return closer toward a healthy extreme, or at least to the mean, Dallas won't suffer from key losses while playing in the toughest division in football.
4. Tony Romo is tired—If you listen to Romo's interviews after OTAs the last couple of days, you would notice something very different about him.
The quarterback is tired of T.O., tired of playoff failure, tired of his own celebrity, and tired of being a great quote. When being "just happy to be here" is no longer good enough, players develop the edge needed to advance to the next level.
5. Improved running game—In Marion Barber III and Tashard Choice, the Cowboys have two chain-moving backs that have proven themselves against teams in tough December and January games.
Felix Jones is a legitimate game-breaker, ready to emerge as a go-to highlight on Sportscenter this year. The offensive line has been together for three years now, and Year Three seems to be when line continuity can make a line dominant.
6. Two-headed tight end monster-Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett are the best tight end combination in the NFL. Most experts consider Witten to be the most complete tight end alive, and Bennett averaged 14 yards per catch and had four touchdowns as a rookie.
7. The best pass rush in football—Our mutual friend Bill Simmons (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index) has a theory that in this age of parody in the NFL, the team that does one thing better than anyone else does their best thing should win the Super Bowl, i.e. 2007 Giants' pass rush.
The Dallas Cowboys have had the best pass rush in football going back to the St. Louis game in Week Seven, when DeMarcus Ware had three sacks. With the team breaking even along the front seven during free agency, the pass rush unit should be the story of the 2009 Cowboys.
8. Joe DeCamillis—Before Coach Joe 2.0 turned into a Willis Reed-type story at OTAs (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/joe-decamillis-is-a-bleepin-inspiration.html), he had already impressed all observers with his attention to detail and passion for special teams. After the disaster that was Bruce Read, Dallas will reap huge rewards from hiring DeCamillis to be Special Teams Moses.
9. Media backing off?—For Tony Romo and every other guy with a star on his helmet, living in a 24 hour media circus can wear you down and hurt your on-field performance.
With T.O. in Buffalo and the collapse at the end of the last three seasons, the national (not the local) media have migrated to better stories for the time being.
10. Demarcus Ware wants to get paid—Ware will lead the NFL in sacks again and challenge for Defensive Player of the Year, either to justify a newly-signed contract or upcoming monster contract.
11. Careers at crossroads—Wade Phillips has never held a head coaching job longer than three years, and this is his third in Dallas. Tony Romo has had three consecutive disastrous ends to his season. Jerry Jones traded for a true No. 1 Receiver in Roy Williams, and so far Williams has played like No. 2.
Considering all of these reasons and more, these players have to prove they can succeed in the spotlight of the Cowboys, or find themselves being exiled to Buffalo or Cincinnati where the lights aren't quite so bright.
If Roy Williams' work habits and the other 10 reasons on the list impact Dallas on the field this year, expect the Cowboys to open Cowboys Stadium with an NFC East Champion banner and the first playoff win since 1996.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/183135-eleven-reasons-the-dallas-cowboys-will-win-the-nfc-east-in-2009

I'd be stoked..that's for sure.

Stringer_Bell
05-26-2009, 06:42 AM
It's amazing how quiet Dallas has been (weather accident not included) since TO left. I wanted him to stay, but it definitely feels like the chemistry has improved and everyone is getting comfortable with their roles. More importantly, Special Teams will hopefully see some more disciplined play execution this season. As long as Tony quits being content and starts making a push to play with the same intelligence it takes to win a playoff game, I have no doubt they'll make a hell of run. The first few weeks of last season showed the Cowboys were still the most exciting team to watch in football, and they've got a lot of the same personnel so hopefully they are mentally tougher this season.

GO COWBOYS!

samikeyp
05-26-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. I have no doubt that they can kick ass for half a season...its after Thanksgiving that I wonder about.

manufan10
05-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I sure hope so. I don't want the opening of Cowboys Stadium to end up how they closed Texas Stadium, with a loss. I truly hope #3 is right on target. Last year was like the year for injuries. What killed them last year was having an incompetent backup QB starting for 3 games.

DBryant88
05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I sure hope so. I don't want the opening of Cowboys Stadium to end up how they closed Texas Stadium, with a loss. I truly hope #3 is right on target. Last year was like the year for injuries. What killed them last year was having an incompetent backup QB starting for 3 games.

lol brad johnson and brooks bollinger

BUMP
05-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I have mixed feelings about this year but honestly i cant see us doing any better than last year. i think 9-7 is the best we could get and maybe a win in the playoffs if we matchup well with someone, but thats as far as we'll go.

The PROs

-TO's gone, automatically less distraction
-Hopefully there won't be as many injuries. Felix only played in 3 games, our defense was injured a lot, Romo, Barber missed some time
-Roy Williams with a whole offseason to prepare
-Wade will be running his defense all season

The CONs

-Huge dropoff at WR. IF we are healthy our top 3 WRs are Roy Williams, Miles Austin, and Patrick Crayton :td
-Poor draft
-our OC still sucks

All that being said, i think they are about the same. If we had an gameplan to incorporate a run first type offense successfully, we will be deadly. Problem is that i have no faith in Garrett

Spursfan092120
05-27-2009, 12:35 AM
I have mixed feelings about this year but honestly i cant see us doing any better than last year. i think 9-7 is the best we could get and maybe a win in the playoffs if we matchup well with someone, but thats as far as we'll go.

The PROs

-TO's gone, automatically less distraction
-Hopefully there won't be as many injuries. Felix only played in 3 games, our defense was injured a lot, Romo, Barber missed some time
-Roy Williams with a whole offseason to prepare
-Wade will be running his defense all season

The CONs

-Huge dropoff at WR. IF we are healthy our top 3 WRs are Roy Williams, Miles Austin, and Patrick Crayton :td
-Poor draft
-our OC still sucks

All that being said, i think they are about the same. If we had an gameplan to incorporate a run first type offense successfully, we will be deadly. Problem is that i have no faith in Garrett
I think our running game is going to be the next big thing next year. We still have all 3 running backs...I'd love to see a Maryland I formation next year...all 3 backs in the game at the same time? Wow..that'd be insane. I actually think our draft was really good. No...we didn't draft any big names...but we don't need that. We drafted grunts...tough players..and we drafted players in the positions we needed.

Spursfan092120
05-27-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. I have no doubt that they can kick ass for half a season...its after Thanksgiving that I wonder about.
:depressed
Thinking positive....we can have a good December...

NewJerSpur
05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Not trying to hate (the Seahawks may have their own problems with Arizona), but the Giants should be a lock....I could still see you getting a Wild Card birth though, unless the Saints actually learn how to play defense.

IronMexican
05-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Not trying to hate (the Seahawks may have their own problems with Arizona), but the Giants should be a lock....I could still see you getting a Wild Card birth though, unless the Saints actually learn how to play defense.

You're selling the Eagles short.

NewJerSpur
05-27-2009, 03:16 AM
You're selling the Eagles short.

Depends. Their defensive coordinator is having health issues, one of their primary leaders on defense is gone, and no one knows how the new & offensive linemen weapons will work out or if Donovan can actualy play back-to-back season without getting hurt at some point....having said all that, the Giants may still be the stronger team, especially with a healthy Osi.

BUMP
05-30-2009, 11:49 AM

:wow:wow:wow

Nobody is ever a lock in the NFC East

Spursfan092120
05-30-2009, 01:05 PM
:wow:wow:wow

Nobody is ever a lock in the NFC East
Exactly...the Cowboys were a lock last year...there's no such thing as a lock in our division.

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 07:11 PM
The Giants are becoming the Patriots of the NFC East IMO. Take away a few players, plug in more, and you're still pretty dominant. You guys are right in that nothing is ever a lock, but they may be pretty damn close to it.

BUMP
05-30-2009, 07:31 PM
The Giants are becoming the Patriots os the NFC East IMO. Take away a few players, plug in more, and you're still pretty dominant. You guys are right in that nothing is ever a lock, but they may be pretty damn close to it.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Not even close. The Patriots won like 6 divisional titles in a row and like 7 out of 8. Giants haven't even won consecutive

The NFC East is as much of a tossup as any division in the NFL with the exception of the NFC South.

Last year Giants won

08 Dallas
07 Philly
06 Giants
05 Philly
04 Philly

If the Redskins didn't constantly suck then maybe we would be more competitive than the NFC South.

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 08:52 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Not even close. The Patriots won like 6 divisional titles in a row and like 7 out of 8. Giants haven't even won consecutive

The NFC East is as much of a tossup as any division in the NFL with the exception of the NFC South.

Last year Giants won

08 Dallas
07 Philly
06 Giants
05 Philly
04 Philly

If the Redskins didn't constantly suck then maybe we would be more competitive than the NFC South.

This is true Bump, but the Giants look like the best team in the NFC on paper....and yes, I know that why they play the games. But they proved last season that the SB championship was no fluke and not only made it back to the playoffs (which many teams often don't), but lead the division and defeated last season's SB champs IN Pissburgh (I spelled it like that on purpose). They are modelling themselves like the Pats in that they are drafting wisely, doing a good job in Free Agency, and plugging holes that arise.

BUMP
05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
This is true Bump, but the Giants look like the best team in the NFC on paper....and yes, I know that why they play the games. But they proved last season that the SB championship was no fluke and not only made it back to the playoffs (which many teams often don't), but lead the division and defeated last season's SB champs IN Pissburgh (I spelled it like that on purpose). They are modelling themselves like the Pats in that they are drafting wisely, doing a good job in Free Agency, and plugging holes that arise.

I agree to an extent. However most teams that are on top will be conservative in the draft and free agency making these small moves look like good moves.

What the Giants have done is good, but Eli is no Tom Brady. He isn't the best QB in the division and you could argue that he might not even be 2nd best.

Once they lost Burress last season, their offense went down the drain and never recovered really. We will see if they can replace it this year but i doubt it.

NewJerSpur
05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
I agree to an extent. However most teams that are on top will be conservative in the draft and free agency making these small moves look like good moves.

What the Giants have done is good, but Eli is no Tom Brady. He isn't the best QB in the division and you could argue that he might not even be 2nd best.

Once they lost Burress last season, their offense went down the drain and never recovered really. We will see if they can replace it this year but i doubt it.

I agree Bump, and I can't stand Eli (I'm a Peyton man myself). I just think the receiving draftpicks for NY might be the remedy for the Plax situation, which scares the hell out of me as a fan of an NFC team (Seahawks).