PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what it is but what are your kids to you?

Oscar DeLa
05-25-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't know what it is but what do your kids mean to you? world, everything, life or heart?

BRHornet45
05-25-2009, 06:14 PM
son why isn't there an option of "nothing"?

FaithInOne
05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
cheddar in the mailbox

Frenzy
05-25-2009, 07:06 PM
where's the "all of the above" option?

Bukefal
05-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Its probably everything, for people who have kids. dont have children myself.

Nice sig! :toast

mookie2001
05-25-2009, 09:29 PM
it should be world, everything might win
heart is a darkhorse, then again life is life

mavs>spurs2
05-25-2009, 09:31 PM
son why isn't there an option of "nothing"?

Dude. Your sig. Holy fuck. I just came

Summers
05-26-2009, 07:21 AM
It's a weird poll, but until you have kids you think people are being dramatic when they say they'd step in front of a train for their kids or fight off wild animals for them. Once you have kids, you get it. Your heart aches when they're sad. You're happy when they're happy. You think about them all the time and gladly make sacrifices so they can be happy.

JoeChalupa
05-26-2009, 07:41 AM
All of the above would be great.

SA210
05-26-2009, 08:20 AM
My daughter is everything to me.

Strike
05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't have any kids. And don't want any kids. So, much like Dark Helmut being Lone Starr's Fathers brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, it means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Also, and not to shit on anyone here, the whole "my kids are my life/world/heart/inspiration/etc" thing is such a canned response. While it's true that most everyone loves their kids, it's the kind of thing a parent almost has to say regardless of whether their kids are angels or straight up monsters.

tonylongoriafan
05-26-2009, 09:04 AM
dude. Your sig. Holy fuck. I just came

+1

JoeChalupa
05-26-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't have any kids. And don't want any kids. So, much like Dark Helmut being Lone Starr's Fathers brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, it means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Also, and not to shit on anyone here, the whole "my kids are my life/world/heart/inspiration/etc" thing is such a canned response. While it's true that most everyone loves their kids, it's the kind of thing a parent almost has to say regardless of whether their kids are angels or straight up monsters.

I've talked to some parents who don't like their kids and will say it. While I love my kids I don't always like their attitude or behavior. Canned response? Yes, you can call it that but it is, for me at least, a very true canned response.

SpursStalker
05-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I've talked to some parents who don't like their kids and will say it. While I love my kids I don't always like their attitude or behavior. Canned response? Yes, you can call it that but it is, for me at least, a very true canned response.

You said that nicer than I would have ... Thanks Joe!!

I love my kids regardless of if they are monsters or not.

mrsmaalox
05-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Also, and not to shit on anyone here, the whole "my kids are my life/world/heart/inspiration/etc" thing is such a canned response. While it's true that most everyone loves their kids, it's the kind of thing a parent almost has to say regardless of whether their kids are angels or straight up monsters. I'm sure your parents loved you anyway, in spite of everything ;) Just teasing you Strike :)

Blake
05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
tax incentive.

great thread.

mrsmaalox
05-26-2009, 11:22 AM
It's a weird poll because all the choices pretty much mean the same thing to me. But for sure I know that my kids are the reason I was put on this earth.

IronMexican
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
It's a weird poll, but until you have kids you think people are being dramatic when they say they'd step in front of a train for their kids or fight off wild animals for them. Once you have kids, you get it. Your heart aches when they're sad. You're happy when they're happy. You think about them all the time and gladly make sacrifices so they can be happy.

If you stepped in front of a train to save his life, the only thing that would happen is the both of you die.

Blake
05-26-2009, 01:32 PM
If you stepped in front of a train to save his life, the only thing that would happen is the both of you die.

:lol

Drachen
05-26-2009, 01:33 PM

You are looking at it the wrong way. Those phrases are a cliche for a reason. I mean, I just changed daycares for my daughter. She is 22 months old. The new daycare has 3 playgrounds so that they are playing on age appropriate gear (the old one had one, and the gear was good for her age, not so good in a year or more). They have a pool so that when she is 3 or older she can start playing in the pool and getting free swimming lessons (no pool for the old). The daycare takes kids after 5 years old (old one didn't) with a school bus to pick them up from school and take them there. They have a clearly defined and organized lesson plan (the other had a lesson plan but it was a little fuzzy). They have 2 teachers per class instead of one (though the classes are a little bigger, so the teacher/student ratio isn't quite half of what it was at the old one, but still favors the new one). On top of all of this, the cost of attendance is $24 less a week ($31 less per week if I pay by the month, the old one had no such monthly payment deal). The new one takes credit cards, so I can get rewards points for paying for her daycare, the old one took cash or check. We don't have checks, so we almost always ended up paying an atm fee of $2 if we forgot to hit the bank on the way to work. This is just about the easiest decision ever, right?? On top of all this, I am never EVER emotional about a financial decision, and this one is so totally clear that it is unbelievable. Then as the time got closer, I started realizing, she has been going there (old one) since she was 6 mos old. I KNOW that the people working there love her (when I brought her in the morning they fight over whose class she gets to go into until the teacher for her class comes in about a half hour after I drop her off). Then as it got even closer, I dropped her off one day (later than usual), and she promptly started walking up to each of the kids in her class, saying their names, and giving them a hug and a kiss. Her teacher's name was miss jamila, she called her "mama." Then my fiance' got sick in her last week there, so I had to start picking her up, and saw her saying goodbye to all of the teachers by name "wu wu" for miss lulu, etc. Jesus Christ! This decision that is the clearest ever became so clouded. I was deciding to hurt my 22 month old daughter. I was ripping her from all her friends. Yes the other one has better amenities, but does that replace the friendship and love that she is losing with her peers and teachers? What if the new one has kids that are mean to her? What if the new teachers are flippant and disinterested. This supposedly clear decision that is for her good and the good of the family could ruin her. Then the old one offered to price match (damn did that make it tough), but I had to force myself to go through with it. Then we had to show up 30 mins early on the first day for a little orientation and when we left she grabbed my leg, then my fiance's leg harder than I had ever seen her grab before, just crying and howling. When I got to my car, I was totally broken. What had I done? I called and checked on her an hour or so later, and they said she was happily playing. When I picked her up she seemed content with the other kids, then saw me and smiled and squealed. She has been there a week and a half, still cries when we drop her off, but seems content when we pick her up. I am still having trouble with this, but it is lessening. This small 22 month old completely and utterly broke down this rational, logical, emotionally disciplined almost 30 year old man, without doing anything . . . at all.

THAT is why she is my world, everything, heart, life, savior, direction, and any other cliche you want to throw my way. Because it is true.

thispego
05-26-2009, 04:49 PM
LOL. good thread. having a baby is like getting a pet that eventually learns to talk.

Strike
05-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm sure your parents loved you anyway, in spite of everything ;) Just teasing you Strike :)

It wasn't easy for them, that's for sure.

Strike
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I applaud all of you who do everything you can to give your children a good home, love and stability. If I offended anyone with my post, I sincerely apologize. For those of you who put your kids' lives before your own, you all deserve respect. My point was that some parents say things like "my kids are my life" and whatever, yet treat their kids like a burden.

My ex-sister in law is like that. It just bothers me when I see parents who say "I love my kids more than anything" only to act like their children cramp their style. Again, I'm not accusing ANYONE on this board. I don't know any of you personally so there is no way I could make that claim.

I was adopted. My parents gave me a great life that my birth parents could never have given me. I was incredibly lucky to be adopted and raised by people who loved me unconditionally and taught be good and honest values. I have younger siblings from my birth mother that grew up horribly because my birth mother put her drug addictions before the needs of her children. But her kids are her life. She says it all the time so it must be true, right?

tlongII
05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
I haven't met my kids. Yet.

TDMVPDPOY
05-27-2009, 12:11 AM
wheres the option for receiving welfare payments?

SpursWoman
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
I guess I could always go ask this lady at work whose daughter was just killed in a car wreck over the weekend what she thinks. But then, I have no idea how long she'll be out of the office so you'd have to wait.

great thread.

+1

phyzik
05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I dont know, havnt had them yet, but I feel like smacking the shit out of my best friends kid sometimes. I've been around 2 year olds before, quite a few of them, and this one takes the cake by far as the worst. The sad thing is that its his 3rd. The other 2 where great at that age. You'd think he had parenting down by now. :lol

SpursWoman
05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

SpursWoman
05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
You WILL NEVER NEVER know! Until you have kids! NOT UNTIL THEN! NEVER!

Next time you've got an irregular heartbeat let me know, I'm sure I can help you out just as well as any cardiologist could. I mean, I've got a heart after all, how hard can it possibly be? :spin

I'm not sure whether all of this disdain you idiots always have for parents is because your own parents were complete failures, or because no one wants to get close enough to you to make you one. :lol

Strike
05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Uh-oh, look out. Different opinions get you called an "idiot" and your own parents "failures". Shocking.

By the way, very poor comparison. Cardiologists go through years of school and specialized training to be qualified to check you out if you have an irregular heartbeat. But just about any two jagoffs with working reproductive parts can crap out a kid and play the "my child is my life" card whether it's true or not.

I have no problem with parents in general. I have a problem with shitty parents. Just because you have the capability to crap out a kid doesn't mean you should.

SpursWoman
05-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Uh-oh, look out. Different opinions get you called an "idiot" and your own parents "failures". Shocking.

By the way, very poor comparison. Cardiologists go through years of school and specialized training to be qualified to check you out if you have an irregular heartbeat. But just about any two jagoffs with working reproductive parts can crap out a kid and play the "my child is my life" card whether it's true or not.

I have no problem with parents in general. I have a problem with shitty parents. Just because you have the capability to crap out a kid doesn't mean you should.

The comparison was meant to be ridiculous, just like this thread ... the " :lol " and the " :spin " probably should have indicated that. Sorry.

thispego
05-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Next time you've got an irregular heartbeat let me know, I'm sure I can help you out just as well as any cardiologist could. I mean, I've got a heart after all, how hard can it possibly be? :spin

I'm not sure whether all of this disdain you idiots always have for parents is because your own parents were complete failures, or because no one wants to get close enough to you to make you one. :lol

because parents think their life is worth more with kids. because they think the childless are less enlightened about the meaning of life. because parents think their kids are the best kids (most special) out there. because parents don't acknowledge that making a baby is one of the easiest things you can do. because parents feel like their life is no longer their own. because parents feel like they have joined a special club that only other parents have the credentials to join. because parents think they know more about kids and being a parent than non-parents. because parents feel it necessary to update EVERYONE on everything that happens with their pregnancy and kids' lives. etc etc etc

SpursWoman
05-27-2009, 05:21 PM
because parents think their life is worth more with kids. because they think the childless are less enlightened about the meaning of life. because parents think their kids are the best kids (most special) out there. because parents don't acknowledge that making a baby is one of the easiest things you can do. because parents feel like their life is no longer their own. because parents feel like they have joined a special club that only other parents have the credentials to join. because parents think they know more about kids and being a parent than non-parents. because parents feel it necessary to update EVERYONE on everything that happens with their pregnancy and kids' lives. etc etc etc

So what? Why do you really care ... do you feel left out or something? I'm pretty sure you do have to have a kid (credentials) to be a parent ... and I don't think I'm wrong about that. :lol

And I don't think anyone said fucking was one of the hardest things to do ... but making the sacrifices you have to make to try and give them the best life possible can be extremely challenging, to say the least. Do you really dispute that? Of course, if you'd have had to nix your social life one particular night because you had no one to babysit, it might have saved you the hassle of a PI. ;)

Kids are a huge topic of interest to those that have them, and people like to talk about things that interest them ... especially with people that have the same interest. Go figure.

Edit: My son got a 100% on his math TAKS!!! Woohooo! I squeezed out a smart one!! :cheer :spin

FaithInOne
05-27-2009, 05:24 PM

lol oh snap. The force was strong in this post. :toast

thispego
05-27-2009, 06:19 PM
So what? Why do you really care ... do you feel left out or something? I'm pretty sure you do have to have a kid (credentials) to be a parent ... and I don't think I'm wrong about that. :lol
Because i enjoy knocking people off their high horses. You are not special for having a kid and your kid is equally un-special (not just you spurswoman. everyone!)

And what i mean by parents thinking they are in a special club is their belief that they now know more than those who dont have kids. Like they are enlightened or something. e.g. "when i held my baby in my arms for the first time, the light came on and i saw the world in a completely different way" (lol)

And I don't think anyone said fucking was one of the hardest things to do ... but making the sacrifices you have to make to try and give them the best life possible can be extremely challenging, to say the least. Do you really dispute that? Of course, if you'd have had to nix your social life one particular night because you had to stay home because you had no one to babysit, it might have saved you a PI. ;)
making sacrifices is a personal choice, i do not look up to those who make more sacrifices than the next person just s they can buy their kid rock band AND guitar hero with a drum set.

my PI charges were dropped because I'm awesome. i could parent babies every day whilst remaining above the law and not feel like I was better than anyone for it.

Kids are a huge topic of interest to those that have them, and people like to talk about things that interest them ... especially with people that have the same interest. Go figure.
people are free to talk about their kids but i'm also free to tell them their shit is not impressive and that their kid can not be the greatest if there are billions of other parents who think the same thing.

Edit: My son got a 100% on his math TAKS!!! :cheer :spin
your kids teacher gave him and his other classmates the answer before the test. SOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY SENNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOORRRR!!

ALVAREZ6
05-27-2009, 07:11 PM
what a gay thread

thispego
05-27-2009, 07:23 PM
what are you to your parents, alvie?

Drachen
05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Because i enjoy knocking people off their high horses. You are not special for having a kid and your kid is equally un-special (not just you spurswoman. everyone!)

Actually you are, by definition, special. The state that a human comes into this world is as a non-parent. Then when one has a child, they join the "parent's club." You can debate which club is better (parents or natural state), I won't because it is subjective, and until you have experienced both, you cannot know which you like better, JUST LIKE ANYTHING ELSE.

And what i mean by parents thinking they are in a special club is their belief that they now know more than those who dont have kids. Like they are enlightened or something. e.g. "when i held my baby in my arms for the first time, the light came on and i saw the world in a completely different way" (lol)

They DO know more than those who don't have kids, about being a parent. I state the previous with the caveat that I am excluding bad parents, because they aren't actually parenting. It's like someone who says they are a basketball player because they bought the jersey, the don't practice, aren't on a team and don't even own a basketball, they aren't really in that "special club" of basketball players. As far as your quote at the end. This is true for a lot of people, and how do you know that no light came on and they didn't see anything differently. My buddy was totally ragging on me when we found out that I was going to be a dad. He was so happy that he wasn't going to have to deal with it, etc. Then a year later he knocked up his (then) girlfriend. TWINS. He is the most sarcastic to dry humor type person, doesn't take much seriously. He makes fun of people who care to much about something, you get the picture. We were talking on the phone the other day and he said that one of his sons had laughed for the first time. Then he sighed a big sigh and said "you know all that stuff that parents talk about that is just stupid ridiculous shit that is unimpressive and they think it is totally magical?? You know, that stuff that makes you just want to punch them in the face because they won't quit talking about the fact that their baby did some mundane thing??" I said "yes." Then he got real silent, let out a big sigh and said in a very sad voice "It's magical." Then we talked about how us 4 years ago would beat up us now.

making sacrifices is a personal choice, i do not look up to those who make more sacrifices than the next person just s they can buy their kid rock band AND guitar hero with a drum set.

I agree. I make sacrifices, but not because I want to by some stupid shit that kids shouldn't be playing with yet (though mine is only 22 months), but we are buying non Dora, non-name brand stuff. She can get caught up in all that later, but won't learn it from me.

my PI charges were dropped because I'm awesome. i could parent babies every day whilst remaining above the law and not feel like I was better than anyone for it.

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say here. The way you told the story your PI was undeserved, so I am assuming that is the reason it was dropped, not anything to do with your awesome to lame ratio. I don't feel better than anyone who doesn't have a child, but I do know more about being a parent than people who don't have a child

people are free to talk about their kids but i'm also free to tell them their shit is not impressive and that their kid can not be the greatest if there are billions of other parents who think the same thing.

You are absolutely right about the freedom thing, and then they are free to think that you don't know what you are talking about without having experienced the necessary prerequisites to make such a judgement call. As far as the greatest thing, once again this is a subjective observation, why are you getting your panties in a bunch over an obvious opinion.

your kids teacher gave him and his other classmates the answer before the test. SOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY SENNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOORRRR!!

Mine isn't in school yet, so no comment.

SpursWoman
05-28-2009, 12:08 PM

Funny .... I have about 14 years of 24/7/365 hands-on, round the clock, no holiday or summer vacation, specialized training on how to be a parent and everything that's involved in being so. Would you think, given these circumstances, that I just might know more about being a parent than say, someone who might have just babysat a couple of times at the most?

Meh ... according to him, his teacher is mean and must hate his guts or something ... so I don't think this could be the case. :king

lefty
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
The kids I don't have are everything to me

Ballcox
05-28-2009, 02:32 PM
My 3 kids mean everything in the world to me, and I do everything I can for them so that they have a good foundation to begin thier lives.

The important word in that statement is THEIR. My kids aren't there to make up for some kind of shortcoming or unachieved goal in my life, they aren't there to support me emotionally or financially. They are in my house so that I can hopefully give them a positive adult role model to look at for when they reach adulthood. They are there so that I can answer their unending questions to the best of my ability.

The priority in my life remains today and in the future my wife and our marriage. If my marriage isn't the priority in my life, then my kids will suffer. They'll most likely experience divorce, horrible arguments that go on in front of them, substance abuse, etc.

So, while I love my kids with all my heart and will do anything and everything to protect them, love them, and be consistent for them-my priority is my wife and our relationship together. Because after the kids all move out, we've got a lot of life and time together.

mookie2001
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
my google phone is my heart
i can post on the drive while spraying huisache

talk to me in ten years pego, then we'll see if you still think the same way