PDA

View Full Version : More Trouble With Fans In Greek Finals

duncan228
05-25-2009, 05:58 PM
More trouble with fans in Greek finals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-greekfinals&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Demetris Nellas

Mike Batiste scored 18 points to lead host Panathinaikos to a 91-64 victory over archrival Olympiakos on Monday in another Greek finals game marred by unruly fan behavior.

Despite the easy victory that gave Panathinaikos a 2-0 lead in the best-of-5 series, coach Zelimir Obradovic was livid at his own fans in the near-sellout crowd of 18,000.

Panathinaikos had left more than 400 seats close to the visiting bench empty as a precaution designed to prevent a repeat of the incidents that marred the opening game played at Olympiakos’ home arena.

In that game, Olympiakos fans threw flares and other projectiles at Panathinaikos’ bench.

Despite the extra security measures, and repeated warnings to the fans to behave, the game was stopped for 12 minutes with 2:28 left in the third quarter and Panathinaikos leading 58-38, when a flare thrown at Olympiakos’ bench set fire to a player’s duffel bag.

Several projectiles were also thrown, one slightly injuring Olympiakos forward Nikola Vujcic.

“I say to these fans, ‘Don’t come to another game, evermore,”’ a flustered Obradovic told reporters after the game. “Instead of watching two teams play, teams for which Greece should be proud of, some people come to do stupid things. … It is time to take some action.”

Olympiakos will host Game 3 on Thursday or Friday.

Jacko
05-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Euro fans are pure trash.

They should team up with DET fans and off themselves.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-25-2009, 06:01 PM
If I started this thread there would already be 20 posts demanding that I be banned. And once again it proves NBA fans lie.

"There is always only 300 fans at Greek league games. Greek arenas are high school size".

One more win and PAO has won the TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPIONSHIP!

Spursfan092120
05-25-2009, 06:05 PM
If I started this thread there would already be 20 posts demanding that I be banned. And once again it proves NBA fans lie.

"There is always only 300 fans at Greek league games. Greek arenas are high school size".

One more win and PAO has won the TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPIONSHIP!
LOL..you're an idiot..only a couple of people has said you should be banned. You irritate the shit out of me, and I think you're a jackass, but I still don't think you should be banned. And no one says you should be banned because of threads...it's when you say Americans are fools and idiots...that's what pisses us off..especially since you are one...and you actually try to play off that you're not.

Bob Lanier
05-25-2009, 06:06 PM
PAO has a horse racing team?

Bukefal
05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
It's a shame, ive said many times before. Obradovic is right, something should be done. Enough is enough. This shit ruins the game. Anyway, PAO did good!

Congrats KBP :)

Spursfan092120
05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
PAO has a horse racing team?
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Bukefal
05-25-2009, 06:10 PM
PAO TRASH REDS FOR 2-0 LEAD

Panathinaikos are one win away from completing the treble after thrashing 91-64 Olympiakos in Game 2 of the A1 League play-off final, which was marred by further fan misbehaviour.
The reigning European champions and Greek Cup holders were devastating in defence and ruthless in offense, as they powered to a 2-0 lead in the series.

The Greens can add the Greek championship to their haul of titles with win against Olympiakos in the next game, which is at the Peace and Friendship Stadium on Thursday.

The result of the game was only in doubt for the first couple of minutes, when the visitors started strongly. But the home side soon found its rhythm and a combination of sharp shooting and organised defending wiped out any chances of an Olympiakos win.

On the night, Panathinaikos's big guns, including Sarunas Jasikevicius, Mike Batiste, Nikola Pekovic and Vassilis Spanoulis all stepped up their game but too many of Olympiakos's top players, including Josh Childress, Lynn Greer and Yotam Halperin put in below par performances.

Having trailed 8-4 at the start of the first quarter, Panathinaikos soon hit their stride and ended the period up by 10 points (21-11).

The Greens confirmed their superiority in the second period and fought off any attempts by the visitors to close the gap, as they went in 39-29 up at half-time.

The Euroleague champions really turned on the style in the third period to extend the difference to 20 points thanks to an emphatic dunk by Batiste, who led the scoring with 18 points, just over two minutes before the end of the period.

However, the sparked an overexubirant reaction from some home fans, which resulted in a flare landing next to the Olympiakos bench and setting fire to one of the players' sports bags.

A bottle was also thrown at the visitors, leading to the game being interrupted for more than five minutes, as it had been in Game 1.

This led to Panathinaikos owners Pavlos and Thanassis Giannakopoulos stepping onto the court and pleading with fans to behave themselves.

When the game resumed, the clearly frustrated Zelimir Obradovic's men picked up where they left off and continued to pound Olympiakos with accurate shots to take a 65-41 lead by the end of the period.

The final quarter became embarrassing at times for the Reds as the home side attempted to avenge a 1996 defeat in the play-offs that saw Olympiakos beat Panathinaikos by 35 points.

The Greens' lead reached 30 points at one stage but the visitors managed to hang on for the final scoreline of 91-64. But it will be little comfort to Panayiotis Yiannakis and his men as they were completely outclassed and face a real battle to prevent Panathianikos from doing a clean sweep later this week.

For Panathinaikos, the only sour note on the night was the behaviour of some of the fans, which will surely lead the team to playing some games behind closed doors next season.

http://www.sportingreece.com/kb/article.asp?fIndex=3251

http://www.sportingreece.com/kb/article.asp?fIndex=3250

Indazone
05-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Euro fans are pure trash.

They should team up with DET fans and off themselves.

Funny you should mention Detroit fans. After watching that BS with the Pacers, I'd have to agree with you. DET fans are pure trash.

rapliketp
05-25-2009, 07:49 PM
LOL..you're an idiot..only a couple of people has said you should be banned. You irritate the shit out of me, and I think you're a jackass, but I still don't think you should be banned. And no one says you should be banned because of threads...it's when you say Americans are fools and idiots...that's what pisses us off..especially since you are one...and you actually try to play off that you're not.

He posts or used to post as Vasileios Spanoulis on this forum http://forums.interbasket.net/f28/

The real Greeks there got sick of him and banned him.

lefty
05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
So when is KBP's trial scheduled ?