PDA

View Full Version : Mo Williams, the confident pseudo All-Star

ffadicted
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Cavs' Williams makes series guarantee (http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/05/25/williams.cavs.ap/index.html)

All I'll say is... :wakeup

LakerHater
05-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Dude musta had a private meeting with Stern!!!

He needs to worry bout hitting his WIDE open shots!

resistanze
05-25-2009, 08:22 PM
LOL @ SVG still having a mouth. I thought Shaq quenched him.

ffadicted
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
LOL @ SVG still having a mouth. I thought Shaq quenched him.

I don't think that is possible lol :rolleyes

Armando
05-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I am shocked that Williams was an All Star. Devin Harris,Derick Rose and as much as of a douche he is Rajon Rondo deserved it more.

resistanze
05-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Wasn't he a replacement-replacement All-Star? He still didn't deserve it.

duncan228
05-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Williams guarantees victory (http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/46029282.html)
By George M. Thomas
Beacon Journal staff writer

ORLANDO: It wasn't as braggadocios as Joe Namath's guarantee that his New York Jets would beat the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III. But when point guard Mo Williams was quasi-manipulated into guaranteeing a Cavaliers' win in tonight's Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals, he got the attention of the assembled media.

''Yeah, we're down 1-2 but there's nobody on this team [who thinks], definitely not myself that thinks we're not going to win the series,'' Williams said Monday afternoon. ''Yeah, it's going to be tough. We know that. We get this game tomorrow and we go home, we have homecourt advantage. We don't see ourselves losing two out of three at home.''

Williams' statement can be seen as more of a sign of confidence than giving his opponent bulletin-board fodder. It wasn't the first time he's said something that might be interpreted as the latter. More than once in the past season, he called out the Boston Celtics.

The Cavs are not, however, playing the Celtics. So far in this series, the Magic have befuddled and bewitched Cleveland on both sides of the ball, although, in fairness, they showed signs of life defensively despite a 99-89 loss Sunday night. Williams, however, has been especially bewildered, hitting on just 18-of-56 shots for 32 percent in the conference finals. He confesses that he's been struggling mentally in this series.

''I want to perform well. I'm searching for answers to try to turn this thing around,'' he said.

But it's not just Williams in this case. It's the rest of the starting lineup as well. With LeBron James excluded, the rest of the starters have hit on 53-of-136 shots for just 39 percent.

''The supporting cast is struggling. We're depending too much on the King. We just have to step up and not worry about him making every play for us. We're getting our shots, but we're getting them all off LeBron,'' Williams said. ''We got to give him a couple of possessions where he doesn't have to do anything.''

The Cavs amassed the best record in basketball primarily because this incarnation of the team played as a single unit without relying on James too much, too often. Now it looks as if they've reverted to the form they displayed two seasons ago when the San Antonio Spurs swept them in the NBA Finals.

James refuses to get down on his teammates, Williams in particular.

''He's got to continue doing what he's done all year and that's play hard and continue to make shots. That'll take some pressure off me and take some pressure off of me, take a lot of pressure off the other guys,'' James said. ''Game 4 will be the perfect time for him to come out and take some pressure off me and the rest of the guys on the team.''

Williams shouldn't bear the brunt of the blame, given the overall numbers for the other starters and the lack of production from the bench for that matter. James realizes what they are up against.

''It's going to be tough. I know they can play a lot better and they know they can play a lot better, but I'm not putting no more pressure on those guys,'' he said. ''They just have to come out and do it.''

It could be Williams' guarantee is little more than a maneuver to light a fire under his teammates or he's just being honest.

Either way James has little problem with it.

''He should be confident about winning the series,'' he said. ''There's no other reason why we should be here. Guarantee or to say you want to win the series is the same thing.''

Mo's bright eye

Williams came to interviews in stylish shades Tuesday, primarily because he didn't want to reveal the wounds he suffered — lacerations above and below the eye that required stitches. But he held steadfast in his belief that the hit by Anthony Johnson that sent him to the deck bleeding was a cheap shot. But when asked about retaliation, he said simply that wasn't what he was about.

''The game of basketball isn't played throwing punches and throwing elbows. It's played with being physical, but being physical the right way,'' he said. ''It's holding your man up on a cut, not giving your man good post position — being physical that way.''

James agreed: ''That's over and done with. His eye is definitely swollen. It's hurt pretty bad, but we're going to move on from there. It happened last night; that's not why we lost the game.''

JustBlaze
05-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Wasn't he a replacement-replacement All-Star? He still didn't deserve it.

Just 1.:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2009, 12:03 AM
He didn't deserve shit. He's a glorified Jamal Crawford who's style of game dominates the regular season but blows the deeper in the playoffs you get.

DAF86
05-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Williams is the most overrated player in the NBA right now.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Williams is the most overrated player in the NBA right now.

True Dat.

All he did was make Cleveland a better regular season team. He arguably makes them a worse playoff team, similar to Barbosa and the Suns. At least they knew what they got from Eric Snow, you have no idea what Maurice Williams will show up to the game.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I never even heard of his suck ass until LeBron made him famous.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2009, 12:15 AM
I never even heard of his suck ass until LeBron made him famous.

That's cause he was busy sucking in Milwaukee.