PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Big Obstacle In Way Of Dream Finals

duncan228
05-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Big obstacle in way of dream Finals (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/46036932.html)
Mike Monroe
Express-News

With home-court advantage regained and lessons apparently learned in the Western Conference finals, the Lakers are back on track to make good on the Kobe Bryant half of the NBA Finals of David Stern's dreams.

It's the LeBron James portion that suddenly looks shaky.

If Stern and ABC miss out on an anticipated TV ratings bonanza greater than anything Michael Jordan produced in any of his Finals, the blame will fall on Dwight Howard. He is using the Eastern Conference finals to remind the world that basketball is a tall man's game.

The Orlando Magic are one LeBron miracle shot shy of an unbeatable 3-0 lead over the Cavaliers because Howard is the most dominant big man in the game.

Just as Tim Duncan made the Spurs the small market team that made Stern grit his teeth, Howard has turned the small-market Magic into Stern's worst playoff nightmare.

Everything the Magic do offensively is predicated on Howard's presence in the low post, and the presumption that opponents must double-team him when he gets the ball near the basket.

If this sounds like the Spurs' approach during the Duncan era, it is no accident. Magic general manager Otis Smith admitted as much during a post-shootaround chat at the AT&T Center when the Magic came to San Antonio in January.

Smith got Rashard Lewis in a sign-and-trade deal with Seattle because he saw bits of both Michael Finley and Robert Horry in him. Howard was the key to allowing Lewis to become a feared 3-point gunner.

Before Howard knew where he would land in the NBA, he told reporters at the 2004 Chicago pre-draft camp that he would judge his career a success if he were to someday elicit comparisons to Duncan, the player whose game he most admired.

With knees that still have thick layers of cartilage, Howard now is more dangerous in the low post than Duncan. What he lacks in Duncan-like finesse from the perimeter, he makes up for with LeBron-like athleticism. Howard's combination of speed and power is unmatched in the league.

The league's coaches have put Duncan on one of the All-Defensive teams every season he has been in the NBA, but he's never led the league in blocked shots or been voted Defensive Player of the Year.

Howard did both this season.

The Cavaliers have a 7-foot-3 center who has been an All-Star, but Howard has 64 points and 40 rebounds in three conference finals games.

How thoroughly can Howard dominate at both ends?

Ask the league's 30 general managers which player they would most like to build around for the next 10 years, and Howard would get plenty of votes. James would win this hypothetical, but the guys who pick the personnel still understand the value of long and talented.

There was a reason Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Bowie were drafted ahead of Jordan.

Bryant? At age 30 and 6-foot-7, he is too old and short for consideration in our “around whom would you build for the next decade?” debate.

He is still the player every sane coach wants if a game is on the line and time is of the essence. But he is six years older than James and seven years older than Howard.

TampaDude
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Yup...DH is a beast, no doubt. Magic in 6.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-26-2009, 12:23 PM
While far less ratings friendly than Lebron and the Cavs, I don't think that the Magic represent anything close to the ratings black hole that the Spurs did. Dwight's way more outgoing with the media in general than Tim is and thanks to a complete lack of anything resembling finesse in his game he can't be labeled "boring". On top of that thanks to geography I imagine anyone who was a bandwagon Heat fan in 06 is now probably on the Magic bandwagon as well. Hell, I know plenty of Rockets fans that are pulling hard for the Magic just because Rashard Lewis is from Houston.

Besides, I think that the Lakers are the more important part of the ratings equation. If it were Cavs/Nuggets I probably wouldn't watch. With Lakers/Magic I might tune in for a game or two just out of hopes of seeing Kobe and Phil get shat upon in the finals again. A good villain is just as good of a draw as a great hero.

Indazone
05-26-2009, 12:28 PM
The Magic are a well rounded team. They are strong at the low post and they have great three point shooters. If you double low, you free up the shooters. This team is designed to wreak havoc against a team like the Cavs or Lakers.

TampaDude
05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
The Magic are a well rounded team. They are strong at the low post and they have great three point shooters. If you double low, you free up the shooters. This team is designed to wreak havoc against a team like the Cavs or Lakers.

Yup...Howard would abuse Gasol, Bynum, and Odom in the post.

z0sa
05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Besides, I think that the Lakers are the more important part of the ratings equation. If it were Cavs/Nuggets I probably wouldn't watch. With Lakers/Magic I might tune in for a game or two just out of hopes of seeing Kobe and Phil get shat upon in the finals again. A good villain is just as good of a draw as a great hero.

Very much agree. Besides the fact teh Laker's TV market is multiple times larger than Cleveland's, there's as many Laker and Kobe haters as there are homers IMO.

miss paxton
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Big obstacle in way of dream Finals (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/46036932.html)
Mike Monroe
Express-News

If Stern and ABC miss out on an anticipated TV ratings bonanza greater than anything Michael Jordan produced in any of his Finals

I don't see how anyone could argue that even Kobe-LeBron would pull in ratings approaching any of Jordan's Finals. I think somebody posted this recently here but I'll re-post the link to the chart for NBA Finals ratings from 1976-2008:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/22/nba-finals-tv-ratings-1974-2008/19324

In 1998 an average of 29 million viewers watched Chicago-Utah (and I don't think anyone could call Utah anything but a small market team). Ten years later, the league finally had its dream historic, double-large-market team matchup, with the Kobe Bryant Lakers and the Kevin Garnett Celtics--nothing could have been easier to market. And yet that matchup drew slightly less than 15 million viewers, around half of what Chicago-Utah drew ten years prior. Maybe LeBron's presence will draw more casual fans, but would it really draw more casual fans than those who were intrigued by the two of the most historically significant NBA franchises, with all the history between them? There's only way to know, and that's to see what happens if Lakers-Cavs is the Finals we get, but I would be beyond shocked if they pulled in Jordan-like TV ratings.