PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight Howard underrated?

The_Game
05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I mean the guy is a beast and is unstoppable downlow

all the talk heading into this series is all about Lebron and how the Cavs will win e.t.c but people don't see to realise how unstoppable Dwight really is

his stats this post season

19.9 points
15.90 rebouhds
2.3 blocks
60% shooting from the field

Is it fair to say that Dwight is a top 4-5 player in this league?

IronMexican
05-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Fist the Lakers, then, the Cavs. Now, the Magic? Flip-flopping poosy.

JamStone
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
No.

He's rated right where he should be. The most dominant defensive center in the league. A great athlete. But, a player that still has flaws in the game and can improve several areas of his game in order to become a truly great player.

The_Game
05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Fist the Lakers, then, the Cavs. Now, the Magic? Flip-flopping poosy.

what you on about kid? stick to the topic....unless you are too stupid to even form an opinion.

pauls931
05-26-2009, 01:14 PM
This is like asking if there's a guard better than Nash on a Suns board back in 2006.

E20
05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I've always been awed by Howards athleticism and power, but then when I see Lebron sometimes taking it strong to the basket and challenging Howard's strenfgh I'm like dammmmmmmmmmmmm.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Dwight Howard is eaisly the most overrated superstar in the league. It's borderline laughable to think people try to have realistic discussions about building a team around him. He's been in the league 5 years and still has a lot of holes in his offense. Once his athleticism goes, so will his career.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Jamstone nailed it. If he can work on his post game and improve it steadily the way that Lebron did with his jumper in the last two seasons then he could make the jump to great. If nothing else if he can work on his free throws he could easily add another 2-3 points to his scoring average (maybe more) and become a more reliable threat down the stretch in close games.

pauls931
05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I've always been awed by Howards athleticism and power, but then when I see Lebron sometimes taking it strong to the basket and challenging Howard's strenfgh I'm like dammmmmmmmmmmmm.

He's hard for howard to pick up when dhow already has 4 fouls on him.

lefty
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
No.

He's rated right where he should be. The most dominant defensive center in the league. A great athlete. But, a player that still has flaws in the game and can improve several areas of his game in order to become a truly great player.

IMO, his "defense" is purely based on athleticism.

If he can combine that with Duncan or Rasheed's techniques, the sky is the limit

pauls931
05-26-2009, 01:30 PM

If he can combine that with Duncan or Rasheed's techniques, the sky is the limit

I think it will take time. Like with MJ he was pure athleticism at first, then developed a jump shot, then fadeway, and moved away from the power game. It would be nice if Howard can figure some stuff out before age forces him to.

Muser
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
He's still fairly young, if he spends the summer working on his post game and maybe a mid range jump shot he will be a freakin' beast.

baseline bum
05-26-2009, 01:32 PM
They should get him a coach who knows how to play in the post; not fucking jumpshooting Patrick Ewing. Howard has so much untapped potential.

LnGrrrR
05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
I mean the guy is a beast and is unstoppable downlow

all the talk heading into this series is all about Lebron and how the Cavs will win e.t.c but people don't see to realise how unstoppable Dwight really is

his stats this post season

19.9 points
15.90 rebouhds
2.3 blocks

Is it fair to say that Dwight is a top 4-5 player in this league?

You didn't watch the Celtics-Magic series, did you?

JamStone
05-26-2009, 01:38 PM

I would agree with that. That's why I chose the word "dominant" as opposed to "best" or "skilled" to describe his defense. And, that's like saying Tony Parker's ability to get past defenders is purely based on his quickness. Well yeah.

The_Game
05-26-2009, 01:46 PM

yep I saw him average 21, 13 and close to 3 blocks in leading the magic past Boston

next

manufan10
05-26-2009, 01:49 PM

+1

He was getting beaten by Perkins the whole series. Howard needs to get a low post game, so right now he's overrated offensively. A lot of his points come off of dunks, putbacks, and offensive rebounds. He has a "hook shot" but it's not a consistent weapon. I've seen plenty of those just hit back board from him. Put someone who can handle his physicality and he kind of disappears. If you need an example, look back to the Celtics series and see how Perkins played him. Howard make Perkins look like an All-NBA defensive team.

The_Game
05-26-2009, 01:53 PM
+1

He was getting beaten by Perkins the whole series. Howard needs to get a low post game, so right now he's overrated offensively. A lot of his points come off of dunks, putbacks, and offensive rebounds. He has a "hook shot" but it's not a consistent weapon. I've seen plenty of those just hit back board from him. Put someone who can handle his physicality and he kind of disappears. If you need an example, look back to the Celtics series and see how Perkins played him. Howard make Perkins look like an All-NBA defensive team.

LAST TIME I checked dwight averages

on 55% shooting

clearly Perkins didn't do that great.

JamStone
05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't know if you can call him overrated offensively since most people say he needs a lot of work on his offense. And, does it matter how he scores his points if he's still putting up around 20 ppg? Most fans and analysts agree that Dwight Howard needs a better low post game. I don't think he's rated very high by people in terms of offense. But, as poor as his offense can look, he still shot 55% from the field against the Celtics. He's obviously not as dominant offensively as he is defensively, but I don't feel he's overrated offensively. He needs a lot of work on offense.

JamStone
05-26-2009, 01:56 PM
LAST TIME I checked dwight averages

on 55% shooting

clearly Perkins didn't do that great.

16.4 ppg and 17.1 rpg against the Celtics.

Magic-Celtics series (http://www.nba.com/magic/stats/2008/conf_semi_stats.html)

The_Game
05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
16.4 ppg and 17.1 rpg against the Celtics.

Magic-Celtics series (http://www.nba.com/magic/stats/2008/conf_semi_stats.html)

my mistake, got mixed up with the series with the Cavs.

Still amazing numbers really.

IronMexican
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
IF he had a post game, even if it was only as good as Bynum's or Perkins' post up.

The_Game
05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
IF he had a post game, even if it was only as good as Bynum's or Perkins' post up.

Perkins? HAHAHAHAHA

Perkins has no post skills at all. You even watch basketball?

IronMexican
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
He has more post skills than Howard.

blink
05-26-2009, 02:15 PM
D12 is a glorified glass cleaner. He has 1 offensive move and it's that awful hookshot. Other than that, he relies on his athleticism for everything, offensively and defensively. I can't respect a persons game just based on that.

iggypop123
05-26-2009, 02:19 PM
just like lebron he gets by with his athleticism. he isnt very good just a freak of nature.

poop
05-26-2009, 02:29 PM
hes NOT a great defender.
hes NOT skilled on offense.
hes NOT a great player.

hes a great rebounder.

thats it. the rest of his game is based on pure athleticism...unless hes develops some actual skills (doubtful) he will be a non-factor the second he suffers and injury/his athleticism declines.
his 'offense' is 90% either putback dunks, or dunks off being spoonfed by a teammate. his actual basketball fundamental ability is terrible. cant shoot, sux at freethrows, no post game (incredible considering his physical gifts), no back to the basket game, low passing skills/bbiq.

but hey, like shaq, he still puts up huge numbers.
but-like shaq- its more a factor of his unique physical gifts that from being a 'great player', which technically hes far from.

Soul
05-26-2009, 02:37 PM
After I read "hes not a great defender" I stopped reading. Man to man? He's decent - nothing to write articles about - but hes still very very good

JamStone
05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't quite understand this criticism that he's getting by only on his athleticism. A lot of NBA players rely on athleticism. Until this "career changing injury" or the actual decline in his athleticism actual happens, so what? Yes, he uses his athleticism. It's that athleticism that helps make him dominate as a rebounder and shot blocker and finisher at the rim. "Oh but wait until he's 33 and his athleticism declines." Well shit, seems like he has another 10 years to use that great athleticism then.

It's not like he's too old to develop and improve those skills. And, in the meantime, he's still going to pull down 15 rebounds a game and block 3 shots a game and still get anywhere between 15-25 points a game. For someone who relies mostly on his athleticism, that's pretty damn good.

TampaDude
05-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't quite understand this criticism that he's getting by only on his athleticism. A lot of NBA players rely on athleticism. Until this "career changing injury" or the actual decline in his athleticism actual happens, so what? Yes, he uses his athleticism. It's that athleticism that helps make him dominate as a rebounder and shot blocker and finisher at the rim. "Oh but wait until he's 33 and his athleticism declines." Well shit, seems like he has another 10 years to use that great athleticism then.

It's not like he's too old to develop and improve those skills. And, in the meantime, he's still going to pull down 15 rebounds a game and block 3 shots a game and still get anywhere between 15-25 points a game. For someone who relies mostly on his athleticism, that's pretty damn good.

^ this

manufan10
05-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I think he needs to just work and develop an inside game. He can do it, and he has time to do it. If he can develop that inside/post up game, Dwight will be even more unstoppable. I see him kind of like Tony Parker. Parker has always had the penetration skills, but teams would just move off of him and let him shoot jumpers. He wasn't very good at it, but he worked at it and now he is better. If Dwight can perfect that hook shot, and add some more post up to his game, then I see him being an even greater basketball players. I'm merely suggesting adding to his game to make him even better. As a whole, he is a good player. He can BECOME a dominant/great player by adding more to his game.

LnGrrrR
05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
yep I saw him average 21, 13 and close to 3 blocks in leading the magic past Boston

next

Against Kendrick Perkins...

Shaq, Duncan and others would've averaged 25/20 against him lol.

Edit: Additionally, do you think he would've got 21/13 if KG was there? No, because he doesn't have a strong post game.

LnGrrrR
05-26-2009, 03:11 PM
my mistake, got mixed up with the series with the Cavs.

Still amazing numbers really.

16 PPG is not amazing, and it's certainly not dominant, unstoppable, or any of the other adjectives you used to describe him.

Lars
05-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Overated if anything.

The_Game
05-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Against Kendrick Perkins...

Shaq, Duncan and others would've averaged 25/20 against him lol.

Edit: Additionally, do you think he would've got 21/13 if KG was there? No, because he doesn't have a strong post game.

yes he would as with nelson around Dwight would of had even more freedom to do what he wanted inside.

Ghazi
05-26-2009, 04:02 PM
I think he's a top 5-6 player.

1. Dirk
2. Lebron
3. Kobe
4. D-Whistle
5. Dwight

Brazil
05-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Against the cavs it was at the end of the third I think : DH on the bench -10 playing +18 with limited minutes ! I don't know if he is underated or overated but we can say he is a great player.

Amaso
05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I think he's a top 5-6 player.

1. Dirk
2. Lebron
3. Kobe
4. D-Whistle
5. Dwight

I mean, I know Dirk's won a ring but you can't put him before Kobe and Lebron.

IronMexican
05-26-2009, 04:13 PM
He was being sarcastic, Amaso.

Top 5? dunno

1. LeBron
2. Kobe
3. Wade
4. Cp3
5. Dirk
6. Duncan
7. KG

Soul
05-26-2009, 04:15 PM
^In the scheme of things he wouldn't be top 5, but he definitely was top 5 last year. Top 3 even.

Ghazi
05-26-2009, 04:15 PM
CP whistle? ugh

HeyIt'sMe
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Perkins is a very good post defender, he gave Yao problems, too. Howard is still extremely young and has plenty of time to develop. People don't remember how raw Hakeem was when he first entered the league and his first few seasons. He didn't develop his great post game until much later in his career, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Howard develops a respectable post game later on in his career.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
16 PPG is not amazing, and it's certainly not dominant, unstoppable, or any of the other adjectives you used to describe him.

Agreed.

I'd really love to see how offensively "dominant" Howard would be if he played with a traditional power forward that doesn't draw a big body 20 ft. away from the rim and open up the paint like Lewis does. Offensively he's nothing more than a pre-microfracture Amare Stoudemire without the jumper Amare has.

HeyIt'sMe
05-26-2009, 04:56 PM
If Howard's "bad" series is 16 PPG, 17 RPG, and 2.8 BPG, than he's in good shape.

Lars
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Probably the 5th best player in the league atm behind Lebron, Wade, Kobe and Paul.

wireonfire
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Perkins? HAHAHAHAHA

Perkins has no post skills at all. You even watch basketball?

Perkins is underrated offensively.

poop
05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Perkins is underrated!!!

dwight gets about the correct level of 'rated' :)

LnGrrrR
05-26-2009, 07:37 PM
If Howard's "bad" series is 16 PPG, 17 RPG, and 2.8 BPG, than he's in good shape.

Yes, "good" would be correct to describe him.

Other playoff averages:

Dirk - 26.8 PPG
Pierce - 21 PPG
D. Howard - 19.9 PPG
Duncan -19.8 PPG
Rondo - 16.9 PPG
Stuckey - 15 PPG

If you're scoring around where Rondo and Stuckey are, then you're not having a great series.

Now, overall in these playoffs, he's scoring decently, to be sure. But nothing like a 'superstar'. Heck, Iguadala, Billups, and Boozer outscored him.

He IS a rebounding freak, averaging nearly two more per game than the next closest, Carlos Boozer. But most people would not call 'rebounding' part of a post game. That would speak more to athletic ability, IMHO.

Again, when he develops a GOOD post game, speak to me about being a superstar. Right now, he might break my Top Ten due to his defense, but his offense could be alot better with some moves in the paint.

dirk4mvp
05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Probably the 5th best player in the league atm behind Lebron, Wade, Kobe and Paul.

lol

Obstructed_View
05-27-2009, 12:33 AM
He was very good in overtime tonight, but he's still not nearly as good as he should be. He puts up great numbers, it's true, and his team is all but in the NBA finals, but anybody that watches him can see that he has no post game, can't handle pressure defense, loses his cool, makes dumb fouls and is completely useless if he's more than 4 feet from the rim.

So I guess I don't know if he's "overrated" or "underrated", but I know damn good and well he's not nearly as good as he could be, despite his gaudy numbers. If he had half the fundamentals that Tim Duncan had by the same age I guess he'd be averaging 30 and 20.

blink
05-27-2009, 12:35 AM
He was very good in overtime tonight, but he's still not nearly as good as he should be. He puts up great numbers, it's true, and his team is all but in the NBA finals, but anybody that watches him can see that he has no post game, can't handle pressure defense, loses his cool, makes dumb fouls and is completely useless if he's more than 4 feet from the rim.

So I guess I don't know if he's "overrated" or "underrated", but I know damn good and well he's not nearly as good as he could be, despite his gaudy numbers. If he had half the fundamentals that Tim Duncan had by the same age I guess he'd be averaging 30 and 20.

what this dude said

Spursfan092120
05-27-2009, 12:37 AM
You don't win the DPOY award and then be called underrated...not possible.

Spursfan092120
05-27-2009, 12:38 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
You put Chris Paul above Tim Duncan?

Jacob1983
05-27-2009, 12:49 AM
He's not underrated. His teammates have stepped up in the playoffs especially in this series. Lewis and Turkoglu have been the best players for the Magic in the ECF this year.

NewJerSpur
05-27-2009, 12:53 AM
He's still not a go to guy (unless given the ball deep in the paint), but I'd take him. He should train with Amare in the offseason to try and develop his offensive game more and actually learn when to give up on certain shots to avoid the dumb goaltends.

tomtom
05-27-2009, 12:58 AM
I dont think he is. If he develop some better post moves instead of his lame ass hook shot he'll be unstoppable. He needs to use his strength more and back down like shaq does and be able to move his feet better

Obstructed_View
05-27-2009, 01:30 AM
He's still not a go to guy (unless given the ball deep in the paint), but I'd take him. He should train with Amare in the offseason to try and develop his offensive game more and actually learn when to give up on certain shots to avoid the dumb goaltends.

And it tells you how much work he has in front of him if Amare can teach him how to develop his offensive game.

NewJerSpur
05-27-2009, 01:34 AM
And it tells you how much work he has in front of him if Amare can teach him how to develop his offensive game.

Still wouldn't mind it if I were a Magic fan. Amare developed a jump, then he developed some range on his jumper, and more of a game facing up to the basket. He's not a true low post threat, but he's evolved from the dunking machine coming out of High School. The reason I mentioned Amare is because they have similar frames.

TDMVPDPOY
05-27-2009, 01:36 AM

amare does have a nice shot at the ft line he seems to keep on scoring them in...now if d12 can extend his range out to their and a few post moves then his game is set....

Obstructed_View
05-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Still wouldn't mind it if I were a Magic fan. Amare developed a jump, then he developed some range on his jumper, and more of a game facing up to the basket. He's not a true low post threat, but he's evolved from the dunking machine coming out of High School. The reason I mentioned Amare is because they have similar frames.

And they're both amazingly athletic. Amare had spin moves and footwork coming right out of high school that Howard still doesn't have, plus Amare was an above average shooter who now has almost legitimate three point range. Amare should teach Howard offense, and Howard should teach Amare defense. Both guys would be runaway 1 and 2 for MVP every year if they did that.

NewJerSpur
05-27-2009, 01:40 AM
And they're both amazingly athletic. Amare had spin moves and footwork coming right out of high school that Howard still doesn't have, plus Amare was an above average shooter who now has almost legitimate three point range. Amare should teach Howard offense, and Howard should teach Amare defense. Both guys would be runaway 1 and 2 for MVP every year if they did that.

:tu

Won't get an argument from me there.

bringbackmario
05-27-2009, 01:47 AM
they need to dump Ewing and get david or even someone like kemp to help teach him offense

wireonfire
05-27-2009, 01:49 AM
They are who they are. Amare has been in the league for 7 years. He will NOT become a defensive force. Howard is not talented on offense. He is just not natural offensively. I don't see him getting much better on offense. Bynum (already much better), Oden will all be better offensively, at least skill-wise.

bringbackmario
05-27-2009, 01:54 AM
They are who they are. Amare has been in the league for 7 years. He will NOT become a defensive force. Howard is not talented on offense. He is just not natural offensively. I don't see him getting much better on offense. Bynum (already much better), Oden will all be better offensively, at least skill-wise.

sorry but i disagree completely, he is already better then bynum and i really doubt Oden will ever be on the court long enough to develop past Howard

IronMexican
05-27-2009, 01:56 AM
He's better than Bynum at everything besides post-up, and FT's.

wireonfire
05-27-2009, 01:59 AM
sorry but i disagree completely, he is already better then bynum and i really doubt Oden will ever be on the court long enough to develop past Howard

Read. I said skill-wise on offense. Bynum has a pretty decent jumper, does Howard have anything like that? Bynum also multiple moves in the post, Howard only has a right hand hook shot. Howard is playing in the east. That definitely helps because most top post players are in the west.

Jury is still out on Oden. From what I saw (in both college and NBA), he is more natural on offense (better feel for the game).

NewJerSpur
05-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Dwight shows flashes of offensive potential (spin moves facing up, etc.)....his standup hookshot isn't so bad, but the sweeping hook needs to go; he can still develop a decent jumper.

If Amare was brought to a team that had more of a defensive culture I think he could possibly buy into it.

bringbackmario
05-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Read. I said skill-wise on offense. Bynum has a pretty decent jumper, does Howard have anything like that? Bynum also multiple moves in the post, Howard only has a right hand hook shot. Howard is playing in the east. That definitely helps because most top post players are in the west.

Jury is still out on Oden. From what I saw (in both college and NBA), he is more natural on offense (better feel for the game).

you may want to call the lakers and let them know that

bringbackmario
05-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Dwight shows flashes of offensive potential (spin moves facing up, etc.)....his standup hookshot isn't so bad, but the sweeping hook needs to go; he can still develop a decent jumper.

If Amare was brought to a team that had more of a defensive culture I think he could possibly buy into it.

agreed he has the tools to do so

Obstructed_View
05-27-2009, 05:10 AM
they need to dump Ewing and get david or even someone like kemp to help teach him offense

No, they need to stop hiring players to coach players and find a coach. Dave Odom could probably do wonders with Howard's post game. Ewing's had two years and Howard has progressed precisely zero.

Ice009
05-27-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm not sure about that. He's very good player, but offensively he is actually worse than I thought. Outside of dunks or getting good position down low for an easy bucket that he can overpower his way to his offensive game is quite bad. Having said that Dwight is still a dominant player. I wonder how good would Dwight be if he wasn't so awesome athletically?

I think the most skilled players in the NBA are guys like Tim and Kobe because they would still be pretty darn good whether they have great athletic ability or not.

spursncowboys
05-27-2009, 08:41 AM

I have never seen him shoot the ball.

sribb43
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM
He has played well but I still think he is overated with the whole superman persona, etc. Impressive, yes, underrated, no.....He has had tremendous help from Pietrus, Lewis, Hedo and Rafer this series

He still has time to develop post moves and hopefully a 10-12 foot jumper