PDA

View Full Version : Russian police find feral girl in Siberia

mrsmaalox
05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Russian police find feral girl in Siberia

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090528/wl_nm/us_russia_child

MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russian police have taken into care a 5-year-old girl who has been shut up in a flat in the company of cats and dogs for her entire life, police said on Wednesday.

The girl, who lived in the Eastern Siberian city of Chita, could not speak Russian and acted like an dog when police took her into care.

"For five years, the girl was 'brought up' by several dogs and cats and had never been outside," a police statement said.

"The unwashed girl was dressed in filthy clothes, had the clear attributes of an animal and jumped at people," it said.

The flat had no heat, water or sewage system.

A police spokeswoman said the girl, known as Natasha, is being monitored by psychologists in an orphanage. Her mother was being questioned but her father has not been found yet.

She appears to be about 2-years-old, though her real age is five, refuses to eat with a spoon and has taken on many of the gestures of the animals with which she lived, police said.

"When carers leave the room, the girl jumps at the door and barks," the police said.

Feral children, the stuff of folklore all over the world, usually exhibit the behavior of the animals with whom they have had closest contact, a condition known as the Mowgli Syndrome after the fictional child from Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book" who was raised by wolves in the jungle.

Such children have usually built strong ties with the animals with whom they lived and find the transition to normal human contact extremely traumatic.

Bukefal
05-28-2009, 09:00 AM
:wow Ive read that today, thats sad. How did she eat and drink is what im wondering? Or was she not alone? did the mother still feed her?

I remember this happened before some years ago with a girl from Ukraine, who was raised by dogs as well, she copied the dogs behaviour in everything.

Summers
05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
So many questions... and yet I fear the answers. Bizarre stuff.

JoeChalupa
05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Unbelievable.

ashbeeigh
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
We spent quite some time on this in my developmental psychology class. It's so interesting. I hope things end up well for her (and everyone working with her).

Bukefal
05-28-2009, 09:11 AM
lMbf8R9BPyg

BacktoBasics
05-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Sit.

Lay down.

Now shake.

Good girl. Now go play with your friends.

Darrin
05-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh My God.

Destro
05-28-2009, 10:35 AM
maybe she is a mutant

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
http://stateoftheline.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/yakovsmirnoff.jpg
In Russia, pets raise you!