PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge: Finals conspiracy theories prove to be as durable as tinfoil

Agloco
05-28-2009, 09:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/05/28/daily.dose/index.html

Finals conspiracy theories prove to be as durable as tinfoil

By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst
Posted May 28 2009 7:36AM

Another year, another run on tinfoil at your local Safeway, Piggly Wiggly or Ralph's.

Every year, every nutbag with a computer and a complete lack of imagination writes some version of the following: David Stern wants the Lakers and (fill in the blank team here) in the Finals. You know the refs are gonna make that happen. The NBA is rigged. It's no better than pro wrestling.

I can't tell you how many people have been on Facebook with some variation of this. Isn't David Stern gonna be mad if Orlando and Denver are in the Finals? David Stern wants Kobe and LeBron in the Finals. David Stern must really be ticked off.

Every year, these podunks say, Stern, an unnamed cabal of referees, executives from ESPN, ABC and Turner, Phil Knight, Craig Sager's tailor -- and, occasionally and just for laughs, Carrot Top -- get together and make sure that the only teams in the Finals are from major-market cities. The theory goes that the NBA, desperate to regain the ratings it had in the Jordan Era, manipulates the Playoffs to ensure its biggest stars play in its biggest series. Because only the NBA is concerned with high ratings for its championship series/game. Bud Selig couldn't care less if Toronto and San Diego are in the World Series. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman loves an Edmonton-Florida Stanley Cup Final. PGA commish Tim Finchem would be delighted if Tiger misses the cut at the Masters.

Now, you know where you're reading this, and you may know what I do for a living. So you can dismiss this as butt-covering by a league apologist who works for one of its television partners, or that I doth protest too much. Can't stop you if your car is already going down that road.

But over 25 or so years in this profession, I like to deal in things that us fancy-pants reporters call "facts." Here are some:

The San Antonio Spurs have won four NBA titles since 1999.

The Spurs are ratings death.

They are ratings death because you all, in the main, are rank hypocrites. More on that later.

The longer a playoff series goes, the more people watch. (You can look this up, or you can trust me. It's true.) So a seven-game series is ratings gold.

In the last 10 Finals series, there have been two 4-0 sweeps (in 2002 and '07), three five-game series ('99, '01 and '04) and four six-game series ('00, '03, '06 and '08). Only one series has gone the full, ratings-exploding seven -- San Antonio's 4-3 victory over Detroit in '05. Which, again, you didn't watch, 'cause the Spurs were in it. If the league is rigging the Finals for maximum viewership, it's doing a lousy job. (By the way, do you know how many times Michael Jordan's Bulls played a seven-game Finals series? Zero. Out of six.)

More facts:

• New York, the largest TV media market in the United States according to a 2004 Nielsen Media ranking, hasn't made the Finals since 1994, and hasn't won a championship in 36 years.

• Los Angeles, No. 2 in that Nielsen study, has lost its last two Finals appearances since its threepeat from 2001-03.

• Chicago, No. 3, didn't make a single Finals from 1966-'91, when Jordan, Scottie Pippen and company reached full maturity. And since The Last Dance in '98, the Bulls haven't been back.

• Philadelphia, fourth, has been to one Finals (2001) since '83.

• Boston, fifth, won the title last season -- its first championship series appearance since '86.

• San Francisco (the Warriors), No. 6, has been in three Finals series since the franchise moved from Philadelphia in '62. None of those appearances has come since '75.

• Dallas, seventh, has made one Finals in the Mavericks' 29-year history.

• Washington, eighth, has not only not made the Finals since '79, but hasn't been to a conference final since '79.

• Detroit, 11th, has been in two Finals since the Pistons' back-to-back titles in '89 and '90.

• And Miami, No. 17, has made one Finals since the franchise's inception in '88.

You would think someone as all-powerful as Stern -- who can, apparantly, control the tides -- would have a better batting average. How is it that a city like Portland (the 23rd-largest TV market) has been in as many Finals over the last 35 years (two) as New York City? How has Indianapolis (number 25) been in the Finals more recently than 'Frisco? Orlando (No. 20) with as many title cuts as Dallas? Salt Lake City's Jazz (ranked 36th) having been to more Finals over the last three decades than D.C.?

Which brings us to media market No. 37: San Antonio, Texas.

The Spurs are everything you say you want in a championship team. They are quiet and non-controversial, to the point of inducing sleep. They have no controversies in their locker room. They play a team game, though they have great one-on-one players like Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. They don't preen or point, they play defense, they listen to their coach -- who is smart and crusty and profane and worldly. They play hard, are almost tattoo-free (Tim Duncan has a panther on his shoulder blade, I think) and their superstar, Duncan, took less money a few years ago so that the team could sign some other guys.

They have been in four Finals in the last 10 years.

Three of those were the lowest-rated of all time, in audience share, overall rating and average viewers.

"If we were in New York," Parker told me a couple of years ago, "they would love us."

So, why didn't you watch?

I'm not sure anyone did a poll, but anecdotally, you hear that the Spurs are (were?) "boring." No stars. No compelling personalities. No buzz.

Well, which is it? Do you want role models, or bad boys? If you can't stand Kobe, why do you keep watching him? And there's no question you do; the Lakers are the league's most popular team. People feel the Forum Blue and Gold. Which is probably why the Commish, for some reason, in the midst of perpetrating his massive fraud upon the public, said a few years ago that the ideal Finals matchup for the league would be "the Lakers vs. the Lakers." Now, I'm guessing he was kidding a little, but still, people remember things like that, which feeds the whole conspiracy beast.

Now, there's no question that Kobe and LeBron in the Finals would be good for business. That's why Nike's doing commercials featuring Kobe and LeBron puppets. It's why that vitamin water company has the whole "24 vs. 23" thing going, and why ESPN and NBA TV showed that special featuring the two of them. They are the two most popular guys in the game. But it's always been that way. The Playoffs are when the shoe companies and other high-end companies roll out the new ads featuring the game's superstars. They did it for Vince Carter; they did it for Tracy McGrady; they'll do it for Ricky Rubio or whoever the next flavor of the month is. Kevin Garnett didn't play a second in the Playoffs, but his new Gatorade spot has been in heavy rotation for weeks.

How, then, do the crazies explain away Orlando's 3-1 series lead over The Chosen One, and the Nuggets giving the Lakers all they can handle?

That's the best part about this nonsense. When it doesn't happen ... it's proof of an even-greater conspiracy!

The league doesn't really want the Cavs to make the Finals, see, 'cause that will cause LeBron to bolt Cleveland in 2010 ... for New York.

Pass the tinfoil.

Send your questions, comments and criticisms to [email protected]. If we pick your e-mail, you'll star in the next Nike ad as your very own puppet! (Well, actually, that's not going to happen. But we will publish your e-mail.)

Muser
05-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Lmao, Parker should get his own NBA.com column.

Fabbs
05-28-2009, 10:13 AM
and of course for there to be fixed games, it has to be EVERY finals EVERY year.

What a stupid article.

antimvp
05-28-2009, 10:16 AM
If you hit your 3 pointers and have the games best PF.....you will beat the system

but the rule is...

big market vs small market

big market vs big market

....but absolutely no

small market vs. small market.

what other small market besides us have won a title lately?

Miami......with Shaq and Wade.(this offsets the rules)

but that is iit.

lefty
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Mentioning the Blazers as the exception is stupid

1. They had one of the most spectacular showmen ever in Clyde Drexler

2. The Blazers were good anyway

Twisted_Dawg
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Aldridge is a tool of the NBA and networks. He does not mention why the same good ole boys refs ( the fixers) show up at all the big games and always seem to be controversial. Nor the fact that several of them are convicted felons (tax evasion) whom also defrauded their employer the NBA. Nor the fact the NBA refuses to have any replay of all calls in the last 2 mintues.

Extra Stout
05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Because all those calls LeBron James gets and Dwight Howard doesn't get are just a long series of flukes. Sure.

Look, they tried doing whatever it took to rig a game once -- that was Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals. It was just too obvious what was happening, and the fans wouldn't tolerate it. So the NBA knows they can only go so far in influencing the outcome, and sometimes it isn't enough to keep the better team from winning.

duncan228
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
...are almost tattoo-free (Tim Duncan has a panther on his shoulder blade, I think)

He thinks wrong. Duncan has a skelejester on his shoulder, Merlin on his chest. (He has a third one that I'm pretty sure is a dragon but the pics I have are too blurry to confirm).

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/tattoo2.jpg

InRareForm
05-28-2009, 10:56 AM
alridge you mad? :lol

Pucho!!!
05-28-2009, 11:36 AM
so let me get this straight Mr. Aldrige, ur basically sayin that the NBA and its partners r doin what they need to to make as much money as possible? How does that prove a conspiracy doesn't exist? Also, come on, Dave, they gotta make sum of the games look believeable otherwise the proof is in the pudding

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I tend to agree with Aldridge on this and certainly don't think there's a conspiracy to officiate games in a manner that benefits large market teams over smaller market teams. There are inherent advantages available to large market teams that make it easier for those teams to be better; and when a league behemoth is a team based in Los Angeles -- a team that has been truly elite for a substantial part of its existence -- the perception of a favoritism for big market teams can be an easy one to reach.

With that said, if Aldridge is going to deal in fact, his "facts" about the New York television market are wrong. The Knicks, as Spurs fans well know, have been to the Finals since 1994, even if only once. And the "New York" television market includes all of northern New Jersey, which means that the market has had a finalist in 1994, 1999, 2002, and 2003.

TFloss32
05-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Because all those calls LeBron James gets and Dwight Howard doesn't get are just a long series of flukes. Sure.

Look, they tried doing whatever it took to rig a game once -- that was Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals. It was just too obvious what was happening, and the fans wouldn't tolerate it. So the NBA knows they can only go so far in influencing the outcome, and sometimes it isn't enough to keep the better team from winning.

Totally agree here. What happened at the end of Game 5 was disgusting. I love how Doug Collins was defending Andersen Varejao when Dwight Howard was clearly fouled with 0.5 left on the clock.

Anyway, Aldridge also fails to mention that during the Spurs' championship years, there were times that they were beating their opponents so badly, the refs had no way of altering the game. Games 3 and 4 in '99 (when the Spurs shut down the LA Forum) and Game 6 of 2003 (when the Spurs blew out the Fakers at Staples by 20+) come to mind. Just an NBA analyst defending the NBA...no big surprise there. It's actually very ironic and funny because he doesn't even realize he adds to the conspiracy by writing an anti-conspiracy article. :lol

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Totally agree here. What happened at the end of Game 5 was disgusting. I love how Doug Collins was defending Andersen Varejao when Dwight Howard was clearly fouled with 0.5 left on the clock.

Having watched that play again and again, I agree that there was a basis to call a foul on Varejao; but I also think that there was a basis to call an offensive foul on Howard, too. Just as Varejao was assing Howard out of the play and grabbing him, it certainly appeared to me that Howard was pushing back and grabbing Varejao too. I can get the no-call in that instance and I actually think the officials got it right by doing nothing.

The more questionable call, to me, was the call before that, which put Lebron on the line. If you want to point to superstar treatment and an effort to give Cleveland every chance to win that game, that's the call you should point to, IMO.

BlackBellamy
05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Every year, these podunks say, Stern, an unnamed cabal of referees, executives from ESPN, ABC and Turner, Phil Knight, Craig Sager's tailor -- and, occasionally and just for laughs, Carrot Top -- get together and make sure that the only teams in the Finals are from major-market cities.

Podunk
\ˈpō-ˌdəŋk\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Podunk, village in Massachusetts or locality in Connecticut
Date:

: a small, unimportant, and isolated town

Me thinks he doesn't know what podunk means. Is he trying to call people small isolated towns? If so, that's pretty strange and obscure smack talk.

Galileo
05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
This article is stupid. The Spurs have a small market, but they are in Texas, the 2nd largest state. So the NBA is failing to market the Spurs in Texas.

More important, the Spurs should be marketed to the high school and college basketball, fans. Players like Tim Duncan, and pretty much the whole team, are role models.

The fact is, college basketball is still as popular, if not more popular, than pro basketball. In many places, high school basketball is more popular than the NBA. There are zillions of basketball fans who watch college basketball, high school basketball, and girls basketball, who do not watch the NBA. These are untapped fans. These fans like teamwork, sportmanship, winning and fundamentals. The NBA should be marketing to parents, coaches, players, and fans in every high school and college in the nation.

The fact is, the Spurs play a style of basketball that can appeal to the fan of college and high school basketball.

In baseball and football, the pros are way more popular than college.

The NBA would be too, if Stern marketed the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Podunk
\ˈpō-ˌdəŋk\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Podunk, village in Massachusetts or locality in Connecticut
Date:

: a small, unimportant, and isolated town

Me thinks he doesn't know what podunk means. Is he trying to call people small isolated towns? If so, that's pretty strange and obscure smack talk.

I think you could reasonably refer to a person who evidenced the sort of thinking that one would stereotype to be associated with a small, unimportant, and isolated town as being a podunk -- like a citizen of podunk.

Galileo
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM
The Spurs won 4 rings DESPITE the conspiracy against them. That's how good Duncan is.

ambchang
05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Sterns' model since becoming commish in 84 was to expand the league into a national, and then global game. He came up with a great cap and revenue sharing system to allow small market teams to remain competitive. Looking at the ebbs and flows of the teams in the last 25 years, he has been largely successful.

There are a few teams that remained consistently excellent (Lakers, Spurs), and some who have remained consistently terrible (Clippers, Bucks, Hawks), but it has been shown that it was due to management more than anything else.

So why in the world would he undermine his efforts in the last 25 years by fixing games? This runs directly contradictory to what he was trying to accomplish.

The integrity of the game has been called in question because of the quality of referees. Do the refs have preferences to which city to ref a game, or whether they are fans of one team over the next? I am sure they do. They also yield under pressure and allow the crowd to influence calls.

If Stern is trying to fix things, why would the Cavs win the LeBron lottery? Wouldn't Washington, GS, or NY be better choices?
Why would the Spurs ever get Robinson AND Duncan? Wouldn't Boston and Philly be better choices in 97, and NJ, Clippers and Bulls be better in 97?
Portland getting Oden? Orlando getting Shaq AND Webber(later swapped for Hardaway?

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2009, 12:24 PM
The Spurs won 4 rings DESPITE the conspiracy against them. That's how good Duncan is.

Try convincing Suns fans that there's a widespread conspiracy AGAINST the Spurs.

In the end, that's the point. Some Spurs fans are convinced that the league has conspired against the Spurs for all these years; some Suns fans are convinced that the league has conspired against the Suns for many years now; for crissakes, Laker Lanny is convinced that the league conspires to put down the Lakers annually.

It's convenient to blame your team's shortcomings on some broad conspiracy. It's not correct, but it is convenient.

For all of the incentives that we fans devise to support a conspiracy, the actual disincentive against such a conspiracy is massive -- it's a complete end to this cash cow. If there's a conspiracy that is as far-reaching as the conspiracy theorists believe, the possibility of keeping everyone shut up about it is incredibly small. And if this conspiracy ever breaks, its the end of the NBA, the destruction of David Stern, and basically a death blow to professional sports in America. There's way too much at stake to risk losing it through conspiracies to manipulate outcomes.

IronMexican
05-28-2009, 12:36 PM
This article is bullshit. Everyone knows the NBA is rigged. How else could the Spurs have 4 titles in the last decade.

ShoogarBear
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
:lol at the people in this thread bashing Aldridge.

If the Spurs were on their way to another Finals, you'd be saying how brilliant it is. Because the Spurs lost in the first round, then the NBA is fixed.

phyzik
05-28-2009, 01:10 PM
While I dont subscribe to the whole "NBA is rigged" conspiracy, its hard to deny the favoritism refs seem to give towards the leagues superstars compared to the "role players".

TFloss32
05-28-2009, 01:32 PM
:lol at the people in this thread bashing Aldridge.

If the Spurs were on their way to another Finals, you'd be saying how brilliant it is. Because the Spurs lost in the first round, then the NBA is fixed.

If the Spurs were on the way to the Finals, this article wouldn't exist. There is not an overwhelmingly good small market team this year, so the NBA feels the need to defend itself. Hence the comment I made about the Spurs being so good when they won their championships. They were beating people so badly, there was no way for the games to be altered by the officials. No matter what you believe, there is undeniable favoritism displayed by the officials to the big market teams and superstars during the playoffs. Doesn't anyone remember how David Stern answered the question about who his dream Finals matchup is? "The Lakers vs. The Lakers." Enough said. And I would NEVER say David Aldridge is brilliant.

Rob123
05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
This guys a moron.

He refers to the lakers as the "blue and gold"

Says the Knicks havent been to a finals since 94...uhm 99?

He also fails to mention that poor management has left most big market teams completely unable to reach the finals, warriors, knicks, 76ers. The refs cant make a bad team nba champions, but they can give an already good team that extra push just to make sure.

Horse
05-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Damn right just watch game 4 orlando-cleveland they tried to screw the magic, bron just sucked too much to make it happen.

ShoogarBear
05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
If the Spurs were on the way to the Finals, this article wouldn't exist. There is not an overwhelmingly good small market team this year, so the NBA feels the need to defend itself. Hence the comment I made about the Spurs being so good when they won their championships. They were beating people so badly, there was no way for the games to be altered by the officials. No matter what you believe, there is undeniable favoritism displayed by the officials to the big market teams and superstars during the playoffs. Doesn't anyone remember how David Stern answered the question about who his dream Finals matchup is? "The Lakers vs. The Lakers." Enough said. And I would NEVER say David Aldridge is brilliant.

:rollin

Let me get this straight.

The Spurs won because they were so good and and beat people so badly, that the combined forces of the NBA, the refs, the media, and Kim Il Jong couldn't bring them down.

The Lakers won in 2000 and 2001, the Pistons won in 2004, and the Celtics won in 2008 because of the refs.

Nope, no tinfoil accoutrements on your body!

(We won't talk about 2002 and 2006.)

samikeyp
05-28-2009, 01:51 PM
This article is bullshit. Everyone knows the NBA is rigged. How else could the Spurs have 4 titles in the last decade.

Your sig excuses you on your comment. :)

manufan10
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Read the Bill Simmons article on the NBA forum or on the ESPN website. He hits the nail on the head better than Aldridge can. Simmons' article actually makes much more sense.

Galileo
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Sterns' model since becoming commish in 84 was to expand the league into a national, and then global game. He came up with a great cap and revenue sharing system to allow small market teams to remain competitive. Looking at the ebbs and flows of the teams in the last 25 years, he has been largely successful.

There are a few teams that remained consistently excellent (Lakers, Spurs), and some who have remained consistently terrible (Clippers, Bucks, Hawks), but it has been shown that it was due to management more than anything else.

So why in the world would he undermine his efforts in the last 25 years by fixing games? This runs directly contradictory to what he was trying to accomplish.

The integrity of the game has been called in question because of the quality of referees. Do the refs have preferences to which city to ref a game, or whether they are fans of one team over the next? I am sure they do. They also yield under pressure and allow the crowd to influence calls.

If Stern is trying to fix things, why would the Cavs win the LeBron lottery? Wouldn't Washington, GS, or NY be better choices?
Why would the Spurs ever get Robinson AND Duncan? Wouldn't Boston and Philly be better choices in 97, and NJ, Clippers and Bulls be better in 97?
Portland getting Oden? Orlando getting Shaq AND Webber(later swapped for Hardaway?

You've been duped by the mass media. Stern does not fix everything, that is impossible and would become obvious to allt he fans. Stern spot-fixes for effect.

His first fix was game 6 of the '84 Finals.

lurker23
05-28-2009, 01:54 PM
While I dont subscribe to the whole "NBA is rigged" conspiracy, its hard to deny the favoritism refs seem to give towards the leagues superstars compared to the "role players".

This more or less describes my viewpoint on the whole thing. I think this was a good article by Aldridge that hits a lot of the high points, that "if the NBA is rigged, they're either doing a very subtle or very poor job of it."

However, there is a definite favoritism by the referees toward league superstars. Kobe gets away with a lot more elbows, charges, etc. than Jordan Farmar does. I don't think you necessarily have to consider this a conspiracy, though. I think it's simply human nature to give the benefit of the doubt to the player you're more familiar with, or who you perceive to have more skill. I think it's a crappy tendency that referees need to suppress at all costs, but it is what it is.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2009, 02:15 PM
:lol

I'll never understand why folks spend money and time following a sport they "know" is fixed.

TFloss32
05-28-2009, 02:29 PM

The Spurs won because they were so good and and beat people so badly, that the combined forces of the NBA, the refs, the media, and Kim Il Jong couldn't bring them down.

The Lakers won in 2000 and 2001, the Pistons won in 2004, and the Celtics won in 2008 because of the refs.

Well, it's Kim Jong-il. And he's a basketball fan? It must have been a Korean investment group that bought a minority stake in the Cavs, not Chinese. Maybe he got LeBron to the line with 0.5 seconds left at the end of Game 4 :stirpot:. Also, the Lakers won in 2000, 2001, AND 2002. Did you not want to talk about 2002 because that Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and Kings was THE most poorly officiated series in recent memory? The Kings still took them to 7. The 2004 Pistons (a badass small market team) further proves my point that if you're blowing out your opponents, there is nothing that a "conspiracy" can do to keep you from winning. I guess Kim Jong-il was too busy with his nuclear missle development in 2004 to alter that series. Also, don't get me started with 2008 (the year of the two shadiest trades in NBA history). That year was knee deep in conspiracy. The refs didn't have to do anything, that Finals was pre-ordained. Boston wouldn't have even sniffed the Playoffs if Garnett wasn't handed to them by Kevin McHale (who conveniently happens to be a former Celtic). How about the Lakers getting Pau Gasol for peanuts? Both teams would still be getting ousted in the first and second rounds if it weren't for those trades. I'm sure all of the paperwork on those trades was examined very closely though. :meeting: <----- David Stern and Co. "Ok, here's the deal..."

You're missing the point that there is no room for mediocrity if you're a small market team, because you won't be getting any help from the media, refs, David Stern or Kim Jong-il. And, yes, the four championship Spurs teams were that good. I love how you completely side stepped my "Lakers vs. Lakers" comment. To not admit that there is just a hint of favoritism in the NBA is a bit ignorant on your part. Plus, the Spurs don't have to be directly involved to talk about conspiracy.

Brutalis
05-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Reply to the topic subject:

Maybe this year you fag ass.

Pucho!!!
05-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Didn't seem too hard for Tim Donaghy to shave points without anyone noticing

ShoogarBear
05-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Well, it's Kim Jong-il. And he's a basketball fan? It must have been a Korean investment group that bought a minority stake in the Cavs, not Chinese. Maybe he got LeBron to the line with 0.5 seconds left at the end of Game 4 :stirpot:. Also, the Lakers won in 2000, 2001, AND 2002. Did you not want to talk about 2002 because that Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and Kings was THE most poorly officiated series in recent memory? The Kings still took them to 7. The 2004 Pistons (a badass small market team) further proves my point that if you're blowing out your opponents, there is nothing that a "conspiracy" can do to keep you from winning. I guess Kim Jong-il was too busy with his nuclear missle development in 2004 to alter that series. Also, don't get me started with 2008 (the year of the two shadiest trades in NBA history). That year was knee deep in conspiracy. The refs didn't have to do anything, that Finals was pre-ordained. Boston wouldn't have even sniffed the Playoffs if Garnett wasn't handed to them by Kevin McHale (who conveniently happens to be a former Celtic). How about the Lakers getting Pau Gasol for peanuts? Both teams would still be getting ousted in the first and second rounds if it weren't for those trades. I'm sure all of the paperwork on those trades was examined very closely though. :meeting: <----- David Stern and Co. "Ok, here's the deal..."

You're missing the point that there is no room for mediocrity if you're a small market team, because you won't be getting any help from the media, refs, David Stern or Kim Jong-il. And, yes, the four championship Spurs teams were that good. I love how you completely side stepped my "Lakers vs. Lakers" comment. To not admit that there is just a hint of favoritism in the NBA is a bit ignorant on your part. Plus, the Spurs don't have to be directly involved to talk about conspiracy.

Yeah, I sidestepped you. Just like I sidestep people who say that the moon landings were faked or that a plane didn't hit the Pentagon. Bad reffing happens all the time, every year.

The bottom line is, for someone to seriously believe that the league is fixed--but only in those years when his favorite team didn't win the title--is beyond pathetic.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find some Reynolds Wrap. It seems somebody has gone out and bought all the stores out.

Sean Cagney
05-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah it's not conspired at all, yet someone fails to mentioning the ref who got caught up betting on games and even threw quite a few with calls I am sure! I am sure he was not alone as well. Yeah it's not rigged! No conspiracy here, turn the other cheek.

The thing is most Suns fans point out that one game in 07 when he reffed! He didn't make most of the bad calls but they point it out as to why they lost! It goes both ways.

Why would they want SA to win though? Some Suns fans call us the Sterns and others do as well, we point it at LA and other big market teams and say they get all the calls! LOL it might not be rigged afterall just some dumb azz refs here and there! Thats the just.

Sean Cagney
05-29-2009, 12:08 AM

Yeah because Stern wanted them there so badly to ruin some ratings! Makes perfect since for money! :sleep:sleep

kace
05-29-2009, 01:49 AM
the theory conspiracy is lame. that doesn't mean some hyped superstars don't have some strange calls sometimes, but that's because of their hyped status, not about a conspiracy.

and you can't argue with the conspiracy theorist. if a hyped star/team wins: they say it proves they're right.

if a humble/small market star/team wins: they did that despite the conspiracy, that's how good they are.

it's just bullshit.

again, that doesn't mean that hyped superstars that you can see in every advertising or articles don't have some friendly calls sometimes.

v2freak
05-29-2009, 02:09 AM
My favorite part of the article is how he, himself points out he is not a credible source on this topic, saving me a long-winded rant.

Sean Cagney
05-29-2009, 03:01 AM
BTW the tinfoil reference made me laugh too, like all the conspiracies which many have came true about the GOVT. later on is not point at all to me! Tinfoil hat people go too far sometimes yet, but to say the GOVT. is not very crooked as it is could mean the NBA and all things geared toward money can be crooked as well? I think they can, we have seen it and always will! Tinfoil my azz, thats just a word to disrcredit conspiracy heads and make them seem crazy, when half the time they are not but mainstream america will not see that.

I hate that tinfoil word alot of times, alot of times conspiracies are 100% true.

Man In Black
05-29-2009, 03:17 AM
This guys a moron.

He refers to the lakers as the "blue and gold"

Says the Knicks havent been to a finals since 94...uhm 99?

He also fails to mention that poor management has left most big market teams completely unable to reach the finals, warriors, knicks, 76ers. The refs cant make a bad team nba champions, but they can give an already good team that extra push just to make sure.

Just to let you know...

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/forum-blue/

TFloss32
05-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I sidestepped you. Just like I sidestep people who say that the moon landings were faked or that a plane didn't hit the Pentagon. Bad reffing happens all the time, every year.

The bottom line is, for someone to seriously believe that the league is fixed--but only in those years when his favorite team didn't win the title--is beyond pathetic.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find some Reynolds Wrap. It seems somebody has gone out and bought all the stores out.

You, once again, didn't address anything that I said, or the very valid points that I discussed which would make anyone believe that the NBA can be shady. But that's ok...and I never said the league was fixed because the Spurs or (insert your favorite team here) didn't win. The Spurs were simply not good enough to win a title this year, or the previous years in which they lost (with the exception of the whole 0.4 scandal). I already said the Spurs don't have to be directly involved to discuss this topic. Like I said in my previous post, I'm not saying there is a flat out, undeniable "conspiracy" revolving around the NBA, it's just that there is no room for mediocrity if you're a small market team. They don't create big revenue or big ratings, therefore why give them any help? Plus, you're not seeing the writing on the wall. You and I both know there is favoritism displayed to the big market teams, and the superstars on those teams (during the Playoffs, regular season, off season). Hence the "Lakers vs. Lakers" comment made by David Stern. It's been fun ShoogarBear...good luck with the shopping! And you can't see the invisible strings attached to Neil Armstrong when he's bouncing on the "moon"? :lol

Spursfan092120
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi....have we met?

http://nbcsportsmedia.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050623/050623_spurs_celebrate_vmed_10pm.widec.jpghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1332/906660711_bed3fd8fa2.jpg?v=0http://en.ce.cn/sports/basketball/200706/15/W020070615495759596830.jpg

z0sa
05-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Thinking there's some league-wide conspiracy is asinine.

Thinking there is a conspiracy whose affect is league wide is absolutely natural, especially when obvious ref sham jobs are called out all the time, "documented" by the casual fans here and there all around the nation in their respective forums. Indeed, it is incredibly unlikely and, to go further, seemingly unprofessional that Stern and other high ranking League officials would not formulate some plans to reward the most popular franchises for realistically keeping the League afloat. The L consistently approves the marketing of individual players and matchups (read: Kobe vs. LeBron). The L consistently shows it does not show favor towards small markets without easily hyped superstars (Joey Crawford is still a ref - had he thrown Kobe out of a game for laughing on the bench, or not called a foul for Fisher as time expires, he'd never ref junior high again). The 'team' game basketball is supposed to personify has been flushed by Stern and Co, because the 'team' game does not make you money. It's obvious in the touch fouls now called to allow one man to get to the basket at will.

GSH
05-30-2009, 04:38 AM

Shoog, I agree with you on most things - but not this one. First of all, there doesn't have to be a conspiracy for bias to exist.

Part of the Celtics re-building plan included tanking games to improve their draft for a couple of seasons. That was widely accepted even before Ryan Gomes' infamous comment to the media. Those two drafts are what allowed the Celtics to acquire Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. It was absolute horse shit, and everyone knew it.

In order for the Gasol trade to work, the Lakers had to "sign and trade" Aaron McKie, sending him to Memphis as part of the deal. In order for that to be legit, the league had to pretend that it believed Memphis really had the intention of letting McKie play for them. The story was that he would be a "player coach" with Memphis. It was absolute horse shit, and everyone knew it.

As for the officiating? The Pistons won in 04 because they deserved it - but they had a much harder time getting past the Pacers and the Nets than they should - in no small part due to the officiating. The year before that, the Pistons got totally screwed by the refs in games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Finals. (Not to mention almost getting Game 6 of the semi-finals taken away from them.)

Last season, the Celtics might not have even made it to the finals, if not for some selective zebra vision. And the same could be said for the Lakers vs. Utah in the Western Conference semis. I'm no big Jazz fan, but I thought the refs totally jobbed them out of an opportunity to advance. In both of those series, one team could do no wrong. That may not point to a conspiracy, but it was sure as hell biased.

I don't even want to talk about the Spurs '06 semi-finals series against the Mavericks. But I will say that as bad as that was, the Dallas vs. Miami finals was probably worse. I'm not saying conspiracy. But bias? Damn betcha.

This year, I'm looking at some of the calls that went against the Rockets and having a hard time watching any more NBA games. I'm sick of watching the Lakers' bigs camp in the paint, and hack guys across the arms when they drive, and no whistles. I'm sick of watching Odom and Bynum "flash out" and belly-bump opposing guards damn near to the mid-court line. (And Varejao/Ilgauskas doing the same thing for Cleveland.)

And why did the league rescind Kobe's 6th technical foul? As rough as that series, and that game had been, they had every reason to T him up for the head butt. You know the answer. It got rescinded because it's Kobe. If that's not bias, what would it take?

Don't just dismiss every comment as conspiracy theory. I'm not saying that there is a wide spread conspiracy. But I don't believe that all the players and teams are being measured by the same yardstick. That's bias. And sometimes it only takes a teeny bit of that to tip a game or a series - intentional or not.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-30-2009, 04:47 AM
Great post GSH, totally agree.

SA210
05-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Didn't seem too hard for Tim Donaghy to shave points without anyone noticing

TJastal
05-30-2009, 06:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlByVWEEXE8&feature=related

If you watch that video and still believe the NBA officiating isn't rigged to benefit certain teams, you need to shove a nice sharp stick up your ass and do a cannonball onto a cement slab.

Thomas82
05-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Amen to that!!!

Gervin44Silas13
05-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Stern is a little *** fuck weasel

Thomas82
05-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Shoog, I agree with you on most things - but not this one. First of all, there doesn't have to be a conspiracy for bias to exist.

Part of the Celtics re-building plan included tanking games to improve their draft for a couple of seasons. That was widely accepted even before Ryan Gomes' infamous comment to the media. Those two drafts are what allowed the Celtics to acquire Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. It was absolute horse shit, and everyone knew it.

In order for the Gasol trade to work, the Lakers had to "sign and trade" Aaron McKie, sending him to Memphis as part of the deal. In order for that to be legit, the league had to pretend that it believed Memphis really had the intention of letting McKie play for them. The story was that he would be a "player coach" with Memphis. It was absolute horse shit, and everyone knew it.

As for the officiating? The Pistons won in 04 because they deserved it - but they had a much harder time getting past the Pacers and the Nets than they should - in no small part due to the officiating. The year before that, the Pistons got totally screwed by the refs in games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Finals. (Not to mention almost getting Game 6 of the semi-finals taken away from them.)

Last season, the Celtics might not have even made it to the finals, if not for some selective zebra vision. And the same could be said for the Lakers vs. Utah in the Western Conference semis. I'm no big Jazz fan, but I thought the refs totally jobbed them out of an opportunity to advance. In both of those series, one team could do no wrong. That may not point to a conspiracy, but it was sure as hell biased.

I don't even want to talk about the Spurs '06 semi-finals series against the Mavericks. But I will say that as bad as that was, the Dallas vs. Miami finals was probably worse. I'm not saying conspiracy. But bias? Damn betcha.

This year, I'm looking at some of the calls that went against the Rockets and having a hard time watching any more NBA games. I'm sick of watching the Lakers' bigs camp in the paint, and hack guys across the arms when they drive, and no whistles. I'm sick of watching Odom and Bynum "flash out" and belly-bump opposing guards damn near to the mid-court line. (And Varejao/Ilgauskas doing the same thing for Cleveland.)

And why did the league rescind Kobe's 6th technical foul? As rough as that series, and that game had been, they had every reason to T him up for the head butt. You know the answer. It got rescinded because it's Kobe. If that's not bias, what would it take?

Don't just dismiss every comment as conspiracy theory. I'm not saying that there is a wide spread conspiracy. But I don't believe that all the players and teams are being measured by the same yardstick. That's bias. And sometimes it only takes a teeny bit of that to tip a game or a series - intentional or not.

+1
You hit the nail on the head.

Dramon
05-30-2009, 01:50 PM
The reason that the Magic are up 3-1 and the Spurs have 4 championships are the same. They're hard teams to rig against because of their 3-pt shooting in clutch moments. When the team you're trying to rig against is raining down 3's there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not trying to detract from the Magic or the Spurs, but just pointing out that those types of teams are the hardest to rig against. The Spurs have come closer to falling prey to Stern every playoff series but has been bailed out by someone going on fire from the 3pt line during key games when they've been down. No-calls on Duncan's defender or calling touch fouls to put him in foul trouble can allow him to be shut down and the same can be said for Tony Parker on finishes to the rim, but there's not much you can really do from a referee standpoint to stop Steve Kerr or Robert Horry making it rain from downtown.

antimvp
05-30-2009, 03:06 PM
http://itleaders.com.au/images/bullseye.jpg

antimvp
05-30-2009, 03:07 PM
The reason that the Magic are up 3-1 and the Spurs have 4 championships are the same. They're hard teams to rig against because of their 3-pt shooting in clutch moments. When the team you're trying to rig against is raining down 3's there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not trying to detract from the Magic or the Spurs, but just pointing out that those types of teams are the hardest to rig against. The Spurs have come closer to falling prey to Stern every playoff series but has been bailed out by someone going on fire from the 3pt line during key games when they've been down. No-calls on Duncan's defender or calling touch fouls to put him in foul trouble can allow him to be shut down and the same can be said for Tony Parker on finishes to the rim, but there's not much you can really do from a referee standpoint to stop Steve Kerr or Robert Horry making it rain from downtown.

also

http://itleaders.com.au/images/bullseye.jpg

TFloss32
05-30-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlByVWEEXE8&feature=related

If you watch that video and still believe the NBA officiating isn't rigged to benefit certain teams, you need to shove a nice sharp stick up your ass and do a cannonball onto a cement slab.

Thank you TJastal and GSH for reinforcing my previous posts (especially about the 2002 WCF and the Gasol/Garnett trades) :toast. If the NBA is trying to drive fans away from the idea that there isn't a "conspiracy" or big market/superstar bias, they're not helping themselves out whatsoever.

Gino
05-31-2009, 01:32 AM

LOL...i read the first two sentences and dismissed the rest of this post. I always love when posters like to explain the business models of billion dollar corporations they know nothing about.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-31-2009, 04:00 AM
I find it hard to believe so many people believe in grand conspiracies in the NBA... incompetence, yes, incompetence aplenty, but I'm convinced there is no grand conspiracy in NBA officiating or in the draft lottery.

A much better explanation for some of the terrible crap you see going on is Bill Simmons' article last week about the officiating:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090528&sportCat=nba

I totally agree with Simmons that the officiating is ruining the game, and what a pity that is.