PDA

View Full Version : Ginóbili's Future With Argentina Uncertain

duncan228
05-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Edit: FIBA piece that was the source for this is in post #7.

News: Ginóbili's future with Argentina uncertain (http://basket-spot.blogspot.com/2009/05/news-ginobilis-future-with-argentina.html)
(Notícia: Futuro incerto de Ginóbili na selecção argentina)

Argentinian superstar Manu Ginóbili expressed doubts about his participation with the national next year at the World Championship in Turkey. If Argentina is to qualify through the Americas Championship this year (which will not have the participation of the guard), the 31-year-old is still unsure about joining, as his body is already reflecting the many years of competition both at club and national team level. In the Beijing Olympics last year, Ginóbili got injured in the game semi-final game against the United States and no longer returned for the bronze medal match.

According to the player, a decision, on which the San Antonio Spurs have no special say, is to be taken just next year, when the tournament approaches.

(A superestrela argentina Manu Ginóbili expressou dúvidas relativamente à sua participação no Campeonato do Mundo da Turquia, a disputar no próximo ano. Caso a Argentina se qualifique através do Campeonato das Américas deste ano (que não contará com a presença do base), o jogador de 31 anos ainda não sabe se se juntará à selecção, uma vez que fisicamente já existem sinais dos vários anos de competição ao nível de clubes e da selecção. Nos Jogos Olímpicos de Pequim do ano passado, Ginóbili lesionou-se na meia-final frente aos Estados Unidos, e já não regressou para disputar o jogo de atribuição da medalha de bronze.

De acordo com o jogador, uma decisão, à qual os San Antonio Spurs serão alheios, será tomada apenas no ano que vem, pouco antes do início do torneio.)

lefty
05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Am I the only one to think the Lakers have the best doctors in the NBA?

Let's take a look at some 2008 Olympians:

- Manu : missed tons of games
- Jose Calderon: missed a lot of games
- Yao: injuries here and there
- Gasol: no problemo (jinx jinx jinx)
- Parker: wait, France wasn't there
- Scola, Gasol Junior didn't suffer from injuries though
- Rudy? I'm not sure

Dex
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
:clap

I was fine with Manu trying to defend his Gold Medal, but now I think it's time for him to hang it up with the national team.

His body obviously cannot stand the rigors of playing basketball all year long anymore, and regardless of whether he feels obligated to help Argentina, he's still under contract with the Spurs and needs to keep himself healthy enough to provide the services he's getting paid for.

BlackBellamy
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Jeezuz, finally some good news for Spurs fans involving Manu. Phew! S'been a rough couple of years.

urunobili
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Dirk didn't get Injured during the Olympics... :wakeup

Dex
05-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Dirk didn't get Injured during the Olympics... :wakeup

That's because Dirk camps out at the three-point line and elbow, and is afraid of the paint.

duncan228
05-28-2009, 12:34 PM
From FIBA.com

ARG – Manu leaves door open for Argentina (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30312/arti.html)

BUENOS AIRES (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Manu Ginobili insists that his Argentina national team days aren’t over but admits he's uncertain as to when he might represent the country again.

With everyone in the South American country wondering if Ginobili will play at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey should Argentina qualify, the veteran guard said: "It´s early days to think about the national team.

"What happened in Beijing, I still feel it as though it´s fresh in my mind.”

Ginobili had his Olympic campaign last summer cut short by injury.

He got hurt in Argentina's Semi-Final defeat to the United States and had to look on from the bench as Argentina won their bronze-medal game against Lithuania.

"My body is paying the price of many years going to the national team and each time it´s harder," he said.

"If I want to play for many more years, I need to have awareness and be responsible.

"So I will take it year by year."

Ginobili says when it comes to Argentina, he doesn't expect the Spurs to dig in their heels and say he can't play at the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

"I doubt that I will be forced to leave the national team in order to extend my contract (Spurs)," he said.

"They will ask me to be cautious and to think about the franchise.

"They will say again that I already give a lot for the national team but I have the last word.

"In any case with or without pressure from the Spurs, I still don´t know what I will do. When the time comes, I will decide."

Ginobili had praise for Luis Scola, his Argentina teammate who just finished his second season in the league with the Houston Rockets.

"Luis had a strong campaign," Ginobili said to Clarin.

"He gave everything he had in each game, as he has gotten us accustomed to.

"He gave things to the team that don´t appear in the statistics and that they needed for some time. He got lots of rebounds and scored very important points in key games."

When asked if he could envision himself playing with Scola in Houston, Ginobili said: "Well I would rather bring Scola to San Antonio but if at any time the Spurs don´t want me, Houston would be a good place for me."

As for signing a new deal with San Antonio, Ginobili said: "The conversations regarding a contract extension were cancelled when I got injured.

"Probably we will speak next year when they see me healthy and in good form and playing at my level."

urunobili
05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
When asked if he could envision himself playing with Scola in Houston, Ginobili said: "Well I would rather bring Scola to San Antonio but if at any time the Spurs don´t want me, Houston would be a good place for me."

Cherry and I saw this from another article the other day and try to keep it hidden... :depressed

350slk
05-28-2009, 12:43 PM
time to be smart..manu

benefactor
05-28-2009, 01:38 PM
This year will tell us a lot. He is taking the summer off so he should be ready to go. If he can't stay healthy next season then some tough decisions might need to be made regarding resigning him. I think the Spurs will want to keep him but will most likely ask him to take a pay cut, both to enable them to sign other FA's and the fact that his overall value as a contributor will only go down from there. I'm thinking probably something in the range of 4yrs/25mil. The downside is what was mentioned in the article...the possibility of him walking and going to Houston. We could mass fan suicide on an epic scale if that happened.

ducks
05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Cherry and I saw this from another article the other day and try to keep it hidden... :depressed

ming for manu?
both injury prone

lefty
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah you are....

Coincidence is all it is. It's called playing pro ball since he was a teen. Eventually your body will have some nicks and bruises and even injuries. He'll overcome it in 09-10 and be an All-Star.

Also, the style of basketball played is a key factor.

Manu is reckless.

Gasol jsut has to back down some scrubs on a regular basis.

Bukefal
05-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Trade the guyyyyy :lol :downspin:

:toast

E20
05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
lol Manu in Houston.

ducks
05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I thought his future with the spurs is uncertain to ..................

MaNuMaNiAc
05-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I thought his future with the spurs is uncertain to ..................

no, that was just a dream of yours bitch. Wake up and smell reality

ducks
05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
no, that was just a dream of yours bitch. Wake up and smell reality

I am in reality
no title due to him again 3 year in a row:bang:bang:bang:bang

spurs need to not barrell their head in the sand and get a player as close to = value to him that will be able to play in the playoffs

or can they just sit manu tell 3 weeks before the playoffs and then start playing him so he can play in playofffs without being injured

MaNuMaNiAc
05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
For the record, I think Manu has done more than enough for our national team. Retire already, and focus on winning another NBA championship.

ducks
05-28-2009, 04:18 PM
for the record, i think manu has done more than enough for our national team. Retire already, and focus on winning another nba championship.

you think

Bukefal
05-28-2009, 04:25 PM
http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0710/campus.cheer.oregon/images/IMG_9683.jpg

exstatic
05-28-2009, 09:31 PM
As for signing a new deal with San Antonio, Ginobili said: "The conversations regarding a contract extension were cancelled when I got injured.

"Probably we will speak next year when they see me healthy and in good form and playing at my level."

I think the Spurs aren't going to sign him to anything until he says he's ABSOLUTELY NOT playing for ARG in 2010 or he comes back healthy afterwards.

raspsa
05-28-2009, 11:58 PM
I think Manu sees the handwriting on the wall. His body has a lot of miles on it. He knows its a business. I also think Manu will reciprocate Pop's support for him in the past and will retire from the NT. He knows he can't squander what few good years he has left if he is to play at a high level.

Biernutz
05-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I love to watch Manu play but the last 2 years he has been out for us in the playoffs when we need him. If he wants to play again in the off season and not to rest his worn out body. I say go ahead Manu! I will still love to watch you play every time you come to the ATT with your new team --the Memphis Grizzles.

MrFundamental
05-29-2009, 10:18 AM
time to be smart..manu
Yep, save it for 2012.

mytespurs
05-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Considering how his year went, I think his stint with the national team may be over..............

chasky
06-01-2009, 02:56 AM
I love to watch Manu play but the last 2 years he has been out for us in the playoffs when we need him. If he wants to play again in the off season and not to rest his worn out body. I say go ahead Manu! I will still love to watch you play every time you come to the ATT with your new team --the Memphis Grizzles.

And The Memphis Grizzlies Will Kick the spurs asses.

Biernutz
06-01-2009, 06:05 PM

You wish!!!

EricB
06-01-2009, 06:21 PM

I see the COM would be excited about the possibility already.

Bukefal
06-01-2009, 07:09 PM

:lol

chasky
06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
If The Worse Dallas in last ten years kick our ass, why Memphis + Manu Don't?