PDA

View Full Version : School's out!!

ploto
05-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Today is my kid's last day of school for this year. Unlike lots of other parents, I love the summer and wish it was longer.
hWABJzHrGww

desflood
05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
As do I. It sucks having to drag five people out of bed at 0630, before God is even awake.

By the way, my son is a big Alice Cooper fan (at 7!) because of that Muppet Show appearance.

JoeChalupa
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
My kids go until end of next week.

mrsmaalox
05-28-2009, 11:29 AM
My kids go until next week also. I love summer break with them. When they were younger we did so many cool things. Now that they are teen/tweens I force them to save every Friday for me! :lol

Bender
05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm not looking forward to it. My kid wastes his life on the internet... Yeah, it's my fault too, but I try to get him interested in other hobbies, but not much luck so far.

At least he does really good in school. A's & B's only. Taks "commended performance" every year. For next year he got accepted to a magnet school (a gifted/talented thing, where there is more hands-on learning on computers and such)...

Dex
05-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm not looking forward to it. My kid wastes his life on the internet... Yeah, it's my fault too, but I try to get him interested in other hobbies, but not much luck so far.

At least he does really good in school. A's & B's only. Taks "commended performance" every year. For next year he got accepted to a magnet school (a gifted/talented thing, where there is more hands-on learning on computers and such)...

A lot of kids spend too much time in front of the computer. Lord knows I did.

Before that, it was video games.

Before that, it was television.

Before that, it was....ball in a cup?

Either way, he could be begging you to taxi him around all the time, or out getting into worse mischief. More than likely just a phase he'll grow out of, but computers are getting more and more integrated into the casual lifestyle of youth these days.

The irony of discussing this on an internet forum is FTW.

SpursStalker
05-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Schools been out and starts again on the 8th ...

:lol

ashbeeigh
05-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Yah for summer!

When I was a tween (before tween was the word) I was that geeky kid that sat in front of a computer all summer and occasionally went outside (I mean I wasn't pasty white or anything..I went out..but I liked the computer). Being geeky totally helped me land the job I have now and helps with other things now...however...

Now, here I am with a job that would be nothing without the internet. I totally savor my days off when I can be away from a computer. I wish I had a summer break!

Ditty
05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
i go to summer school on june 8 sucks

then when i get out i only have 10 days of summer

sucks o well be close to my degree :)

Frenzy
05-28-2009, 12:42 PM
argh....heat...

phyzik
05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I love when schools out. No more having to drive 20mph when I pass one.

ManuTP9
05-28-2009, 12:53 PM
i get out june 21st

Bender
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
A lot of kids spend too much time in front of the computer. Lord knows I did.
I give him the speech where I say "when I was a kid, there wasn't any internet, or VCRs or videos, or video games.", but it doesn't work.

Dex
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
I give him the speech where I say "when I was a kid, there wasn't any internet, or VCRs or videos, or video games.", but it doesn't work.

:lol I know. Fathom a world where you actually had to go out and play and use your imagination.

I do worry if all of this media overload will have negative repercussions on kids creativity and imagination. At the same time, like people have mentioned, being computer savvy also opens people up to worlds of possibility and is sure to help with education, so I think it's probably a tradeoff if anything.

I now make a living thanks to AOL and the summer of '95.

exstatic
05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Summer morning rush hour is WONDERFUL. I get into habits of leaving later that i have to break when the kids go back to school.