PDA

View Full Version : Scola Secures His Participation In FIBA Americas Championship

duncan228
05-28-2009, 12:41 PM
ARG - Scola secures his participation in FIBA Americas Championship (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30337/arti.html)

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA Americas Championship) - Houston Rockets and Argentinean national team forward, Luis Scola, talked to ESPN Radio of Rivadavia where he confirmed his participation in the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship.

"I try not to talk a lot about the national team but the reality is that I enjoy playing for the team because it has given my career a lot and I think that the qualification tournaments have to be taken very seriously. There are some who are probably not going like Manu Ginobili, Chapu Nocioni and some others but we always have a chance to qualify. Obviously there will be a generational change because it is natural. It will be painful to see the veterans go," said Scola.

He also talked about his future in the national team: "I want to believe that I will be in the next Olympic qualifier and that everything will be normal and that I can play. It is difficult to plan two of three years ahead of time. I am confirmed to play in this FIBA Americas Championship."

In the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship Scola was selected as the MVP with an average of 19.5 points and 7.5 rebounds leading Argentina to a Silver medal and a spot in the 2008 Olympics where they won Bronze.

The NBA star also talked about some Argentineans that could play in the NBA.

"There are many Argentineans that can play in the NBA. Pablo Prigioni and Carlos Delfino are two of them but they have their contracts and they have to analyze that. I want to sign a multiyear deal and stay in Houston. I have to see what the front office thinks."

urunobili
05-28-2009, 12:47 PM
This is actually an upset... Everybody thinks that ARG has enough Talent to qualify without a single NBA player and i agree on that... with Scola is almost not fair for the other teams... I hope they take some of the U-18 Generation that should be the next one to keep ARG under the radar in Basketball...

I also think this will cement Scola in the FIBA HOF... o

Double-Up
05-28-2009, 12:47 PM
ARG - Scola secures his participation in FIBA Americas Championship (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30337/arti.html)

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA Americas Championship) - Houston Rockets and Argentinean national team forward, Luis Scola, talked to ESPN Radio of Rivadavia where he confirmed his participation in the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship.

"I try not to talk a lot about the national team but the reality is that I enjoy playing for the team because it has given my career a lot and I think that the qualification tournaments have to be taken very seriously. There are some who are probably not going like Manu Ginobili, Chapu Nocioni and some others but we always have a chance to qualify. Obviously there will be a generational change because it is natural. It will be painful to see the veterans go," said Scola.

He also talked about his future in the national team: "I want to believe that I will be in the next Olympic qualifier and that everything will be normal and that I can play. It is difficult to plan two of three years ahead of time. I am confirmed to play in this FIBA Americas Championship."

In the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship Scola was selected as the MVP with an average of 19.5 points and 7.5 rebounds leading Argentina to a Silver medal and a spot in the 2008 Olympics where they won Bronze.

"There are many Argentineans that can play in the NBA. Pablo Prigioni and Carlos Delfino are two of them but they have their contracts and they have to analyze that. I want to sign a multiyear deal and stay in Houston. I have to see what the front office thinks."

He's an NBA star now, eh? Anyways wish him the best.

350slk
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
any chance to come to san antonio?

Lars
05-28-2009, 01:04 PM

:downspin::downspin::downspin:

Trainwreck2100
05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
don't roll an ankle

endrity
05-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Can someone give me an update of the newer Argentine players coming through? Right now the only country who is producing NBA talent seems to be Spain, and they are the only ones who can think of beating the US in Turkey next summer. Even the once-hot beds of basketball, former Soviet Union and Yugoslavia aren't producing much lately.

Indazone
05-28-2009, 04:25 PM
What happened to all those great Russian players? Was it the collapse of the Soviet Union and their sports machine? I thought Russia still had a lot of good athletes.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Can someone give me an update of the newer Argentine players coming through? Right now the only country who is producing NBA talent seems to be Spain, and they are the only ones who can think of beating the US in Turkey next summer. Even the once-hot beds of basketball, former Soviet Union and Yugoslavia aren't producing much lately.

BS as usual from US fans. Serbia alone has >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>talent than Spain.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-28-2009, 04:47 PM
What happened to all those great Russian players? Was it the collapse of the Soviet Union and their sports machine? I thought Russia still had a lot of good athletes.

Almost all of the great Russian players were not Russian. They were from Lithuania.

endrity
05-28-2009, 07:13 PM
BS as usual from US fans. Serbia alone has >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>talent than Spain.

Actually I am not American, I was born in Europe and currently live in London and I follow basketball on both sides of the Atlantic. While the game in Serbia (as well as Croatia) is probably more popular in general than in Spain (where not only is football absolute king, but also a sport like cycling is very popular in particular regions), it has been years since a good Serb NBA prospect broke through. From the established Euroleague players I would have a hard time seeing any of the current Serbs make an impact in the NBA.

After their golden generation of mid 90s-early 2000s they haven't produced any great players anymore. I might be wrong, but if I am tell me a name. After all there is a reason that after their WC of 2002 they have completely fallen of the map in any international competition. What has been their best placement since then? 6th????

Fact is that for a couple of years there haven't been any great imports to the US. The heydays of the early 2000s haven't really continued. All the international All-Stars are from early in the decade, and from the newer ones I can see very few making that jump. I think Calderon has a great shot if the raptors are better next year, so does Bargnani who had a great second half of the season. The others are maybe Nene and Biedrins, but they are long shots.

And yes, sorry to offend your Greek pride, if the US assembles a team anywhere close to the level of 2008 only Spain has a real shot at them. Argentina is getting too old, Brazil has a lot of holes at the guard positions, the Greeks are simply ovewhelmed athletically, the Lithuanians and Russians don't have enough talent.

endrity
05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Almost all of the great Russian players were not Russian. They were from Lithuania.

Exactly, that is why Russia is the current Euro champ after beating Spain in their own building.

Dude, I know European basketball, stop acting like you are the only one who knows anything around here.

Yes Lithuania was and still is a great hotbed of basketball, but there were many good Russian players in the past and present.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Actually I am not American, I was born in Europe and currently live in London and I follow basketball on both sides of the Atlantic. While the game in Serbia (as well as Croatia) is probably more popular in general than in Spain (where not only is football absolute king, but also a sport like cycling is very popular in particular regions), it has been years since a good Serb NBA prospect broke through. From the established Euroleague players I would have a hard time seeing any of the current Serbs make an impact in the NBA.

After their golden generation of mid 90s-early 2000s they haven't produced any great players anymore. I might be wrong, but if I am tell me a name. After all there is a reason that after their WC of 2002 they have completely fallen of the map in any international competition. What has been their best placement since then? 6th????

Fact is that for a couple of years there haven't been any great imports to the US. The heydays of the early 2000s haven't really continued. All the international All-Stars are from early in the decade, and from the newer ones I can see very few making that jump. I think Calderon has a great shot if the raptors are better next year, so does Bargnani who had a great second half of the season. The others are maybe Nene and Biedrins, but they are long shots.

And yes, sorry to offend your Greek pride, if the US assembles a team anywhere close to the level of 2008 only Spain has a real shot at them. Argentina is getting too old, Brazil has a lot of holes at the guard positions, the Greeks are simply ovewhelmed athletically, the Lithuanians and Russians don't have enough talent.

I guarantee Greece will beat Spain at Eurobasket. And Greece next generation is far better than Spain's.

endrity
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I guarantee Greece will beat Spain at Eurobasket. And Greece next generation is far better than Spain's.

You have been whooped by Spain the last two competitions. My god, they beat you by over 20pts in the 2006 final without Gasol. And please tell me a young Greek who is anywhere close to Marc Gasol, Rudy.. and i am not even gonna mention Rubio, the boy is a freak of the game.

ginobili's bald spot
05-29-2009, 01:33 PM

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Exactly, that is why Russia is the current Euro champ after beating Spain in their own building.

Dude, I know European basketball, stop acting like you are the only one who knows anything around here.

Yes Lithuania was and still is a great hotbed of basketball, but there were many good Russian players in the past and present.

Russia is not even a strong European team. STOP PRETENDING you know ANYTHING about European basketball.

endrity
05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I am sorry, can you please remind me who is the reigning European champion?

Since you are at it, can you also tell me who the most succesful European club of the last few years is, you know, the one who has been to Euroleague final four six straight times?

Russia has a great tradition of basketball, just like every other Eastern Europen country they went through a difficult period in the 90s with declining infrastructure, and less money incentives, but basketball is making a huge comeback in the country.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 02:04 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Greece's next generation is WAY better than Spain's is.

Nikos Pappas
Dimitris Verginis
Charalampos Giannopoulos
Georgios Bogris
Kostas Papanikolau
Vladimir Jankovic
Kostas Sloukas
Pat Calathes
Nick Calathes
Kostas Koufos
Loukas Mavrokefalidis
Kostas Vasiliadis
Ioannis Karathanasis
Sofoklis Schortsanitis
Georgios Printezis
Ian Vougioukas
Evangelos Sakellariou
Alexandros Sigkounas
Nikos Zisis
Vassilis Spanoulis
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos
Stratos Perperoglou
Ioannis Bourousis

That will be the next generation players of Greece. It is way way WAY better than Spain's next generation.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
I am sorry, can you please remind me who is the reigning European champion?

Since you are at it, can you also tell me who the most succesful European club of the last few years is, you know, the one who has been to Euroleague final four six straight times?

Russia has a great tradition of basketball, just like every other Eastern Europen country they went through a difficult period in the 90s with declining infrastructure, and less money incentives, but basketball is making a huge comeback in the country.

You are even worst than Mountainballer and Bruno. Unbelievable.

Sabonis = Lithuanian
Marčiulionis = Lithuanian
Valters = Latvian
Kurtinaitis = Lithuanian
Sokk = Estonian
Volkov = Ukrainian

Almost all of their good players were NOT Russian.

endrity
05-29-2009, 02:09 PM
I am an idiot, but answer my question please. It is only fair.

And none of the young greek players you have mentioned are better than M.Gasol, Rudy, Rubio. You might have more depth, maybe, but top shelf talent is still in Spain. Sorry, no shame in admitting that.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 02:10 PM

And none of the young greek players you have mentioned are better than M.Gasol, Rudy, Rubio. You might have more depth, maybe, but top shelf talent is still in Spain. Sorry, no shame in admitting that.

Greece next generation will crush Spain. You know NOTHING about European basketball NOTHING. Serbia and Greece next generation is FAR better than Spain's.

And you listed current young Spain generation anyway.

So then I can add all Greek players of current generation that are not even to prime yet also. Even the old generation Greek team was not close to as good as the up coming ones will be.

Nikos Zisis
Vassilis Spanoulis
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos
Stratos Perperoglou
Ioannis Bourousis

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Top shelf? Rudy??? M. Gasol???

:lmao:lmao:lmao

endrity
05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Again, W H Y?????

Yelling out loud, doesn't make you more right. you have to give me an example, a fact, something. As I have said, Serbia has fallen of the map completely after 2002, and Greece has been whopped badly by Spain lately. If anything Italy is in a more promising position in the short-medium term with Belli-Gallinari-Bargnani-Hackett.

Plus you know how Rubio made his mark right? In the U15 Euro final he led Spain over Russia (there they are again) with a performance for the ages, something like 51 pts, 20 rebs, 15 assists. Please tell me one Greek or Serbian young player who comes close to that. Again it's no shame, Rubio is an extra-terrestrial, but he by himself makes the Spanish new generation better.

endrity
05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Top shelf? Rudy??? M. Gasol???

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Again, who does Greece have that are close to their level? Did anyone from Greece play Howard as well as Gasol did in the Olympics? Does Greece have anyone as athletic as Rudy?

endrity
05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Greece next generation will crush Spain. You know NOTHING about European basketball NOTHING. Serbia and Greece next generation is FAR better than Spain's.

And you listed current young Spain generation anyway.

So then I can add all Greek players of current generation that are not even to prime yet also. Even the old generation Greek team was not close to as good as the up coming ones will be.

Nikos Zisis
Vassilis Spanoulis
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos
Stratos Perperoglou
Ioannis Bourousis

Zisis is not new, he's been around for a while. He is average. Spanoulis is what he is, a good Euro player, who could not cut it in the best league in the world, who runs hot and cold with his shooting. The other one worth mentioning is Bourousis, who is good technically, but not a great athlete at all, and also a bit undersized compared to a typical NBA All-Star. His absolute ceiling is a bigger version of Scola, though I think Scola's IQ is much higher.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Again, W H Y?????

Yelling out loud, doesn't make you more right. you have to give me an example, a fact, something. As I have said, Serbia has fallen of the map completely after 2002, and Greece has been whopped badly by Spain lately. If anything Italy is in a more promising position in the short-medium term with Belli-Gallinari-Bargnani-Hackett.

Plus you know how Rubio made his mark right? In the U15 Euro final he led Spain over Russia (there they are again) with a performance for the ages, something like 51 pts, 20 rebs, 15 assists. Please tell me one Greek or Serbian young player who comes close to that. Again it's no shame, Rubio is an extra-terrestrial, but he by himself makes the Spanish new generation better.

All you know is past tournaments or NBA European players. Spain's next generation is nowhere close to that of Greece.

You say

M Gasol
Rudy
Rubio

I can add

Claver
Rodriguez
Lull

and them

So all you know is some players in NBA or you heard about in draftexpress = no better than any American NBA fan knows. Greece has a future team that would crush that Spain group.

Spanoulis
Pappas
Bourousis
Sloukas
Koufos
N Calathes
Vasilopoulos
Perperoglou
Zisis
Printezis
Papanikolau
Loukas Mavrokefalidis

I do not even mention players like Jankovic and Bogris who are in the best in the whole generation of Europe.

Spain

M Gasol
Rudy
Rubio
Rogriguez
Claver
Lull
Sonseca
Vazquez
Hernandez
Rey
Ribas

It is even hard to think of 12 next generation players that should even be in the level of their a team. Unless Rubio = Jordan Greece's future team is much much better.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Again, who does Greece have that are close to their level? Did anyone from Greece play Howard as well as Gasol did in the Olympics? Does Greece have anyone as athletic as Rudy?

Please do not make me laugh.

Bourousis > M Gasol
Spanoulis > Rudy

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Zisis is not new, he's been around for a while. He is average. Spanoulis is what he is, a good Euro player, who could not cut it in the best league in the world, who runs hot and cold with his shooting. The other one worth mentioning is Bourousis, who is good technically, but not a great athlete at all, and also a bit undersized compared to a typical NBA All-Star. His absolute ceiling is a bigger version of Scola, though I think Scola's IQ is much higher.

NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA

"I am European I assure you I know about European game"

Stop already. Just stop.

Zisis is not "average". In CSKA with Papaloukas, Holden, Planinic there is only about 20 minutes for him. he is not average by any means. Rubio would barely even play on a team like CSKA. Try to be serious.

Zisis was the BEST player in all of Europe in his generation. He was consider the best 1983 born player in all Europe from ages 16-22.

He was consider the best player in the whole Italian league when he played in Benetton. You are telling me the best player in his generation in Europe and he was the best player in Italian league is "average"?:lmao

Sure he is not as good as Rubio or Marc Gasol. Probably not Fernandez either but he is a VERY good player. Far from average. He is one of the smartest point guard in the world. He is THE steadiest point guard in the world. He is one of the best and most clutch shooters you will find anywhere.

endrity
05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
none of the Greek players are close to the top of the Spanish players. Greece might have more depth, I admit that, but top level talent is still on the side of the Spain. You still can't mention one of the young Greeks who are close to the level of the top Spanish players.

Spanoulis is probably the best of the group, and most unbiased observers would say that Rudy has a much brigher future ahead of him. He is more athletic, bigger, better shooter, younger.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try to have a debate with you.

endrity
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Please do not make me laugh.

Bourousis > M Gasol
Spanoulis > Rudy

That's about as biased as someone can be.

Marc Gasol played the best defense of anyone on Dwight Howard last summer. The Spanish frontcourt oblitarated the Greeks on the boards. Just on what basis do you say Bourousis is better????

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
none of the Greek players are close to the top of the Spanish players. Greece might have more depth, I admit that, but top level talent is still on the side of the Spain. You still can't mention one of the young Greeks who are close to the level of the top Spanish players.

Spanoulis is probably the best of the group, and most unbiased observers would say that Rudy has a much brigher future ahead of him. He is more athletic, bigger, better shooter, younger.

Stop. The first way you fail at European basketball knowledge is when you say Rudy is better than Spanoulis. It is a joke. It is the first way to know the homers, fanboys and ones that know nothing from the actual ones that do.

The ONLY Spanish player that you should EVER put in class of Spanoulis is Pau. Do not even start with ANY other Spanish player. Spanoulis is without even any doubt better than ANY other Spanish player.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
That's about as biased as someone can be.

Marc Gasol played the best defense of anyone on Dwight Howard last summer. The Spanish frontcourt oblitarated the Greeks on the boards. Just on what basis do you say Bourousis is better????

Bourousis has DOMINATED Yao Ming and Scola at the Olympics. WTF is your point?

And name me ONE player Spain has besides Rubio in future generation that can compare to Pappas? Seriously just try. Pappas is maybe one of the 5 best European players in all of history at his age.

Brazil
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

:king see it wasn't difficult, you finally figured out its worthless

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
All of you will see soon enough. In the first place Greece current team at Eurobasket this summer will be back to what it used to be. Giannakis is no longer coach.

Under Giannakis ONLY the very best defensive players had any chance to ever make the team. Many of the best Greek players never even had a chance to make the team because of this.

Also he had favorites he always played like Sofo even if he was 420 pounds like at Olympics he was picked when there was so many players better than him. Always Greek team did not have enough offense. Pelekanos is a super athlete and super defender even by NBA level but he has no offense.

No coach would have him when they already have Vasilopoulos and Diamantidis to defend on wing. But Giannakis would. Leaving out some of the elite Greek wing players just because they are not super at defense.

Also Giannakis made Greece use 24 seconds all the time on shot clock. He always had rules that Spanoulis could not take more than just 10-12 shots. Always holding him to 20-25 points in games because of this. Under the new coach this will all change.

Giannakis would not even take Perperoglou in the team because he is just good in defense and not great. He is the starting SF of the best and biggest club in all of Europe and was not even picked in the team. Just wait and see what Greece does with the new coach.

Artest93
05-29-2009, 07:01 PM
This thread has gone nowhere fast