PDA

View Full Version : Monty Williams on Spurs Staff?

Taco
03-29-2005, 08:30 AM
I swear I keep seeing Monty Williams sitting behind the Spurs Bench.

Is that him?

Does anybody know if he's on the Spurs Staff?

http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/bc/22/a9_1_b.JPG

travis2
03-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Yes, that was mentioned here a while back (don't you pay attention??? :lol)

He's an intern in the front office I believe...

AlamoSpursFan
03-29-2005, 09:26 AM
When he's not doing Park Pontiac commercials...

:lol

manustarting2gd
03-29-2005, 10:48 AM
That's Tim's boy from back in the day, I knew he'd be back in some fashion, he can't hoop worth a lick so Tim got him a job with the Spurs. He was the focker trying to lure Tim to Orlando. He never really did anything in the NBA. That must have been Tim's idea to bring him back here just cause he's got the pull and plus Malik was leavin', Tim needed a friend to chill with.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
I second Travis, although I think he's a coaching intern, too.

travis2
03-29-2005, 11:02 AM
The 04-05 Media Guide has him as a "Basketball Intern" under the Basketball Staff.

manustarting2gd
03-29-2005, 11:03 AM
"Tim's homeboy"

texasqb2
03-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I heard he was in charge of player development or something like that

travis2
03-29-2005, 11:22 AM
That's Tim's boy from back in the day, I knew he'd be back in some fashion, he can't hoop worth a lick so Tim got him a job with the Spurs. He was the focker trying to lure Tim to Orlando. He never really did anything in the NBA. That must have been Tim's idea to bring him back here just cause he's got the pull and plus Malik was leavin', Tim needed a friend to chill with.

Williams has been here all year...well before Malik left.

He wouldn't have had his picture in the MG if he was a recent arrival.

kskonn
03-29-2005, 12:04 PM
yea I also heard that he was part of player devolpment.

Solid D
03-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Travis is accurate.

If someone heard he was part of player development...and setting screens for Manu in shoot-around = part of player development...then yes, he is part of PD. :hat

TheWriter
03-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Actually, I don't believe Tim got his "homeboy" a job.

I remember reading a Express-News article early in the season about how after he retired from basketball, Monty and his wife decided to live in San Antonio. After a while, Pop called him and offered the job. Monty accepted and now he sits behind the players during games. If I'm not mistaken, that was his job while in the NBA. j/k on that last part, lol.

Kori Ellis
03-29-2005, 02:58 PM
He's an intern, but his primary duty is he's assistant to Assistant Coach and Director of Player Development Brett Brown.

So he's an assistant to an assistant coach. :)

manustarting2gd
03-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Williams has been here all year...well before Malik left.

He wouldn't have had his picture in the MG if he was a recent arrival.

Your saying because Tim got him the job before the season means he's legit? lol.. What can Monty Williams bring the Spurs seriously? .. assistant to an assistant. LOL

Malik has been on his way out for the past two season's if you dont recall... Regardless of when he arrived, Monty Williams was never anything special in the N.B.A (hence the comment about him doing the same thing he did when he played- sitting behind the "real players").

ShoogarBear
03-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Isn't Monty Python on the Spurs' staff, too?

Slomo
03-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Isn't Monty Python on the Spurs' staff, too? This guy?
http://www.univie.ac.at/cga/art/silly3.gif

ShoogarBear
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I think he coaches Sean Marks' low post moves.

juncan
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Also heard he coaches LJ

TheWriter
03-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Your saying because Tim got him the job before the season means he's legit? lol.. What can Monty Williams bring the Spurs seriously? .. assistant to an assistant. LOL

Tim didn't hire him. Pop made the first move.

Mark in Austin
03-29-2005, 09:33 PM
It is hard for me to get too excited about a guy who basically whored himself out to Orlando mainly to try to lure Tim there too.

TheWriter
03-29-2005, 09:38 PM
It is hard for me to get too excited about a guy who basically whored himself out to Orlando mainly to try to lure Tim there too.

It's a business, who cares.

If Robert Horry or Karl Malone came to SA just to lure Shaq ore Kobe this past summer, would you resent him?

Mark in Austin
03-29-2005, 09:59 PM
It's a business, who cares.

If Robert Horry or Karl Malone came to SA just to lure Shaq ore Kobe this past summer, would you resent him?

Bad specific examples, because I honestly would not want Shaq, Kobe, or Malone on the Spurs, but in principle I would respond with: no, because he would be working for the Spurs. Being a fan means you don't have to be rational all the time. Monty Williams to me will forever be the guy wispering in Duncan's ear, trying to get him to leave San Antonio. I hold a grudge with Shit like that.

For Orlando, it's a business. For me, as a fan, you better believe it's personal. And I CARE. If you don't, that's cool. But I don't know any other way to be a fan.

TheWriter
03-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Don't even mix business with your personal life.

Those are two different words. When you mix them, you start living in a alternate world.

Mark in Austin
03-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Being a fan is by nature personal for many pepole. Timvp and I (and others) didn't want Malone for personal reasons. The cold-hearted business decision would have been to bring him in. I don't post here for business reasons, I do it for personal ones.

I appreciate the advice, but for me being a Spurs fan is a personal thing. If I were choosing which team to support based on business, it would be the tream with the most affordable tickets combined with consistent success.

Oh, wait. I just described the Spurs anyway. :lol. Good Times.

ata
03-30-2005, 01:13 AM
He's an intern, but his primary duty is he's assistant to Assistant Coach and Director of Player Development Brett Brown.

So he's an assistant to an assistant coach. :)
Does he have an assiatant also?

travis2
03-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Malik has been on his way out for the past two season's if you dont recall... Regardless of when he arrived, Monty Williams was never anything special in the N.B.A (hence the comment about him doing the same thing he did when he played- sitting behind the "real players").

I was merely reacting to your comment about Tim somehow bringing Williams in so he'd have a buddy because of Malik leaving.

In any case, any conjecture that Tim had anything to do with his hiring is pretty lame.