PDA

View Full Version : NBA At The Movies

duncan228
05-29-2009, 12:26 AM
The Chanifesto: NBA at the movies (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/The_Chanifesto_NBA_at_the_movies.html)
By Lorne Chan - Express-News

Casting Call

There isn't much need to catch this year's summer movies, not when all the drama is happening in the NBA playoffs. Who needs the Terminator and Wolverine when Carmelo and Kobe are playing?

Here's how the NBA's remaining playoff teams compare to some of summer's box office blockbusters.

Orlando Magic as ‘Terminator: Salvation'

Back in the early 1990's, there weren't any franchises cooler than these two. Terminator 2: Judgment Day was in theaters while Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway were leading the Magic. Then both had their stars leave to run California — Shaq to the Lakers, Arnold Schwarzenegger to the governor's office.

Now, new action heroes are trying to revive the franchises. Terminator got Batman (The Dark Knight's Christian Bale). Orlando got Superman in Dwight Howard.

Cleveland Cavaliers as ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine'

Can one superhero carry an entire franchise? After the success of the X-Men movies, a Wolverine spin-off was released this summer without much of an ensemble cast. Wolverine succeeded at the box office.

LeBron James seemed to be succeeding until he ran into the Magic.

Denver Nuggets as ‘The Hangover'

The unlikeliest of possible blockbusters, the Nuggets' run has the aura of a ridiculous summer comedy.

Pitching a comedy about the Nuggets' playoffs doesn't even seem that plausible in Hollywood.

A story about a loveable team covered in tattoos that feuded with the WWE and boss Vince McMahon. And there's even a cameo by former MTV VJ Lala Vazquez, Carmelo Anthony's fiancée, when she argued with Mavs fans during their series.

Los Angeles Lakers as ‘Star Trek'

One of the most storied and thriving franchises around, one with a much deeper history than the other blockbusters. “Star Trek” is the 11th feature film in the franchise while the Lakers go for their 10th title since moving to Los Angeles.

This year's versions are a little darker and less campy than previous years, but they're still coming up with thrills.

iggypop123
05-29-2009, 02:23 AM
its only been one day since game 5 its not desperation time for journalists. i cant imagine what will happen with the finals layoff

sa_kid20
05-29-2009, 02:30 AM
its only been one day since game 5 its not desperation time for journalists. i cant imagine what will happen with the finals layoff

:lol i was thinking the same thing.

duncan228
05-29-2009, 02:32 AM
I was hoping SpursTalk would come up with better casting. :)

lefty
05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Today's NBA referess as " Forget Paris "

Billy Crystal's character sumis it up well

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
They've got this all backwards.

Orlando would be Wolverine: Origins. While the movie and team are built around a central figure, the success of the film and team rises and falls with the quality of the supporting cast. When Hedo is playing as well as Liev Schrieber did as Sabretooth, they are a good team. When Rafer Alston sucks as bad as Will.I.Am, they are unwatchable.

The Lakers are Terminator. They aren't bad, but they get a lot of hate thrown at them because they are so different from the previous versions that everyone loved so much.

The Nuggets are Star Trek. Their most recent incarnations were unlikeable and unsuccessful because they were gimmicky at best. This version is deeper, more mature, and seems all the more amazing because of how easy it is to hate the teams from just a season or two ago.

And the Cavs would be the upcoming Transformers movie. Lebron is a huge, kick ass robot. Plus he reminds us of our carefree days as children watching Optimus Prime and Michael Jordan. That's awesome. But Shia Lebouf's overratedness and ability to kill a likeable premise is matched only by Mo Williams.