PDA

View Full Version : E-N: Spurs Get OK For Ice Rink

duncan228
05-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Spurs get OK for ice rink (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_get_OK_for_ice_rink.html)
By Guillermo X. Garcia - Express-News

The San Antonio Spurs on Thursday won preliminary approval for a $4 million taxpayer-funded practice facility at the AT&T Center complex for the Rampage, the professional hockey team they own.

While club officials want to build the 35,400-square-foot steel structure as soon as possible, they agreed not to seek reimbursement from Bexar County for the ice rink before 2013.

The Spurs want to use $10 million, part of $24 million leftover from the 1999 bond issue that financed the AT&T Center's construction, to build the practice ice rink, which they estimate will cost up to $4 million. They have not said what the rest of the money would be used for.

Nor has the team worked out where the new structure would be situated or who would be in charge of the facility.

Before the Spurs can get their agreement ratified by Bexar County Commissioners — which includes a five-year extension, to 2032, on their contract keeping them in San Antonio — they need the approval of the other tenant at the County Community Arenas complex, the San Antonio Livestock and Exposition and the landlord for the complex, which the county owns.

Thursday, the Spurs Sports and Entertainment group, the holding company that owns the Spurs and the Rampage, got its proposal approved by the Community Arenas Board, the landlord of the 175-acre East Side complex that is home to the Spurs and the adjacent Joe Freeman Coliseum.

But while the plan to build was approved, where the building will be situated has not yet been worked out.

The Livestock and Exposition group, which every year operates the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo, is objecting to the site the Spurs favor, east of the basketball stadium's parking lot entrance off AT&T Parkway. It has not identified an alternative.

Also not clear is who would be in charge of the facility.

Spurs Vice President Leo Gomez said his group would like to operate it but share the proposed 550 bleacher-seat facility with local youth and adult ice hockey leagues. Gomez also said the team would make it available for skating special events.

Gomez said he was optimistic that those issues would be worked out.

“The big change for us is that the contract we signed allows us to keep veto power over any future construction plans,” said Dan Puckett, one of the five members of the Community Arenas Board. “That means that nothing will get built without everyone being on the same page.”

The agreement will now go before commissioners next week for their approval.

Gomez said the team has agreed not dip into the $10 million fund for the ice rink's construction until 2013, after the $75 million in venue tax revenue bonds approved by voters last year are issued.

That money is to be used for as yet unidentified fan enhancements and technology improvements at the Spurs home stadium, although the county must sign off on specific projects.

timvp
05-29-2009, 01:46 AM
WTF? $4M for some practice ice for the Rampage? I didn't know anyone actually cared if the Rampage won or lost.

Taxpayer money should be used to bring in a long three or a shotblocking big. When Duncan took less money I don't think he imagined the money going toward freezing some water so some team that nobody knew existed can practice for games nobody cares about.

:smchode:

Ditty
05-29-2009, 02:21 AM
unless the phoenix coyotes are coming to play here for the NHL this is a dumb idea

that would be cool though to have this ring open to the public espically during winter time

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2009, 07:29 AM
http://www.welcomehomesa.com/Images/HightowerHolt.jpg

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2009, 07:31 AM
WTF? $4M for some practice ice for the Rampage? I didn't know anyone actually cared if the Rampage won or lost.

Taxpayer money should be used to bring in a long three or a shotblocking big.

Scola.

Dex
05-29-2009, 08:35 AM
I didn't even realize people still watch hockey...

ploto
05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
I really can not believe their nerve to do this for a $4M ice rink with the economy the way it is for so many people. Guess they figure they have to push for all this stuff while the Spurs are still decent. Must be nice to have taxpayers pay for you to have new buildings all the time.

sam1617
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I really can not believe their nerve to do this for a $4M ice rink with the economy the way it is for so many people. Guess they figure they have to push for all this stuff while the Spurs are still decent. Must be nice to have taxpayers pay for you to have new buildings all the time.

A) Its money that was left over from the 1999 bond issue.
B) If the Spurs want it now, they will pay for it with their own money, and get reimbursed in 2013. I hope to God that our economy is fixed by then.
C) Thats $4 million in new business for companies in San Antonio, not a bad thing in a down economy.

Buddy Holly
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Taxpayer money should be used to bring in a long three or a shotblocking big. When Duncan took less money I don't think he imagined the money going toward freezing some water so some team that nobody knew existed can practice for games nobody cares about.

:smchode:

I take it you're being sarcastic but if not, that money can't be used for players.

lefty
05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Hockey rules !!!!!

Eh !

ploto
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
A) Its money that was left over from the 1999 bond issue.
B) If the Spurs want it now, they will pay for it with their own money, and get reimbursed in 2013. I hope to God that our economy is fixed by then.
C) Thats $4 million in new business for companies in San Antonio, not a bad thing in a down economy.

A) that bond was not passed to build an ice rink
B) let them pay for it themselves without reimbursement
C) better ways to generate business that benefits the entire community and not some rich guys who own sports teams- how about $4m to build sports facilities for underpriviledged youth

sam1617
05-29-2009, 12:56 PM
A) that bond was not passed to build an ice rink
B) let them pay for it themselves without reimbursement
C) better ways to generate business that benefits the entire community and not some rich guys who own sports teams- how about $4m to build sports facilities for underpriviledged youth

1) I agree, however, that money has been used for a lot of things it isn't supposed to.
2) I also agree, however, the precedent has been set numerous times that cities are going to help pay for sports teams buildings. Consider it an investment in bringing SA a higher national profile, and more business.
3) Rich guys pay taxes and spend money in the community, poor people don't so much. I'm not saying that we shouldn't build sports facilities for youth, I'm just saying that from a business point of view, that makes less sense.

PS: I switched to numbers to avoid being boring in my presentation. :downspin:

ploto
05-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Rich guys pay taxes and spend money in the community, poor people don't so much.

So you think only rich people should get fire houses and police substations, too? After all they pay a lot more property tax than poor people do to the city.

duncan228
05-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Proposed facility wouldn't only be used by Rampage (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Proposed_facility_wouldnt_only_be_used_by_Rampage. html)
By John Whisler - Express-News

A day after the Spurs won preliminary approval for a $4 million taxpayer-funded practice facility at the AT&T Center complex, primarily for the Rampage, an official with the organization emphasized the need for the structure goes beyond the minor-league hockey team.

“It will be a mixed-use, public facility,” Spurs Vice President Leo Gomez said Friday. “We hope to hold a variety of events there that will complement all our partners on the property.”

Those events, Gomez said, range from youth hockey and basketball, to parties and receptions before concerts. The facility will also be open to public skating.

“Right now, we can't do any of that” at the AT&T Center, he said.

The Spurs Sports and Entertainment group, the holding company that owns the Spurs, Rampage and Silver Stars, wants to use part of the $24 million left over from the 1999 bond issue that financed construction of the AT&T Center to build the 35,400-square-foot steel structure.

Gomez said the Spurs hope to begin construction soon but that they have agreed not to seek reimbursement from Bexar County before 2013.

Thursday, the Spurs' proposal was approved by the Community Arenas Board, the landlord of the 175-acre East Side complex that is home to the Spurs and the adjacent Joe Freeman Coliseum.

But Gomez said it still must be approved by the Bexar County Commissioners Court and the AT&T Center's other tenant, the San Antonio Livestock Exposition (SALE) — which operates the annual San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo.

The Spurs and the Livestock Exposition have not come to an agreement on the site of the structure.

Gomez said wherever the facility lands, it needs to be a “short walk” from the AT&T Center.

Meanwhile, Rampage coach Greg Ireland was ecstatic over the proposed facility.

He said the team currently leases a rink at the Ice & Golf Center at Northwoods for practice when the AT&T Center is not available but that having their own facility would be a big boost.

“This way, we wouldn't have to be hauling our equipment back and forth,” he said.

Ireland said the facility also would serve as a major tool in promoting the sport to the youth of San Antonio.

Obstructed_View
05-30-2009, 01:04 AM
I lived in SA when the Alamodome was built, and I seem to remember that it included capabilities for an ice rink with what was at the time state of the art facilities. Has there ever been an ice rink in the Alamodome?

meestahmeestah
05-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Has there ever been an ice rink in the Alamodome?

At the time it was the only facility to have 2 Olympic sized ice sheets. My brother went to Dragons games there when the Freeman was booked for the stock show.

ploto
05-30-2009, 04:15 PM
A day after the Spurs won preliminary approval for a $4 million taxpayer-funded practice facility at the AT&T Center complex, primarily for the Rampage, an official with the organization emphasized the need for the structure goes beyond the minor-league hockey team.

“It will be a mixed-use, public facility,” Spurs Vice President Leo Gomez said Friday. “We hope to hold a variety of events there that will complement all our partners on the property.”

Can always count on the story to change when the public is unhappy.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2009, 04:51 AM
At the time it was the only facility to have 2 Olympic sized ice sheets. My brother went to Dragons games there when the Freeman was booked for the stock show.

Yeah, I knew it was supposed to have been really really well appointed. It's good to know that it went to some amount of use.

jn77
05-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Are we even sure the Rampage are going to have an NHL affiliate next year. I thought the Coyotes were in serious trouble and the NHL had taken ownership of the team. I am curious. Would be kinda cool to have an NHL franchise in SA. Bring the coyotes here!!

Marius Titulescu
01-29-2024, 10:35 AM
That's a major achievement!
How is the rink currently holding up?
Is it open for public access?

Russ
01-29-2024, 11:32 AM
Bad sign? Demonstrates further commitment to the AT&T Center property?

Dex
01-29-2024, 11:38 AM
Bad sign? Demonstrates further commitment to the AT&T Center property?

This article is nearly 14 years old and was bumped by what appears to be a bot.

Russ
01-29-2024, 11:44 AM
This article is nearly 14 years old and was bumped by what appears to be a bot.

:lol

Yeah, further investment in that area made absolutely no sense.

Dex
01-29-2024, 01:28 PM
:lol

Yeah, further investment in that area made absolutely no sense.

I actually like AT&T Center itself, but yeah it's embarrassing that it's nestled between a bunch of stock yards (which were never going to give up their property), and arguably some of the worst neighborhoods in San Antonio.

I once made the mistake of trying to find an AirB&B "near the stadium", and I'm pretty sure our neighbors were running a meth lab or something.

Hopefully Wemby Hype can convince ownership to put something back downtown when the contract for AT&T goes up...shit, just level the Alamodome if you need to, it won't be missed.

Bender
01-30-2024, 09:05 AM
I opened this thread and saw duncan228, damn this thread is old. A lot of names bring back memories…