PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Score at Children's Games...

Clandestino
03-29-2005, 10:22 AM
on 760 they were talking about some leagues no longer keeping score for kid's sports leagues... i think that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. what is the point?

I think a kid needs to learn how to be a good loser as well as a good winner...

travis2
03-29-2005, 10:23 AM
on 760 they were talking about some leagues no longer keeping score for kid's sports leagues... i think that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. what is the point?

I think a kid needs to learn how to be a good loser as well as a good winner...

Depends on the age/sport. 5-year-olds playing T-ball don't need to keep score.

Spurminator
03-29-2005, 10:25 AM
This has been going on at the YMCA since I was a kid.

Shelly
03-29-2005, 10:32 AM
My son plays Y basketball. While they don't 'officially' keep score, if you ask the parent that's keeping the stats, they can tell you what the score is and who won the game.

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 10:38 AM
My son is in Alamo Heights Little League, machine pitch (7 & 8 year olds)....and they don't keep score.

They start keeping score in the 9/10 year old division...

No biggie for me....they are still learning the game at this point.

Taco
03-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Are we turning into France?

Useruser666
03-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Not keeping score is for losers. Are the Lakers still keeping score?

spurster
03-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Not keeping score probably has as much or more to do with keeping the parents from going beserk.

Flea
03-29-2005, 11:50 AM
My girls play soccer with AHFSH. They don't keep score at the recreational level (little kids)but once you go competitive or are older you have to keep score.

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Parents fucking scare me. Half of them start foaming from the mouth at a gym or field. They need to hand out fucking valium before these events.

Clandestino
03-29-2005, 11:56 AM
maybe these parents never kept score when they were little and didn't learn to play to be good winners or losers!

teaching kids there are no losers is dumb to me... and why would that group keep stats if they weren't keeping score?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
What do score keepers for these leagues get paid? anything? Cuz if they have to pay the score keeper that might have a little to do with it, even though i think its really stupid, you might as well save the money and just let your kid play with neighborhood kids

3rdCoast
03-29-2005, 12:03 PM
In Little league my team NEVER finished higher than 3rd place, except one season. I know that I do not just speak for myself as my former teammates would agree, that by us losing a lot at the younger levels, only motivated us to work that much harder to have success on the baseball field in high school.

Losing is a part of life and to act like there are no losers makes no sense.

travis2
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
maybe these parents never kept score when they were little and didn't learn to play to be good winners or losers!

teaching kids there are no losers is dumb to me... and why would that group keep stats if they weren't keeping score?

What makes keeping score such an incredible learning experience for 5-year-old T-ball players? Or 4-year-old "herdball" soccer players?

At that age they are there to get exercise and have some fun.

You start getting up around 8/9 or so...then yeah, keeping score has value. They are old enough to be getting fundamentals of the game in question in addition to just being out there having fun.

Useruser666
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
In Little league my team NEVER finished higher than 3rd place, except one season. I know that I do not just speak for myself as my former teammates would agree, that by us losing a lot at the younger levels, only motivated us to work that much harder to have success on the baseball field in high school.

Losing is a part of life and to act like there are no losers makes no sense.

That sounds like loser talk to me! :lol

3rdCoast
03-29-2005, 12:07 PM
We got our asses handed to us in little league all the way up from 7-8 year old division all the way til 13-14 year old division. We worked our asses off and in high school, we had gotten better and were successful.

Clandestino
03-29-2005, 12:26 PM
What makes keeping score such an incredible learning experience for 5-year-old T-ball players? Or 4-year-old "herdball" soccer players?

At that age they are there to get exercise and have some fun.

You start getting up around 8/9 or so...then yeah, keeping score has value. They are old enough to be getting fundamentals of the game in question in addition to just being out there having fun.

It teaches kids that losing and not getting your way is part of life. You can teach your kid from a young age the difference between a good loser and bad loser.. Also, the difference between a good winner and someone who gloats.

travis2
03-29-2005, 12:31 PM
At that age they don't know enough about the game to understand winning and losing.

Yeah, get up to 8 or so and I'm with you 100%.

But 4-5? Even 3 for some sports? Unh-unh...

AlamoSpursFan
03-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Little ASF played in a girls soccer league in Pleasanton that by rule didn't keep score. At least the adults didn't. Those little 6, 7, and 8 year old kids KNOW what the freaking score is, believe me.

The Cheetah girls finished in FIRST PLACE with ONLY ONE LOSS! (Not bad for a no-score league... :lol)

Clandestino
03-29-2005, 12:35 PM
At that age they don't know enough about the game to understand winning and losing.

Yeah, get up to 8 or so and I'm with you 100%.

But 4-5? Even 3 for some sports? Unh-unh...

When I was 5 and first started playing t-ball I remember winning and losing. I knew the difference.

3rdCoast
03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
When I was 5 and first started playing t-ball I remember winning and losing. I knew the difference.

Me too.

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Yes, those kids know EXACTLY who won the game.

After a few years of my children's participation in organized sports, I have discovered that in baseball at least, the younger players are still developing skills to eventually become competitive. If you've ever seen a game of little ones, most of them can hit okay, but they can't catch or throw worth a crap. Do you have any damned idea how freaking long that makes an inning?!?!

:wow :lmao

Clandestino
03-29-2005, 02:54 PM
don't they have time limits on the games?

3rdCoast
03-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Yes, those kids know EXACTLY who won the game.

After a few years of my children's participation in organized sports, I have discovered that in baseball at least, the younger players are still developing skills to eventually become competitive. If you've ever seen a game of little ones, most of them can hit okay, but they can't catch or throw worth a crap. Do you have any damned idea how freaking long that makes an inning?!?!

:wow :lmao

I played baseball for 16 years. I was a 3 year letterman in high school and know exactly what it takes to win. The younger players are obviously still develpoing skills and there is time limits in the games, but, I think if you are going to do something, you should do it right. And keeping score and tracking winning and losing is part of that, I think.

Kori Ellis
03-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I think if you are going to do something, you should do it right. And keeping score and tracking winning and losing is part of that, I think.

I agree. Even when I played softball when I was five years old, they kept score. I think that's how it should be.

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 04:01 PM
don't they have time limits on the games?

Yes, and they are lucky to get through 2 or 3 innings in an hour. :lol

Right now I'm more interested in my kids learning the game and how to be a part of a team. That, and it's really funny hearing them talk smack to each other from the dugouts.

At that age very, very few from what I've seen are really good yet....so if you want to keep score to see which team sucks the LEAST, bring a pencil and paper.

:lol

Of course now that I think about it....this is our first year in AHLL, I guess if they aren't keeping score there won't be any end-of-season tournaments, either?

timvp
03-29-2005, 04:10 PM
I remember crying after losing tee-ball games when I was five. That's how it should be. If you don't learn that losing sucks at an early age, then pretty soon we'll be a country of Hedo Turkoglus.

3rdCoast
03-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Crying after getting my teams asses ripped 18-0 made ME and the rest of my TEAM only work that much HARDER. We improved and I can think of at least 8 players from my team that went on to make All District or All City and two even made All State in high school. Losing sucks, but its part of life.

Shelly
03-29-2005, 04:18 PM
That, and it's really funny hearing them talk smack to each other from the dugouts.

We were at one of my oldest's basketball game a few months ago. The other team was shooting a free throw and it was pretty quiet in the gym until my youngest yelled out, "BRICK!"

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 04:23 PM
My only argument against keeping score at that age is that there are so many rules and nuances to any sport, I'm not entirely sure it's fair to call them losers until they get at least a year or two in to learn the sport. Most teams like YMCA and whatever only practice one hour once a week, they are lucky to even have one practice before their first game. So, someone that age who has never played before is supposed to know everything about the sport in that kind of time frame?

Otherwise I don't really care one way or another....I always keep track in my head what the score is.

It's like someone giving you a pop-quiz on swahilli with no real notice and then calling you stupid for not passing it.

"Ya'll don't know or understand how to play the game, but you're losers anyway."

I've been brainwashed by political correctness and am protective of my kids, too, btw. :nerd

And BTW, it's very unlikely that professional coaches are leading these teams either....10 times out of 10 it's someone's dad (or mom) that may have played a little ball in Jr. High.

And there are no tryouts at the younger ages, either....they don't start that until 9 or 10 and they are required to play everyone.

Useruser666
03-29-2005, 04:37 PM
My only argument against keeping score at that age is that there are so many rules and nuances to any sport, I'm not entirely sure it's fair to call them losers until they get at least a year or two in to learn the sport. Most teams like YMCA and whatever only practice one hour once a week, they are lucky to even have one practice before their first game. So, someone that age who has never played before is supposed to know everything about the sport in that kind of time frame?

Otherwise I don't really care one way or another....I always keep track in my head what the score is.

It's like someone giving you a pop-quiz on swahilli with no real notice and then calling you stupid for not passing it.

"Ya'll don't know or understand how to play the game, but you're losers anyway."

I've been brainwashed by political correctness and am protective of my kids, too, btw. :nerd

And BTW, it's very unlikely that professional coaches are leading these teams either....10 times out of 10 it's someone's dad (or mom) that may have played a little ball in Jr. High.

And there are no tryouts at the younger ages, either....they don't start that until 9 or 10 and they are required to play everyone.

Remember how your daughter's team won that game because of the two technical outs the other team got in the last inning? :lol

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Remember how your daughter's team won that game because of the two technical outs the other team got in the last inning? :lol

One was hitting the tee ... what was the other one?

There was also an out because the runner at first got thrown out and the second base runner didn't know she had to go back...and got TAGGGGGED!

:nerd :oops :lol

Useruser666
03-29-2005, 04:47 PM
The batter was standing in the way of the play at home plate. The ump warned the previous batter, the batter who got thrown out, and the coach before that play.

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
It's only okay to keep score if your kid's team wins. :)

Shelly
03-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Do you and User know each other or something??? :wtf

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Do you and User know each other or something??? :wtf

Either we do, or I'm going to have a hell of a time trying to figure out how all of that confetti got in my sheets.

:wow :wow :lol

Useruser666
03-29-2005, 05:16 PM
I was the umpire.

Spurminator
03-29-2005, 06:16 PM
You learn a lot more from losing as a child than from winning.

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I hate losing. I don't know what kind of leauge I'd want for my kids at first, but if they are anything like me when it comes to competiveness they won't buy into any no score bullshit.

Still though, those fucking parents scare the hell out of me. Rabid fuckers.

Shelly
03-29-2005, 07:28 PM
I was the umpire.

And what did SW dress up as? Hmmmmmmm? :eyebrows

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 08:07 PM

There certainly are some scary mofo parents. :nerd

And I was actually very surprised to see them not keep score on my son's machine-pitch team....they did in CYO coach pitch....and coaches can't pitch. :lol

On a side note, my daughter is in the first year they start kid pitch (softball)...an interesting rule to compensate for the very inexperienced pitchers:

If the count reaches 4 balls, instead of walking the batter has to hit off the tee....so at least there's a chance they might be able to get someone out. :fro

Underhanded pitching is hard. :oops

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-29-2005, 11:47 PM
I remember crying after losing tee-ball games when I was five. That's how it should be. If you don't learn that losing sucks at an early age, then pretty soon we'll be a country of Hedo Turkoglus.

:lmao

I was the same way. I think kids DO need to learn the difference between winning and losing. But I've seen wayyy too many little kid sporting events, however, where the PARENTS are the ones who need to learn about sportsmanship. Ordinary parents can turn into Bobby Knight Jr. at some of these 7 and 8 year old games. Maybe the rule is more to keep these asshole parents in check.

Not keeping score until the kids are 9 or 10 might delay some little boys and girls from learning at too early of an age what a jerk mommy or daddy really is.

SpursWoman
03-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Not keeping score until the kids are 9 or 10 might delay some little boys and girls from learning at too early of an age what a jerk mommy or daddy really is.

BINGO!!! :lmao :lmao :lmao

SequSpur
03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
My daughter played vball at the y over the past year and they don't keep score either. They really don't give a fuck either, because nothing counts.

Last season, the last game they kept score and it was the best play out of both teams and every game was decided by less than 2 points.

Of course the Sequspurrette won. So nothing else matters.

So 2 bits 4 bits 6 bits a dollar, all for the sequs now bendover and holler!

travis2
03-30-2005, 07:55 AM
What age group was your daughter playing in?

My kids played Y v-ball for a few years...helped out every year (assistant coach, line judge)...I even coached one year. Got fed up with the people running the v-ball program, though.

Flea
03-30-2005, 10:07 AM
I hate losing. I don't know what kind of leauge I'd want for my kids at first, but if they are anything like me when it comes to competiveness they won't buy into any no score bullshit.

There is plenty of time to keep score. When you are 5, 6 or 7 it is more important to love playing the game. The reason they don't keep score at these ages is to calm down the crazy parent. The kid just plays to learn and have fun. If a parent is criticizing a child for losing how much longer will that kid want to play?

samikeyp
03-30-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree that keeping score is neccessary because it is an integral part of any sport. That is the object of any sport, you have to score more than the other team or person. I think what is most important is how we react after the outcome. I think its important at an early age to let kids know that just because you lost a game, doesn't make you a loser.

Shelly
03-30-2005, 10:42 AM
I agree that keeping score is neccessary because it is an integral part of any sport. That is the object of any sport, you have to score more than the other team or person. I think what is most important is how we react after the outcome. I think its important at an early age to let kids know that just because you lost a game, doesn't make you a loser.

I agree...It wasn't a pretty sight when I kicked my kids' asses at Chutes and Ladder and Candyland when they were younger. :lol

samikeyp
03-30-2005, 11:03 AM
I can see you now...

"didja like that beatdown?...'cause mama's got more where that came from!" :lmao