PDA

View Full Version : Which teams really run sets?

pauls931
05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm horrible at bball strategy to the point where I can't tell what many teams do on offense. It seems to me many teams have a star player that goes one on one waiting for the defense to slip to pass the ball to some other player.

Occasionally, I'll see a pick and roll run, and a rare cut. If a team has a good big, you'll see them feed the big in the post.

I'm just wondering because in the HS days, we'd run fixed sets and rarely freestyle it. Where in the NBA it seems freestyle 90% of the time which fixed sets coming out of a time.

I guess sets make a team too predictable may be the big reason, but it seems like teams would be able to remember enough plays/options to overcome that.

I remember the old Utah Jazz were great with this. The bulls with their triangle was good but jordan would freestyle a lot.

Perhaps seeing teams panic and not seem to know what they're doing at the end of games made this pop up in my head... Just had the ball to someone who can penetrate and hope they get a call or the defense collapses for a pass.

Seriously, when it comes to offense, I see little difference it what many NBA teams run vs what old guys I play with at the gym try to do.

Teams that I think run an offense/sets.

Spurs, ... help me here.

coldsweat
05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
personally, i think they run more sets than you would think. for example, i see off-the-ball screens relatively frequently, designed to create open jump shots. but i can understand your point of view.

KSeal
05-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Nice sig

Dex
05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
I think it's harder to tell when set plays are being run in the NBA because a) the teams are able to run them must faster and more efficiently and b) defenses are often able to take away at least the first option, resulting in audibles and changeups, or breakdowns in the play.

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/02/spurs-break-set-flex-screen-play-for.html

I've heard that the Spurs have one of the most robust and complex playbooks in the league. Here's an interesting article regarding just one of their sets in action.

lefty
05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I think it's harder to tell when set plays are being run in the NBA because a) the teams are able to run them must faster and more efficiently and b) defenses are often able to take away at least the first option, resulting in audibles and changeups, or breakdowns in the play.

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/02/spurs-break-set-flex-screen-play-for.html

I've heard that the Spurs have one of the most robust and complex playbooks in the league. Here's an interesting article regarding just one of their sets in action.

Is that why they are so boring? :D

KSeal
05-29-2009, 10:16 AM
The bulls with their triangle was good but jordan would freestyle a lot..

Yeah, but even the triangle is "freestyle" in a way, just reading the defense and making cuts, posts and whatnot based on what the defense is giving you. Though most of the time the Laker now usually just pass the ball around the perimeter for 22 seconds and then give it to Kobe, and fail to get in inside to Pau. Or Kobe just makes plays and they run P&R's with Gasol. The Bulls ran it just a liiiiiitle bit better..

JamStone
05-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Utah, San Antonio, Boston, Houston (more so without T-Mac), Dallas, Atlanta to a lesser degree.

And, D'Antoni's Suns ran more half court sets than some people think. They weren't all run and gun and free styling it. Different angles and variations of where they'd run their pick-and-rolls.

Flip Saunders ran a ton of sets with the Pistons before he was let go. Apparently, he had an extremely extensive offensive playbook too. And, when Rick Carlisle first started with the Pistons as head coach, he often scripted the first 10 or so plays of each game.

But, a lot of times, sets can be broken off, especially if you have a one-on-one talent on your team because with only 24 seconds, defenses can counter and disrupt sets a lot. Sets often have to have multiple options and counters themselves and otherwise it would end up being scrambled play on offense all the time.

lefty
05-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, but even the triangle is "freestyle" in a way, just reading the defense and making cuts, posts and whatnot based on what the defense is giving you. Though most of the time the Laker now usually just pass the ball around the perimeter for 22 seconds and then give it to Kobe, and fail to get in inside to Pau. Or Kobe just makes plays and they run P&R's with Gasol. The Bulls ran it just a liiiiiitle bit better..

The triangle has become more freestyle because of the implementatio of zone defense, but also because there are more and more athletic/versatile players than ever in the NBA.

If you look aback the the Bulls or KFC's first seasons with L.A, you notice the triangle was hardcore

endrity
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
It seems to me like Orlando runs the most sets from the four remaining teams. Not only pick and rolls from various angles, but also a lot of action is going on at the weakside, which is how they are able to get a lot of open 3 points shots. They also use Howard really well from the top of the key to beat zones, where he can either go one on one against the opposing center or catch an entry pass, wait for a double and then give a quick pass.

However I do agree that it's hard to tell nowadays. Most defenses already know the other team's plays so very often you are going to either 1)iso or 2) improvisation by someone.

z0sa
05-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Set plays only make sure the ball goes to the person they want it to, in a comfortable position to score. What actually happens during the plays changes with every possession, even if the same play is called again and again.

coldsweat
05-30-2009, 08:40 AM
actually, what may or may not be relevant to this question is what the coaches say to their players during timeouts. it doesn't even seem like the coaches discuss concrete strategies in the huddle, they just shout or encourage them with general tips. maybe this is because they already have established the set plays and do not need to discuss them, maybe because the broadcasters don't show this aspect of timeouts on tv. but it seems like the main opportunity for coaches to exercise strategy in-game is through substitutions, not changing the ensemble of set plays.

KidCongo
05-30-2009, 08:58 AM
LeISO

There are other forms noticed by Cavs fans.

LePostup

LeMidrange

DeadlyDynasty
05-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Utah Jazz...every offensive possession they run a set play

endrity
05-30-2009, 10:04 AM
actually, what may or may not be relevant to this question is what the coaches say to their players during timeouts. it doesn't even seem like the coaches discuss concrete strategies in the huddle, they just shout or encourage them with general tips. maybe this is because they already have established the set plays and do not need to discuss them, maybe because the broadcasters don't show this aspect of timeouts on tv. but it seems like the main opportunity for coaches to exercise strategy in-game is through substitutions, not changing the ensemble of set plays.

It's because the TV networks are only allowed to show that part, they can't show the tactical talks that go on during the timeouts.