PDA

View Full Version : LeBron Says Olympics Gold Medal A Heavier Burden Than An NBA Championship Ring

duncan228
05-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James says an Olympics gold medal is a heavier burden than an NBA championship ring (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1243624743243260.xml&coll=2)
Cleveland.com

For years, LeBron James has said he doesn't believe in pressure as a disarming answer to any question that includes the word itself.

Of course this isn't true. In fact, he's somewhat of an expert.

With that understanding, when James was asked to compare the Cavs' situation with the Orlando Magic to the stress of trying to win a gold medal in last summer's Olympics, he said the pressure levels aren't close. The Cavaliers entered Thursday night's game at The Q trailing, 3-1, in the Eastern Conference finals.

"I definitely feel the pressure was bigger with the Olympics than it is here," said James, who has been in contact with Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski several times during the playoffs.

"A lot of people may say different, but when you play for the Olympics team you're playing not only for Cleveland, you're playing for Orlando, you're playing for Los Angeles, Denver, you're playing for every city, every county and every place in the United States of America. So that was way more pressure than what is going on here."

That is more nationalistic than regionalistic, to be sure, but it matches James' feelings recently despite all the troubles his team has been having. All throughout the series, even when the Cavs have been at their lowest moments after difficult losses, he hasn't seemed to show the sort of frustration his teammates have.

He's been down after the losses but never seemed like it was wearing on him and always stayed upbeat.

"I've always had faith in myself and my teammates," James said.

Calling on pop:

Cavs coach Mike Brown said he's been talking to close friend and mentor Gregg Popovich over the past several days in working on game plans. The San Antonio Spurs coach and Brown talk often during the season, but this is the first time the Spurs haven't been alive in the playoffs and the Cavs have, enabling Brown to seek more advice.

"Pop's always been a great sounding board for me," Brown said.

As for people calling Brown, that's quite different. Brown said over the past few days he's had plenty of people come up to him or call him with ideas of how to help with the Cavs' issues with the Magic -- especially on defense and in guarding the 3-point shot.

"I've had a lot of suggestions on how to stop the 3 from my son to my best friend to you name it," Brown said.

West dinged:

Cavaliers guard Delonte West left the game with 3:33 remaining in the fourth quarter due to a hip pointer. His status will be updated today.

Ratings continue to soar:

Tuesday's Game 4 set a record for the most-watched NBA game in cable television history with 10.08 million viewers, though when the numbers come in for the Nuggets-Lakers Game 5 on Wednesday it could be pushed to second. TNT and ESPN have been scoring huge viewership increases all season.

So far, the Eastern Conference finals have seen a 41 percent increase in total viewers from last season's Boston Celtics-Detroit Pistons series. The local rating for Game 4 was an almost-unheard-of 30.3, which is higher than some Browns games were last season. The Cavs currently have the highest local ratings in the NBA.

BlackSwordsMan
05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
why the hell is he asking pop questions

JamStone
05-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I would tend to agree because Team USA was expected to win and win pretty convincingly, once you get past the qualifying rounds it's single elimination and you can't afford any bad games, and winning an Olympic gold for basketball only comes around every four years. I think there is more pressure to the Olympics even though the roster is (or at least should be) much, much better than any NBA team.

Bob Lanier
05-29-2009, 04:32 PM
On the other hand, one is your career, and the other is your country - and when you're a citizen of the most powerful empire the world has ever known, your country doesn't get affirmation through trinkets.

ducks
05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I would tend to agree because Team USA was expected to win and win pretty convincingly, once you get past the qualifying rounds it's single elimination and you can't afford any bad games, and winning an Olympic gold for basketball only comes around every four years. I think there is more pressure to the Olympics even though the roster is (or at least should be) much, much better than any NBA team.

I would think more pressure to win the nba
why
because the media and him thinks he is far the best ever basketball player to step on the plantet
and his team had best record in the nba

he is trying to stir this bull shit up because he is afraid he is not going to get to the finals:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Bukefal
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
why the hell is he asking pop questions

Who wouldnt? When you have the best coach of the nba in your phone book, of course you will call him for advice!!

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Only American NBA fans believe otherwise. NBA importance and size is extremely small and minor compared to Olympics. Random NBA fan "the Olympics don't matter and don't count" "no one cares about Olympics" "NBA championship is far more important" "more people watch NBA finals than Olympics"

Olympics is 100 time bigger scale than NBA playoffs.

stretch
05-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Only American NBA fans believe otherwise. NBA importance and size is extremely small and minor compared to Olympics. Random NBA fan "the Olympics don't matter and don't count" "no one cares about Olympics" "NBA championship is far more important" "more people watch NBA finals than Olympics"

major props to whomever did this troll. pure genius.

50Bestspurever
05-29-2009, 04:43 PM
B.S. if he dosnt win a NBA championship he will never be known as the greatest.

Bob Lanier
05-29-2009, 04:44 PM

You know, the Americans can overthrow your[1] government and install a dictatorship just as easily today as they could in 1967.

[1]I say "your" because I'm willing to operate under the pretense that you're actually Greek and not just a particularly persistently trolling hick from the asscrack of the United States.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I would say that pressure right now for him is less than it would be for an Olympic squad. For starters, I think getting the medal takes a little of the pressure off of winning a ring at this exact moment. If that team had failed I imagine there would be countless columnists saying, "He couldn't lead the most talented team on the planet to gold, and now he can't lead the regular season's best team to gold either." Likewise there's the time frame to consider, with only getting a shot every four years in a single elimination format. If they failed there he'd probably only have one or two more shots at it in his lifetime. The flip side is that I think most sane people would believe that even if the Cavs lose to the Magic, or were to rally and lose in the finals, Lebron will have another shot. If it doesn't happen this year it would be the first real stain on an untarnished record. He elevated a mediocre supporting cast to the finals in 2007, took the eventual champs to seven games in 2008. This would be the first instance of true underachievement on his part. While that could translate to greater scrutiny and pressure in the coming years if hasn't won a title then, right now I don't think it amounts to as much as some would believe.

Texas_Ranger
05-29-2009, 04:48 PM
:lmao @ KBP

JamStone
05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Well stated @ spurs fan in exile

Libri
05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Cavs coach Mike Brown said he's been talking to close friend and mentor Gregg Popovich over the past several days in working on game plans. The San Antonio Spurs coach and Brown talk often during the season, but this is the first time the Spurs haven't been alive in the playoffs and the Cavs have, enabling Brown to seek more advice.Pop probably told Brown to give the ball to Lebron and to tell everybody else to get the hell out of the way!

BRHornet45
05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
LOL what a fucking pussy cop out excuse. sons Lebron is only saying this because he knows that winning the gold medal is much easier than winning an NBA championship .... he is trying to take attention off of his suckassness and the fact that even with help from the NBA, he will HOPEFULLY never win a championship.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
You know, the Americans can overthrow your[1] government and install a dictatorship just as easily today as they could in 1967.

[1]I say "your" because I'm willing to operate under the pretense that you're actually Greek and not just a particularly persistently trolling hick from the asscrack of the United States.

Iran + North Korea = USA fucked

Ghazi
05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
lol CP3
lol 121-63
lol Posey

BRHornet45
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
lol CP3
lol 121-63
lol Posey

LOL Cuban getting cuckolded by Kenyon Martin
LOL Dirk the choke/flop artist
LOL Kidd $21M per year

Ghazi
05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
121-63

Bukefal
05-29-2009, 05:32 PM

What does that has to do with this?! :stfu

Ghazi
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
lol macedonia

DAF86
05-29-2009, 05:39 PM

major props to whomever did this troll. pure genius.

He's right though, nobody outside the U.S thinks that a NBA ring is bigger than an olympic medal.

DAF86
05-29-2009, 05:44 PM

I know KBP has a history but why so many people got mad at this comment? this time he is stating a fact without insulting anyone.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I know KBP has a history but why so many people got mad at this comment? this time he is stating a fact without insulting anyone.

A fact? I think not. Places Americans do not control. France, Venezuela, Iran, North Korea, Russia and Greece.

Bob Lanier
05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Because this is the Internets, where the only fun is in acting like a sociopath.

DAF86
05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
A fact? I think not. Places Americans do not control. France, Venezuela, Iran, North Korea, Russia and Greece.

Did I make myself clear? I meant that you stated a fact without insulting anyone (for once).

BlackSwordsMan
05-29-2009, 06:23 PM

american jew media has you thinking otherwise
american controls everything