PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Coach Brown Calling On Pop To Work On Game Plans

duncan228
05-29-2009, 04:29 PM
A bit from the Cavs Insider (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1243624743243260.xml&coll=2) on Cleveland.com.

Calling on pop:

Cavs coach Mike Brown said he's been talking to close friend and mentor Gregg Popovich over the past several days in working on game plans. The San Antonio Spurs coach and Brown talk often during the season, but this is the first time the Spurs haven't been alive in the playoffs and the Cavs have, enabling Brown to seek more advice.

"Pop's always been a great sounding board for me," Brown said.

As for people calling Brown, that's quite different. Brown said over the past few days he's had plenty of people come up to him or call him with ideas of how to help with the Cavs' issues with the Magic -- especially on defense and in guarding the 3-point shot.

"I've had a lot of suggestions on how to stop the 3 from my son to my best friend to you name it," Brown said.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127551

ducks
05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
mike brown needs to speed up the o and do more fast breaking

jaffies
05-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Pop - "Delonte, Booby, Mo Williams, Szerbiak

....LeBron at center.

Horray smallball!"

Dex
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Look for Hack-a-Howard to make its big debut Saturday night.

Muser
05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Pop the savior!

Amuseddaysleeper
05-29-2009, 05:28 PM
So now Szerbiak is gonna be forced into playing PG?

Bruno
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
So now Szerbiak is gonna be forced into playing C?

fixed. :)

lefty
05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow

That shows how much he sucks as a coach

That's great for his credibility................not

Cant_Be_Faded
05-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Anyone else notice that twice this series in crunch time, Brown, the coach of the year, has had one of his assistants draw up the play?

ffadicted
05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Anyone else notice that twice this series in crunch time, Brown, the coach of the year, has had one of his assistants draw up the play?

lol where is that sig from :lol

SpursFan0728
05-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Van Gundy> brown

Ice009
05-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Hmm I wonder if this would help Lebron come over to San Antonio when he is a free agent? ;)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Coach Brown is a fraud, if Lebron wins this series it'll be in spite of his teammates AND his coach.

Even TIMMY DIDN"T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS Crap. :lol
He had both Pop and DRob when he entered.

Lebron's equivalents of DRob has been Varajeo and Big Z.
The only thing Coach Brown has been good at is stressing team schemes and defense. He's learned well from Spurs ball at installing "boring basketball" however I've yet to see him prove in-game to series adjustments.

I hope Pop's pupil will prove me wrong in the next ECF games, in helping Lebron to make it to the Finals as a "Good" coach at least...I want him to be successful since he's an extension of Pop.

Who knows, maybe Coach Brown will eventually take the mantle away from the Zen Master, when it's all said and done by riding on his own "MJ's" coattails :lol

lefty
05-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Van Gundy> brown
No shit

SpursFan0728
05-29-2009, 11:50 PM
No shit

Chill, I just want to point out that he ain't COY material.

E20
05-29-2009, 11:51 PM

I wish PJ were still here to do that for Pop when he can't run anything or slap him out of it.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2009, 11:56 PM
I wish PJ were still here to do that for Pop when he can't run anything or slap him out of it.

:lol @ people thinking PJ ran the offense.

As for Mike Brown, sometimes he's not even in the huddle while the assistants are instructing the players. He seems really lost in this series. But I don't think it's unusual for coaches to call on each other during the playoffs. Pop called on Larry Brown in the past too.

ducks
05-30-2009, 12:04 AM
pop looked lost at times against mavs
but then he went to hill and bowen

magic own the cavs the last two seasons
brown has tried several things against the magic nothing works
anycoach would look lost trying to find an answer

E20
05-30-2009, 12:19 AM
:lol @ people thinking PJ ran the offense.

As for Mike Brown, sometimes he's not even in the huddle while the assistants are instructing the players. He seems really lost in this series. But I don't think it's unusual for coaches to call on each other during the playoffs. Pop called on Larry Brown in the past too.

No, but PJ gave Pop some ''guidance'' when Pop would temporarily malfunction during games.

Avitus1
05-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Spurs connections run deep.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-30-2009, 01:57 PM
lol where is that sig from :lol

The music video for Meat Sandwich.

howbouthemspurs
05-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Cavs have no chance!! It is done! Unless they kill Howard. Then maybe

Thomas82
05-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Wow

I'm shaking my head at that one myself.

rogcl1
05-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Wow

Totally disagree.Shows he is not an arrogant ass thinking he knows it all. Meeting of minds , sharing of ideas , sorting things out, cannot harm in any situation coaching or otherwise..

rogcl1
05-30-2009, 05:50 PM

I believe that is his coach in charge of offense.

rogcl1
05-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm shaking my head at that one myself.

Do you not think that coaches at all levels talk, share ideas, draw plays on napkins at lunch or whenever? I am not saying what kind of coach he is but him talking to others is a sign of stength in my eyes not weaknesss. Coaches as a whole have a unique bond between them and especially among friends this type of thing is most common.

Biernutz
05-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Mike has Hank on the bench as a sounding board. When the Spurs won with Pop, Hank was their also.

pjjrfan
05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Barkley just stated that it's obvious Mike Brown doesn't watch TNT. I couldn't stop laughing. I just think that defensively Ilguaskas is killing them. And then he isn't doing anything on the offensive end which is where his true skills are. I am just in disbelief that Brown doesn't see how his whole defense gets shredded with Ilgauskas trying to defend the pick and roll. Or anyone coming into the paint.

pjjrfan
05-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Damn he's coming out with the same lineup, I just hope the Magic choke. That's all I can do. I just don't see anyone but LeBron making an impact for the Cavs.

Biernutz
05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Why would mike want to listen to Charles? How many rings has Charles and Ernie got? I would listen to what Kenny has to say though.

lefty
05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Do you not think that coaches at all levels talk, share ideas, draw plays on napkins at lunch or whenever? I am not saying what kind of coach he is but him talking to others is a sign of stength in my eyes not weaknesss. Coaches as a whole have a unique bond between them and especially among friends this type of thing is most common.
Nothing wrong with that.

But if you're going to ask tips to another coach, just make sure nobody else knows about it.

lefty
05-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Now I know why we swept Cleveland in 2007.

Popovich told Brown what to do.

Thomas82
05-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Spurs connections run deep.

Yes they do!!

mytespurs
05-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I guess this wasn't the year to ask Pop for advice considering that the spurs were inconsistent all year and got eliminated in the preliminary round. :king

SequSpur
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Pop is not very bright.. I don't know why anyone would call him.

EricB
05-31-2009, 12:20 AM
No, but PJ gave Pop some ''guidance'' when Pop would temporarily malfunction during games.

PJ never did shit.

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Ilgauskas trying to defend the pick and roll. Or anyone coming into the paint.

Z was fkn shit, wtf is cavs center doing on the perimeter pulling jumpshots while doing nothing on the defensive end....

Obstructed_View
05-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Why would mike want to listen to Charles? How many rings has Charles and Ernie got? I would listen to what Kenny has to say though.

Yeah because the Rockets wouldn't have won with Barkley on the team instead of Kenny.

Yogurt210
05-31-2009, 08:36 AM
asking Pop for advice this year, is just shooting yourself in the head point blank, and even then the first bullet won't kill you. Youll just lay there in your blood suffering.

dbestpro
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Brown learned how to be stubborn from Pop. The inability to develop offensive creativity has cost them both. Even worse for Brown is he couldn't figure out a defensive scheme to stop Orlando. Brown needs PJ von the bench. Better yet, Cleveland would still be there is they had chosen PJ over Brown.

galvatron3000
05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Need help then sign Rasheed Wallace after Ben Wallace retires and that will put an end to the Magic and help with the perimeter shooting of the CAvs. Rasheed can help guard Howard, spread the floor and allow for other options the Cavs could exploit. Sadly that is for ext season when teams will have made changes to their rosters based on this season so this will most likely not work in 2010.