PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys offseason concern 1, 2 and 3.

Evan
05-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Good read.......

FROM MICHAEL LOMBARDI:

28 MAY 2009

QUOTE: “If I had to live my life again, I’d make the same mistakes, only sooner.” – Tallulah Bankhead (1903 - 1968)

FROM CLARENCE HILL JR. OF THE FT. WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM… The attention to detail and architecture in the all-glass structure are of museum quality. It also features the world’s largest video board. Suffice to say, (Jerry Jones) expects his football to live up to the standards of the new $1.15-billion facility — starting in 2009. “I think so,” Jones said. “I have always thought that it was an element of added pressure to be a member of the Cowboys. It’s about expectations. I expect every player that plays on this field to play above their level. That’s how you are going to stay here. I do have high expectations. You can’t put something up like this and not expect the team to reflect the quality of stadium.”
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/05/diner-morning-news-dallas-cowboys/
Last night during the Yankees game against the Rangers (yes, we were flipping from the basketball game; I live with a diehard Yankee fan, my oldest son, who controlled the remote), ESPN showed clips of the new Cowboys stadium. The placed looked amazing – just flat-out stunning. Now, as Clarence Hill Jr. pointed out in his story today, the expectations for the team must match the quality of the stadium.

The Cowboys have taken “a less is more” approach this offseason. Finally, they have decided to value team chemistry over what they’ve done in the past, which is to collect as many players as possible, regardless of how the pieces fit. This is a normal reaction. Frequently in the NFL, when an owner fires a head coach, he will then hire a coach with opposite qualities of the coach he just fired. It’s what I call the “The Laws of List Theory.” For example, Coach X does 25 things really well but three things very badly. The owner fires Coach X for those three things — then hires Coach Y. Coach Y can handle those three things extremely well, but he only does 10 other things very well. So instead of improving his team, the owner only improved his working situation with the change of coaches.

When Bill Parcells left the Cowboys, his replacement was going to be someone who was his direct opposite — easy to get along with, non-controlling, willing to take input on staff, willing to not always put pressure on the staff. The kind of coach who would make Valley Ranch a kinder, gentler place. Welcome, Wade Phillips.

Now two years removed from Parcells, the Cowboys are at a crossroads. The fans’/media perception of them is that they’re an extremely talented team that underachieved last season. That’s true to some degree, but when you examine them more closely, there are some glaring concerns.

CONCERN NO. 1

Their complete defense. They’re a pass rushing defense that benefits greatly from the play of DeMarcus Ware. The ‘Boys led the league in sacks but ranked 19th in scoring defense. They struggled to play well in the red zone, struggled to handle the run game and in the last two games of the season, they allowed a whopping 77 points.

They feel they’ll be better against the run with the addition of Keith Brooking at linebacker – the same Keith Brooking who played last season for the Falcons, who had the 25th-ranked run defense in the NFL. Brooking may help, but he’ll need to play better than last year.

Will the return of Terence Newman to full strength help? Yes, to a degree, but make no mistake — Newman is not a shutdown corner (very few are in the NFL). Teams might stay away from him because the other corner (Anthony Henry in the past, Mike Jenkins now) can be attacked. The Cowboys’ secondary is vulnerable if you can handle the pass rush. If Greg Ellis is, in fact, gone, then Anthony Spencer must make a giant leap. Can he do it? I have strong reservations about Spencer. (By the way, “The Laws of List Theory” applies to players: Get rid of Ellis because of salary and space play, replace him with Spencer, who’s cheaper and better in space — and hope it works.)

CONCERN NO. 2

The details. Winning in the NFL is all about details — from the kicking game to game management to offensive play selection to how to prepare the team. Now, in fairness, Wade Phillips claims he will be a changed man. He will put more pressure on the players, demand more from practice and have the team mentally and physically prepared to play. So these concerns are on a wait-and-see. However, if past performance predicts future achievement, I have my doubts. It may change in July or August, but the hardest thing about being disciplined enough to change is standing the test of time. Can these changes stay with the ‘Boys all season? It’s doubtful.

CONCERN NO. 3

I know almost everyone is concerned about Tony Romo. I’ve written this before and said it on NFL Network in the past, but the person who misses Parcells the most in Dallas is Romo. Romo is the kind of player who will respond to hard coaching; in fact, he needs hard coaching. He needs to have the pressure on him every single day. He must improve his preparation, his leadership skills, his decision-making, and with Terrell Owens gone, there are no longer any perceived obstacles. This has to be Romo’s year. I couldn’t care less whom he dates, how often he goes to Cabo, if he tries to qualify for the U.S. Open. I care that once he sets foot in the building, he works his ass off and does all the little things in order to become a better player.

So if I were an investor, would I buy stock in the 2009 Dallas Cowboys? Not right now. My concerns keep me from buying into the hype. In fact, I mentioned three without including either Roy Williams or special teams. The Cowboys are expected to be good – they’re America’s team, with a billion-dollar stadium — so all eyes will be watching.

redskinfan
05-30-2009, 04:55 PM
4th in the NFC East!

Spursfan092120
05-30-2009, 05:33 PM
4th in the NFC East!
Yes..that's exactly right..the Redskins were 4th in the NFC East...and they'll be there again this year. :)

exstatic
05-31-2009, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't count on Cowboy football living up to the stadium until Jerry dies and either the team is sold or Steven takes over. Jerry seems hell bent on proving he can run the team, when in reality, all he can do is run it into the ground.

Spursfan092120
05-31-2009, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't count on Cowboy football living up to the stadium until Jerry dies and either the team is sold or Steven takes over. Jerry seems hell bent on proving he can run the team, when in reality, all he can do is run it into the ground.
It was Jerry who brought in Jimmy Johnson...you've gotta give him credit for that..even if he did drop him.