PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets Say This Is The Start Of Something Special

duncan228
05-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Nuggets say this is the start of something special (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggetswrapup&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Arnie Stapleton

The Denver Nuggets are torn between what-ifs and what-a-year.

Deep down, they still think they’re the best team in the West and maybe even in the NBA altogether. They won’t get a chance to prove it, however, after losing the conference finals in six games to Kobe Bryant and the steely Los Angeles Lakers.

“I think we’re better athletically,” J.R. Smith said. “Pound for pound, I think we’re definitely the better team.”

Carmelo Anthony agrees but he also knows that’s the loser’s lament.

“We can always talk, we can say it all day every day,” he said. “But until we go out there and beat the Lakers, they’re going to be the best team in the West.”

The Nuggets, in any case, come out of this a more experienced team.

“These guys have been through a lot in just one season, grew up a lot,” Chauncey Billups said Saturday. “That’s when you start to turn the corner and get better, when you see what did and didn’t work and you get better from it.”

Next year, Denver will have a full training camp with Billups, whose acquisition from Detroit for Allen Iverson on Nov. 3 marked the Nuggets’ metamorphosis from afterthought to contender.

The Nuggets’ top five scorers return and their three unrestricted free agents—Chris “Birdman” Andersen, Dahntay Jones and Anthony Carter—all are practically begging to come back.

Asked what’s the next step for these Nuggets, Andersen cracked, “Re-signing me.” He suspects the team is ready for a title run in 2010 after a season spent figuring out schemes and styles on the fly.

“We were one series away from getting to the big show and I think next year we would be very capable, if we had the same squad, of making our way there and possibly even winning the championship,” Andersen said.

Re-signing Birdman is the Nuggets’ top offseason priority, followed closely by keeping Jones. Jones said he would “love to stay here,” as would Carter.

“We need everybody back,” Anthony said. “We want everybody back. We want our same team. It took the Lakers a couple of years to get where they’re at right now. They built it not overnight. It took time. I think that’s where we see our team right now.”

The Nuggets were fortunate to finally go through a season healthy, although Nene broke his left forearm when he ran into a Shannon Brown screen in the fourth quarter Friday night and will be in a splint for up to a month.

Other than that, Nene made a successful comeback from cancer; Kenyon Martin returned from operations on both knees; Andersen came back from a drug suspension to become a fan favorite; Smith bounced back from an auto accident that killed a friend; Jones went from the D-league to NBA starter and got under his opponents’ skins; and Anthony became a star after five straight first-round exits.

This band of misfits came together and won more games than any team in franchise history and reached the conference championships for the first time since 1985. And they very nearly went to their first NBA Finals.

The Nuggets said they’ll put the lessons they learned to use this fall and turn this franchise-record 64-win season that nobody saw coming six months ago into the start of something special.

Bryant’s a believer. He said the series with the Nuggets made the Lakers a better, more focused team. And if he wins a fourth ring, he’ll have Denver to thank.

“This Denver Nuggets team is a problem,” he declared.

And much less of an enigma than in years past.

“This is, I feel like, a new beginning for me,” Anthony said. “We’ve got the whole summer to think about this, see where we went wrong, come back in training camp next season and pick up where we left off. We don’t want to take no steps back. We want to move forward from here.”

mfanatic
05-30-2009, 05:07 PM
How old will Billups be? 32? 33?

That team isn't going anywhere with Martin as their starting forward.

Trade Martin, put Nene as his natural PF position, get a C, then lets talk.

50Bestspurever
05-30-2009, 05:17 PM
As long as Karl is there they will always be a failure.

Muser
05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
No team with KMart and J.R Smith will ever win.

JamStone
05-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Billups will be 33 in September. I thought he was done last summer. But, seems like he might have a couple more strong seasons left in him. Considering he doesn't really rely on quickness or athleticism to have an effective game, somewhat similar to Steve Nash, he might be able to play at a decently high level for 2-3 more years. But, who knows? Age generally hits right around his age in the NBA.

JR Smith is a tough one. So talented, but his mental approach and attitude (even though both he and the Nuggets claimed he's matured) still seem to be a huge detriment at times. They probably need a better back-up point guard than Anthony Carter. If they can trade K-Mart and replace his rebounding and defense, they should look into that as well.

And, I agree that George Karl holds them back. Does he even really coach? But, it's a huge long shot that they replace him given how well the season went for them.

iggypop123
05-30-2009, 06:35 PM
just another bust team. first the jazz, then the hornets. now its them

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Meh....they're one meltdown away from blowing it in every game. Chauncey did a hell of a job though in turning things around and getting them to the height they reached. If Iverson had been there they might have been an 8th seed.

JustBlaze
05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
As long as Karl is there they will always be a failure.

QFT:king

baseline bum
05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
How can a team that can't inbound the ball think they're the best in the conference, much less the league?

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 06:48 PM
How can a team that can't inbound the ball think they're the best in the conference, much less the league?

:tu

Two times at that.

JustBlaze
05-30-2009, 06:56 PM
How old will Billups be? 32? 33?

That team isn't going anywhere with Martin as their starting forward.

Trade Martin, put Nene as his natural PF position, get a C, then lets talk.

In regards to your last statement, it ain't easy as it sounds. No team will want Martins ugly contract, don't you think the team has tried to deal the guy when they went on salary cutting mode in the off season?

JustBlaze
05-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Fuck off, don't bring that shit up no more.:bang

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Birdman, Jones, and Carter are all Free Agents. Guessing Birdman is 1st priority followed by the other 2.

JustBlaze
05-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Birdman, Jones, and Carter are all Free Agents. Guessing Birdman is 1st priority followed by the other 2.

Yup and he's made it clear that though he would love to stay, he's not planning on coming back for the minimum. Which was something the Nuggets were obviously looking to do since they are in cost cutting mode. But I'm confident they'll give him what he's looking for and he'll still be with the team in the future. As for DJ and AC, I see the Nugz offering them either the minimum or GTFO. I would love having Jones back, but the two are expendable.

Spurs Brazil
05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Nuggets next season will be like the Hornets this season

BUMP
05-30-2009, 07:56 PM
As long as Billups is there and playing at a decent level, this team will be a contender again. Funny thing is that I always thought that the Nuggets were the most talented team in the league when they had AI.

Two potential All Stars in Melo, AI

DPOY in Camby
Martin, Nene, and JR Smith are all quality players as well

Leadership was obviously the missing link and as long as they have it, they will be a contender but IMO they need a new coach. They should resign Birdman. Dahnte and Carter can go

poop
05-30-2009, 08:13 PM
if only we could combine the spurs players brains into the nuggets players bodies.