PDA

View Full Version : Lebron great player huge ego... little class

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:07 PM
How does he not congratulate Dwight or talk to the press after?
IF kobe pulled that ish yall we would be killing him ...
Anyway Skip Bayless will finally criticize Lebron and he would deserve it ...for one of the few times in his career.

Lebron came up small on the court and off ...he had no problem talking after his "shot"

Armando
05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
I agree I know is frustrating to lose after a great season but you have to show some class. He just got beat by a better team.

florige
05-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Meh. He did the same thing after we swept them in 07. I can't remember if he addressed the press though.

ducks
05-30-2009, 11:10 PM
he should be used to losing in the playoffs
he has won nothing yet

he is a baby though in basketball he is always used to getting his way

lefty
05-30-2009, 11:11 PM
He stepped of the court without shaking hands at the end of game 7 vs Pistons in 2006.

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I hated when Isiah did the same to MJ (and i wasnt not a huge MJ jockrider) ...this is not to bash Lebron. Kobe took his medicine last year even with tears in his eyes ...Melo spoke after losing in the WCF so did Chauncey.

ducks
05-30-2009, 11:13 PM
HE HAS NO CLASS
there is a reason I do not care for him

Budkin
Found this pic on a Magic forum discussing the same topic...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/JoeCool-23/bronnonono.gif

JamStone
Dude was upset. I don't think I ever see him sticking around on the court after any loss, even at home in Cleveland. I understand he should handle it better being the superstar that he is. But, people making a big deal about it are just trying to find things to nit pick about the kid and to kick him while he's down.

flipcritic
05-30-2009, 11:14 PM
C'mon guys. Give the guy a break.

Ghazi
05-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Big fucking deal

NewJerSpur
But how do you come up with all of these elaborate celebrations and not find time to salute your opponent? You rub it in their faces when you're on a roll but won't even give them dap when they get the best of you?

Killakobe81
He stepped of the court without shaking hands at the end of game 7 vs Pistons in 2006.

HE should of learned his lesson. Plus why not come out like Tim Tebow? That was the classiest press address after a loss. Not that his and his team's talent wasnt part of it but they had less talent than USC but when your leader come out and takes responsibility for the loss and promises to get better and help his team get better that is talent, leadership, heart and class!Lebron should have more than a College Senior ...

ducks
Dude was upset. I don't think I ever see him sticking around on the court after any loss, even at home in Cleveland. I understand he should handle it better being the superstar that he is. But, people making a big deal about it are just trying to find things to nit pick about the kid and to kick him while he's down.
ah poor little baby
if he can not handle it he can go to europe

Udokafan05
05-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Ironic how lakers fans are talking about how classy somebody else is.

JamStone
I hated when Isiah did the same to MJ (and i wasnt not a huge MJ jockrider) ...this is not to bash Lebron. Kobe took his medicine last year even with tears in his eyes ...Melo spoke after losing in the WCF so did Chauncey.

I don't think you can compare this to Isiah and what he did. Isiah's walking off the court was 100 times worse. First of all, it was before the game had officially ended. And, he walked right past the Chicago Bulls bench. AND, he led several of his teammates in walking off the court purposely neglecting everyone on that Bulls bench. Isiah was trying to be a jackass to Jordan and the Bulls. He was a class A punk for that one. And, this from a huge Isiah fan and someone who isn't a fan of LeBron.

LeBron walked off after the game was over and didn't make a big production about it. Don't think the two are comparable.

ducks

he can have the break at mcdonalds not spurstalk

E20
05-30-2009, 11:17 PM
HE should of learned his lesson. Plus why not come out like Tim Tebow? That was the classiest press address after a loss. Not that his and his team's talent wasnt part of it but they had less talent than USC but when your leader come out and takes responsibility for the loss and promises to get better and help his team get better that is talent leadership heat and class Lebron should have more than a College Senior ...

Lebron didn't go to college. :lol

Meh I dont' really care. Showing respect/being a good sport in defeat is good, but I'm sure nobody on the Magic give a fuck.

Ghazi
Shut the FUCK up God!

Ghazi
(directed at ducks, what a FGT)

lefty
05-30-2009, 11:18 PM
he can have the break at mcdonalds not spurstalk
:lmao

50 cent
05-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Piss poor leadership by Lebron right there.

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't think you can compare this to Isiah and what he did. Isiah's walking off the court was 100 times worse. First of all, it was before the game had officially ended. And, he walked right past the Chicago Bulls bench. AND, he led several of his teammates in walking off the court purposely neglecting everyone on that Bulls bench. Isiah was trying to be a jackass to Jordan and the Bulls. He was a class A punk for that one. And, this from a huge Isiah fan and someone who isn't a fan of LeBron.

LeBron walked off after the game was over and didn't make a big production about it. Don't think the two are comparable.

Agree that was worse but like you said tourself Isiah is was an asshole on the court. Lebron is hyped as the ultimate teammate and leader. By many media guys like simmons . Based on that that is a blow to his image/aura. if he is such a great teammate why not lift their spirits after? Why not take the media scrutiny off of them (because the media will ultimately blame them not Lebron for this series loss?) by standing behind his guys?

Look I'm not nitpicking here. I think Lebron is the 2nd best player in the world. MY op made 2 points first -it was classless. The 2nd if Kobe did that this board would be in flames from the haters ...Lebron should not get a pass because it was a tough loss.

Also why give the Magic more fuel for next season? Yes it was no where near as bad as the Pistons vs. Bulls but if Im the Magic i still remember that.

quickerblade
05-30-2009, 11:24 PM
He should of congratulated Orlando and spoke to the media, if the nuggets did it he could to

Pistons < Spurs
05-30-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought it was a complete bitch move by Lebron.

Biggems
05-30-2009, 11:26 PM
The King is a cowardly lion....I have never liked Lebron. He is an overhyped bitch. The league hands him call after call. He hasn't had to work for his the way MJ, Magic, Bird, and Isaiah did.

He is a great player and all, but not as good as Stern and the refs have allowed him to be.

Armando
05-30-2009, 11:26 PM
If Carmelo had done it the media would have raked him over hot coals.

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Listen here little man ...
Kobe took all of his tough losses (even in tears) like when yuou closed out the 3peat team (spurs) by congratulating his opponent. he did that to Cauncey, Boston last year and many times to the Spurs.
We may not always win with class but we lose with dignity ...

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
If Carmelo had done it the media would have raked him over hot coals.

Even better than my OP take Kobe out of it ..melo does that and his maturity goes in to question IMMEDIATELY!!!!

JamStone
05-30-2009, 11:31 PM
But why do some of you care so much?

200 miles
05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
PRIMA DONNA

I bet tomorrow LeBron will be heading to David Stern's mansion to look for some "consolation and loving".

KSeal
05-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Who cares, so what he got mad and didn't feel like going through all the bullshit. Whatever, only douche bag media people with nothing better to do make big deals out of this kind of crap.

baseline bum
05-30-2009, 11:41 PM

Didn't Isiah and Jordan hate each other like no two other players in NBA history after Isiah froze Jordan out in the All-Star game? I guess Jordan got his revenge in keeping Thomas off the Dream Team though.

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
But why do some of you care so much?

Jamstone I have a lot of respect for you ...so ill answer your question.

I have played or coached sports pretty much al my life and Im in my early 30's. Right now I have two young sons that are just getting in to sports. That is 2 plus 8 -10 kids that i try to teach to work hard, play hard and show good sportmanship. My oldest hates to lose and tears wells up in his eyes after a tough loss. And many times he does not want to shake hands after loss but is glad to after a win. That is something taught at the early levels of sport and i think one of the clasy things that pros keep going even when they are my age. Many kids look up to these guys and Lebron has many young fans why not be a leader there set a good example for his fans and teammates?

I think he is great and i think he will learn ...but to act as if it's nothing to me loses the essence of what sport is about. When i play hoops i will fight you for 40 mins or to 11 or 13 if it's pickup but after I say good game no matter how disappointed I am ...that is the example i set for my kids and say what you want about Kobe he always does that as does many other stars.

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Who cares, so what he got mad and didn't feel like going through all the bullshit. Whatever, only douche bag media people with nothing better to do make big deals out of this kind of crap.

I'm not a douchebag, nor am I in the media (yet), and I feel that if you have no problem throwing you prowess in everyone's face when things are going well you should be able stand up, face the music, and give props when it's not your night.

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Didn't Isiah and Jordan hate each other like no two other players in NBA history after Isiah froze Jordan out in the All-Star game? I guess Jordan got his revenge in keeping Thomas off the Dream Team though.

That was bull....Christian Laetner over Zeek?

ehz33satx
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Big fucking deal

Why the fuck are you still posting here? The Mavs have been gone for several weeks now. Nobody gives a damn what Mavs fans think. Fuck off!

Frenzy
05-30-2009, 11:45 PM
magic did....

the summer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Bitch move.

JamStone
05-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Both of those were the rumors at the time, and I'm sure each have some at least part truth to them. I'm not positive about the Isiah freezing out Jordan at one of the ASG, but I've heard that before.

I also know that before both the Pistons and Bulls title runs, Jordan tried to convince Isiah to sign with the Bulls. And, I also remember (I'm older and yes I do remember this) Isiah Thomas being on the Arsenio Hall Show for an interview and telling Arsenio that Michael Jordan was the best player on the planet. Isiah might not have liked Jordan, but he knew Jordan was a beast.

They definitely didn't like each other, but most of it was about just being competitors. And, I think some of it was overblown... until the whole 1992 Olympic Dream Team thing. I mean, Chuck Daly was the coach. Magic was on that team. Both of those guys were Isiah's "guys." And, Isiah absolutely should have been on that team ahead of several other guys. But, that's how much pull Jordan had with that team, with everything in the world really.

KSeal
05-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm not a douchebag, nor am I in the media (yet), and I feel that if you have no problem throwing you prowess in everyone's face when things are going well you should be able stand up, face the music, and give props when it's not your night.

He didn't even shake hands with Dwight?!?! I thought you guys were complaining about him not addressing the media. If he didn't at least shake hands before he walked off that is kinda lame but I thought he did.

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I will say this as an out ...
Maybe he was worried the questions about whether this makes him less likely to stay in CLeveland he wasnt prepared to answer and since he doesnt know if he will stay he chose to avoid the question but if he has no plans to leave he should face the music ...that is what champions do. MJ had his share of defeats before winning hellpretty much everyone has except Duncan and Magic ...

JamStone
05-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Jamstone I have a lot of respect for you ...so ill answer your question.

I have played or coached sports pretty much al my life and Im in my early 30's. Right now I have two young sons that are just getting in to sports. That is 2 plus 8 -10 kids that i try to teach to work hard, play hard and show good sportmanship. My oldest hates to lose and tears wells up in his eyes after a tough loss. And many times he does not want to shake hands after loss but is glad to after a win. That is something taught at the early levels of sport and i think one of the clasy things that pros keep going even when they are my age. Many kids look up to these guys and Lebron has many young fans why not be a leader there set a good example for his fans and teammates?

I think he is great and i think he will learn ...but to act as if it's nothing to me loses the essence of what sport is about. When i play hoops i will fight you for 40 mins or to 11 or 13 if it's pickup but after I say good game no matter how disappointed I am ...that is the example i set for my kids and say what you want about Kobe he always does that as does many other stars.

It was absolutely LeBron being a sore loser. And, sure, it was poor sportsmanship. But, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. If anything, today's NBA is too friendly. Players all are good friends. There's no true animosity left, or it's very rare. I look at it as LeBron being pissed. I don't think he was trying to show up anyone or intentionally trying to be a jackass. Look at the example of Isiah in 1991 that we've discussed. This wasn't that type of situation. It's nice and all trying to teach your kids good sportsmanship, but I'm sorry that it doesn't tug at the heart strings to make me think LeBron has to be condemned or persecuted over this. He was pissed. He left early without congratulating the Magic or taking interviews. He acted immaturely. Oh well.

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2009, 11:57 PM
if lebron james was serious...should come and join the spurs for 10m a season.....

Killakobe81
05-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Both of those were the rumors at the time, and I'm sure each have some at least part truth to them. I'm not positive about the Isiah freezing out Jordan at one of the ASG, but I've heard that before.

I also know that before both the Pistons and Bulls title runs, Jordan tried to convince Isiah to sign with the Bulls. And, I also remember (I'm older and yes I do remember this) Isiah Thomas being on the Arsenio Hall Show for an interview and telling Arsenio that Michael Jordan was the best player on the planet. Isiah might not have liked Jordan, but he knew Jordan was a beast.

They definitely didn't like each other, but most of it was about just being competitors. And, I think some of it was overblown... until the whole 1992 Olympic Dream Team thing. I mean, Chuck Daly was the coach. Magic was on that team. Both of those guys were Isiah's "guys." And, Isiah absolutely should have been on that team ahead of several other guys. But, that's how much pull Jordan had with that team, with everything in the world really.

Agre on Isiah and dreamteam he was more deserving than stockton, Glyde Pippen Mullin pretty much everyone except Magic, MJ, Bird and maybe Barkley ...he was a champion and Sure fire HOF'er

JamStone
05-30-2009, 11:58 PM
You've seen LeBron's camera. He doesn't have a digital one yet. He's behind in the times. He still uses film. He had to rush and go get his pictures developed.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/michael-lanning/cavs-pregame-picture.jpg

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 11:58 PM
He didn't even shake hands with Dwight?!?! I thought you guys were complaining about him not addressing the media. If he didn't at least shake hands before he walked off that is kinda lame but I thought he did.

No, he peaced out early, frontrunner style.

NewJerSpur
05-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Agre on Isiah and dreamteam he was more deserving than stockton, Glyde Pippen Mullin pretty much everyone except Magic, MJ, Bird and maybe Barkley ...he was a champion and Sure fire HOF'er

CHRISTIAN LAETTNER OVER ZEEK?! I don't care what he did at Duke, that was the most obvious of slights.

Killakobe81
05-31-2009, 12:04 AM
It was absolutely LeBron being a sore loser. And, sure, it was poor sportsmanship. But, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. If anything, today's NBA is too friendly. Players all are good friends. There's no true animosity left, or it's very rare. I look at it as LeBron being pissed. I don't think he was trying to show up anyone or intentionally trying to be a jackass. Look at the example of Isiah in 1991 that we've discussed. This wasn't that type of situation. It's nice and all trying to teach your kids good sportsmanship, but I'm sorry that it doesn't tug at the heart strings to make me think LeBron has to be condemned or persecuted over this. He was pissed. He left early without congratulating the Magic or taking interviews. He acted immaturely. Oh well.
give
MJ Magic Kobe are killers but still props when they lose not swine flu importance and it does not detract from Lebron being a top 3 NBA player with MJ like potential ...
BUT just saying it was poor sportmanship, classless and not great leadership.
Again i think he will learn but so far he has not shown that in lossess only when he wins ...
As for the league I agree it went soft. But in the golden era (80's)Magic and Isiah kissed before games and then tried to kill each other ...kisssing opponents before games not my cup of tea ...but even if you look at your boy manny after he knocks someone out he hugs them and is concerned for them (like poor Ricky hatton) During the game, match contest it's war and i m there to win. After and before (maybe depending on rivalry)you shake hands etc that is being a good sport. and i think it would be sad if that went away completely ...Personlly why I dont hate the spurs even though many of their fans hate the Lakers and Kobe and Fish. Because they show lot's of class before, after and during games. Except Bowen i hate that hack!

jag
05-31-2009, 12:10 AM
You've seen LeBron's camera. He doesn't have a digital one yet. He's behind in the times. He still uses film. He had to rush and go get his pictures developed.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/michael-lanning/cavs-pregame-picture.jpg

It looks like Mike Brown is really enjoying the show.

I dont think this would be such an issue if Bron were a soft spoken, humble guy. He's loud about everything, from pregame rituals, to made baskets, to blocked shots...he wants everyone to know he's the "king".

If you can take (and make) the praise...you should be able to take the criticism.

Killakobe81
05-31-2009, 12:17 AM
Update: Rachel Nichols reported Lebron did tell teammates how much they mean to him before he left validating what Mo said in his press conference.
However Howard said he was surprised at Lebron and he would of congratulted LBJ if teh role was reversed. Look again i still think LBJ is a better player than Howard but Dwight is more classy and humble and a better example as a sportsman heck he is better than Kobe at that as well ...but many guys Kobe included would not of done that ...

and im done on this topic dont want to be classified as a LBJ hater because I love many aspects of his game... again i just hate the hype and the media protection when he comes up short or shows huge ego ...

R4R
05-31-2009, 12:19 AM
I think he realized what an asshole he came off as on his way to his mom's house. Expect a sorry speech in the next few days or so.

jag
05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Kobe would have at least stayed and done whatever he thought MJ would have done in the same scenario...

Frenzy
james lost....so does this mean he's gonna change the tat on his back... to

"frozen one"

NewJerSpur
Kobe would have at least stayed and done whatever he thought MJ would have done in the same scenario...

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Killakobe81
05-31-2009, 12:24 AM

that is pretty funny ...but who has his number and the chalk like MJ ...

JamStone
05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Put a towel over his head and tell people he couldn't talk or shake hands because he had a 120 degree fever?

coldsweat
05-31-2009, 12:36 AM

:lol:lol:lol

TheMACHINE
05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
fucker needs to man up. bitch move.

YellowFever
05-31-2009, 12:56 AM

If I rememer that time correctly, It was big news that Isiah tried to "freeze" MJ out during that ASG. Some of the other players went along because they were not happy with the way the media was treating MJ (I mean MJ was being overhyped to death..kinda like Lebron now) and also MJ didn't take off his jewelry and sweat pants for the first couple of rounds in the slam dunk contest.

By the time '92 Dream Team came along, nobody really cared for Zeke. MJ never did, Bird never did, and Zeke and Magic had a falling out when they traded shoves in the finals in '88.

I think that and a couple of other issue has Magic and Zeke not speaking to each other for awhile. I distinctly remember Zeke and Magic "making up" sometimes during the 2000 Lakers championship run.

Thomas82
05-31-2009, 01:18 AM
james lost....so does this mean he's gonna change the tat on his back... to

"frozen one"

:rollin:rollin

KidCongo
05-31-2009, 01:20 AM
All this hate. He's out of the playoffs why you worried?

peskypesky
05-31-2009, 01:21 AM
The King is a cowardly lion....I have never liked Lebron. He is an overhyped bitch. The league hands him call after call. He hasn't had to work for his the way MJ, Magic, Bird, and Isaiah did.

He is a great player and all, but not as good as Stern and the refs have allowed him to be.

:toast

NewJerSpur
05-31-2009, 01:22 AM

I think its more the manner in which he went out, especially with him potentially being the face of the league and all and being front and center when the Cavs were on a roll.

redzero
05-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Being upset is no reason to act like a little kid. His teammates had the class to address the media, but he just couldn't accept defeat.

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2009, 01:24 AM

not worried at all since he be bolting to the knicks anyway...

that cavs team are a joke....and they only have what 1 year left to find the missin piece for lebron or he bolts....and i doubt they could do anything since most of the players on their team are fkn jackshit.....

KidCongo
05-31-2009, 01:29 AM
I think its more the manner in which he went out, especially with him potentially being the face of the league and all and being front and center when the Cavs were on a roll.

Not giving Dwight and his team props is unsportsmanlike but this is probably the worst state of mind he's ever been in whilst playing in the NBA.

NewJerSpur
05-31-2009, 01:31 AM
Not giving Dwight and his team props is unsportsmanlike but this is probably the worst state of mind he's ever been in whilst playing in the NBA.

Still no excuse. He got too high when his team was on a roll and too low when they got rolled out of the playoffs imo. Not saying you can't show excitement, but he went up too many notches likely thinking it would be a cakewalk to the Finals.

wireonfire
05-31-2009, 01:36 AM

Exactly. It is more fitting to use the title on Kobe.

KidCongo
05-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Still no excuse. He got too high when his team was on a roll and too low when they got rolled out of the playoffs imo. Not saying you can't show excitement, but he went up too many notches likely thinking it would be a cakewalk to the Finals.

The dude carried a bunch of role players to 66 wins with a coach whos best play is "I'll give the ball to LeBron at the top of the arc".

WGAF after the season he has played. He's only human.

People still obsessed with LeBron when he's out of the playoffs. Why don't you focus on Lakers Magic? Spurs off-season?

NewJerSpur
05-31-2009, 01:49 AM
The dude carried a bunch of role players to 66 wins with a coach whos best play is "I'll give the ball to LeBron at the top of the arc".

People still obsessed with LeBron when he's out of the playoffs. Why don't you focus on Lakers Magic? Spurs off-season?

My focus is more on:

1) Spur affairs

2) Current NBA basketball

The topic came up and I wanted to speak on it. His team evidently afforded him good amounts of rest throughout the season by contributing to and not blowing the gargantuan leads on opposing players as he and his cohorts made spectacles of themselves on the bench in the process. If you could do all that maybe you can learn a lesson from the guys that give you props after games in which you let them know you defeated them handedly and the media that follows you around non-stop and forces you on the public and address both in the bad times as well.

KidCongo
05-31-2009, 01:53 AM
LeBron has no class, the biggest ego, choker, bad leader, cry-baby, crab walker.Haters you win.

quickerblade
05-31-2009, 03:06 AM

that brand of basketball never works in the postseason

KSeal
05-31-2009, 03:27 AM
that brand of basketball never works in the postseason

An ass load of people were saying the Magics brand of "shoot 76 threes a game" basketball wouldn't work. Proved to be the other side that didn't work.

Capt Bringdown
05-31-2009, 03:37 AM
Will LeBron pout, throw his teammates under the bus and whine about management to the media after a disappointing playoff loss?

In other words, will he commit a Kobe?
Opps, forgot to add rape to the list...

v2freak
05-31-2009, 05:19 AM

As long as he remembers that. I hope all of this "King"/Chosen One/#23 hype won't become Deity/Messiah/Thor or whatever BS in the future.

Dude's immature, still in his early twenties, right? Explains a lot.

TJastal
05-31-2009, 05:19 AM

Bingo, nice post. I agree 100%

TJastal
05-31-2009, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by flipcritic

magic did....

the summer.

:lol

damn you guys are cracking me up today

Ice009
05-31-2009, 07:22 AM
give
MJ Magic Kobe are killers but still props when they lose not swine flu importance and it does not detract from Lebron being a top 3 NBA player with MJ like potential ...
BUT just saying it was poor sportmanship, classless and not great leadership.
Again i think he will learn but so far he has not shown that in lossess only when he wins ...
As for the league I agree it went soft. But in the golden era (80's)Magic and Isiah kissed before games and then tried to kill each other ...kisssing opponents before games not my cup of tea ...but even if you look at your boy manny after he knocks someone out he hugs them and is concerned for them (like poor Ricky hatton) During the game, match contest it's war and i m there to win. After and before (maybe depending on rivalry)you shake hands etc that is being a good sport. and i think it would be sad if that went away completely ...Personlly why I dont hate the spurs even though many of their fans hate the Lakers and Kobe and Fish. Because they show lot's of class before, after and during games. Except Bowen i hate that hack!

How come you hate Bruce? Kobe usually gives him a lot of praise. Bruce has had some great games against Kobe. Good basketball.

pauls931
05-31-2009, 08:40 AM
I agree, he should have congratulated several of the magic players before leaving. That was classless. He was being selfish and probably worrying about his endorsements.

samikeyp
05-31-2009, 09:28 AM
I have no problem with him not talking to the media, although I think it is a league rule and if so should be followed. I never bought the whole "you have to talk to the media" thing. No player should have to do that especially after a loss, IMO.

The thing that I don't like is the not shaking hands afterward. Sadly its another example of a growing thought process by younger players and younger fans as well. They stupidly equate showing respect with showing fear and they are not the same. If you get beat, be a man and own up to it. Don't run and hide, don't blame everyone else and don't bitch and moan. Its another sign that while sportmanship may not be totally dead, its on life support.

ploto
05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
I posted this in another thread- it fits better here:

I have never been a LeBron basher at all. I happen to think he is an amazing player, but I was very disappointed at his lack of class last night when the game was over. You can be competitive all you want, but in the NBA when the series is over, you are gracious and mature and shake hands with the opponent- not after every game, but after the series is over you do- no matter how upset you are that you lost. It is called good sportsmanship and I was sad to see LBJ display none.

j.dizzle
05-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Even freakin kendrick perkins gave Orl hugs n shit after they lost..Perkins doesnt even know what the word smile means & he still gave Orl there props. I think James was just frustrated that 66 wins, MVP, & Coach of the year all went down the drain..Too much cockiness, especially Mo Williams.

Desert Plains
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
The sad part is all those parents who told their kids after their soccer team got beat to high five the others teams hands have to start all over.

LakerHater
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Here he is postgame:

http://fasterupload.com/images/rwj9cic5nkulrhplrdj0.gif

Kamnik
05-31-2009, 04:33 PM
i thought it was a complete bitch move by lebron.

+1

JustBlaze
05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
big fucking deal
+1

Strike
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Even freakin kendrick perkins gave Orl hugs n shit after they lost..Perkins doesnt even know what the word smile means & he still gave Orl there props. I think James was just frustrated that 66 wins, MVP, & Coach of the year all went down the drain..Too much cockiness, especially Mo Williams.

Frustrated is one thing. Taking it like a bitch is another. Like another person said, it reminded me of the Pistons in 91 when they walked off the floor after getting swept by the Bulls. Was it as bad as Rodman, Thomas, Laimbeer, etc. walking off before the horn sounded? No. But Lebron's act reeked of poor sportsmanship and a lack of class just the same.

Take your loss like a man. How hard is that?

ducks
05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
I posted this in another thread- it fits better here:

I have never been a LeBron basher at all. I happen to think he is an amazing player, but I was very disappointed at his lack of class last night when the game was over. You can be competitive all you want, but in the NBA when the series is over, you are gracious and mature and shake hands with the opponent- not after every game, but after the series is over you do- no matter how upset you are that you lost. It is called good sportsmanship and I was sad to see LBJ display none.

I am not surprised
he has shown no class before
took things in highschool when it was against the rules

got his mom to go to the bank and forced the bank to give her a loan to my a hummer with 7 tvs before he stepped on the nba court

because he could not wait 3 months and he had to buy it from the dealership nba players buy their cars from

Gervin44Silas13
05-31-2009, 07:09 PM
AND THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FACE OF THE NBA!!!???

What a spoiled little fuck he is... HEY LEBRON BE A FUCKING MAN AND ACCEPT DEFEAT. Congradulate you adversaries and fucking move on to next season.

P.S I hope you blow your fucking knee out next year just because you a such a dick!!!

Gervin44Silas13
05-31-2009, 07:11 PM

When Spurs got punked in 1995 you didn't see that shit from our team!!!

samikeyp
06-01-2009, 08:56 AM
“It’s hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them,” James said. “I’m a winner. It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them. That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a competitor. That’s what I do. It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.”

No, that is exactly what makes you a good sport. Oh well, I guess wanting to be a global icon is more important.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I still fail to see why people are making a big deal out of this. Sure he was a poor sport. Yes he was wrong. But it is what it is. People need to just get over it. People expect too much from pro athletes. If it's your argument is that it sets a bad example for your kids, your bigger problem is that you let sports figures be role models for your kids. They'll disappoint you more often than not.

The media makes these athletes to be perfect. They're not. They're human. They have personality flaws. Look at Tim Duncan after losing the 2004 Olympics calling FIBA retarded. Most people here laughed and even applauded him. That was being a poor sport too. It happens. People need to stop killing the kid over this. I'm not even a LeBron fan and I think people are making too much about it.

Dex
06-01-2009, 09:45 AM
If this guy is going to act like the "King" when he's winning, then he needs to have a little humility in the face of defeat. No player likes getting sent home, but the ones with class stick around and give their congratulations to the winners.

I have a hard time thinking that Jordan would've punked out and ditched the arena with his Mom.

That being said, the Cavs are already yesterdays news, so WGAF?

samikeyp
06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
I still fail to see why people are making a big deal out of this. Sure he was a poor sport. Yes he was wrong. But it is what it is. People need to just get over it. People expect too much from pro athletes. If it's your argument is that it sets a bad example for your kids, your bigger problem is that you let sports figures be role models for your kids. They'll disappoint you more often than not.

The media makes these athletes to be perfect. They're not. They're human. They have personality flaws. Look at Tim Duncan after losing the 2004 Olympics calling FIBA retarded. Most people here laughed and even applauded him. That was being a poor sport too. It happens. People need to stop killing the kid over this. I'm not even a LeBron fan and I think people are making too much about it.

People are making a big deal out of it because of LeBron's status in the NBA. If a Matt Bonner or Jacque Vaughn did this, no one would care. As much as people like to praise and prop up superstars, they also relish in finding what they determine are flaws and mistakes and tearing them down. I don't think, however, its "making a big deal out of it" by giving the opinion that he was a bad sport in this situation.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Did Timmy shake the players hands after the game and then later on his own time say that?

JamStone
06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Michael Jordan was notorious for being a sore loser. People just didn't see it publicly. In practices, playing pool, gambling, anything else, he was a huge prick. He wouldn't act like that after a playoff loss because he knew his image would take a hit. But what's worse? LeBron being the poor sport he really is or Jordan pretending to be a good sport because he was worried about his image? Kind of like how Kobe was the all American McDonalds commercial boy before he raped a girl. At least LeBron isn't fronting about who he is.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 09:56 AM
People are making a big deal out of it because of LeBron's status in the NBA. If a Matt Bonner or Jacque Vaughn did this, no one would care. As much as people like to praise and prop up superstars, they also relish in finding what they determine are flaws and mistakes and tearing them down. I don't think, however, its "making a big deal out of it" by giving the opinion that he was a bad sport in this situation.

I think it's fine if someone is just expressing an opinion about it. But it does seem like some people are not going to let it go. I think some are trying to make LeBron seem like the worst person ever for this.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Did Timmy shake the players hands after the game and then later on his own time say that?

I don't remember. I'm not equating the degree of poor sportsmanship just the fact both are examples of poor sportsmanship.

Dex
06-01-2009, 09:59 AM

Exactly. I don't think he should lose advertising deals or anything because of it. I would say the same things from someone who just up and split at a pickup game. What's so hard about an earnest "good game"?

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Jam must have never played sports, especially at a high level. There is an unwritten rule that no matter what happens, it stays on the field. You always congratulate and if you do not, you deserve to be chastised. I could understand if there was a lot of bad blood or really bad fouls and dirty play. But there was not.

Trust me, as soon as Lebron dunks next year, no one will care. People will get over it. He will lose a lot of respect from his peers, especially when he and the Cavs are doing the excessive celebrations, but no one really cares that much. He is a superstar and if he wants to take on 90M dollar contracts and allow himself to be named the King, he must take the criticisms when he messes up.

He compounded the mistake by acting like an oblivious idiot when asked about it. So he has never shaken hands after a loss? If he has, even once then he is a hypocrite. Because that would mean he does not truly believe what he said, but that he is too prideful to admit he was wrong.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't remember. I'm not equating the degree of poor sportsmanship just the fact both are examples of poor sportsmanship.

Context. Everyone in every sport has been a poor sport to some degree. But there is a time and place to do it. During the game & after the dust has settled on your own time.

samikeyp
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I think it's fine if someone is just expressing an opinion about it. But it does seem like some people are not going to let it go. I think some are trying to make LeBron seem like the worst person ever for this.

*paging Ducks* :lmao

JamStone
06-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Jam must have never played sports, especially at a high level. There is an unwritten rule that no matter what happens, it stays on the field. You always congratulate and if you do not, you deserve to be chastised. I could understand if there was a lot of bad blood or really bad fouls and dirty play. But there was not.

Trust me, as soon as Lebron dunks next year, no one will care. People will get over it. He will lose a lot of respect from his peers, especially when he and the Cavs are doing the excessive celebrations, but no one really cares that much. He is a superstar and if he wants to take on 90M dollar contracts and allow himself to be named the King, he must take the criticisms when he messes up.

He compounded the mistake by acting like an oblivious idiot when asked about it. So he has never shaken hands after a loss? If he has, even once then he is a hypocrite. Because that would mean he does not truly believe what he said, but that he is too prideful to admit he was wrong.

I haven't played college or professional sports before but I have played sports before. I don't see how it would matter either way aside from you trying to throw a random insult. I do think what LeBron did was wrong. My whole thing is that there are some people who are trying to make LeBron the devil because of this. I'm just talking about people who are he'll bent on condemning him like he murdered someone. He didn't shake hands. He didn't congratulate. He didn't talk to reporters. That's all. LeBron gets paid, gets attention, gets hype for playing basketball, not for being a good sport.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I am sure Lebron will still be in the top of jerseys sold and he will still be revered and loved. If it is just people like Ducks who will use this ammo non-stop, who cares? The majority of pundits will be status quo.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I haven't played college or professional sports before but I have played sports before. I don't see how it would matter either way aside from you trying to throw a random insult. I do think what LeBron did was wrong. My whole thing is that there are some people who are trying to make LeBron the devil because of this. I'm just talking about people who are he'll bent on condemning him like he murdered someone. He didn't shake hands. He didn't congratulate. He didn't talk to reporters. That's all. LeBron gets paid, gets attention, gets hype for playing basketball, not for being a good sport.

Not an insult at all. It is a credibility issue. You are the only one arguing this for the most part. If you have not played at a high level, you do not understand what it takes to get there and all the hard work it entails.

When you have been through that, you understand that doing what Lebron did was unacceptable. He had a chance to man up, and instead he did not.

Once again, has he ever shaken hands after a loss? If so, he is a hypocrite and it proves he was to prideful to admit he was wrong.

No one at all is acting like he has "murdered" someone, you are taking it way to far. He gets paid to represent the game. The game gives you many things (like all of his wealth), so you do owe respect to your peers.

Who cares about the children, it is his peers to whom he owes an apology. You just do not get it.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I've played sports competitively. And you've misconstrued what I've written if you're arguing that I think what LeBron did was ok. I said it was wrong. I'm saying some people who have been extremely harsh on him should get over it and let it go. Playing competitive sports or not does not change that opinion and it has nothing to do with credibility to have that opinion.

Someone in this thread mentioned his two kids seeing it. LeBron owes no one an apology. If he wants to be an ass, let him be an ass. People worry too much about who athletes are as people. There are assholes in pro sports. Surprise. You watch for their play not their character.

Jacko
06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I've played sports competitively. And you've misconstrued what I've written if you're arguing that I think what LeBron did was ok. I said it was wrong. I'm saying some people who have been extremely harsh on him should get over it and let it go. Playing competitive sports or not does not change that opinion and it has nothing to do with credibility to have that opinion.

Nobody should let it go. Sportsmanship is THE most important message the NBA can send out.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes it does. People who played competitively (and I am not talking just through H.S.) are pissed about it because most would never do such a thing. When you work that hard and you reach a certain level, you deserve respect because of the work you put in to achieve your success. Lebron showed great disrespect by doing what he did.

You are saying you know it was wrong, then you say it is not a big deal. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth. It is a credibility issue because you cannot understand this unless you have been through it. You are more than entitled to have your opinion, but everyone can have an opinion. Is it a valid one, that is the question.

People would have left him alone if he would have apologized, but he messed up again. Why are you not addressing this? You showed your credibility by trying to pawn off Jordan's antics and say Lebron is "keeping it real". To which I replied has he ever congratulated someone after losing? If so, was he a sell out then or a liar now?

JamStone
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Nobody should let it go. Sportsmanship is THE most important message the NBA can send out.

Then perhaps you should stop watching pro sports and stick to little games.

If that's true, there should be no screaming, flexing, chest pounding at all.

Instead of just assessing technical fouls or fines, if a player shows poor sportsmanship just ban them from the league for life. That would be great. The NBa would have two players, Shane Battier and Chauncey Billups playing one on one for 82 games.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM

Instead of just assessing technical fouls or fines, if a player shows poor sportsmanship just ban them from the league for life. That would be great. The NBa would have two players, Shane Battier and Chauncey Billups playing one on one for 82 games.

You missed it again. There is a time and place for bad sportsmanship, that is kind of an unwritten rule. You can do stuff in the game, in the heat of the moment and get away with it.

As soon as that buzzer sounds, you show respect. There are a few times when it is ok not to do it, such as if there was an egregious act by another player. But in Lebron's case, there was no such incident.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes it does. People who played competitively (and I am not talking just through H.S.) are pissed about it because most would never do such a thing. When you work that hard and you reach a certain level, you deserve respect because of the work you put in to achieve your success. Lebron showed great disrespect by doing what he did.

You are saying you know it was wrong, then you say it is not a big deal. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth. It is a credibility issue because you cannot understand this unless you have been through it. You are more than entitled to have your opinion, but everyone can have an opinion. Is it a valid one, that is the question.

People would have left him alone if he would have apologized, but he messed up again. Why are you not addressing this? You showed your credibility by trying to pawn off Jordan's antics and say Lebron is "keeping it real". To which I replied has he ever congratulated someone after losing? If so, was he a sell out then or a liar now?

Swearing is wrong too but I'm not going to demand people to apologize for it. Saying it's wrong and saying it's no big deal is not talking out of both sides of my mouth.

I don't care that LeBron didn't apologize because I don't watch basketball for the players' character. I already know a lot of pro athletes are obnoxious, eogmaniachal assholes. Why ask for an insincere apology? Did Kobe crying and apologizing for adultery make you view him differently? I don't want insincere, disingenuous, image driven apologies. It's pretentious. It's fake. And I don't care enough about who these athletes are as people. I'm a fan of Kobe the playerbut I think he's a huge asshole. I watch because of his play not his personality.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
You missed it again. There is a time and place for bad sportsmanship, that is kind of an unwritten rule. You can do stuff in the game, in the heat of the moment and get away with it.

As soon as that buzzer sounds, you show respect. There are a few times when it is ok not to do it, such as if there was an egregious act by another player. But in Lebron's case, there was no such incident.

Actually you missed it again. It was wrong. I keep saying that. But people need not dwell on it.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Swearing is wrong too but I'm not going to demand people to apologize for it. Saying it's wrong and saying it's no big deal is not talking out of both sides of my mouth.

I don't care that LeBron didn't apologize because I don't watch basketball for the players' character. I already know a lot of pro athletes are obnoxious, eogmaniachal assholes. Why ask for an insincere apology? Did Kobe crying and apologizing for adultery make you view him differently? I don't want insincere, disingenuous, image driven apologies. It's pretentious. It's fake. And I don't care enough about who these athletes are as people. I'm a fan of Kobe the playerbut I think he's a huge asshole. I watch because of his play not his personality.

He does not owe you and I an apology. An apology to appease his fans is one thing that I do not care for either. But he owes the entire Magic team an apology, and that should be sincere.

If he cannot do that, or he has to fake that, then that is what people take issue with. People will get over it (especially the fans), but his peers will continue to lose respect for him if he continues down this path.

He won MVP correct? So you are saying it would have been ok if Kobe and Wade and Dwight said: "I don't see why I have to congratulate Lebron for winning MVP. I lost to him and he got the title, isn't that enough? I do not like losing and I think I am the best player, so why would I congratulate the man who beat me and took my MVP award?"

You still have not answered my question about Lebron ever shaking hands in the NBA after a loss.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Actually you missed it again. It was wrong. I keep saying that. But people need not dwell on it.

You keep saying that, but then your justifications (pointing out other cases) show you really do not think it is a big deal.

I agree to a certain extent, but if he continues to disrespect his peers, it will be a huge deal.

I hate the "he is an athlete, he is paid to play..." argument. You know very well there are such things as honoring the game and being a good sport even though there is not an explicit rule defining it.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 11:14 AM

I did not miss that you said it was wrong. You saying what I highlighted shows that you missed my point about there being a time and place for acceptable bad sportsmanship in the unwritten rules of sports that are played at a high level.

samikeyp
06-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Absolutely.

I would be ok with that as well. Being emotional is fine but too many players take it over the line, IMO.

I would like to see suspensions and higher fines.

ducks
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
what bothers me mostly is not that he did not shake hands
but he left without taking to the media
he should have manned up and said he let the team down in the 2 quarter credit the magic and not let the other players have to address the issue.

Xylus
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I can relate to feeling absolutely shitty after a loss and not wanting to congratulate your opponent. The Magic don't care if Lebron comes up to them after the game, only the media and fans do.

This isn't a big issue, and doesn't lessen my respect for Lebron. He's the best player in the world, whether he shakes Dwight Howard's hand or not.

IronMexican
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I really wish he congratulated the other team. He, nor CP3 did the same thing last year, too. I am a big fan of both of these guys. Hopefully they both shake hands next year.

Lebron4MVP
06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I can relate to feeling absolutely shitty after a loss and not wanting to congratulate your opponent. The Magic don't care if Lebron comes up to them after the game, only the media and fans do.

This isn't a big issue, and doesn't lessen my respect for Lebron. He's the best player in the world, whether he shakes Dwight Howard's hand or not.

:rolleyes
My ass it isnt a big issue. I'm sorry but not doing that is flat out unacceptable. Sportsmanship is a vital part of the game. This just shows Lebron is a nutless coward when it comes to losing. It makes me sick to have say that but it is the truth.

Ghazi
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
I really wish he congratulated the other team. He, nor CP3 did the same thing last year, too. I am a big fan of both of these guys. Hopefully they both shake hands next year.

Cp3 is a BITCH so it's expected of him. :king

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 01:50 PM

"When asked about LeBron’s disappearing act, Howard said he received a congratulatory, late-night e-mail and didn’t sound too vexed.

“I just thought he would have said something to me, or said something to the team. He’s probably upset, probably hurt and understand that, respect it. One day we’ll see each other,” he said, “and I’ll have to wait until then.”

But in the next moment, asked whether he was surprised, Howard barely hesitated.

“Real surprised,” he said."

mytespurs
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
How does he not congratulate Dwight or talk to the press after?
IF kobe pulled that ish yall we would be killing him ...
Anyway Skip Bayless will finally criticize Lebron and he would deserve it ...for one of the few times in his career.

Lebron came up small on the court and off ...he had no problem talking after his "shot"

Agreed. His behavior was deplorable; very immature and selfish. I hope in time he outgrows that and show good sportsmanship in winning & losing.

He didn't have a great game 6 but I wouldn't knock his play overall through this series. He was the main main reason his team was "in it" to an extent.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
You keep saying that, but then your justifications (pointing out other cases) show you really do not think it is a big deal.

I agree to a certain extent, but if he continues to disrespect his peers, it will be a huge deal.

I hate the "he is an athlete, he is paid to play..." argument. You know very well there are such things as honoring the game and being a good sport even though there is not an explicit rule defining it.

When I say something is "not a big deal," of course I do not think it is a big deal. For me, I can say something is wrong but also believe it's not a big deal. How are you not understanding that? Do I need to keep giving you simpler and simpler examples? I think it's wrong to eat candy snacks before dinner because it may spoil your dinner. I do not think it's a big deal. I think it's wrong for fat women to wear bikinis. I do not think it's a big deal.I think it's wrong for Bruno to teabag Eminem. I do not think it's a big deal.

LeBron can do whatever the hell he wants, as long as it's not a crime. He's his own man. You're talking about sportsmanship, manners, and the "honor" of the game. What is this? Etiquette school? He was a punk for not congratulating the Magic and shaking their hands. It's. Not. A. Big. Deal.

I did not miss that you said it was wrong. You saying what I highlighted shows that you missed my point about there being a time and place for acceptable bad sportsmanship in the unwritten rules of sports that are played at a high level.

Shouldn't it also be an unwritten rule for Olympic participants to respect the Olympics and not call it retarded or stupid? Oh, but it was a "good" time and place for Duncan to be a poor sport, right?

People harping on sportsmanship and unwritten rules of conduct is what makes pro sports so fake these days. The business of calling every hard foul a flagrant foul. The fining of players and coaches for the slightest displeasure over officiating. The need for every playoff match-up to have a personal interest story so you can cry about a kid that is the best Nuggets fan ever or how this player or that player hadn't talked to his father in 20 years until this playoffs. Shit like that.

As fans, we're soft. We get butt hurt over every little thing a player says or does. It doesn't even have to be basketball related. It's pathetic. It truly has become more like the WWE than a real sport. OH MY GOD look how LeBron isn't the best guy ever!!! That's absurd!!!! Again, I'm not even a fan of LeBron and I think it gets carried away.

He does not owe you and I an apology. An apology to appease his fans is one thing that I do not care for either. But he owes the entire Magic team an apology, and that should be sincere.

That's the thing. It wouldn't have been sincere. And, that's why it's better that he didn't. I'm sure the Magic players aren't losing sleep over it. And, moreover, if they are upset about it, they're bigger pussies than us fans.

If he cannot do that, or he has to fake that, then that is what people take issue with. People will get over it (especially the fans), but his peers will continue to lose respect for him if he continues down this path.

No they won't. They don't care. Those players that do care are bitchasses.

He won MVP correct? So you are saying it would have been ok if Kobe and Wade and Dwight said: "I don't see why I have to congratulate Lebron for winning MVP. I lost to him and he got the title, isn't that enough? I do not like losing and I think I am the best player, so why would I congratulate the man who beat me and took my MVP award?"

I wouldn't care if any or all three of them thought and said that. Don't you know by now most pro athletes are obnoxiously cocky SOBs? I would think it's funny. I even half expect it from a guy like Kobe. That's part of what irks me about Dwyane Wade. He wouldn't say that even if you knew damn well he thought it. What's the point of being politically correct if it's disingenuous. That's the exact reason why Charles Barkley is so loved as an analyst. Right or wrong, he won't bullshit you. He'll mean what he say and he'll say what he means. But, when he was a player, people criticized him too. Now more people appreciate the fact that he is who he is and doesn't put up a front. And people love him for that. LeBron has a moment of realism instead of putting up a front, and people bash him. Again, I say it's fine to have a problem with what he did, but at this point, just let it go and leave him be about it.

You still have not answered my question about Lebron ever shaking hands in the NBA after a loss.

You should have deducted how I would respond to it from everything I've written already. I don't know for sure, but I would assume LeBron has shaken hands after losing a playoff game before. He most likely has. Ok? So he's a hypocrite. That doesn't change my opinion. He's a sore loser, a punk, and a hypocrite. All things I won't argue if that's what you're claiming. My bottom line is I don't care enough for me to hate on him to the degree some people are. Not all of you in this thread, probably not most of you. But, for those who think that it's this huge ordeal of him disrespecting the Magic and dishonoring the game and losing respect from players around the league and him being a horrible role model for kids, I just think it's too much. I think sentiments like that are born out of some desire to bring him down for whatever reason. He gets overhyped. I agree with that too. But, that's more on ESPN and Nike than on him. Does he allow it to happen? Sure. Pay me $100 million and I'll allow it to happen to me too and I wouldn't give a shit about being a hypocrite or a sore loser.

samikeyp
06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
LeBron can do whatever the hell he wants, as long as it's not a crime. He's his own man. You're talking about sportsmanship, manners, and the "honor" of the game. What is this? Etiquette school? He was a punk for not congratulating the Magic and shaking their hands. It's. Not. A. Big. Deal.

Since when is sportmanship a bad thing?

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
It does change what you are saying Jam "keeping it real" Stone. If you are saying you like the fact he is not being fake by saying the truth, then him shaking hands before proves he is being fake either then or now. Which is it?

You playing dumb and saying it was wrong but not a big deal, Jordan did it and Duncan did it is a fail on your part because although you fail to acknowledge they always shook hands and then were bad sports on their own time, they did it within the "rules", like it or not.

Dwight Howard said he is still waiting for James to say congrats in person. But because you have already said you have not played high level sports it is clear that things like honoring the game and showing respect and sportsmanship do no resonate with you. I cannot give you any other analogies, how can you not understand? Maybe if you were playing Halo 3 online in a tournament and you won, and the other players all dissed you, you would get it.

You may not care, and that is fine, but don't play dumb and act like others (beat writers, pundits, players...) share your opinion when in fact the majority sees something wrong with it.

No one is accusing him of murder like you claim and you are the one making a big deal because you are arguing from a point of ignorance.

It is bitchassness to be dismissive and act like everyone should just spout off whatever they want because at least they would be "keeping it real". Barkley speaks his mind, but he does so with a calculated precision. There is truth to back up his claims. Lebron shaking hands with the Spurs and going into the locker room to talk to Duncan after he lost in the finals, shows that Lebron knows how to act and how he truly is. Now, after the mess up, to say some stupid quote like that shows he is upset and being unprofessional.

But who cares about honoring the game and professionalism and respect.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
No one is crucifying James like you are claiming. You are defending the man from things you are making up in your own mind. No one is rioting or boycotting the James brand.

People are saying it COULD be a problem IF the trend continues, but I have a hunch it will not. Did it rub people the wrong way? Of course. Are they "pussies" like you claim? Nope.

If people used your logic about "keeping it real", the world would be even more messed up than it already is. If I hate someone, I do not need to disrespect them in front of everyone, especially at the office. There is a time and place for everything and there is a time and place to man up and say I was wrong, not make up some b.s. excuse when there is evidence that you thought otherwise in the past. What happened to change his mind all of the sudden? Was he not a competitor or upset in 07?

TheNextGen
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
imo..lebron is a role model..and should act like it.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I am sure Lebron will still be in the top of jerseys sold and he will still be revered and loved. If it is just people like Ducks who will use this ammo non-stop, who cares? The majority of pundits will be status quo.

http://lebrontalk.com/content/images/wallpapers/zoom_lebron3_04.jpg
FAIL!!!

He himself says he is representing the league. He acknowledges his responsibility to send the right message and do things the right way. He has done a fantastic job and this was a minor mess up with regards to his persona and how fans look at him.

My bottom line is I don't care enough for me to hate on him to the degree some people are. Not all of you in this thread, probably not most of you. But, for those who think that it's this huge ordeal of him disrespecting the Magic and dishonoring the game and losing respect from players around the league and him being a horrible role model for kids, I just think it's too much.

But is was worse for him internally in the eyes of his peers. But this does not need defending from you unless people are going way overboard and even you said the majority of people are not, so why are you defending him so fiercely?

JamStone
06-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I like the fact that he wasn't putting up a front this time. That's not defending the action of not shaking hands. That's saying that even though he did something wrong, at least he was being real about it. To me, if now he feels he has to be politically correct all the time and give an insincere apology, that would make it worse. I don't care if he's a hypocrite. I don't care he was a sore loser. I like that in this instance, he wasn't being pretentious. He has plenty of examples of being fake in the public eye. He wasn't here. That's why I think it's fine to the extent that he's not being fake this instance, not the act of being a sore loser. There's a difference.

Jordan shook hands because he was image conscious. That's why it doesn't matter to me that he shook hands. If you don't really want to shake hands, I'd rather you not just for the sake of your sponsors and fan base. Duncan is a good guy, for the vast majority of the time, a good sport. My example of him criticizing the Olympics wasn't to say it's on the same level or to the same degree as what LeBron did. It's to say fans are skewed in their logic when it's a player they like versus a player they don't like. Even if Duncan did the same thing as LeBron and not shook the hands of a team that beat him, not only would there be a huge number of fewer people here criticizing Duncan, but those that actually did would only make a quick note of it and drop it quickly.

Again, I have played sports competitively. Not college or professional. But, again what does that matter? And I don't play computer games at all. No play station, xbox, any of that shit, so I don't know if that was another random crack at me. But, you keep getting twisted. Why are you hell bent about respect for the game? How really big of a deal is "respect for the game" especially when the game is over? You're getting concerned over shit that happens AFTER the game is over, AFTER the final buzzer. "Respect for the game" isn't necessarily about sportsmanship. Respect for the game is playing the game 150% during the game, giving your best effort. To me, that's respecting the game. To me, what happens before or after the game is the soap opera of modern pro sports.

Dwight also already stated that he received a text from LeBron that night. Dwight is being a pussy about it, but I think it's more driven by reporters that probably continue asking him about it. Of course he's not going to get a congratulations in person any time soon. LeBron left Orlando and Dwight is in LA. He got a freaking text. He can shut up about it, and more importantly people can stop asking him about it. Dwight also got pussy hurt over the Nike puppet commercials. They're freaking commercials and Dwight said he thought they were disrespectful. Jeez man, Nike should stop making LeBron shoes altogether before the Catholic Church gets involved.

I never once said people share my opinion. And, that's why I have kept posting it in this thread. I think people who think it's a big deal are morons for thinking so. That's my opinion. Disagree with it, fine. But, you're not going to change my opinion that harping and dwelling on this is stupid. He's not even in the playoffs anymore. Leave him alone. Leave this issue alone.

The "murder" comment is and was an exaggeration, hyperbole. Do I really need to explain that to you as well?

I think it is bitchassness for players to be concerned with what LeBron did or what he failed to do, yes. I didn't say anyone can say whatever the hell they want. LeBron isn't speaking profanities or spewing hatred or anything even semi-serious. All he did was fail to live up to some notion of "sportsmanship" etiquette. Hardly a thing to make a huge production about, IN MY OPINION. And, once again, LeBron being a hypocrite does not change my opinion or my argument. Him being unprofessional, a sore loser, a punk, and every other adjective or insult you want to call him doesn't change the fact that I don't think people should care as much as some do.

Honoring the game is playing the game as hard as you can, as well as you can during the game. That's how a player honors the game.

Professionalism and respect are important, but you should already realize that in today's world, there are fewer and fewer genuinely professional and respectful players in any pro sport. That's what it's become. For every Shane Battier and Derek Jeter and Peyton Manning, there are 500 Terrell Owens and Manny Ramirezes and Ricky Davises. If we as fans worried about those unprofessional and disrespectful players all the time, we would get inundated with pathetic coverage like TO doing sit-ups in his driveway or the Roger Clemens scandal ALL THE TIME. Yes, LeBron is one of the biggest names in the NBA and in all of sports. I understand why people want to focus on it more because it's him. I still think it gets out of hand. I watch sports for sports. The extra stuff is cool and funny and entertaining sometimes. But, people worried about LeBron not shaking hands and not apologizing are way too into the soap opera drama of sports than sports itself.

I didn't care about the Roger Clemens scandal. I turned ESPN off during that whole time. I turned off the TV during Joe Torre's firing and hiring last year. I change the channel every time Brett Favre is in the news. I think all of that sucks. I watch sports for sports. That's why whether or not people agree with me, I think it's stupid to worry about the "disrespectful" actions of a player that is no longer in the playoffs.

angel_luv
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I think it was really lame of Lebron to act the way he did. I think that in this instance he was a poor role model.

But even in that James can be used as an example to kids- an example on how not to behave.
A parent can use James as an example without crucifying James or ruining his image with kids.

If I had kids I would tell them something like:" James was frustrated and acted poorly. But he made a good decision by sending the congratulatory e-mail after he had time to cool down.
So it is best to do the right thing immediately, but if you fail to, make sure to make it right as quickly as possible. "

It was an unbecoming thing James did, but I have seen much worst displays of temper.
Additionally, I have been tempted to be jealous and be a bad sport. More than once I have done stupid things in the heat of the moment, although luckily for me in front of a much smaller audience.

James should have acted better. But plenty of times the same could be said about me.

James deserves the "What a baby!" comments (and will likely get them for the next several weeks) but not to have this long held against him.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
No, quit playing dumb and asking "do I need to explain it". You are saying outlandish shit, that I obviously know is not literal. You are doing it because you are trying to justify your point that I eluded to as invalid.

No one is saying Lebron murdered anyone (hyperbole), you are making it seem like he is being crucified (hyperbole) when he is not.

So Dwight Howard (who was involved in the incident directly), the writers and analysts (who cover the game and have inside access) and the fans on this board, all except for you that see something wrong are pussies? You sound ridiculous and you have no ground to stand on.

Lebron is being fake now, not before. He is being fake now because he knows what everyone but you gets; that he messed up. You may call it what you will when he starts shaking hands again, but that is the real Lebron and a true PROFESSIONAL. It will not be "selling out", that is what he did when he did not shake hands then said that ridiculous quote that everyone but you knows was bull crap.

Playing hard is one part of honoring the game and he has gotten that right. This one time he messed up and people grilled him and rightly so, especially after the Cuban-esque apology. You feel the need to support him and make the issue bigger than it is because you do not feel he should be criticized.

You feel you have to go above and beyond in being the most "neutral basketball fan" by over defending the likes of Kobe and Lebron. Get over it. Sometimes the hate can be annoying, but this time no one is hating blindly, or at least not to the degree you are making it out to be.

Lebron is the one being puss along with you. This NBA players do not need you coming to their rescue.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I think it was really lame of Lebron to act the way he did. I think that in this instance he was a poor role model.

But even in that James can be used as an example to kids- an example on how not to behave.
A parent can use James as an example without crucifying James or ruining his image with kids.

If I had kids I would tell them something like:" James was frustrated and acted poorly. But he made a good decision by sending the congratulatory e-mail after he had time to cool down.
So it is best to do the right thing immediately, but if you fail to, make sure to make it right as quickly as possible. "

It was an unbecoming thing James did, but I have seen much worst displays of temper.
Additionally, I have been tempted to be jealous and be a bad sport. More than once I have done stupid things in the heat of the moment, although luckily for me in front of a much smaller audience.

James should have acted better. But plenty of times the same could be said about me.

James deserves the "What a baby!" comments (and will likely get them for the next several weeks) but not to have this long held against him.

Exactly and that is what everyone but Jamstone understands. He messed up this once, but no one is holding it against him in a malicious manner. If he does the right thing going forward, something he has been known to do, no problem.

There will only be a problem if the trend continues.

samikeyp
06-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Professionalism and respect are important, but you should already realize that in today's world, there are fewer and fewer genuinely professional and respectful players in any pro sport. That's what it's become. For every Shane Battier and Derek Jeter and Peyton Manning, there are 500 Terrell Owens and Manny Ramirezes and Ricky Davises.

I think people do realize it and that's why they don't like it. Also, some fans don't like it but are willing to deal with it if it means a winning team. In a small way, I don't blame those athletes. They have had sunshine blown up their asses since they were 5 years old and no one corrected them when they made their first taunt or gesture and it grew from there.

Just because it is going on, doesn't mean it should or that it has too. But by the time a player gets to the pros, the coaches are either powerless or afraid to do anything.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
No one is crucifying James like you are claiming. You are defending the man from things you are making up in your own mind. No one is rioting or boycotting the James brand.

People are saying it COULD be a problem IF the trend continues, but I have a hunch it will not. Did it rub people the wrong way? Of course. Are they "pussies" like you claim? Nope.

If people used your logic about "keeping it real", the world would be even more messed up than it already is. If I hate someone, I do not need to disrespect them in front of everyone, especially at the office. There is a time and place for everything and there is a time and place to man up and say I was wrong, not make up some b.s. excuse when there is evidence that you thought otherwise in the past. What happened to change his mind all of the sudden? Was he not a competitor or upset in 07?

There are people in this thread that are taking it to the extreme and are criticizing him for this act alone and not whether it becomes a trend. And it's not just ducks. Start from page 1 and you'll see.

As for your comments about "keeping it real," it's not like LeBron said, "Fuck Dwight Howard and those Magic faggots. They aint shit." He didn't. And I'm not suggesting anyone can say anything as long as they are "keeping it real." I'm not defending profanity or hatred or anything even semi-serious. I'm saying that I'm cool with comments that YOU and others feel don't fall in line with "sportsmanship." Come on now. It's not blatant or overt disrespect, especially in LeBron's eyes. If he were saying stuff like I said earlier, it's one thing. LeBron isn't even "hating" the Magic. You got this shit twisted.

LeBron's a hypocrite. I've written that several times and you keep bringing up points that I've addressed. It's more that you're ignoring my main point this whole time. What happens before and after the game is not that much of a huge concern to me. That's soap opera drama. I watch sports for the game. I rarely watch pre games or post games, except for TNT post game and that's for the comedic entertainment. If something after the game is amusing or entertaining, then I'll watch and comment on that.

But this? This should be a non-story. This entire time, I've been criticizing those people who want to continue to make this a big deal. He's out of the playoffs. Why even worry about the actions or non-actions of a player that's no longer in the playoffs? That's been my whole thing. I haven't been arguing that LeBron isn't a sore loser, wasn't wrong, or isn't a hypocrite. I've been arguing that people shouldn't care as much as some do.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Point is simple, Jam is arguing that it is being blown out of proportion when in fact he is the one doing it.

I have not seen any anti-Lebron rallies or major fall outs witht the media. He is getting a few articles and discussions about it. Jam keeps saying that if "Duncan or x player..." would have done it...He keeps making large assumptions and I would be willing to bet that if some random player did it, and people wrote articles about it, Jam would not defend them so vigorously. He feels the need to come to Kobe and Lebron's rescue for some strange reason.

JamStone
06-01-2009, 03:21 PM
I think people do realize it and that's why they don't like it. Also, some fans don't like it but are willing to deal with it if it means a winning team. In a small way, I don't blame those athletes. They have had sunshine blown up their asses since they were 5 years old and no one corrected them when they made their first taunt or gesture and it grew from there.

Just because it is going on, doesn't mean it should or that it has too. But by the time a player gets to the pros, the coaches are either powerless or afraid to do anything.

But what I'm saying is that we as fans worried about it every time, shit wouldn't even be about sports anymore. I know LeBron is a huge sports star and that's why it will get more pub than if it were another athlete. I still think people shouldn't. That's all. Moreover, if people feel compelled to overreact to things, I think people should save it for the really bad stuff.

If LeBron spit on a kid or if he said "fuck Kobe" or if were to give the fans in a road game the middle finger, then I would understand the backlash. This is a case where he didn't shake hands and didn't talk to reporters and didn't make an apology. How egregious is that? Think about it.

If it were LeBron and not Glen Davis who accidentally pushed a kid in the front row, these same people would be condemning LeBron for that too. I just really think people get carried away because they love to see a superstar fall from grace and love to hate. I think it's time to just talk about the Magic and the Lakers.

But, I've obviously done enough talking about this topic myself. So the hypocrite that I am, I better apologize before someone thinks I'm disrespectful or something. Sorry everybody.

This will be my last post on this topic, in this thread...

...probably.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I get what you are saying, but just because he did not cuss does not mean he did not disrespect. I could agree with you maybe on the after the game antics, but he left as soon as the buzzer sounded (maybe before). On national tv.

If you come to shake my hand, and I ignore you and walk off, although I was not cussing or fighting it is still disrespectful.

The quote is what is bothering most I think. You do not have to cuss in order to be blatantly disrespectful. That was blatant disrespect to not acknowledge your opponent who bested you.

My whole thing is that you continue to say people are making this a huge issue and it is not. It is definitely something to monitor and talk about, but there will be no backlash from this.

Why criticize people who cherish things like sportsmanship as long as they are not going overboard? The vast majority are not.

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Oh, and since you said that the above was your last post, and you are obligated not to respond:

I am way better than Jamstone and if that was not true he would post something :lol

I know he said "probably"

The Franchise
06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
It was a sissy move and showed a lack of maturity in my opinion, but it is getting blown way out of proportion by sportswriters. They have turned this simple act of immaturity into a Young And The Restless type of drama.

bostonguy
06-01-2009, 04:06 PM
It was a sissy move and showed a lack of maturity in my opinion, but it is getting blown way out of proportion by sportswriters. They have turned this simple act of immaturity into a Young And The Restless type of drama.

That's how is goes if you are seen as the present and future face of the NBA. They will over praise you while you are on top, and they will blow any negative thing you do way out of proportion.

Warlord23
06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I can see how both sides of the debate have good points. Personally I think if he wants to be a role-model, he needs to act like one.

Also JamStone, Duncan didn't call FIBA retarded. You're mixing up your quotes.

Duncan's quote regarding FIBA was -> "I'm about 95 percent certain my FIBA career is over," Duncan said. "FIBA sucks."" While that may still be considered somewhat unsportsmanlike, he didn't call FIBA retarded, for the record.

The "retarded" quote was in response to Stern's dress code.