PDA

View Full Version : Air Force or Navy?

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
At the end of the summer I will be enlisting in one or the other. I was curious if we have any vets here or knowledgeable people that could give me some insight or first hand experience with one of them.

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Without a single doubt....Air Force.

Of course I'm incredibly biased, but the Air Force has jobs in any number of fields and is the best at taking care of its people (again IMO).

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Without a single doubt....Air Force.

Of course I'm incredibly biased, but the Air Force has jobs in any number of fields and is the best at taking care of its people (again IMO).

I heard the AF puts you in a field that they need, and the Navy lets you choose your job. Accurate at all? I am leaning towards the AF cause living on a boat with 9 out of every 10 people being male is not appealing. Also would not want to join the AF and get stuck on a job I don't like/want.

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 11:18 AM
I heard the AF puts you in a field that they need, and the Navy lets you choose your job. Accurate at all? I am leaning towards the AF cause living on a boat with 9 out of every 10 people being male is not appealing. Also would not want to join the AF and get stuck on a job I don't like/want.

"Needs of the Air Force" is something I heard alot, but it mostly had to do with the "where" part of the job, not the "what" part.

I will say though, that this Air Force differs from the one in past years because it's more expeditionary, meaning deployments are a bigger part of the job. Of course, that depends on what your job series is.

As far as the job is concerned, what do you want to do?

There are a few jobs that are "critical needs" areas, and if you put those down you'll most certainly get them. So if you don't want to be Security Forces, don't put it down.

U.S.A.F.
05-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Navy your stuck with getting stationed in limited naval bases. No Vegas no San Antonio and even the bases you do get stationed at like Hawaii or Philippines? You spend most of the time on the ship. and even if you do get a pass your restricted to go to certain clubs. The food is not that good your limited to what ever can stay on a ship longest.

If you get assigned a training exercise chances are you will be 3 to 6 months at sea with a bunch of horny pissed off no deodorant using sailors.

The air force you get stationed more places but unless your a pilot you get many shitty jobs and its boring to have to ride in the back of a C-130 making sure everything is tied down. But it beats the Navy! :tu

The Marines your fucked! You have like 4 bases to get stationed at and they have restrictions on where you can go. You get yelled at from day one of basic training all the way till your done with your school. You don't get to wear that fancy Blue uniform unless your graduation, getting married, or attending a funeral.
The food is so so.

The Army you get many bases to chose from San Antonio if you go Medical. North Carolina if you join the 82nd Rangers SF Germany , Alaska, and all over The USA. The food is fresh and your not restricted as much when you go out. Look at the river walk during fiesta or NBA finals you only see air force and army people.

Navy and Marines miss out on lots of activities. If you don't want to get stationed over seas then join the airborne your ass will be In North Carolina you can visit myrtle beach on the weekends.
http://www.myrtlebeachvacation4less.com/wp-content/uploads/Myrtle%20Beach%20grand%20strand.jpg

Your only an 8 hour flight from San Antonio, The food comes fresh every other day by semitrailer truck fresh salads and fruit. Unlike the navy boys on that lonely boat.
The best job ever is mail clerk in the army. You get to wake up late and shoot on out to the post office grab a taco and some coffee and sit in your little mail room all day sorting out mail as you listen to your I pod. Mail clerk In Hawaii is what you need to shoot for. :tu

I hope i was of some help!

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
As for my experience, you're getting an officer's perspective (a little different), but I spent A LOT of time around enlisted maintainers and bomb builders.

Regarding what U.S.A.F. said about where to be stationed, there are really some cool places to live and I promise you won't spend a minute on a boat.

Either way you go though, I'm glad to see you're thinking military...it's definitely a rewarding profession.

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I live in central Arkansas (Little Rock area) FYI.

I have no idea what kind of job I want. Maybe you guys could help me with that by what I am interested in.

I don't want to go overseas, and if that is the case I would not have wanted to join in the first place. Not that I don't want to serve my country, I do, it's just I want to do it here. I would prefer to be stationed in Arkansas closer to my family, as we do have a huge base here. (LRAFB)

As far as jobs are concerned I can't say I have any major skills so I don't know. Not really up to par with what jobs there are either as I am going to see a recruiter next month to get more information.

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Navy is not happening for me. I just determined this. :)

U.S.A.F.
05-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Regarding what U.S.A.F. said about where to be stationed, there are really some cool places to live and I promise you won't spend a minute on a boat.

You might have a point I am old school 79 era things where different!

If you talk to the recruiters they can set you up where you go to school and get stationed at or near your hometown. just tell them you want to join but you need to be near your sick Mother etc...The army allows soldiers to change job locations if the Mom is ill.

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
You might have a point I am old school 79 era things where different!

If you talk to the recruiters they can set you up where you go to school and get stationed at or near your hometown. just tell them you want to join but you need to be near your sick Mother etc...The army allows soldiers to change job locations if the Mom is ill.

I'm talking about the Air Force.

And yeah I was planning on saying that anyways. For the fact that it is true. Along with my dad.

JoeChalupa
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
It really depends on what works for you. Personally I'd choose the Navy over the Air Force anyday. You enlist with your choice of school if you qualify. But the USAF has the easier boot camp, if you can call it that.

Bukefal
05-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Army was power before. Nowadays ----> Knowledge = Power

My advice to you: Go to school, study!

KNOWLEDGE = POWER :toast

Re-Animator
05-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Grow a pair and join the....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_L-O37X6d440/R1S7FOYr6HI/AAAAAAAABbE/GuWWvPny99Q/s1600-R/82nd_Airborne_Division_Patch.jpg

http://www.defenselink.mil/afd/photos/1980s/images/82ndAirborne.jpg

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 11:54 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_L-O37X6d440/R1S7FOYr6HI/AAAAAAAABbE/GuWWvPny99Q/s1600-R/82nd_Airborne_Division_Patch.jpg

http://www.defenselink.mil/afd/photos/1980s/images/82ndAirborne.jpg

I'd rather be loading a perfectly good airplane than jumping out of one!

Just kidding.

Captain Koons
05-31-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd rather be loading a perfectly good airplane than jumping out of one!

Just kidding.

:lmao

:flipoff

What ever you do wear a tiny watch just in case you get captured! :tu

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 12:00 PM

:flipoff

What ever you do wear a tiny watch just in case you get captured! :tu

:lol

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm talking about the Air Force.

And yeah I was planning on saying that anyways. For the fact that it is true. Along with my dad.

Where is home?

The Power Hour.
05-31-2009, 12:03 PM
The secret is get a job that you can do outside. I was a dumb ass and went O5 Charlie I got out and no one need a teletype operator who can type 25 words a minute.

All my friends who went 97 tango got cool jobs with AT&T since they knew how to climb telephone poles and figure out all the different color phone lines.

If you want a cool job were your inside the AC all day go as an Xray tech you make boo-koo bucks when you get out. You drive a nice car and chicks dig a man who's penis glows in the dark! :tu

JoeChalupa
05-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Go Navy!

http://militaryvids.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/navy-seal-4.jpg

JoeChalupa
05-31-2009, 12:05 PM
You can gain plenty of knowledge in the Military..knowledge that you won't find at any college. But I agree that education is always an asset.

JoeChalupa
05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
You can gain plenty of knowledge in the Military..knowledge that you won't find at any non-military college. But I agree that education is always an asset.

The Power Hour.
05-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Go Navy!

http://militaryvids.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/navy-seal-4.jpg

This guy spends all day on the PC and loves to eat nachos and Ding dongs you really think he wants to be a Navy seal?

Only 1/2% of Navy are Seals and only 2% of the men who try out actually make it till the end and only one gets picked.

He would have a better chance at Getting Miamiheat to eat Susan Boyle's

scientology
05-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Learn to become a Gynecologist and then move near a collage. :tu

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
JC and Bukefal both make solid points about experience and knowledge with regard to college...I say it's a gut feel that only you'll know.

I actually got an Air Force scholarship to attend college and received my commission through ROTC...not a bad gig at all. But I had buddies that enlisted and say they wouldn't have done it any other way.

Here's a quick reality check though...if you think you're going to escape continuing education by enlisting, think again. Not only do you have your PME (primary military education), but as you ascend in rank it'll be an unwritten rule to start getting your associates (usually through CCAF if Air Force) and probably your bachelors to make Senior NCO.

Education and Training are BIG in this US military.

Col. Sam Daniels
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Why not learn Biotechnology so you can help us here at Cedar Creek?

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Where is home?

Little Rock

CommanderMcBragg
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug2007/CavemanAirForce.jpg

Winston Wolf
05-31-2009, 12:31 PM

Laker Lanny
05-31-2009, 12:33 PM
I call BS w/o pics!

Party Girl
05-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Navy boys party harder and like to go down under!!!

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Little Rock

If you're looking to stay near home, then your life would likely revolve around the workhorse of the USAF...the C-130. But, like any base Little Rock AFB has it's support functions as well.

I guess it just depends what you want to do.

Hooters Girl
05-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Navy boys party harder and like to go down under!!!

But the Air force aims high! :toast

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Little Rock

Matter of fact, I know a prior-enlisted Captain that spent the majority of his career at Little Rock. First as a loader and then as a Logistics Readiness Officer.

I could talk to him about what's there and what's available if you want.

Transporter
05-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Rule #63 If you can't decide already you shouldn't be defending our country!

Howard Cosell.
05-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Just..make.......sure..........you.......wear..... ..the......uni............form.......proud........ ....just...........like............Mohamed........ ...Ali......did.......

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Matter of fact, I know a prior-enlisted Captain that spent the majority of his career at Little Rock. First as a loader and then as a Logistics Readiness Officer.

Sure that sounds good. If you want shoot me a PM. Thanks

Illuminati
05-31-2009, 12:46 PM

You must know many people in the inner circle?

Pick of Destiny
05-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Which ever you pick....it is your desitny!!

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Random question:

What's the rules on wearing your uniform exactly? I have seen AF/Army/Navy/Marines around the public in uniform. Do you have to wear it while you are enlisted and not on base or something? How does that work?

I don't even remember what the AF uni looks like.

Brutalis
Random question:

What's the rules on wearing your uniform exactly? I have seen AF/Army/Navy/Marines around the public in uniform. Do you have to wear it while you are enlisted and not on base or something? How does that work?

Jame Gumb

Don't you get some kind of 3,500 bonus when you sign up?

JoeChalupa
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Random question:

Personally I never wore my uniform off base unless it was necessary. The proper wearing of your uniform is taken seriously in the Marine Corps.

Jesus is my friend!
05-31-2009, 12:55 PM

https://www.tscu.org/pictures/GetHooked.jpg

AFBlue
05-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Random question:

If it's a work day you wear the uniform. Current Air Force policy has you wearing blues on Monday and BDUs/ABUs every other day of the week. Of course, if your job is labor-intensive in nature, you probably hardly ever wear your blues uniform.

And you can wear your uniform off base if you're going to/from home or attending an official function. I'm pretty sure you can't just go parading around in it whenever you feel like...unless you're a recruiter :lol

Brutalis
05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't you get some kind of 3,500 bonus when you sign up?

I heard you get a sign on bonus and another one after you complete basic. I don't know that that is true though.

Jesus is my friend!
05-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I heard you get a sign on bonus and another one after you complete basic. I don't know that that is true though.

You have to sign up for an MOS that they are hurting for.

Alex Jones
05-31-2009, 01:11 PM
The Military is just another tool to get us all to conform to the NWO!

Chef Ramsay
05-31-2009, 01:12 PM
The Navy has the best bloody chow halls in the Military, bar none.

Avitus1
05-31-2009, 01:42 PM
InBXu-iY7cw

B-Boy
05-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Navy Food

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/u010000/u011869.jpg

Army /Air force food

http://www.301fw.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/081004-F-0085B-003.jpg

macdude06
05-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey man if you are going enlisted AF and have any questions let me know..About the jobs, they say its needs of the air force..but u list 7 jobs of what you want to do..and likely to get one of those 7.. from what i hear other branches let u pick..but they give u a list to pick from..it could be cook, plumber,towel boy.. and thats it..Ive been in Since August and i love it.. Im from Texas had my tech school in Ms(never been there.. something different) and now im stationed in Northern California near lake tahoe and sacramento..I love it..traveling for free.. living on base for free..its not bad at all..Im an Air Traffic Controller and love it and have a good shot of being successful out of the military..but any questions let me know

Heath Ledger
05-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Brutalis what is your ASVAB score? There are some very good techincal schools in the Navy if you have a high enough score.

Including

Electronics Technician
Crypo Tech
Nuke
Air Traffic Contorl all of which can make you big bucks when you get out and they all have nice re-enlistment bonuses. I was an electronics technician 2nd class and search and rescue swimmer.

Regarding the Navy food I though it was decent. But all branches have food that is cooked in bulk so the quality tends to go down.

If i were you I would talk to recruiters from both branches to see what opportunities await you based upon your A.S.V.A.B. and go from there.

There will be things you love and hate in both branches. Whatever branch you join you must milk the military for everything they offer you because you are sacrificing a lot by joinging.

Life at sea I thought to be exciting. When you pull into port in some cities there are girls waiting for U.S. sailors to wine dine and 69 them.

duncan228
05-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Best of luck whatever you decide Brutalis. Please be careful, stay safe, and take advantage of every educational opportunity you can. :)

exstatic
05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
AF is a pretty good gig. Basic is a drag, but Tech school is fun after a few weeks where they adjust you to the real world slowly. They put you thru phaseswith more restrictions early, and fewer later, because too many people were showing up at tech school and bombing out from partying too much immediately after basic. As stated by others, try to do well on your tests so you can pick something that will translate into a civilian skill. I started as a computer operator, but after three years you can cross train, and I got my original first choice then of computer programmer, did a couple of hitches to finish my degree and got out to a job in the high 5 figures. They don't have blue suit programmers anymore, because it's cheaper to contract that shit out, but I'm sure you can find something to select that can land you a job in the real world.

tsb2000
05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
I can tell you, no matter which service you join, don't sign up until you get a specific AFSC / MOS code. This is the code of your job. If you pick a job field (ie. civil engineering, you will be driving a street sweeper or shoveling snow, depending on where you are. What the earlier post said about picking a relevant job is great advice- get skills you can use outside of the military (medical, tech, engineering, etc). People who join the Army as infantry get out with no civilian skills. Don't let the recruiters give you that "needs of the Air Force" crap. Tell them if you don't get a specific AFSC, you'll just join another service that will give you one or do something else. If your grades and ASVAB scores are high enough, you'll get what you want. Hope that helps.

Brutalis
06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Ran into a snag. My senior year of high school I was expelled for truancy. I had my credits to graduate but made the ignorant move of thinking I can dick off and not go to class half the time and got kicked out for it. So I was forced into a GED because of it all. I was told yesterday by a friend who went and did his ASVAB last year and he was turned away by the Air Force cause of his GED.

Kinda bummed.

Wild Cobra
06-02-2009, 03:37 PM
At the end of the summer I will be enlisting in one or the other. I was curious if we have any vets here or knowledgeable people that could give me some insight or first hand experience with one of them.
It primarily matters on two things.

1) Do you like living on the sea or not.

2) The field you want to practice.

The Navy, by far, has the best technical programs. You don't find many civilians, if any, on Navy vessels.

The Air Force is has the best quality of life among the services.

Wild Cobra
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM

If you say so. Not many job openings for Rangers, after the service...

If "manliness" is a necessity, then I say grow a pair, and go Army, with a technical field, then apply for Delta Force, or a similar thing like the Navy Seals, or the Air Force equivalent. Get that civilian path job training first! Don't be just a grunt.

Wild Cobra
06-02-2009, 03:45 PM
You can gain plenty of knowledge in the Military..knowledge that you won't find at any college. But I agree that education is always an asset.

Some of the best technical jobs out there look at people with military technical training first...

Wild Cobra
06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I can tell you, no matter which service you join, don't sign up until you get a specific AFSC / MOS code. This is the code of your job. If you pick a job field (ie. civil engineering, you will be driving a street sweeper or shoveling snow, depending on where you are. What the earlier post said about picking a relevant job is great advice- get skills you can use outside of the military (medical, tech, engineering, etc). People who join the Army as infantry get out with no civilian skills. Don't let the recruiters give you that "needs of the Air Force" crap. Tell them if you don't get a specific AFSC, you'll just join another service that will give you one or do something else. If your grades and ASVAB scores are high enough, you'll get what you want. Hope that helps.
^^^ Yes, this is VERY IMPORTANT! ^^^

You will not get any bonuses for the good jobs either. If there's a bonus for it, and you want a good job... Unlikely there will be any bonuses involved!

Wild Cobra
06-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Ran into a snag. My senior year of high school I was expelled for truancy. I had my credits to graduate but made the ignorant move of thinking I can dick off and not go to class half the time and got kicked out for it. So I was forced into a GED because of it all. I was told yesterday by a friend who went and did his ASVAB last year and he was turned away by the Air Force cause of his GED.

Kinda bummed.
If you score high enough on the ASVAB, they will want you, as long as you have that GED. I maxed out all but two areas. I was qualified for anything except a pilot, because I didn't have 20/20.

I'll bet your friend didn't do so well on the ASVAB.

Re-Animator
06-02-2009, 03:59 PM

If "manliness" is a necessity, then I say grow a pair, and go Army, with a technical field, then apply for Delta Force, or a similar thing like the Navy Seals, or the Air Force equivalent. Get that civilian path job training first! Don't be just a grunt.

I wasn't talking about joining for three years to get free collage I was talking about making the Army a career and if your not 82nd Material your just like a Dallas Maverick always an underachiever, second class wannabe.

Don't forget the Airborne has Telecommunications, sat com, and all the other juicy stuff regular army has. Besides the Army allows you to go to collage on their time after you re-enlist.

You can be a doctor,lawyer,Dentist,and still wear the Maroon Beret,:tu

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2297662508_080df480af.jpg?v=0

Wild Cobra
06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I wasn't talking about joining for three years to get free collage I was talking about making the Army a career and if your not 82nd Material your just like a Dallas Maverick always an underachiever, second class wannabe.

Don't forget the Airborne has Telecommunications, sat com, and all the other juicy stuff regular army has. Besides the Army allows you to go to collage on their time after you re-enlist.

You can be a doctor,lawyer,Dentist,and still wear the Maroon Beret,:tu

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2297662508_080df480af.jpg?v=0
This is true, but too often, you cannot commit to college while in a tactical unit.

I guess if that's what you want, then fine. I still prefer like a friend on mine did. Delta Force after getting a great education in a technical field.

I planned to make it a career myself, but when the military was cut back, my job was replaced by civilians, along with two or more tactical brigades being cut. You never know when you might not be able to reenlist, and preparation for the civil world is a must... At least if you're smart!

Who knows, you could end up in a wheelchair. Then what?

BE PREPARED!

Re-Animator
06-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I guess if that's what you want, then fine. I still prefer like a friend on mine did. Delta Force after getting a great education in a technical field.

My dad and his dad was Army,5th and 7th SF I had no choice it was inbred in me. I was lucky to be around when Delta was still in the experimenting stages.I served signal with the 82nd I got to be where the action is, the general never wants to be more than 25 feet from his radio man.We serve to kick ass and take names. and yes we all ended up at wall mart afterwords so you do have a point. :lmao

I didn't read where you said to try and get educated first. That makes a lot of sense the Army has a habit of making you go to school for something they need. You want to be an x-ray tech they want you to go to recondo school and learn to live off bugs for 90 days in the jungle.

The bottom line our educational system in America could be better so kids don't have to join the service,go to Iraq and worried about being shot at just to become a veterinarian.

Wild Cobra
06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I didn't read where you said to try and get educated first. That makes a lot of sense the Army has a habit of making you go to school for something they need. You want to be an x-ray tech they want you to go to recondo school and learn to live off bugs for 90 days in the jungle.

It's best to do so if you can. Still, it's not necessary. Thing is, make sure you are guaranteed the job field you want. Then they can only change it if you fail the school.

The bottom line our educational system in America could be better so kids don't have to join the service,go to Iraq and worried about being shot at just to become a veterinarian.
Very true. It's pretty sad that I had a better education by the 9th or 10th grade than high school graduates do now.

Then the Department of Education for that. Reducing teaching to the lowest common denominator.

Heath Ledger
06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Brutalis,

All four branches hav GED waivers on hold at the moment because they have an influx of people who are trying to get in so they can pick and choose who they want instead of taking criminals to fill the ranks.

That being said the GED programs open and close multiple times a month sometimes a few times in a day. Go talk to a Navy and Chair Force recruiter and see which branch offers you the best opportunity and stay in close contact with your recruiter, each morning he can check on the GED status and notify you immediately to come get your shit done, there are also things he can prep beforehand to make this process smooth for you.

Also you have to take your ASVAB,

Do you have any college credits currently 20 credits or more will basically get you in a couple branches as you are considered a high school graduate with 20 credits. I know this is the Army's policy not sure about the others.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-02-2009, 04:51 PM
swing and a miss

chode_regulator
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Without reading all the posts

Go big or go home. USMC!!

But if i had to do it over again, AF because of the bases. More to be located at and better facilities.
Though you do have the spoiled young kid stereotype to deal with from other services.

Depends on what you want to do and what you want to do after/if you get out. Obviously if you wanted to be a grunt, AF is not the way to go and if you want to be a fighter pilot Army is not the way to go. I know these are extreme and specific examples but it gets my piont across.

Mr Roper
06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
It's best to do so if you can. Still, it's not necessary. Thing is, make sure you are guaranteed the job field you want. Then they can only change it if you fail the school.

Very true. It's pretty sad that I had a better education by the 9th or 10th grade than high school graduates do now.

Then the Department of Education for that. Reducing teaching to the lowest common denominator.

Back in 1979 you didn't even need a GED!

macdude06
06-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Brutalis,

All four branches hav GED waivers on hold at the moment because they have an influx of people who are trying to get in so they can pick and choose who they want instead of taking criminals to fill the ranks.

That being said the GED programs open and close multiple times a month sometimes a few times in a day. Go talk to a Navy and Chair Force recruiter and see which branch offers you the best opportunity and stay in close contact with your recruiter, each morning he can check on the GED status and notify you immediately to come get your shit done, there are also things he can prep beforehand to make this process smooth for you.

Also you have to take your ASVAB,

Do you have any college credits currently 20 credits or more will basically get you in a couple branches as you are considered a high school graduate with 20 credits. I know this is the Army's policy not sure about the others.

I beleive it is 12 college credits...but i heard its different for all regions..its not the same for a texas recruiter and a washington recruiter..

Victor Newman
06-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I had flat feet so I didn't have this option.

chode_regulator
06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I had flat feet so I didn't have this option.

Without reading this whole post, what option?
I have flat feet too and was able to get in the Corps

Clandestino
06-02-2009, 09:40 PM
If you join the Army you get to pick your job as well. Many cool jobs depending on what you like to do. there are over 250 so if you can't find one there, you can't find one anywhere.

Don't rule out trying to go overseas. It will the best time of your life.

Clandestino
06-02-2009, 09:42 PM
As for quality of life, AF is the way to go. Ive been to many bases and they have the best amenities. Army is so so, but it was still a blast

TDMVPDPOY
06-03-2009, 06:56 AM
air navy is good if ur flying jets and shit, cause then you be using them eckies for good use...hahahahah

ididnotnothat
06-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Navy all the way.

LnGrrrR
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM

Active duty USAF, almost 10 years now. Depends on your personality, I guess. AF seems more tech-heavy, and we're pretty laidback. Navy can be laidback too, depends on where you go I guess. Navy almost seems to travel more, especially if you get on a ship.

What job do you plan on doing?

I love my job, personally, and I really enjoy the military.

LnGrrrR
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
"Needs of the Air Force" is something I heard alot, but it mostly had to do with the "where" part of the job, not the "what" part.

I will say though, that this Air Force differs from the one in past years because it's more expeditionary, meaning deployments are a bigger part of the job. Of course, that depends on what your job series is.

As far as the job is concerned, what do you want to do?

There are a few jobs that are "critical needs" areas, and if you put those down you'll most certainly get them. So if you don't want to be Security Forces, don't put it down.

Intel is fun and has a RIDICULOUS bonus right now. I'd go for that.

LnGrrrR
06-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. I live in central Arkansas (Little Rock area) FYI.

I have no idea what kind of job I want. Maybe you guys could help me with that by what I am interested in.

I don't want to go overseas, and if that is the case I would not have wanted to join in the first place. Not that I don't want to serve my country, I do, it's just I want to do it here. I would prefer to be stationed in Arkansas closer to my family, as we do have a huge base here. (LRAFB)

As far as jobs are concerned I can't say I have any major skills so I don't know. Not really up to par with what jobs there are either as I am going to see a recruiter next month to get more information.

I tried going in EOD and failed out. Lots of fun, but a demanding job. (EOD = Explosive Ordnance Disposal, or Bomb Squad.)

I got reclassed into 3C2, Tech Control. We deal with a wide variety of networking equipment, so I'll be relatively set with a job on the outside whenever I get out.

If you're going AF, I'd say to either get an exciting job, or a technical one. Don't go SF or services unless you want to be a cop or hand out towels, respectively.

LnGrrrR
06-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Random question:

At work, you must wear whatever the UOD is (uniform of the day). The old AF uniform was the same as the army, the BDU (battle dress uniform), otherwise known as the green cammies.

The new AF uniform looks like the new Marine and Army digital camo, except ours is a digital tiger stripe. You can find it online.

You'll be wearing your uniform all through basic and through the first part of tech school. Once you get to the 'real' AF, you only have to wear your uniform at work. In fact, you're not allowed to wear your "work" uniform to off-base functions unless approved. (You're allowed to wear your dress blues anywhere off-base.)

LnGrrrR
06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

THe AF equivalent is pararescue or combat control. :)

SpursStalker
06-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Air Force guys are cuties

06-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Go Navy!

Unless you mean the Men's Department of the Navy, you're dead to me.

desflood
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Though you do have the spoiled young kid stereotype to deal with from other services.
Jesus - we had a waiter at Joe's Crab Shack give my husband some sh*t one night because my old man is AF and the waiter is former Army. Luckily he's much more even-tempered than I am and laughed most of it away :lol

I will add my agreement to the multiple posters who mentioned the AF having the highest quality of life. For the most part we've got pretty decent benefits, recreational opportunities and family resources. We have had one or two pretty crappy doctors, but not many complaints otherwise.

chode_regulator
06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I was stationed at Nellis for 2 months for training and the people in the cafeteria clean up after you, for you. I mean you just leave your tray and they take it away for you. Our jaws dropped when we saw that.
AF for quality of life, avoid the Navy like its the plague, don't know much about the army at all. join the corps if you want to be a badass

As far as jobs, the AF has pretty much any job you could probably think of. Think of it this way...the military is self sufficient. by this I mean everything has to be able to be fixed by its own service pretty much. Though their are civilian contractors too.
Do not, and I repeat and cannot stress this enough, DO NOT let the recruiters talk you into a job you dont want to do. I would recomend coming back to this board and asking anyone who is still active AF about the things the recruiters tell you about AF in general and job specificially. Or talk to someone in person who is active. Do not take everything the liars, I mean recruiters, say at face value.

ididnotnothat
06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
My experience in the Navy was great and I thought I had it pretty damn good. Great training and educational opportunities. Nice housing and excellent medical care. No complaints at all. Traveled to places I probably would never have gone to. I'd recommend the Navy but the AF is good too. You get out of it what you put into it.

Re-Animator
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Tonight when your looking at yourself in the mirror , check inside your boxers and see if you can see an outline of where your balls used to be. After you locate them do the right thang! :tu

http://www.bragg.army.mil/82DV/gallery/ABN%20OPS/1%20jumper.jpg

People pay good money to go sky diving your getting paid to Jump! :tu

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/qq.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/82nd_airborne.png

Heath Ledger
06-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Avoid the Navy like the plague? Ignorant fucking post of the day award.

Heath Ledger
06-03-2009, 07:25 PM
By the way he isn't gonna get into the Chair Force they do not take GED's period. In 96 I was first recruited heavily by the air force because of my 93 asvab score only to be told sorry son we don't take GED. So I then joined the Navy as an ET and went in as an E-3.
E-4 right out of A-school.

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 07:59 PM
By the way he isn't gonna get into the Chair Force they do not take GED's period. In 96 I was first recruited heavily by the air force because of my 93 asvab score only to be told sorry son we don't take GED. So I then joined the Navy as an ET and went in as an E-3.
There are always exception to policies that can be made. The GED is not a solid recruitment policy, but the recruiters can only ask and get granted so many exceptions. Score a 97 or better, and there's a good change. You just have to be good enough to be wanted. Sorry, but a 93 isn't high enough for them to work with you. The Air Force has enough people wanting to join, they can be that selective over the other services.

I don't know about now, but the Army worked the same way when I was in. You entered as an E-3 if you had two or more years of college, and received your E-4 upon completion of your schools (or was it a year later?) Works nice, because you can get authorization to live off base as an E-4 and receive the housing allowance rather than living in the barracks.

Heath Ledger
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah because there are so many people who score a 97.... dipshipt. They were practically begging me to join, assuming I had a diploma, they told me I could have any school in the air force (as did the navy) they did not accept them even on waivers period and very seldom ever have because they have done a pretty decent job recruiting over the years and can be selective. Kind of how it is now for all branches. All 4 branches are at 90 percent or more of their recruiting goals for the year which is why all 4 branches have closed GED waivers and most of their criminal waivers. However as I previously stated that is subject to change on a weekly or even daily basis.

If you join the Army right now its 6-9 months before boot camp.

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah because there are so many people who score a 97.... dipshipt. They were practically begging me to join, assuming I had a diploma, they told me I could have any school in the air force (as did the navy) they did not accept them even on waivers period and very seldom ever have because they have done a pretty decent job recruiting over the years and can be selective.
They simply don't want "quitters." they will only take quitters who have exceptional scores. Apparently, they don't even want that any more.

Heath Ledger
06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Before you spew ignorant shit insinuating that I was a quitter Ill let you know I did not drop out of high school, my senior year I was in a school for boys because of circumstances at home beyond my control I was in foster care. The school for boys had school however not some of the classes I needed to fulfill all of my credits, and it was reccomended I get my G.E.D. so that I could start college sooner (which the school paid for). I took one semester of college before deciding to join the Navy.

Feel free to continue with your ignorant insinuations. And a 93 is an exceptional score the last time I looked. The score tops out at 99.
For your reading enjoyment.

Source
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

Air Force

ASVAB Score - Air Force recruits must score at least 36 points the 99-point ASVAB (Note: The "Overall" ASVAB Score is known as the "AFQT Score," or "Armed Forces Qualification Test Score"). Exceptions are made, however, for a handful of high school graduates who can score as low as 31. In actuality, the vast majority (over 70 percent) of those accepted for an Air Force enlistment score 50 or above.

Education - You're more likely to be struck by lightning than enlist in the Air Force without a high school diploma. Even with a GED, the chances are not good. Only about 1/2 of a percent of all Air Force enlistments each year are GED-Holders. To even be considered for one of these very few slots, a GED-holder must score a minimum of 65 on the AFQT. The Air Force allows a higher enlistment rank for recruits with college credit.

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Before you spew ignorant shit insinuating that I was a quitter Ill let you know I did not drop out of high school, my senior year I was in a school for boys because of circumstances at home beyond my control I was in foster care. The school for boys had school however not some of the classes I needed to fulfill all of my credits, and it was reccomended I get my G.E.D. so that I could start college sooner (which the school paid for). I took one semester of college before deciding to join the Navy.

Feel free to continue with your ignorant insinuations. And a 93 is an exceptional score the last time I looked. The score tops out at 99.
For your reading enjoyment.

Source
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

Air Force

ASVAB Score - Air Force recruits must score at least 36 points the 99-point ASVAB (Note: The "Overall" ASVAB Score is known as the "AFQT Score," or "Armed Forces Qualification Test Score"). Exceptions are made, however, for a handful of high school graduates who can score as low as 31. In actuality, the vast majority (over 70 percent) of those accepted for an Air Force enlistment score 50 or above.

Education - You're more likely to be struck by lightning than enlist in the Air Force without a high school diploma. Even with a GED, the chances are not good. Only about 1/2 of a percent of all Air Force enlistments each year are GED-Holders. To even be considered for one of these very few slots, a GED-holder must score a minimum of 65 on the AFQT. The Air Force allows a higher enlistment rank for recruits with college credit.
Wow... I was a bit rude at pointing out the Air Force's perspective, but that's how they think. Looks like you had a good case to present for an exception to policy.

Yes, I know it tops out at 99. I forget my score, but I had remembered I maxed all categories but one. The AFQT is only based on four of the ten test sections. The AFQT score uses a table based on AR + MK + (2 x VE), where VE is the combined raw scores of PC and WK.

Here's the ASVAB example from wiki, for reference:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/military/Asvab_test_score_report.jpg

Some day, I'll request my records. I'm curious now. Maybe I scored a 99. Right now, I have too small of a place for everything I already have.

Heath Ledger
06-03-2009, 11:15 PM
My AFQT Percentile Score was 93, if you maxed out your score would be reflected in that score. 80 is still a damn good score making you elligible for most schools in any branch pending any clearances you might need.

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 11:22 PM
My AFQT Percentile Score was 93, if you maxed out your score would be reflected in that score. 80 is still a damn good score making you elligible for most schools in any branch pending any clearances you might need.
I'm not disagreeing with that at all. 70 is a good score too. If the Air Force is only allowing 0.5% with GED's, that's their business, and I say with almost certainty that it's because unless they otherwise know better, they see it as a 'quitter' attitude if you don't finish high school. They would love to have all Category I enlistees if they could, I bet.

I took my test when President Carter was in office...

JoeChalupa
06-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Semper Fi!!

LnGrrrR
06-04-2009, 10:02 AM

The Navy promotes people so quick... crazy lol

LnGrrrR
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
<--- scored a 99 overall

Which is weird, because I'm not sure how it calculated my scores, which were

Mechanical - 93
Admin - 99
General - 99
Electrical - 80

Not sure quite how that works out to 99. *shrug*

They pretty much gave me the book and said pick what you want to do. Originally was going to be Air Traffic Control until I realized I had to wait a few months since I was 17 (they only allow 18 yr olds into that job.)

Then they said, "What about blowing stuff up?" I went EOD and failed out about haflway through; got reclassed into this job (Tech Control).

angrydude
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
AIR FORCE dude. They pay for your housing.

In the navy you'd have to spend like 3 months at sea (or something, I forget) every year no matter what. Lame.

Heath Ledger
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
All branches pay for your housing quit spreading misinformation. Unless he gets some college courses it will be hard for him to get in any branch at the moment. Deployements at sea are 6 months sometimes a bit longer, plus there training missions at sea that can be a few days to a few weeks at a time.

CommanderMcBragg
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Indubitably. They all pay for housing. I never paid a penny for housing from the time I enlisted under Washington and fought in every major confict since. Each branch of the military has their own good and not so good points. Just serving is what counts.

Mijo
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
AIR FORCE dude. They pay for your housing.

In the Navy you'd have to spend like 3 months at sea (or something, I forget) every year no matter what. Lame. If you are stationed on a ship that is accurate but it wouldn't be 3 months at once. But that is soley contigent upon your rate. Every rate has a sea/shore roatation and that roatation varies. For example a sea going rate like a Hull Technician is going to spend a lot more time out to sea than say a Yeomen. The higher you score on the ASVAB, the more opportunities you have.

I've been out since 2000 but as far as I know the Navy is the only Armed Forces service that promotes its members by administering a Navy wide exam. So basically you are competeting for a promotion with however many other people with time in grade in your specific job rating in the Navy. Provided you maintain a good eval and study for the test you are in charge of your own destiny. The only drawback is that if you happen to have a popular or well staffed rate, the competition can be tough.

AFBlue
06-05-2009, 01:15 PM
If you are stationed on a ship that is accurate but it wouldn't be 3 months at once. But that is soley contigent upon your rate. Every rate has a sea/shore roatation and that roatation varies. For example a sea going rate like a Hull Technician is going to spend a lot more time out to sea than say a Yeomen. The higher you score on the ASVAB, the more opportunities you have.

I've been out since 2000 but as far as I know the Navy is the only Armed Forces service that promotes its members by administering a Navy wide exam. So basically you are competeting for a promotion with however many other people with time in grade in your specific job rating in the Navy. Provided you maintain a good eval and study for the test you are in charge of your own destiny. The only drawback is that if you happen to have a popular or well staffed rate, the competition can be tough.

Navy is not the only military service whose members test to enter the next higher grade.

AFBlue
06-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Based on the OPs follow-on posts, it's pretty apparent that the Air Force is the way he should go. He would like to stay close to home, and there's an AFB right in town. He also said he didn't want to be at sea, which is a non-issue if he joins the Air Force.

Unfortunately, he has to jump the GED hurdle and talk with the recruiter to see if he can be waived for eligibility. Good luck Brutalis!

Laker Lanny
06-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I remember Brutalis having many smack offs with mouse and he would call mouse an uneducated long haired hippy and all this time Brutalis only had a GED?

Biernutz
06-05-2009, 05:48 PM
If you are single and like to party --Navy all the way. I had the best time ---See the World.....

Wild Cobra
06-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I remember Brutalis having many smack offs with mouse and he would call mouse an uneducated long haired hippy and all this time Brutalis only had a GED?

Having only a GED doesn't mean a lack of intelligence. I wanted to quit High School so many times. Not because it was hard, but because it was too easy for me and I was always bored in class.

Blue Jew
06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I hate the letters GED its like STD it makes VD sound worst than it really is. A GED is good the only reason it got a bad name was from many business's that would ask you on the application if you had high school diploma or GED like it was something girls get when they have to drop out. They should never call it a GED just give the student their diploma after they pass the course. In fact some students were real smart and went for the GED while they was still a Junior in high school they could graduate early.

Brutalis
06-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Brutalis,

:depressed

Fact is they are not taking GED apps at all. Doesn't matter that I didn't drop out or that I have a clean record or anything really. I do not have college credit either. Also, I would as you stated have to score a 65 minimum on the ASVAB. Which I could do but again it does not matter.

I suppose I could check with the National Guard. Not really helping my mood out any but the Army seems out of the question even though they are accepting. I heard funding for the NG even the Air and Coast Guard is getting bad though and my main goal out of this is school. I need to inquire some info about that whole subject.

Otherwise I need to look into some government grants somehow. I want to go to school.

macdude06
06-06-2009, 01:25 PM
:depressed

Fact is they are not taking GED apps at all. Doesn't matter that I didn't drop out or that I have a clean record or anything really. I do not have college credit either. Also, I would as you stated have to score a 65 minimum on the ASVAB. Which I could do but again it does not matter.

I suppose I could check with the National Guard. Not really helping my mood out any but the Army seems out of the question even though they are accepting. I heard funding for the NG even the Air and Coast Guard is getting bad though and my main goal out of this is school. I need to inquire some info about that whole subject.

Otherwise I need to look into some government grants somehow. I want to go to school.

You Can always pay the 70$ each and Clep Tests...4 cleps should equal 12 credits...but it will set u back around 300$ and my friend is a recruiter...just because one city isnt accepting GED waivers doenst mean another one isnt..We had a guy come to san antonio and got denied bc of his GED so he drove to Dallas and got accepted...so its out there..Each zone gets so many per month..or quarter..not sure..so if little rock uses all theres...go to an area where there isnt to many people a few hours from little rock and to a different zone