PDA

View Full Version : Jameer Nelson to return for NBA Finals?

xtremesteven33
05-31-2009, 11:43 AM
The Magic are so encouraged by Jameer Nelson's rehabilitation from shoulder surgery that they are expected to reevaluate his availability for the NBA Finals.
Nelson had surgery on February 19th and would obviously be rusty, but as team president Bob Vander Weide said, "The chance to get an All-Star point guard on the floor for 15 minutes a game -- you'd have to look at that." Vander Weide wants Nelson to take another MRI and consult with doctors, at which point we should get another update. May. 30 - 11:51 pm et
Source: Orlando Sentinel

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1060&line=115858&spln=1

pauls931
05-31-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't think it would be a wise move at this point since he hasn't played a real game for some time. Unless they bring him of the bench with limitted minutes.

xtremesteven33
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
I think he does attempt a comeback. Coming off the bench couldnt hurt this team right now.

Donnie Hathaway
05-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Idk...its a win/win since Rafer aka Skip to my lou..is just killin them boys

BruceBowenFan
05-31-2009, 11:52 AM
i think he does attempt a comeback. Coming off the bench couldnt hurt this team right now.

+1

KSeal
05-31-2009, 11:58 AM
He said last night on TNT that he's just hoping to be ready for pre season next year. He ain't playing. Sorry folks.

JamStone
05-31-2009, 12:03 PM
I think it's worth a shot, especially since it would most likely be him coming in as a back-up PG for short minutes. If he doesn't play well you don't play him again, and the worst thing that happens is they lose in LA. They could do that without playing him just as easily. It's not like he would be replacing a superstar anyway. It's just Anthony Johnson, although AJ hasn't been that bad.

baseline bum
05-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't think it would be a wise move at this point since he hasn't played a real game for some time. Unless they bring him of the bench with limitted minutes.

Yeah, I wouldn't let him take Alston's minutes, but it's worth a try for him to get Anthony Johnson's playing time if he feels healthy.

lefty
05-31-2009, 12:42 PM
He said last night on TNT that he's just hoping to be ready for pre season next year. He ain't playing. Sorry folks.

Good news.

I don't want them to rush his comeback, as Magic have a good chance to knock L.A out

Allanon
05-31-2009, 12:49 PM

Whew! Jameer was the Magic's leading scorer vs the Lakers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Magic-Lakers-090531

One, Jameer Nelson was the leading scorer for Orlando in both games, torching the Lakers for a total of 55 points. He was another one of those quick point guards who have torn up L.A. throughout the season. But Nelson suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in February and won't be around to exploit the Lakers' biggest weakness. Midseason pickup Rafer Alston has had some effective games during the playoffs, but he won't lead the Magic in scoring this series.

KSeal
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Good news.

I don't want them to rush his comeback, as Magic have a good chance to knock L.A out

Well being that he was their leading scorer in both wins vs. LA this year that they won by a combined 9 points they could obviously use him. But even if he comes back he won't be dropping 27 points a game like he was vs. LA so w/e.

Indazone
05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Why mess up the team chemistry now by bringing back a rusty Jameer. This current team just eliminated the Cavs. I'm sure they bring the same matchup issues to the Lakers and they did to the Cavs.

baseline bum
05-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Why mess up the team chemistry now by bringing back a rusty Jameer. This current team just eliminated the Cavs. I'm sure they bring the same matchup issues to the Lakers and they did to the Cavs.

LA matches up so much better than Cleveland does against Orlando. They have a young bigman in Bynum to throw on Howard, two long SFs in Odom and Ariza to chase Turkoglu and Lewis on the perimeter, Kobe Bryant who ensures Courtney Lee won't be playing against someone 6'3", not to mention Gasol. LA has tons of depth and isn't the one man show Cleveland is. Orlando's only chance is to go apeshit from the three-point line the entire series.

Indazone
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Orlando is much like the Rockets and the Magic are completely healthy.

iggypop123
05-31-2009, 03:15 PM
remmeber ariza trying to come back last year. disaster. i dont even think he was in shape. he needs to shoot. one screen and his season could be over again. i wouldnt risk it

Allanon
05-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Orlando is much like the Rockets and the Magic are completely healthy.

There are very good similarities between the Rockets and Magic.

Bad part of the matchup, Aaron Brooks aka Jameer Nelson.

MambaJuice2408
05-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I think Jameer not playing will be a reason why the Lakers win the chip this year.

It's sad but the more healthier team wins the series usually. Last year the Celts beat a Lakers team without Bynum and a fully healthy Ariza. Magic are still playing great tho but Jameer was a big reason why the won both games this year

KSeal
05-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Where's the Kobe stopper defensive tandem?

Where's the Speedy PG?

Magic have two SF's at forward spot. Rockets don't.

I agree, comparing Houston and Orlando is a reach by someone hoping the Lakers struggle.

MambaJuice2408
05-31-2009, 03:59 PM
If the Lakers are smart they will take advantage of the Magic lack of size down low. Ultimately thats what determines series. I'm hoping the Lakers size up front (although soft) will be too much for Dwight. I don't think Bynum should start in this series because Odom should be in there to chase Lewis around defensively and post him up on the other end. That would be a HUGE advantage if he can exploit it.

I'm hoping Kobe doesn't play roamer defense, seeing as how all the Magic perimeter players shoot lights out. If he does Pietrus will have a field day. I'm also hoping Courtney Lee realizes he's a rookie and plays like one. That would be one less x-factor to worry about.

I actually think Fisher has a decent chance to stay in front of Rafer since they are both up there in age, but also because Turk did most of the penetration last series. But I wouldn't put it past Fisher to prove me wrong.

Ultimately, I think the defense on Lewis and Turkoglu will determine the series, also how much Pietrus can contribute. That dude played like a man. I thought he played admirable D on Lebron, even tho the stats don't prove it (Lebron avg something like 42,7 and 7), and he was knocking down daggers on the other end. Quite scary if your a Laker fan.

Luckily we have offensive post players that can make Dwight Howard play D and tire him out some. This series should not be like last years Finals and we won't get pushed around because Orlando doesn't really have any enforcers other than Dwight. Laker's big men should have a good series, especially at the four spot because Lewis isn't a natural 4 and the Lakers have good offense at that position.

Indazone
05-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Where's the Kobe stopper defensive tandem?

Where's the Speedy PG?

Magic have two SF's at forward spot. Rockets don't.

If you don't think the Magic can't play defense you're sadly mistaken. This is a Van Gundy Team. Defense is cornerstone to the team. If you really want, this Magic team is like the last Rockets team JVG coached but with better athletes.

DrHouse
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't think anyone is saying the Magic CAN'T play defense.

The question is who do they have to throw at Kobe? Courtney Lee, Hedo, Lewis, and Pietrus are all decent defenders but I'm not sure you can put any of those guys up there with Artest/Battier, Posey/Pierce, Prince/Hamilton, or any of the other quality defenders Kobe has gone up against in his career.

The key for LAL is Gasol. He has to be assertive in the post and force the issue there. I want to see him play like he did in Game 6 against DEN all series long. When the Lakers go into the paint and run their offense inside-out, they are incredibly difficult to stop.

KSeal
05-31-2009, 05:01 PM
The Magic aren't a great defensive team, especially when Howard is on the bench.

pauls931
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't think anyone is saying the Magic CAN'T play defense.

The question is who do they have to throw at Kobe? Courtney Lee, Hedo, Lewis, and Pietrus are all decent defenders but I'm not sure you can put any of those guys up there with Artest/Battier, Posey/Pierce, Prince/Hamilton, or any of the other quality defenders Kobe has gone up against in his career.

The key for LAL is Gasol. He has to be assertive in the post and force the issue there. I want to see him play like he did in Game 6 against DEN all series long. When the Lakers go into the paint and run their offense inside-out, they are incredibly difficult to stop.

I think if you can deal with lebron, kobe's not that much of a step up. The problem will be Gasol and the inside guys.

Findog
05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Who is Gasol supposed to guard?

Ghazi
05-31-2009, 05:09 PM
The Magic aren't a great defensive team, especially when Howard is on the bench.

Best defensive rating in the league...

sook
05-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Best defensive rating in the league...

The rockets are a better defensive team than the magic. Not proven statistically because they didn't get t heir defensive lineup till after AS break, when they had both Artest and Battier in the starting lineup consistently.

Spur-Addict
05-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Who is Gasol supposed to guard?

That goes both ways. Although Rashard may be able to do a decent job. We'll see.

05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
of course the magic coaching staff and management will want to keep nelson's return status "unlikely." but i remember some articles saying that nelson could be back as early as the cavs series so that means nelson is already working out and rehabilitating. i think the magic knows that they need nelson to defeat the lakers and having him come off the bench is still better than anthony johnson. nelson just needs to get in there, make some shots and not turn the ball over.

xtremesteven33
05-31-2009, 06:04 PM
If Jameer Nelson comes back right now all rusty, I say Lakers still win but in 7 games....Had he never been injured, i would pick the Magic in 6.

MambaJuice2408
05-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Lakers inside game will prove too much for one man, Dwight Howard, to control. Lakers have better equipped stay with their perimeter players on 3's. Best possible finals matchup in terms of physicality for the Lakers. Other than Howard they have no one to bang really.

Bukefal
05-31-2009, 07:09 PM
It would be cool, they could use him for even if its for just some minutes. But then again, he should not force it, thats bad.

EricB
05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Jameer if he can contribute could be the difference maker in helping the Magic win the championship.

Indazone
05-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Just saying Jameer will be back forces Phil Jackson to prepare for him. LOL

BTW, he's not coming back.

Armando
05-31-2009, 08:51 PM
He ain't coming back. That is just a smokescreen to throw off the Lakers and force them to prepare for Nelson. SVG is a Riley disciple.

DrHouse
05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah but the Rockets team the Lakers just bearly got by was not even close to a good defensive team. Not because they were bad defensivley but because they were hurt. I mean really Chuck Hays was their starting center. Had Dikembe been active the Rockets would have beaten the Lakers. had both Yao and Dikembe been active the Rockets would have won in 6.

No. The Lakers matchup better with the Rockets when Yao Ming is playing.

It's the small ball, uptempo, fast-paced game that kills the Lakers.

NewJerSpur
05-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't risk it. Rafer's been playing well up to this point and is developing good chemistry with Howard and the rest of the team. Chancing it might end up being more of a hinderance than a help.

Allanon
05-31-2009, 10:28 PM
CIA Ron Jeremy.

crc21209
05-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Jameer Nelson off the bench > Anthony Johnson.

Ice009
06-01-2009, 12:26 AM

What if he was just saying that and he is further along than expected?

KSeal
06-01-2009, 01:26 AM
What if he was just saying that and he is further along than expected?

Then he'll play 10 minutes off the bench and the Lakers still should be able to beat this Orlando team.

NewJerSpur
06-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Then he'll play 10 minutes off the bench and the Lakers still should be able to beat this Orlando team.

I can see the confidence is starting to surface in La La land.

IronMexican
06-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Even if he did come back, I'd think he hurts them more than helps them right now.

KSeal
06-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I can see the confidence is starting to surface in La La land.

:lol No, I know this Orlando team is scary, my point is he isn't going to contribute very much to this team even if he comes back. I just can't imagine him being the difference, the guy has been out for 3 months and would probably hurt their chemistry. The Lakers should be the favorites going in and if Nelson plays it shouldn't affect that too much imo.

IronMexican
06-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Holy shit sons. Check out my VB.

NewJerSpur
06-01-2009, 01:42 AM
:lol No, I know this Orlando team is scary, my point is he isn't going to contribute very much to this team even if he comes back. I just can't imagine him being the difference, the guy has been out for 3 months and would probably hurt their chemistry. The Lakers should be the favorites going in and if Nelson plays it shouldn't affect that too much imo.

Makes sense when you put it that way. Like you and IM, I don't really see the benefit of him playing at this stage in the game. I think you ride the momentum of the guys that got you this far in the postseason and don't risk further damage to his shoulder or his rust messing up team chemistry....especially with how they came together against Cleveland. In fact, he might play a little bit tentative because of the shoulder rather than at the All-Star level he played at before going out.

Showtime24 LAKERS
06-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Hahaha I hope he does. Getting a guy in game shape and effective after having been out for months and with the team having in the meanwhile acquired a whole different chemistry is not a great idea for Orlando, but would be an advantage for us! So, if they are really that dumb, then I wholeheartedly commend them for being that dumb...

Either way the Lakers are good enough to beat the Magic with or without Jameer.

endrity
06-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Not even close son. The have to match up with us, not us with them.

What??? What exacatly makes the Lakers so special that they are definetely the ones who are gonna force Orlando's hand and not the other way around??? If Howard will get either Bynum or Pau in foul trobule, and he definetely can do that, than the Lakers will be playing Odom off the bench even more; which is something that Phil seems to prefer anyway. And as good as Odom is, Lewis is almost the same type of player but simply better.

And even if Odom doesn't play big minutes, Pau v. Lewis is certainly not a clear cut issue. Both will force each other out of their comfort zones, and there is no way of predicting how that turns out.

IMO this is what decides the series; Kobe will get his, so will Howard, and so will Turkoglu (he was scoring over LeBron, he will score against Ariza, don't even bring it up). But how the power forward battle turns out is the big mystery going in, and therefore the one which more likely to tip the balance one way or the other.

06-01-2009, 03:49 AM
to say nelson would ruin the magic's chemistry is laughable. nelson and howard were drafted in the same year and 2004 was the same year the magic signed turkoglu. these guys have been playing together for five years. magic was also playing like a championship contender before nelson went down. it would be the equivalent of saying ginobili's return would ruin the spurs' chemistry even though ginobili, duncan, and parker have played together for 5-6 years.

Ice009
06-01-2009, 04:27 AM
to say nelson would ruin the magic's chemistry is laughable. nelson and howard were drafted in the same year and 2004 was the same year the magic signed turkoglu. these guys have been playing together for five years. magic was also playing like a championship contender before nelson went down. it would be the equivalent of saying ginobili's return would ruin the spurs' chemistry even though ginobili, duncan, and parker have played together for 5-6 years.

Good take.

21_Blessings
06-01-2009, 06:50 AM
IMO this is what decides the series; Kobe will get his, so will Howard, and so will Turkoglu (he was scoring over LeBron, he will score against Ariza, don't even bring it up). But how the power forward battle turns out is the big mystery going in, and therefore the one which more likely to tip the balance one way or the other.

Ariza just faced Carmelo Anthony and did a great job on him in games 2-6. He can handle the Turk.

Lebron wasn't always guarding Hedo and he likes to roam for blocks and rebounds so using him as an example won't work in this case.

urunobili
06-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Jameer Nelson off the bench > Anthony Johnson.

:wakeup

SenorSpur
06-01-2009, 10:35 AM

+1

If I'm SVG, I wouldn't risk it - unless, of course, the Magic are getting their asses handed to them.

endrity
06-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Ariza just faced Carmelo Anthony and did a great job on him in games 2-6. He can handle the Turk.

Lebron wasn't always guarding Hedo and he likes to roam for blocks and rebounds so using him as an example won't work in this case.

3-6, after Melo was clearely limping! He owned Ariza and everyone else everyway he wanted in the first two games. GTFO and watch some basketball you troll!

sribb43
06-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Dampier is the reason why Jameer has been out for so long

Y29vuMDxDF8

2Cleva
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
If I'm Phil I remind Bynum to lay anyone's ass down who drives into the paint.

Nelson will just be added to his body count. They can send flowers after the Lakers collect the O'Brien trophy.

duncan228
06-01-2009, 05:09 PM
The latest.

Magic mull possible return of Nelson for finals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txnbafinalsmagic&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Antonio Gonzalez

Jameer Nelson wants to play in the NBA finals. Whether the Orlando Magic will let him remains a mystery.

Nelson said Monday that he has been playing full-court games, participating in contact drills and practicing with the Magic for the first time since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder Feb. 3.

The All-Star guard had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. His rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months.

Magic general manager Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy still expressed doubt Monday whether Nelson could seriously return for the finals. Smith said a quicker recovery and the chance of winning a championship has forced him to at least take a look at Nelson. Game 1 is Thursday night in Los Angeles.

“It’s still no in my mind,” Smith said, adding that the team will explore the idea even if Nelson doesn’t return for Game 1.

Orlando was 2-0 this against the Lakers this season. Nelson was the Orlando’s leading scorer in both those games, averaging 27.5 points. He has been lobbying the Magic for a chance at playing since the playoffs began, with each round the team advances the idea - and the talk - of him returning growing.

But even Nelson admits it will be difficult to convince the training staff and coaches that he isn’t risking future damage.

“A miracle has to happen,” Nelson said.

The Magic had the best record in the NBA in January behind Nelson, who was having a career season. He averaged 16.7 points, 5.4 assists and 3.5 rebounds in 42 games this season.

But their title hopes took a major hit after he was injured. A trade-deadline deal that brought Rafer Alston from Houston largely saved the Magic’s season, allowing the rotation to remain the same and Anthony Johnson to continue to provide solid play as Alston’s backup.

Muser
06-01-2009, 05:11 PM
That Alston trade was one of the best of the season.

duncan228
06-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Magic players: PG Nelson will play in NBA finals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtqLvymHL_JCwb.3mQfteVS8vLYF?slug=ap-nbafinals-jameernelson&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Antonio Gonzalez

Orlando Magic players say Jameer Nelson will play in the NBA finals, even though the All-Star point guard and his coach remain publicly pessimistic.

Nelson participated in a full team practice Tuesday for the first time since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder Feb. 2. While Nelson and coach Stan Van Gundy still said it won’t be determined until game day, players said Nelson looked “terrific” and expect the point guard to be on the court against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Backup point guard Anthony Johnson said, “I expect to see him out there at some point in the series.”

Nelson had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. Nelson’s rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months. Game 1 of the finals is Thursday night in Los Angeles.

KSeal
06-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I hope he plays and now I'm fully expecting it, it will be nice to see him back out on the floor again. But to expect him to actually contribute and be in NBA shape after 4 practices after being out for 4 months is just a stretch IMO. Can't wait for Thursday!!!

IronMexican
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Dwight imitating SVG was classic.

KSeal
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
"Patrick, talk to Dwight, he's not making his Free Throws" LMAO!

duncan228
06-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Updated.

Magic players: PG Nelson will play in NBA finals (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_NBA_FINALS_JAMEER_NELSON?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)
By Antonio Gonzalez

Orlando Magic players say Jameer Nelson will play in the NBA finals, even though the All-Star point guard and his coach remain publicly pessimistic.

Nelson participated in a full team practice Tuesday for the first time since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder Feb. 2. While Nelson and coach Stan Van Gundy still said the point guard's status won't be determined until game day, players said Nelson looked "terrific" and expect him to be on the court against the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I expect to see him out there at some point in the series," backup point guard Anthony Johnson said.

Nelson had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. Nelson's rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months.

Game 1 of the finals is Thursday night in Los Angeles, and healed or not, Nelson wants to play.

"I'm not saying I'm any tougher or stronger than anybody, but I've been known to do some amazing things sometimes," Nelson said Tuesday, again lobbying for playing time.

Magic general manager Otis Smith had repeatedly said Nelson will not play again this season. But he recanted his comments Monday and said a quicker recovery and the chance of winning a championship has forced him to at least take a look at Nelson

"It's still no in my mind," Smith said. "There's a very smidgen of a chance he can play."

That "smidgen" seems to be growing.

Nelson has been playing full-court games and practicing in non-contact drills for the last two weeks. Tuesday, he participated in every drill.

Players said Nelson wasn't in his All-Star form, but even not completely healthy, he was better than most NBA point guards.

"He was terrific," Magic forward Mickael Pietrus said. "Hopefully, he will play and can help us win."

Starting point guard Rafer Alston expressed similar optimism.

"I was going to try to run him ragged out there, but I didn't want to cross him over," Alston said. "He did cross me over a couple times."

The Lakers are preparing as if Nelson will play - and for good reason.

Orlando was 2-0 against Los Angeles this season. Nelson was Orlando's leading scorer in both those games, averaging 27.5 points.

And with the Lakers' troubles guarding point guards in the postseason, they're not taking any chances.

"He's a terrific player. He's really come on a lot in the last year as a player," Lakers coach Phil Jackson. "Someone's got to play that position and we have to match whatever happens there. He has the speed and intelligence to play that position very well for that team."

Nelson has been trying to convince the Magic for a chance at playing since the playoffs began, with each round the team advances the idea - and the talk - of him returning growing.

For the Lakers, Nelson is just one more offensive weapon they have to worry about.

"They add another scorer," Los Angeles' Kobe Bryant said. "They have a team full of them, but he is another player you're going to have to deal with on defense."

The Magic's title hopes seemingly took a major hit after Nelson was injured. A trade-deadline deal that brought Alston from Houston largely saved the Magic's season, allowing the rotation to remain the same and Johnson to continue to provide solid play as Alston's backup.

The Magic are hoping Nelson can only add to that success.

Van Gundy, perhaps trying to keep his coaching strategy a secret, again expressed doubt Tuesday whether Nelson could seriously return for the finals. But he also said that even if Nelson doesn't play in Game 1, he could play later in the series.

"He was OK," Van Gundy said, shrugging his shoulders. "We'll have to wait until and see."

06-02-2009, 07:48 PM
this is kind of interesting. if he has the ability to play 15-20 minutes, this will be pretty big. nelson has torched the lakers in the regular season and proved to be pretty clutch and an effective leader for the magic.

DrHouse
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Nelson, if he comes back, will only came back off the bench.

That means he will go up against Shannon Brown. NOT DEREK FISHER.

Ultimately I don't expect him to be much of a factor. Being out of the game for 4 months and then reinserting yourself in the Finals isn't easy.

Budkin
06-02-2009, 09:33 PM
A dude from one of the local LA radio stations was on one of our local stations today talking about how small, fast guards cause headaches for the Lakers. Why is that?

Ice009
06-02-2009, 10:33 PM
3-6, after Melo was clearely limping! He owned Ariza and everyone else everyway he wanted in the first two games. GTFO and watch some basketball you troll!

Injuries don't matter to Laker fans just ask them about Vujacic shutting down Manu last season in the playoffs. It's the same situation here. Carmelo's injury really had nothing to do with it ;).

That is why most Laker fans suck.

Ice009
06-02-2009, 10:43 PM
A dude from one of the local LA radio stations was on one of our local stations today talking about how small, fast guards cause headaches for the Lakers. Why is that?

I don't know, but Phil Jackson always make TP one of the number 1 priorities to beating the Spurs. That's why TP had to improve his jumper.

La Peace
06-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Hopefully he comes back healthy

ginobili's bald spot
06-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Because DFish can't guard anybody.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2009, 01:48 AM
i think this will be the starting lineups:

Howard vs Gasol
Lewis Vs Odom
Turkoglu vs Ariza
Lee vs Kobe
Alston vs Fisher

NewJerSpur
06-03-2009, 01:53 AM
i think this will be the starting lineups:

Howard vs Gasol
Lewis Vs Odom
Turkoglu vs Ariza
Lee vs Kobe
Alston vs Fisher

Gasol would likely get into foul trouble trying to guard Howard if the Lakers don't double team him or get his lunch handed to him; Pau also presents a tougher matchup for Lewis. For those reasons I think they start Bynum and bring Odom in off the bench. That lineup may be on the floor to end the game, but I don't think it will be there to start for the Lakers.

duncan228
06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Looking "more and more likely" that he plays.

Jameer Nelson: (Shoulder) Returning for Finals? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-ameerelsonhoulderetu&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

Update: Nelson (shoulder) took part in Tuesday’s practice and teammates are convinced he will return for the NBA Finals, the Orlando Sentinel reports. “I’m pretty sure he’s going to be given the benefit of the doubt. I expect him to be out there sometime during the series,” said backup point guard Anthony Johnson.

Recommendation: The final say will come from team officials, but it looks more and more likely that Nelson will make an appearance in the championship series. He was highly effective against the Lakers this season and would give the Magic a big boost.

KSeal
06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Good for Jameer, no way he drops 28 on us every game like he did in the regular season though. I hope not..

Allanon
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Great news for Jameer, Bad news for the Lakers...possibly VERY bad news for the Lakers.

Jameer led the Magic in scoring vs the Lakers ... 55 damn points in just two games.

All we fans can hope for now is 6 months of rust and a Superman performance by Farmar Brown cuz if Jameer's on, he'll burn Fish.

Gino
06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1060&line=115858&spln=1

Probably unwise because he takes away possessions from Dwight Howard.

Plus they made it to the finals without him.

duncan228
06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Magic wait a little longer before Nelson decision (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-magic&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Brian Mahoney

He’s an All-Star, he feels healthy, and he dominated the Lakers during the regular season.

So it seems pretty simple: Jameer Nelson should play in the NBA finals.

It’s not so easy to the Orlando Magic, who still weren’t ready to make a decision Wednesday before practicing for the final time before facing the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 1.

“It’s a tough decision on Jameer either way you go, because I think he is able to play right now,” coach Stan Van Gundy said. “Now, how much he can do, I don’t know.

“We’ll just decide after today if we think playing him gives us a better chance to win than not playing him. It’s really as simple as that, but the decision won’t be easy.”

On the one hand, it should be. Nelson averaged 27.5 points in two victories over the Lakers, expertly utilizing the Magic’s pick-and-roll offense to create lanes to penetrate or step back for 3-pointers.

On the other, can Nelson play anywhere near that well after being out of action since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder on Feb. 2 against Dallas?

“No one knows. He doesn’t even know probably,” Lakers forward Luke Walton said. “You’ve been out as long as he’s been out, obviously if he was playing at the level he was before he got hurt, yeah obviously he would make a difference. But right now, at least until end of Game 1, there’s no way to know that.”

There may not be an answer then, either. Van Gundy, Nelson, general manager Otis Smith, or team medical personnel—Nelson said everyone would take part in the decision—all could decide the point guard simply isn’t healthy enough or have enough stamina to take part in a game.

Or, they could decide it’s not worth the risk to mess with the chemistry of a team that just knocked off Boston and Cleveland—though that one seems unlikely.

“He can’t hurt us,” said Rafer Alston, who replaced Nelson as the starting point guard after a deal before the trade deadline.

Nelson was expected to be off the court until August following surgery on Feb. 19. But he’s regained full range of motion, and began taking part in full-court drills during the Magic’s Eastern Conference finals victory over the Cavaliers.

He said he’ll help the Magic somehow in the finals, even if it’s just offering encouragement from the bench. He’d prefer to do it from the court.

“You just want to play. You never know when you’re going to get back to the finals,” Nelson said. “You want to play, you want to compete with your team, but if I’m not able to, I can’t do it. I’m not going to do anything crazy or anything to jeopardize my future.”

He shot the ball fine and didn’t appear limited during the portion of practice that was open to the media Wednesday, but that all took place in the half court. Running up and down the floor could be different, but Nelson’s teammates seem to believe he should try it.

“We understand that Jameer has been out for a while. He’s rusty, he hasn’t had a lot of experience in playing,” All-Star center Dwight Howard said. “But I think the one thing that he brings to our team is he’s fearless. When he’s playing like that, when he’s playing with no care in the world and he’s not afraid to do anything, then that’s when everybody on the team, they follow behind him.

“I think that would be a great thing about having him back. But I just want to make sure he’s healthy first.”

While Nelson wants to play, he realizes the Magic may not need him, and said he would understand if Van Gundy or Smith told him they believed the team’s chances were better without him. All he wanted was a decision Wednesday night so he could begin his preparation, which he expected to get.

The Magic were one of the NBA’s best with Nelson, and they’ve remained that way without him, so they believe they’ll be fine no matter how much he contributes during the series.

“This team was great with Jameer and continued the level without him,” Alston said. “If he comes back, we’re going to try to be great again with him.”

KSeal
06-04-2009, 12:29 PM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2009/06/no-jameer-for-game-1-and-likely-not-for-rest-of-finals-.html

Jameer has been ruled out for game one.

Indazone
06-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Jameer and Rafer that's a potent 1-2 punch for any NBA team.

kamikazi_player
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Source: Nelson to be active for Magic

LOS ANGELES -- Orlando Magic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=orl) point guard Jameer Nelson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2439) will be activated Thursday for Game 1 of the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lal), but no decision has been made yet on playing time, an NBA source told ESPN's Rachel Nichols.
During the past few days, Magic general manager Otis Smith has told Nichols that the Magic have never been considering whether Nelson would be in the starting lineup. The question is how many minutes Nelson would get coming off the bench.
The All-Star point guard participated in a full team practice Tuesday for the first time since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder Feb. 2. Players said Nelson looked "terrific" during the practice.
"I expect to see him out there at some point in the series," backup point guard Anthony Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=396) said earlier this week.
Nelson had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. His rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months.
"I'm not saying I'm any tougher or stronger than anybody, but I've been known to do some amazing things sometimes," Nelson said Tuesday, as he again lobbied for playing time.
Game 1 is set for a 9 p.m. ET tip.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4231546

Indazone
06-04-2009, 05:20 PM
oh noes!! http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj137/Spurspics/onoz_omg2.gif

xtremesteven33
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
CIA MOP?

haha but really if the Magic can go in there tonight and steal Game 1, I give alot of credit to SVG for leaving the Lakers confused on how to gameplan for the Magic tonight by not letting them know if Nelson will play....

good stuff :tu

xtremesteven33
06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
CIA MOP?

haha but really if the Magic can go in there tonight and steal Game 1, I give alot of credit to SVG for leaving the Lakers confused on how to gameplan for the Magic tonight by not letting them know if Nelson will play....

pauls931
06-04-2009, 05:39 PM
CIA MOP?

I doubt Jackson did anything different. It's not like Nelson would come out guns a blazing. It'll take a couple games for him to get any feel...

crc21209
06-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Hell yeah, Rafer and Jameer 1-2 PG punch.....I like it :tu

Chubyrama
06-04-2009, 06:56 PM
From nba.com

Magic's Nelson to play in Game 1 of Finals
Posted Jun 4 2009 7:47PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Orlando Magic All-Star point guard Jameer Nelson will play in Game 1 of the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Nelson has been sidelined since February after undergoing surgery on his right shoulder. Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said Thursday he isn't sure how much Nelson will play, but will not have him on a "short leash."
Nelson has been working out with the team for weeks and began taking part in fullcourt drills during the Eastern Conference finals.
Nelson averaged 27.5 points in Orlando's two wins over the Lakers during the regular season.