PDA

View Full Version : LeBron Happy In Cleveland Despite Loss

duncan228
05-31-2009, 05:49 PM
He speaks.

Updated, with new headline too.

Despite sting of defeat, James says Cavs on right track (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketnbacavaliersjames&prov=afp&type=lgns)

LeBron happy in Cleveland despite loss (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lebronsfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Tom Withers

National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player LeBron James insisted Sunday that Cleveland were on the right track, despite their painful failure to reach the NBA finals.

James couldn't bring himself to address the media or congratulate the players of the Orlando Magic on Saturday night, after the Magic defeated the Cavs in game six of the Eastern Conference finals to reach the league's championship series.

But as he and teammates gathered for the last team meeting of the season here on Sunday, James tried to put a positive spin on the Cavaliers season.

Cleveland notched the best record in the regular season with 66 victories, won their division and swept to victory in four games in each of their first two playoff series.

Then they ran into the surprising Magic, who had already ousted reigning champions Boston in seven games, and even "King" James's heroics couldn't save them.

"You want to continue to get better, that's all you can ask," said James, whose team lost to Boston in the conference finals last year.

"We got better this season and I feel this team will be better next season. You don't want to take a step backward. I thought we went forward from the Boston series to this year and hopefully we can go forward one more time next year."

James certainly did all he could to take his team one step further.

His buzzer-beating 3-pointer saved Cleveland in game two against Orlando. He had 21 points, 17 in the second half, in game five, a contest that saw him finish with 37 points, 14 rebounds and 12 assists.

Now the big question exercising Cleveland - the club's management, his teammates and Cavs fans - is how this defeat will influence his future with the team.

The Cavaliers can offer him a contract extension in July. He can extend the contract up to four years, or play out his current contract that ends after next season and make a move via free agency. He could also exercise a player option for the 2010-11 season.

"I haven't thought about it just yet," James said. "I'm just going to take time off from basketball and not think about contracts or the game, period, and relax with my family."

James defended his actions in Orlando on Saturday, when he strode off the court - to a smattering of taunts from Magic fans - without congratulating his opponents.

"I just didn't have much to say," said James, who said he had since e-mailed Orlando star Dwight Howard. "One thing about me you've got to understand - it is hard for me to congratulate somebody after just losing to him.

"I'm a winner. That's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you are not going to congratulate them (for) beating you up. That doesn't make sense to me."

JustBlaze
05-31-2009, 05:55 PM
“It’s hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them,” he said. “I’m a winner. It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them. That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a competitor. That’s what I do. It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.”Actually, it is.:lol

Nick, the Nazi
05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them. That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a competitor. That’s what I do. It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.

:rolleyes

Leetonidas
05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a competitor. That’s what I do. It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.

What a fucking faggot. Fuck you LeBron, you pussy.

Leetonidas
05-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Obviously LeBron doesn't know what sportsmanship is.

DeadlyDynasty
05-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Instead of snuffing this LBJ just through more gas on the fire

sook
05-31-2009, 06:09 PM
wow i knew more about sportsmanship when I played in my little YMCA league at age 6 or 7.

"It doesn't make sense to shake someone's hand."- lmao

Whether you can take a loss or not with class is indicative to you being a winner. No matter how pissed of you are, come out and congratulate the opposing team, especially with the cav's stupid fool around pregame antics....they can't even shake someone's hand?

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
05-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I've lost alot of respect for Lecry, If I remember right Kobe did shake hands back in '03 when the Spurs knock them out. Any Spurs fan remember that since you probably watched the ending of that game.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
05-31-2009, 06:15 PM
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/carlos12806/cavsfishing.jpg?t=1243811669

ducks
05-31-2009, 06:16 PM
he emailed that
he knew he is wrong and did not want to say that to someone in person incase they followed it up with a question
what a classes jackass

and he is not a winner he has not won a ring
he is just like barkley and mail,mailman,stockton

Ghazi
05-31-2009, 06:16 PM
James > Parker faggot

ducks
05-31-2009, 06:20 PM
James > Parker faggot

not in class

Strike
05-31-2009, 06:20 PM
James > Parker faggot

:lmao

Still butt-hurt about '05, '06, '07 and '08? :depressed Move on.

Ghazi
05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
ducks is just a FGT

Cry Havoc
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
James is finally showing his true colors. Aside from being a media whore, a ball hogger, he also is a poor sport. Even boxers and mixed martial artists who kick each others ass will shake the hands of their opponent. I hope teams take note of this and never extend a hand shake to this clown as he loses year after year.

Someone should also teach him what progress means. Two years ago they make the finals. Last year they lose in a seventh game to the Celtics, and this year they barely make it to six games with HC to the Magic. Seems someone is going backwards.

This coming from a "lakaluva". Oh, the irony. :lmao

Bukefal
05-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Why you are all saying this? At least he is being honest. He is right.
Do you know what it feels like to lose in the semifinals, meaning you are not going to advance, advance to your dream? to the chance you have been waiting for all season long? Do you guys picture that feeling??!!

Obviously not. Otherwise you would know that that feeling is very hard to cope with, when you are putting everything of you all season long just for that goal, everything you gave. so of course you are feeling like the world is gone, and you dont feel like doing things, talking to the press, put a smile on your face and shaking hands. Instead you want some minute alone, to let it rest and go home, start vacation, overthink of something.

Thats normal, thats what almost everyone would do and i think he did the right thing, just go away silently and speak afterwards.

You all have personal hate against lebron, but dont use this against him, thats BS.

:toast

Nick, the Nazi
05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Thats normal, thats what almost everyone would do and i think he did the right thing

No, it's not and no, he didn't.

flipcritic
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
What a shame. He's still got a lot of growing up to do.

jag
05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Does this guy not have a PR agent?? WTF is he doing right now?

21_Blessings
05-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't really care for Lebron as he has been referring to himself in 3rd person for years now.

But the world raging over Lebron for not shaking hands has to be one of the dumbest things ever. It's hilarious.

Armando
05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Well then if he thinks it makes no sense then why does he do it when the Cavs win series? If you win a series then walk off the floor. He had no trouble staying on the floor after beating Detroit and Atlanta. Call it for what it is a piss poor sport.

Lebron4MVP
05-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Wow Fuck Lebron. As crushed as I am about losing this series, seeing Lebron acting like a fucking coward makes this even worse. I love the guy and I want him here for his entire career, but what he just said is fucked up. You cant defend that. Fuck you Lebron you nutless unhumble son of a bitch. Man up and admit the better team won. As a Cavs fan, I am embarassed about this. :td

SenorSpur
05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Wow Fuck Lebron. As crushed as I am about losing this series, seeing Lebron acting like a fucking coward makes this even worse. I love the guy and I want him here for his entire career, but what he just said is fucked up. You cant defend that. Fuck you Lebron you nutless unhumble son of a bitch. Man up and admit the better team won. As a Cavs fan, I am embarassed about this. :td

Big ups to any Cleveland fan, like you, that, in spite of this series loss, can maintain some perspective on good sportsmanship. I agree with your every word - and I'm not even a Cavs fan. :tu :tu

If LeBron truly considers himself to be a great player and role model and if he really considers himself as a student of NBA history, he should know that this post-game gesture of sportsmanship is as symbolic and traditional as the pre-game handshake. I can't get with his piss-poor excuse-making and feel his acting like the 24 year-old, spoiled brat that he really is.

redzero
05-31-2009, 08:22 PM
The butthurt is immeasurable.

duncan228
05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Article updated in first post.

jag
05-31-2009, 08:26 PM

damn

Capt Bringdown
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
I like LeBron, but I hate the "I'm above the rules because I'm a competitor" meme. Sportsmanship is about sacrifice and discipline, not this kind of marketing/hip hop bollocks.

Kobayagi
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Fuck LeBron. You shake the opponent's hand after the game. No matter if you win or lose. It's that simple.

sook
05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Lebron feasted on a bowl of dog shit when he went home. It was only suiting.

Indazone
05-31-2009, 08:35 PM
This article doens't say he's happy with Cleveland. Thread Title Fail! Also yeah he's a poor sport. He should congratulate the Magic. That's being a good sport.

Even if Lebron came out and said he was happy with the Cavs organization he would be stupid to say he was going to stay. He should do what any sports figure should do. Shop his services around to see what kind of deal he can get.

Armando
05-31-2009, 08:35 PM
This begs the question how did the Cavs managed to sweep the Hawks? Granted the Hawks are no Orlando but they have almost the same matchups. 3 point shooting Bibby,Johnson,Williams. Athletic big men in Horford and Smith. At worst for the Hawks it should have been a 6 game series.

Armando
05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
This article doens't say he's happy with Cleveland. Thread Title Fail! Also yeah he's a poor sport. He should congratulate the Magic. That's being a good sport.

Even if Lebron came out and said he was happy with the Cavs organization he would be stupid to say he was going to stay. He should do what any sports figure should do. Shop his services around to see what kind of deal he can get.

Or keep the pressure on Cleveland to keep making moves with the implied threat he might leave.

jag
05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
This article doens't say he's happy with Cleveland. Thread Title Fail!

That's the title of the article, slick.

Observation Fail!.

Kobayagi
05-31-2009, 08:38 PM
This begs the question how did the Cavs managed to sweep the Hawks? Granted the Hawks are no Orlando but they have almost the same matchups. 3 point shooting Bibby,Johnson,Williams. Athletic big men in Horford and Smith. At worst for the Hawks it should have been a 6 game series.

Injured Williams, injured Horford? Johnson as well..

duncan228
05-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Just for the record:

I usually use the article headline for the threads I post.

The headline of this one was changed when it was updated, it's updated in the first post.

Despite sting of defeat, James says Cavs on right track

350slk
05-31-2009, 08:44 PM
this is the kind of role model that nba wants
puke

Capt Bringdown
05-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Media and advertising has enabled these children. Check out Serena Williams accusing her opponent of cheating - after she won the match!

The best solution is don't watch and don't buy the products they endorse I suppose.

SouthTexasRancher
05-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Lebron is a classLESS twit. Stupid is as stupid does and he picked KG over the greatest Power Forward of all time, Tim Duncan, as his pick for Lebron's team. Lebron is a total screw-up who got what he deserved from the Orlando Magic. It will take years to overcome the stunt he pulled in Orlando. Lebron, grow the fuck up, KID!!!

NewJerSpur
05-31-2009, 11:54 PM

The Hawks offense isn't tough to defend. Not a lot of ball movement....a lot of it is based off winning one-on-one matchups. Josh Smith still believes himself to be a SF at times, but I like Horford.

DrHouse
05-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Of course nobody WANTS to shake the hands of the winner after a tough loss. That's what sportsmanship is all about.

Absolutely embarrassing and unacceptable comment from Lebron. He managed to make himself look like an even bigger dumbass with that comment.

Glad to see Spur fans finally getting off the LBJ bandwagon and realizing this guy is every bit as arrogant as every other superstar in the NBA.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-31-2009, 11:59 PM
^ every bit as arrogant heck he's in the Marbury-Iverson-Amare arrogance class.

NewJerSpur
06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Of course nobody WANTS to shake the hands of the winner after a tough loss. That's what sportsmanship is all about.

Absolutely embarrassing and unacceptable comment from Lebron. He managed to make himself look like an even bigger dumbass with that comment.

Glad to see Spur fans finally getting off the LBJ bandwagon and realizing this guy is every bit as arrogant as every other superstar in the NBA.

I never was on it.

duncan228
06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
...this guy is every bit as arrogant as every other superstar in the NBA.

I know of one NBA superstar who's not the least bit arrogant, and his demeanor on and off the court is part of why I'm such a big fan. It's refreshing. :)

sook
06-01-2009, 12:20 AM
I know of one NBA superstar who's not the least bit arrogant, and his demeanor on and off the court is part of why I'm such a big fan. It's refreshing. :)

Ronald Artest?

I kid I kid :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
man, what a jackass. i lost a bit of respect for this dude. anyhow, i thought it was great foreshadowing on his part in relation to the hat he was wearing at this press conference.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Ronald Artest?

I kid I kid :lol

I'm a fan of Artest because of his "In the Stands" demeanor.

Ghazi
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Dirk isn't arrogant, although he has every right to be since he has THAT RING JEWELRY

Ghazi
06-01-2009, 12:33 PM
NWyetpWh-yc

best MVP mix ever :cry :cry :cry

Basketballgirl25
06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
at least Lebron didn't beat up a bike like Dirk. Walking away not saying anything is better then trying to hurt yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50IKDVpDiM

Ghazi
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Will you shut the FUCK up? Your shtick is runnin on FUMES here!

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-01-2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.nolandgrab.org/LeBronJamesYankeesCap.jpg

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.nolandgrab.org/images/LeBronJayZ.jpg

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
http://lebrontalk.com/content/images/wallpapers/zoom_lebron3_04.jpg
FAIL!!!

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/carlos12806/Where.jpg?t=1243884825

Basketballgirl25
06-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Will you shut the FUCK up? Your shtick is runnin on FUMES here!

Hey, I didn't say anything. Can't blame me for Dirk kicking that bike. I was just saying at least Lebron didn't beat himself up for losing and didn't try to hurt himself by doing something like beat up a object:lol

rasho8
06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Why you are all saying this? At least he is being honest. He is right.
Do you know what it feels like to lose in the semifinals, meaning you are not going to advance, advance to your dream? to the chance you have been waiting for all season long? Do you guys picture that feeling??!!

Obviously not. Otherwise you would know that that feeling is very hard to cope with, when you are putting everything of you all season long just for that goal, everything you gave. so of course you are feeling like the world is gone, and you dont feel like doing things, talking to the press, put a smile on your face and shaking hands. Instead you want some minute alone, to let it rest and go home, start vacation, overthink of something.

Thats normal, thats what almost everyone would do and i think he did the right thing, just go away silently and speak afterwards.

You all have personal hate against lebron, but dont use this against him, thats BS.

He already advanced to his dream... the Spurs swept him out.

And regardless, if you lose something, you stay and congratulate the winner. Always.

ALWAYS.

Thats part of sportsmanshiop, winning with humility and losing with dignity.

Losing like a classless jackass isnt what sports are about. Thats like the Bronze medal winner just walking away in the Olympics and flipping off the gold and silver medalists.

Armando
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I am disappointed the NBA did not fined him. That is a bad example to set. What happens if Kobe or Dwight do that if they lose the Finals? Your the NBA you can't let a player no matter who it is dodge thier obligations.

DrHouse
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
He already advanced to his dream... the Spurs swept him out.

And regardless, if you lose something, you stay and congratulate the winner. Always.

ALWAYS.

Thats part of sportsmanshiop, winning with humility and losing with dignity.

Losing like a classless jackass isnt what sports are about. Thats like the Bronze medal winner just walking away in the Olympics and flipping off the gold and silver medalists.

Budkin
06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't really care for Lebron as he has been referring to himself in 3rd person for years now.

But the world raging over Lebron for not shaking hands has to be one of the dumbest things ever. It's hilarious.

I think the media is more pissed that he wouldn't even show up for the post game.

Armando
06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I think the media is more pissed that he wouldn't even show up for the post game.

He can't have it both ways. If he runs to the podium after the wins he can do the same after losses. Your the face of the team Mo Williams should not be the one taking questions. Carmelo did it after Game 6. Wade did after Game 7 and Kobe did after Game 6 in Boston. You think those guys wanted to do it? No but being the face of thier teams it is thier obligation to do it. Imagine the scorn if Carmelo skip the postgame and Birdman did it instead.