PDA

View Full Version : Has timvp appologized . . .

smeagol
03-29-2005, 06:43 PM
. . . for being wrong about Manu coming off the bench after his groin injury?

Maybe he has and I've missed it.

C'mon LJ, man up and admit you were off with your prediction! :spin

timvp
03-29-2005, 06:48 PM
I apologize.

Although I still think it makes sense. Manu admitted to be tired after playing 37 minutes after the last game and could only play in one-third of the practice today. I'm not so sure how smart it is to wear out a player that is so vital to a playoff run.

Manu can't play more than 30 minutes per game and he knows. To me it'd be better to play him more in the second and fourth quarters, but "benching" Manu would probably cause some sort of world war.

So Pop couldn't pull the trigger.

ALVAREZ6
03-29-2005, 06:51 PM
but "benching" Manu would probably cause some sort of world war.

indeed. :smokin

Kori Ellis
03-29-2005, 06:51 PM
could only play in one-third of the practice today

Yeah that was weird. They didn't even practice yesterday and he couldn't make it through practice today! Pop said it didn't have anything at all to do with his groin --he's just exhausted and "doesn't have much left in his tank".

If they don't scale Manu's minutes back just a little bit right now, he's not going to make it through the postseason.

smeagol
03-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Maybe he can play the first 6 minutes of the 1st Q, most of the 4th Q and 12 to 14 minutes of the 2nd and 3rd Qs randomly depending on who the Spurs are playing against and how the gameflow is developing.

I truly believe not starting Manu could affect his confidence. I know he has done in the past, but he has said many times he did not like it.

EDIT: I meant "not starting Manu" not "benching Manu"

BigVee
03-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Whatever. As long as he is fresh for the last 7-8 minutes of the game. That's where most playoff games are won or lost anyway. If that means only 22 minutes thru the first 3 quarters and a good long rest before he enters in the 4th, so be it.

timvp
03-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Well yeah if it will effect Manu's confidence, I guess you can't do it. Manu probably doesn't want to deal with his countrymen emailing him asking what he did wrong to be benched.

:)

Jimcs50
03-29-2005, 06:58 PM
timvp apologized??????

Alert the press.

:)

Kori Ellis
03-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't think they should bench him. But his body probably can't take many more 37 minute games this season. After the game, he said he was exhausted for about the last 5 minutes. Then he had off yesterday. And then he couldn't handle practice today. That's not good.

Maybe keep him at around 25-27 minutes for the rest of the regular season so that he can last throughout the postseason.

SuBZer0
03-29-2005, 07:03 PM
I still don't buy that his groin injury is not bothering him - I think that it still affects him more than we think. And yes, he should NOT have played 37 minutes last game, and Kori is right; a 26 minute per game average until the playoffs would be smart

ChumpDumper
03-29-2005, 07:10 PM
If Manu can't make it through practice, he should expect and welcome having his minutes cut and/or coming off the bench. There is no shame in it. Are we here to win a championship or asuage the egos of his countrymen?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-29-2005, 07:42 PM
I have to agree with TimVP and Kori, Manu isn't doing too well, and increasing his minutes now wouldn't be smart. I say 25 - 30 minutes at the most 'till the regular season is over.

ShoogarBear
03-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Are we here to win a championship or asuage the egos of his countrymen?
Clearly, the latter . . .

ducks
03-29-2005, 08:21 PM
hope for a few big leads in games where manu can BE BENCHED

ducks
03-29-2005, 08:23 PM
I would not let him play at all in the first quarter
let the other teams starters get tired then put him in
when a player gets tired their passes get lazy and he can steal more passes.

makes no sence to start manu

Mark in Austin
03-29-2005, 09:44 PM
I think the key is Parker. Clearly, he is having a difficult time adjusting his game with Duncan out. If Parker can find the right balance for when to take over and when to run the offense (not an easy skill - Marbary and Francis still haven't figured it out), Manu's minutes could be reduced without much detriment to the team. Without Duncan, we need to be running more motion and less Picknroll. It seems like that is when Parker's decision makeing is weakest right now. (maybe this has already started happening - I didn't get to see the last two games, I've mainly had to judge based on comments here, radio and the recaps / highlights.)

GerM
03-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Thing is, Parker also has stamina issues.

blackbucket
03-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Thing is, Parker also has stamina issues.

Parker has killer instinct issues.

smeagol
03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm all for limiting Manu's minutes and benching him if he is too tired.

I don't agree with Duck's idea though. Although he did it last year, he did not like not starting. No NBA player likes coming off the bench. He can start, play the entire 4th Q and still only play 25 - 28 minutes.

And Shoog, you should know by now that with Manu it will never be about egos.

kskonn
03-30-2005, 01:14 AM
I think if Tim actually comes back the Last five games then Manu should see very limited minutes in those games. get him ready for the playoffs, and let him rest that groin, just in case it is still bothering him.

GoSpurs21
03-30-2005, 04:31 PM
You dont take starting away from Manu, that's just plain fucked up to suggest it. If you want Manu playing fewer minutes, then Pop needs to focus Manu's minutes around start and end of the game, with some at the start of the 3rd quarter. You reduce his minutes not take away his starting status.

The only reason to have Manu off the bench is for a spark. Well guess what happens with no Manu in the starting lineup, NO SPARK at the beginning of the game. Not what I want at all.