PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Jackson Confuses Ideological Order of the Shiavo Case

Spurminator
03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
At least someone's not afraid to cross their usual party lines in this soap opera...

Jesse Jackson Prays With Schiavo's Parents (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050329/D894SE8G0.html)

Mar 29, 4:22 PM (ET)

By MIKE SCHNEIDER

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) - As Terri Schiavo entered her 12th full day without food or water, the Rev. Jesse Jackson prayed with her parents Tuesday and joined conservatives in calling for state lawmakers to order her feeding tube reinserted.

The former Democratic presidential candidate was invited by Schiavo's parents to meet with activists outside Schiavo's hospice. His arrival was greeted by some applause and cries of "This is about civil rights!"

"I feel so passionate about this injustice being done, how unnecessary it is to deny her a feeding tube, water, not even ice to be used for her parched lips," he said. "This is a moral issue and it transcends politics and family disputes."

Jackson's visit provided an emotional boost to Schiavo's parents and siblings, who have maintained that Schiavo would want to be kept alive. Her husband, Michael Schiavo, insists he is carrying out her wishes by having the feeding tube pulled.

"I wanted the Reverend Jackson here for moral support," said Mary Schindler, Terri Schiavo's mother. "I feel good with him here. Very strong. He gives me strength."

Jackson said he asked Michael Schiavo for permission to see the brain-damaged woman but was denied. George Felos, Michael Schiavo's attorney, declined comment.

Jackson also telephoned black legislators in a last-ditch effort to bring back a bill that would prohibit severely brain-damaged patients from being denied food and water if they didn't express their wishes in writing. Lawmakers rejected the legislation earlier this month and appeared unlikely to reconsider it.

One of those contacted by Jackson, Democratic state Sen. Gary Siplin, said he told Jackson the issue had been "thoroughly discussed." Senate Democratic leader Les Miller added, "I have voted. It's time to move on."

Bob Schindler described his daughter as "failing" following his visit Tuesday.

"She still looks pretty darn good under the circumstances," Schindler said. "You can see the impact of no food and water for 12 days. Her bodily functions are still working. We still have her."

During Jackson's visit, a man was tackled to the ground by officers when he tried to storm into the hospice, police said. He became the 47th protester arrested since the feeding tube was removed March 18. The man had two bottles of water with him but did not reach the hospice door, police said.

Doctors have said Terri Schiavo, 41, would probably die within a week or two of the tube being removed. She suffered catastrophic brain damage in 1990 when her heart stopped for several minutes because of a chemical imbalance apparently brought on by an eating disorder.

---

Associated Press Writer Brendan Farrington in Tallahassee contributed to this story.

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 07:33 PM
A lot of democrats have crossed party lines, and all have attempted to use this for politcal gain, just like Jackson.

GoldToe
03-29-2005, 08:55 PM
There are quite a few republicans who have broken party lines and support the fact that this is a personal matter and the government needs to step off.

SpursWoman
03-29-2005, 11:06 PM
A lot of democrats have crossed party lines, and all have attempted to use this for politcal gain, just like Jackson.

Looks like there've been a few quack doctors looking to get a little notoriety for themselves as well. :fro

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Looks like there've been a few quack doctors looking to get a little notoriety for themselves as well. :fro

No shit, everyone trying to make a name or a buck off her life.

Spurminator
03-29-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm no artist, but I'm envisioning a political cartoon depicting hundreds of politicians, reverends, talk show hosts and "advocates," all with their own feeding tubes hooked up to Terri Schiavo.

2centsworth
03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Can't blame Jackson for being tired of losing election after election.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Ok?