PDA

View Full Version : Sean on Instant Replay

ploto
06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I was surprised to find no thread on Sean's comments about the Spurs last night.

Basically, he said that Dallas was more athletic than the Spurs and then Denver was so much more athletic than Dallas- so that the Spurs need to get some younger, more athletic guys. Nothing surprising.

Then, he said that people need to realize it may take these guys some time to learn the system and that the Spurs may not be a contender next year or the year after, but that they need to invest time into young players. Interesting he would admit this publicly.

At the end:
http://www.ksat.com/video/19603046/index.html

DPG21920
06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Everyone knows this, that is why no new thread. Sean is an honest guy and there are no secrets in what he said. It was a good interview for reviewing the Memorial Day Miracle shot, Sean is a cool man.

wildbill2u
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
The problem is the aging of the Big 3. Acknowledging we need to retool with new blood that will take a while to adjust to the system means we won't be competitive for the next few years of Duncan and Manu. Oh, we can make the playoffs, but probably not to the conference finals.

Sean Cagney
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
The problem is the aging of the Big 3. Acknowledging we need to retool with new blood that will take a while to adjust to the system means we won't be competitive for the next few years of Duncan and Manu. Oh, we can make the playoffs, but probably not to the conference finals.

I agree, but this is reality now.

I think they can add some pieces and contend next year IF MANU is 100% and TIM is near 100% late in the year, otherwise forget it.

Russ
06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
The Spurs have a number of ways to go.

Try to bring in experienced talent now to contend. (Very difficult since they need to get younger and more athletic.)

Try to draft and stash Euros. (By the time they come over the Big Three may be less than three.)

Try to play it cheap to keep attendance up for the remaining Duncan era. (The most cynical plan.)

Blow up the team. (Hopefully not yet.)

Unfortunately, none of the above are likely to yield a title. To do that the FO needs to get uncomfortable and scared -- driven by fear of failure. That can do a lot to inspire the brilliant moves that can turn over a roster. Just ask Mitch Kupchak.