Beatles.

desflood
03-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Then: Led Zepplin
Now: 3 Doors Down

ALVAREZ6
03-29-2005, 09:09 PM
3 Doors Down is a good band.

Anyone ever heard of Anberlin? Their music is good, very good guitar player.

If you want to download one of their songs, I'd suggest "Paperthin Hymn"

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Alice In Chains
Sound Garden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Dave Matthews Band
U2
Tool
Oasis
Zepplin
CCR
The Toadies
The Shins
The Who
The Smashing Pumpkins
Stabbing Westward
STP
Radiohead
Interpol
etc etc etc

Spurminator
03-29-2005, 09:16 PM
It varies depending on my mood...

I am immersed in Alison Krauss and Union Station right now... I've listened to something of theirs about every day for the last month.

mookie2001
03-29-2005, 09:55 PM
toadies
from dallas tx
stevie ray vaughn
from dallas tx
pantera
from dallas tx
lightnin hopkins
from houston tx
ugk
from port arthur tx
geto boys
from houston tx
at the drive in /sparta/ marsvolta
from el paso tx
robert earl keen
from houston tx
don walser
from lamesa tx
steven stills
from dallas tx
the jetsuns
from austin tx

jeez i hope i didnt leave anyone out

mookie2001
03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
aw shit
steve earle
from shertz tx
townes van zandt
from dallas tx

Mark in Austin
03-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Before my time: Led Zepplin
Contemporary: U2
right now: I've been listening two a live recording of a show Bob Schnieder played in Greune for about two weeks straight now. That and the Live greatest hits cd.

MannyIsGod
03-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Live had a great first 3 albumns

Mental Jewelry, Throwing Copper, and Secret Samadi were awesome.

After that, not so awesome.

Bod Schnieder is great too.

NameDropper
03-29-2005, 10:40 PM
The Band

Trooper 2112
03-29-2005, 10:47 PM
not in any order,too hard to decide

Iron Maiden
Rush
The Doors
80's Metallica
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Allman Brothers
Alice in Chains
Black Label Society
THe Eagles
Led Zeppelin
Misfits
SRV
EVH
Danzig
Beatles
Billy Idol

AlamoSpursFan
03-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Rush

Reckless Kelly

JoeChalupa
03-29-2005, 10:58 PM
The Beatles
Led Zepplin
Rush
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Van Halen
U2
Boston
The Cars
The J. Geils Band
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Lynyrd Skynrd
BTO
Grand Funk RailRoad
The Doobie Brothers
Journey
Foreigner
The Outfield
The Hooters
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush
Queen
The Police
The Outlaws
Marshall Tucker Band
Little Feat

Trooper 2112
03-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Have you seen any of those bands live, Joe chalupa?

Spurminator
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
toadies
from dallas tx
stevie ray vaughn
from dallas tx
pantera
from dallas tx
lightnin hopkins
from houston tx
ugk
from port arthur tx
geto boys
from houston tx
at the drive in /sparta/ marsvolta
from el paso tx
robert earl keen
from houston tx
don walser
from lamesa tx
steven stills
from dallas tx
the jetsuns
from austin tx

jeez i hope i didnt leave anyone out

Old 97s
Dallas, TX

JoeChalupa
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Have you seen any of those bands live, Joe chalupa?
Quite a few of them.

Back in the day when I could afford a ticket, smoke and possibly a trip to the other side. :smokin

Trooper 2112
03-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Those were the days :lol

Drachen
03-29-2005, 11:09 PM
It is too hard to pick my favorite overall band, but I can tell you that my favorite live band is Mingo Fishtrap from austin texas
followed (distantly) by BOI from here.

mrblonde17
03-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Thin Lizzy
Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
UFO
Fleetwood Mac
Iron Maiden
Coldplay
Rush
Rolling Stones
Cream
Beatles
Van Halen
Styx
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
13th Floor Elevators
Cheap Trick
The Clash

AlamoSpursFan
03-29-2005, 11:26 PM
It is too hard to pick my favorite overall band, but I can tell you that my favorite live band is Mingo Fishtrap from austin texas
followed (distantly) by BOI from here.

If I recall correctly, Mingo Fishtrap will be here for Oyster Bake Saturday night...of course I'll be glued to the Reckless Kelly stage, but if I see you I'll wave!

:lol

Brodels
03-29-2005, 11:35 PM
The brodel is the nazz...

Trooper 2112
03-29-2005, 11:41 PM
San Antonio is like Rick Emmitt and Triumph central. And he knows it. One of the most energetic performances I have ever seen. It was also badass he wore a duncan Jersey last time he came. One of my favorite live bands. My alltime fav live is IRON MAIDEN FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

Trooper 2112
03-29-2005, 11:50 PM
As the years went by, Green DAy got worse. I can't stand thier new shit. It's all I hear everywhere. I loved thefirst album and Dookie though.

Spurminator
03-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Green Day is in their prime right now. American Idiot is one of the best mainstream rock albums of the last ten years.

I think a lot of people are missing out on it because of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" which has been grossly overplayed on the radio and is probably the worst song on the entire album.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2005, 02:02 AM
I agree Spurm. I've only given the entire album a few spins, but all in all it's a great concept album and I think they've gotten better with age.

travis2
03-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Pretty much all over the road...

ABBA
Boston
Chicago
Def Leppard
ELO
Foreigner
Rush
Zebra

xcoriate
03-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Anberlin - No shit Alvarez, got their CDs they kicks ass.

Particually like Ready Fuels and Day Late Friend, ah hell I like pretty much all there stuff.

Good to see not everyone in here loves ghetto rap, commercial rap or R+B. Not that theres anything wrong with it :)

Hmm guess I'll make a list then, however its pretty spontanious, mainly the stuff I'm listening to now however and I'm sure I missed plenty.

NOFX
Rage against the MAchine
The Mars Volta
Rise Against - I watched these guys at the Melbourne Big Day Out. Amazing was in the middle of the Mosh :)
Frenzal Rhomb - Awesome Live, so much better live
AFI
Alkaline Trio
Lawrence Arms
Anti Flag
Jimmy Eat World

This could be long..

System of a Down
Taking Back Sunday
The Used
Saves the Day
The Ramones
Sparta
Thursday
Brand New

and that was the compressed version...

xcoriate
03-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Bah Greenday has gotten worse the glory punk days are next to over for them. Their just commercial rubbish now just like Blink 182 latest stuff, although I will say this at least they stcuk to their political agenda.

Sorry for double post.

ZStomp
03-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Black Label Society
AC/DC
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Godsmack
Elvis Presley

There a number of bands I enjoy but these are on the top of the list.

Guru of Nothing
03-30-2005, 11:00 AM
http://musicmoz.org/img/editors/magne/s_t_david.jpg
http://hugereviews.com/images/Movies/spinal7.jpg
http://www.optimuscrime.com/images/spinal%20tap.jpg

Spurminator
03-30-2005, 11:16 AM
http://img192.exs.cx/img192/8360/mptv12nm.gif

Spurs košarka kultura
03-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Rage against the MAchine

BEST LIVE BAND BAR NONE, THEY USED NO SAMPLES, THE ENERGY FROM THE CROWD WAS INSANE.

I saw them at Sunken Gardens, Southpark Meadows, and the Alamodome.

Medvedenko
03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Great lists guys/gals.....
Tool
NIN
Alice in Chains
Mars Volta
Dredg
Pink Floyd
Mastadon
Dillinger Escape Plan
Error
White Stripes
Led Zep
The Haunted
Bright Eyes
Nirvana etc...

ALVAREZ6
03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Anberlin - No shit Alvarez, got their CDs they kicks ass.

Particually like Ready Fuels and Day Late Friend, ah hell I like pretty much all there stuff.

Anberlin kicks ass, all their songs kick ass.

I think Paperthin Hymn kicks ass though because of the guitar.

Time and Confusion is good too.

Shelly
03-30-2005, 04:31 PM
:lol @ GoN!

Spurs košarka kultura
03-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Nin>tool

The nails are much more prolific.

cherylsteele
03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
The Charlie Daniels Band

xcoriate
03-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Damn I knew I forgot some, Tool is one of the greatest ever.

Faccia di Angelo
03-31-2005, 11:35 PM
NIN
Korn
U2
Linkin Park
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Pearl Jam
Black Crowes
Counting Crows
The Cure
Levellers

yes, I'm a country girl too lol:

Diamond Rio
Lonestar
Brad Paisley
Collin Raye
Blackhawk
Kenny Chesney
Rascal Flatts
there's a lot more, but these are the ones I prefer the most. I'm sure I'm leaving some out. gotta love music.

Jekka
03-31-2005, 11:51 PM
You morons - the question was not ARTISTS it was BANDS. Therefore ELVIS and KENNY CHESNEY and the like are not applicable - otherwise I'd be listing people like Bob Dylan and Tori Amos and Damien Rice.

Guru of Nothing
04-01-2005, 12:04 AM
You morons - the question was not ARTISTS it was BANDS. Therefore ELVIS and KENNY CHESNEY and the like are not applicable - otherwise I'd be listing people like Bob Dylan and Tori Amos and Damien Rice.

Bob Dylan once had a Band.

ZStomp
04-01-2005, 12:13 AM

Like it makes a freaken difference. It's music. Who gives a fuck if they aren't a "band"......

Alvarez didn't make it a law or anything.

:lol

nacho estrada
04-01-2005, 12:27 AM
The Mars Volta -Deloused at the Comatorium
-Frances the Mute
Rage
Tool
U2
Toadies
The Cure

ChumpDumper
04-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Bob Dylan once had a Band.And they're on my partial list.

The Band
The Miles Davis Quintet (65-69)
Crowded House
The "Classic" John Coltrane Quartet
Squeeze
Alice in Chains
Booker T and the MGs
The JBs
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Oingo Boingo

Drachen
04-01-2005, 02:40 AM
Bah Greenday has gotten worse the glory punk days are next to over for them. Their just commercial rubbish now just like Blink 182 latest stuff, although I will say this at least they stcuk to their political agenda.

Sorry for double post.

Glory punk days?? Those were over in the 80's. The beginning of Green Days' career was the rigormortis setting in on the "glory days" of punk. Everything after them that claimed to be punk was just poppunk crap!

That being said, I also like Green Day's album, while I dont think its totally punk I like the music and lyrics. I also dont put it into my hated poppunk category because its not stupid blink or NFG or new charlotte crap and the fact that they stuck with their political agenda proves that they arent just commercial rubbish as the aforementioned "bands" are.

Spurminator
04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Has anyone ever seen Umphrey's McGee?

I saw them last night in Dallas. Sick show. Think Phish mixed with a hint of metal.

They'll be in Austin this weekend.

T Park
04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Then: Pearl Jam, Bush, Alice in Chains

Now: Maroon 5, 3 doors down.

davi78239
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Modest mouse
Interpol
Yea Yea Yeas
Breaking Benjamin
Franz Ferdinand
Snow Patrol
The Killers
Blink 182
Green Day
Muse
Jimmy Eat World
Mars Volta
My Chemical Romance
3 Doors Down
Dave Matthews

Slo spurs fan
04-01-2005, 03:12 PM
No Guns'n'roses????? :huh :depressed

Zombie
04-02-2005, 08:40 PM
I saw no mention of QUEENSRYCHE.

JohnnyMarzetti
04-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Nantucket

MI21
04-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Wow, that is uninformed. Like Blink 182 could write a punk rock opera based around a cast of characters and how they fit in and deal with the way there country is run and things that happen in it. Green Day evolved from being angry young teens/adults singing about being bored, hating the world, masturbation being boring and getting stoned, into a band able to do what I just talked about above and creating one of the best rock albums in recent memory. A concept album at that. You talk about them being commercial or whatever, is it there fault American Idiot and Boulevard were hits? The songs fit into a larger product, the album, which is just like one big song. To judge a band on there singles (in Green Day's case, those 2 happen to be the 2 worst stand alone songs on the album, but like I said when its listened through as one song, they are good) is pathetic.

To say they are commercial rubbish is one of the most stupid things I have read on this message board, get a clue. Sure, it's ok to not like there Music, but you have to know that they aren't commercial rubbish and to compare them to Blink 182 is like me comparing the Chilli Peppers to Maroon 5. A disgrace.

nzkickass
04-04-2005, 03:52 AM
SHIHAD

You'll need to download / buy these guys album.

Great songs by them are

- Home Again
- Run
- The General Electric
- Walls
- Wait and see

.... they have so many great songs

just download 1 or 2 and see if you like them. (im sure you will)

cqsallie
04-04-2005, 04:58 AM
In the past:
Queen (the greatest band on the face of the earth and dissed by Rolling Stone in its recent 500 greatest songs issue)
Styx (also dissed by RS, but who can forget "Sailing Away?"
ELO (Telephone Line, Mr. Blue Sky, et al)
The Stones (Satisfaction, Jack Flash, hard to name them all)
Derek and the Dominoes (the original Layla, with Jim Gordon's gorgeous piano bridge)
Eric Clapton (although SBC seems determined to make me learn to hate him due to the overkill in their commercials)
Jimi Hendricks (nuttier than a fruitcake and doped to the max at Woodstock I)
Janis Joplin (all of the above and more)
Bob Marley and the Wailers (reggae, mon! Can you drink that red, red wine?)
The Beatles (but they got really stale after awhile)
John Lennon on his own (Imagine is an anthem for our times)
REO Speedwagon (just because of that goofy drummer with the cigarette dangling from his mouth)
REM (also now - weird and wonderful. Losing My Religion still gets me)
U-2 (also now - Bono Rules)
Springsteen (the energy and drive of Bruce and the E-Street Band amazes me)
Billy Joel (especially all the great drinking songs like Cap'n Jack and Piano Man)
Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers (only a couple years ago, wasn't it. Where are they now?)
Carlos Santana - if you don't know that's Santana from the first chords, you've been living in a cave!
Currently:
Maroon 5 (Songs About Jane hasn't been in the top 100 for two years for no reason, eh?)
Matchbox 20 (sounds stupid, because they're really no longer a group)
Hoobastank (The Reason video just floored me)
Green Day (American Idiot just strikes a note)
Gwen Stephani (LAMB and the cool take on the Japanese girl entertainers is great. Also loved her as Jean Harlow in The Aviator)
The Arcade Fire (loopy, overwhelmingly musical, coupled with on-stage hi-jinks - listen to the CD "Funeral" and become an immediate fan.
Bright Eyes (two CDs - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn)
Monte Montgomery (an Austin artist who plays the sweetest guitar ever and writes some really insightful songs).
The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, from whence the great medium-sized hit, Do You Realize?)
Elwood (comes and goes, but this group's cover of Sundown is positively fabulous)

I could probably list about a hundred more... Music is my passion and the one thing that really pisses me off is that we're caught in a Top-40 format and we have to really search for the new and different. Our airwaves are ruled by teeny-boppers. How many times did you hear "Mr. Lonely" today? Usher, Eminem (who I grudgingly like every once in awhile), 50 Cent, The Game, Ludacris, Nelly...

cqsallie
04-04-2005, 05:30 AM
In the past:
REO Speedwagon (just because of that goofy drummer with the cigarette dangling from his mouth)...
CORRECTION:
I mean to say Cheap Trick (with the goofy drummer)!
I also left out DMB and anything written by Andrew Lloyd Webber - Evita, Phantom, Cats. Just purely eclectic tastes. Also Willy Nelson and early George Strait.
What the hell! Music is music! What's not to love... :elephant

SLOVENIAN 8
04-04-2005, 05:36 AM
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/luc.chevolleau/logo%20Iron%20Maiden.jpg

davi78239
04-05-2005, 12:02 PM
In the past:
Queen (the greatest band on the face of the earth and dissed by Rolling Stone in its recent 500 greatest songs issue)
Styx (also dissed by RS, but who can forget "Sailing Away?"
ELO (Telephone Line, Mr. Blue Sky, et al)
The Stones (Satisfaction, Jack Flash, hard to name them all)
Derek and the Dominoes (the original Layla, with Jim Gordon's gorgeous piano bridge)
Eric Clapton (although SBC seems determined to make me learn to hate him due to the overkill in their commercials)
Jimi Hendricks (nuttier than a fruitcake and doped to the max at Woodstock I)
Janis Joplin (all of the above and more)
Bob Marley and the Wailers (reggae, mon! Can you drink that red, red wine?)
The Beatles (but they got really stale after awhile)
John Lennon on his own (Imagine is an anthem for our times)
REO Speedwagon (just because of that goofy drummer with the cigarette dangling from his mouth)
REM (also now - weird and wonderful. Losing My Religion still gets me)
U-2 (also now - Bono Rules)
Springsteen (the energy and drive of Bruce and the E-Street Band amazes me)
Billy Joel (especially all the great drinking songs like Cap'n Jack and Piano Man)
Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers (only a couple years ago, wasn't it. Where are they now?)
Carlos Santana - if you don't know that's Santana from the first chords, you've been living in a cave!
Currently:
Maroon 5 (Songs About Jane hasn't been in the top 100 for two years for no reason, eh?)
Matchbox 20 (sounds stupid, because they're really no longer a group)
Hoobastank (The Reason video just floored me)
Green Day (American Idiot just strikes a note)
Gwen Stephani (LAMB and the cool take on the Japanese girl entertainers is great. Also loved her as Jean Harlow in The Aviator)
The Arcade Fire (loopy, overwhelmingly musical, coupled with on-stage hi-jinks - listen to the CD "Funeral" and become an immediate fan.
Bright Eyes (two CDs - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn)
Monte Montgomery (an Austin artist who plays the sweetest guitar ever and writes some really insightful songs).
The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, from whence the great medium-sized hit, Do You Realize?)
Elwood (comes and goes, but this group's cover of Sundown is positively fabulous)

I could probably list about a hundred more... Music is my passion and the one thing that really pisses me off is that we're caught in a Top-40 format and we have to really search for the new and different. Our airwaves are ruled by teeny-boppers. How many times did you hear "Mr. Lonely" today? Usher, Eminem (who I grudgingly like every once in awhile), 50 Cent, The Game, Ludacris, Nelly...

Well, if you want variety and have extra money to spare, I say get XM cause you'll get your fix on their alternative stations. Believe me!!

ZStomp
05-28-2005, 08:51 PM
See above. :)