Bruno
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_anderson_varejao.jpg

Anderson Varejao | C - F
Born: Sep 28, 1982
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 260 lbs. / 117,9 kg.
Years Pro: 13

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anderson_varejao/index.html)

He has a player option for 09-10 with a $6.2M salary.

Bruno
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/05/cavaliers_insider_fatigued_ben.html

by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter
Sunday May 31, 2009, 8:46 PM

Varejao opting out: Anderson Varejao did not meet with the media Sunday, but a league source said that he intends to opt out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. This option was part of three-year offer sheet Varejao signed with the Charlotte Bobcats that the Cavs matched in 2007.

Varejao will likely leave $6.2 million on the table coming off a season in which he set career highs in starts (42), points (8.6) and field goal percentage (.536).

The Cavs retain his rights so they can exceed the salary cap to sign him. But unlike 2007, they will not be able to automatically match an offer such as the one the Bobcats extended. Varejao has said he wants to remain with the team and the Cavs are believed to be interested in bringing him back -- if they can come to terms.

MaNu4Tres
06-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Rumor says he's looking for a contract in the 9-10 million dollar range per year.

The only way I see us having a chance at overpaying him is through a sign and trade. And there's no way in hell I'd even consider that.

Stump
06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I'd like him as a Spur, but no doubt somebody is going to overpay him.

loveforthegame
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Bruno, thanks for the thread. I posted about this in the general thread wondering if the MLE would be enough to get him.

Good luck to him if he's looking for that much money.

Hank the Tank
06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
No way would I ever want that flopper on my team. Especially overpaying someone who's best aspect of their game is flopping. Definitely my most hated player in the league.

Spurs Brazil
06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Overated

He'd be good as a 1st big off the bench but wants to get paid like a starter

urunobili
06-01-2009, 03:25 PM
6 mill left on the table? :lmao who does he thinks he is? :lol

jason1301
06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
over f@king rated

Jose Ole
06-01-2009, 04:05 PM
No thanks, I'd rather keep Bonner... please pass on Floppy McFuckup.

Hank the Tank
06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I thought that was Bruce Bowen...

Umm..Bowen isn't a flopper, nor do I hate him. A little dirty, yes, but nowhere near as dirty as players in the past, most notably the Bad Boys. Must be confusing me with someone else.

benefactor
06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Exactly. With the economy the way it is there is not much chance of him getting the 9-10 mil he is looking for. I think we could get Gortat for the MLE...and I would easily take him over Varejao.

ploto
06-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Didn't he learn anything the last time...

SenorSpur
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd rather have Gortat.

timtonymanu
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Anderson Varejao - FUCK YOU!!!!!

TDMVPDPOY
06-01-2009, 08:40 PM
anderson aint worth 9-10m man

if his askn for that price, the cavs are better off looking at david lee instead....

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 03:50 AM
I read somewhere that the Cavs were thinking about offering Rasheed the full MLE. If that's the case, it's possible Verajao could end up high and dry. Flopper? Absolutely, but he's a hell of a defender, and one of the toughest dudes in the league. I don't think he's going to end up so high and dry that the Spurs will have a shot at him though.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I read somewhere that the Cavs were thinking about offering Rasheed the full MLE.

I don't think Shaq and Sheed can coexist. I hope Sheed feels the same way and comes to SA. :)

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Varejo is in for a rude awakening when he discovers cleveland is probably okay with letting him walk.

twilo73
06-30-2009, 08:03 AM
... whould we go after Verajao with the MLE?

Olajuwon
06-30-2009, 08:39 AM
He would provide solid defensive presence, so it would be a improvement most definately. And at the same time we obviously don't need much OFF game from him taking into account that we have the fab 4 who takes care of all the scoring.

I'd have Sheed as the no 1 option tho followed by Varejao/McDyess and Zaza..

:lobt2::lobt2:

twilo73
06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
After Sheed (also my first choice) Verajao is definately my second.

bigfan
06-30-2009, 08:51 AM
If we cant get McDyess or Rasheed, I could live with it.

rascal
06-30-2009, 08:55 AM
He would provide solid defensive presence, so it would be a improvement most definately. And at the same time we obviously don't need much OFF game from him taking into account that we have the fab 4 who takes care of all the scoring.

I'd have Sheed as the no 1 option tho followed by Varejao/McDyess and Zaza..

:lobt2::lobt2:

The Fab Four was a nickname used for the Beatles. You need to come up with something more original than that!

hater
06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
After Sheed (also my first choice) Verajao is definately my second.

same here

Olajuwon
06-30-2009, 08:57 AM
The Fab Four was a nickname used for the Beatles. You need to come up with something more original than that!

couldn't be bothered to write all the names out.

fantastic four.

:wow

urunobili
06-30-2009, 09:33 AM
fantastic four.

:wow

that was used by Barcelona already...
Henry/Etoo/Messi/Ronaldinho and they failed until Ronaldinho was gone... :nope

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
We can't afford anyone. Finley has doomed this team by picking up his option. We're doomed I say.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 11:40 AM
We can't afford anyone. Finley has doomed this team by picking up his option. We're doomed I say.

Poppycock.

twilo73
06-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Spurs Best Options for a big (5mil and under):

1. Gooden
2. McDyess
3. Villanueva
4. Frye
5. Bass

Sheed and Sideshow Bob overpriced themelves and are not worth more than 5 million.

I don't agree with you... Sheed, Verajao, and Villanueva will probably go for the MLE not more. The others might actually go for less.

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Anderson is here in Brazil and today he was in a event with some kids but he didn't want to talk with the reporters. His brother Sandro said he didn't talk to any team and he can only do it tomorrow

DPG21920
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I cannot believe some want to spend the MLE on a guy who is not a legit starter. Would I like him off of the bench? Yes. Would I like him as the primary big next to Tim? No.

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Varejao Opts For Free Agency

Anderson Varejao has elected not to exercise his player option with the Cleveland Cavaliers, as expected.

"Anderson Varejao has officially informed the Cavs that he will be a free agent at midnight," writes Brian Windhorst of the Plain Dealer.

Via Brian Windhorst/Cleveland Plain-Dealer

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60206/20090630/varejao_opts_for_free_agency/

BillMc
06-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd like him after Sheed, but he's going to want too much money....

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I cannot believe some want to spend the MLE on a guy who is not a legit starter. Would I like him off of the bench? Yes. Would I like him as the primary big next to Tim? No.

It's a perfectly valid point, but then there's a bunch of 6-10+ guys in the league who I can't believe are making what they're making. I'm not saying I'd want to pay it, but I'm pretty sure Varejao will end up getting someone's MLE. Bigs getting overpaid is just the way the nba is.

bigdog
06-30-2009, 04:45 PM
No way the Spurs get Varejao. He wanted a bigger contract a couple of years ago. You think the Spurs would be able to get him a big contract? Don't think so. No chance.

06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
wtf he really turned down $6 million? he's already slightly overpaid and he wants even more money?

waly.mg
06-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I Love Varejao ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

I Loved Varejao since his Shot at the Buzzer in the 07 Finals

MarHill
06-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I'd rather have Gortat.

SenorSpur,

We agree something!!! :lol

Varejao isn't that great a post defender and not a shotblocker.

Gortat can do both of those things and would help the Spurs much more!!

MarHill
06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
If this guy didnt have crazy hair, no one would know who he was! He sucks....cant block shots, foul prone.......has no offense. Hes a platoon front line player not worth the MLE. He wants 9-10 mil pr year so he wont be a spur most likely. That said for 4 mil he would be a solid role player.

+1

Gortat is a better fit for the Spurs than Varejao.

Spursmania
06-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Damn...:lmao

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Cavaliers forward Anderson Varejao did not exercise his option on a $6.2 million contract for next season, making him an unrestricted free agent.

link (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_CAVALIERS_VAREJAO?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

lefty
07-01-2009, 02:26 AM
It's not necessarily an either/or situation.

The Cavaliers are reportedly interested in signing power forward Charlie Villanueva in free agency. But that wouldn't prevent them from also signing forward/center Anderson Varejao.

They are two separate entities.
Both unrestricted free agents could conceivably be signed. They could sign Villanueva using their mid-level exception, which is expected to be worth between $5.6 million and $5.8 million, and then sign Varejao using his Bird rights.

Cavs general manager Danny Ferry planned on talking to several free agents at midnight Wednesday. Jeff Schwartz, Villanueva's agent, could have been one of the first calls.

Schwartz has to figure out if there are any suitors willing to exceed the mid-level exception to sign the 6-foot-11, 232-pounder.

There are a number of teams, including Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, Oklahoma City and possibly Portland, which have more than $10 million to spend on free agents.

With Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer deciding to stay with Utah, the Pistons could decide to pursue Villanueva.

The Cavs were going to talk to several different players about possibly joining their team.

Other big-man possibilities for the Cavs could be Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess and Marcin Gortat.

The Cavs have never used their full mid-level exception on one player. They usually split it up and try to sign a couple players.

They also have their bi-annual exception, worth about $2 million. Possible targets with the bi-annual exception could be Matt Barnes, Dahntay Jones and Grant Hill.

Ferry will also likely touch base with Dan Fegan, Varejao's agent, and express his interest in re-signing his client.

Varejao had to opt "in" to his contract for the 2009-10 season, which was worth $6.2 million. The deadline passed for that to happen, thus making him unrestricted. He might not surpass that figure in free agency, but he's hoping for a multi-year contract. Ferry said last week he hopes to keep Varejao.

Newly acquired Shaquille O'Neal and incumbent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas have one year remaining on their deals. Why is it important to keep Varejao? The 6-11, 260-pounder could be the Cavs' starting center in 2010-11.

Memphis is one team that might try to sign Varejao for more than the mid-level exception.

In other Cavaliers' news:

n There is talk about using guard/forward Wally Szczerbiak in a sign-and-trade.

The Cavs haven't ruled out bringing Szczerbiak or Joe Smith back, but it's unlikely. The Szczerbiak situation could be similar to what happened with Keith Van Horn a few years ago. Szczerbiak's contract can be used to make a trade work salary-wise.

n First-round pick Christian Eyenga and second-round pick Danny Green are expected to play for the Cavs' summer-league team in Las Vegas, a source said. Eyenga might not sign a two-year guaranteed contract, but he could get insurance in case he was injured. Green, the starting small forward on national champion North Carolina last year, could sign a multi-year deal.

n A source in Detroit said Cavs assistant coach John Kuester is on the Pistons' short list of potential head coaches. The others on their list are ex-Mavericks coach Avery Johnson and former Pistons coach Doug Collins. Kuester, a former Pistons assistant under Larry Brown, was the Cavs' unofficial "offensive coordinator" this season.

n Newly acquired Shaquille O'Neal, who should be in town this week for a press conference, is featured in a story in this week's Sports Illustrated. The story is titled, "Now a Few Words from ... LeBron's New Bodyguard."

n One hundred motorists received free fill-ups up to $30 courtesy of the Cavs and Kia Motors. Cavs coach Mike Brown and other members of the organization pumped gas on Tuesday at the Shell station, 3020 Carnegie Ave., in downtown Cleveland.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/07/01/sports/nh1113316.txt

Spurs Brazil
07-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Varejao was in ESPN Brasil studios today and said he wants to stay in Cleveland.

He said he know the team and the city very well and they're his 1st option

http://espnbrasil.terra.com.br/andersonvarejao/noticia/59495_VAREJAO+REVELA+QUE+PRETENDE+CONTINUAR+NO+CLE VELAND+CAVALIERS

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Cleveland looks like they'll be after Ron Artest, so this should be interesting..

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Varejao was in ESPN Brasil studios today and said he wants to stay in Cleveland.

He said he know the team and the city very well and they're his 1st option

........and oh by the way they can pay me more money than everyone else.

Spurs Brazil
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM

True :lol

nkdlunch
07-02-2009, 05:05 PM
He is looking more and more like a very solid choice

Obstructed_View
07-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Exactly. This was a move with "pay me" written all over it.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2009, 09:41 PM
If it's Varejao for the MLE, Nesterovic for the LLE, and a backup swingman via trade, such as a Nocioni, that's not a bad summer haul, especially with Jefferson joining the fold.

ElNono
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
If it's Varejao for the MLE, Nesterovic for the LLE, and a backup swingman via trade, such as a Nocioni, that's not a bad summer haul, especially with Jefferson joining the fold.

I don't like Sideshow at all. His defense is entirely based on flopping, I don't recall him being that great of a rebounder, and his basketball IQ is down there with Gooden.

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I think with Cleveland missing out on Ariza and Artest, they'll fill that SF role with a cheaper option and retain Varejao.

nkdlunch
07-08-2009, 03:19 PM
What's the word on this guy?

I would not mind getting Varejao for the MLE. Cleveland still has not signed him right?

BacktoBasics
07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
What's the word on this guy?

I would not mind getting Varejao for the MLE. Cleveland still has not signed him right?Last I heard Cleveland intended to resign the guy and he stated that he would love to return. At this point its probably not a bad move to wait him out if I'm CLE because there aren't a ton of teams with money left.

I'd love this guy but he doesn't seem to get much love around here.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-08-2009, 04:03 PM
he's brasilian

brasilians=useless