PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Hating Lakers One Thing Fans Often Agree On

duncan228
06-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Hating Lakers one thing fans often agree on (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hating_Lakers_one_thing_fans_often_agree_on.html)
Mike Monroe
Express-News

The Spurs have been out of the playoff picture for more than a month, so roadside vendors of NBA-related T-shirts and pennants had to get creative to attract San Antonians.

A stand at the corner of San Pedro and Oblate offered T-shirts with Spurs logos and Nos. 21, 20 and 9 last weekend, but the shirts hanging up front to catch the eyes of motorists relied on an emotion more certain to compel sales.

“Lakers Suck” was the theme of the day.

In silver and black lettering, of course.

Boston has won 17 NBA titles, more than any franchise. But the Lakers, not the Celtics, are the Yankees of basketball, despised for their very success.

The Lakers will be making their 30th appearance in the Finals, beginning with Thursday's Game 1, in search of the franchise's 15th championship.

Count on most of the league's fans that don't count purple and gold among their favorite colors to be rooting for the Magic.

Lakers Hatred is an extension of fan jealousy, and it makes for great rivalries. “Lakers Suck” T-shirts would have sold briskly in Boston during the 1980s had it not been a time of more sensitive restraint. Then, “Beat L.A.” shirts ruled the day, and the chant would begin at the Boston Garden an hour before tip-off of the three Lakers-Celtics Finals of the Larry Bird-Magic Johnson era.

A large measure of modern-day Lakers Hatred derives from outright jealousy that Kobe Bryant is the game's most skilled closer, turning even great defenders into helpless witnesses.

That he takes such obvious delight in his own exploits fuels the antipathy.

Bryant has spent the bulk of his career trying to be Michael Jordan. He has matched Jordan's ability to make the most difficult shots when they matter most, but he hasn't replicated His Airness' universal appeal. This is because he can't stop himself from falling into the playground ethos demanding that bravado accompany every on-court success.

Bryant is the antithesis of Tim Duncan, whose stoicism makes him the perfect Spur but the bogeyman of TV ratings.

Jordan talked trash, too, but with a subtlety that defied detection. And he eschewed histrionics. When he made his sixth 3-pointer of the first half in Game 1 of the 1992 Finals en route to a 33-point victory over the Trail Blazers, he shrugged his shoulders and gave the world a look that seemed to say, “I'm sorry ... I don't even believe it myself.”

Bryant would have bobbed his head in exaggerated affirmation of his own greatness.

That the NBA needs the Lakers to succeed was underscored during their Western Conference finals matchup with the Nuggets. Never had ABC had higher ratings for a conference finals game than it garnered from its Game 3 telecast on May 23. Never had a cable broadcast of an NBA series drawn such high ratings as it did for ESPN.

That many of the series viewers tuned in hoping to watch the Nuggets wipe the smirk from Bryant's face is a truth ABC and ESPN demographers understand.

Now the Lakers face the Magic in an NBA Finals commissioner David Stern will pretend to love just as much as he would have enjoyed Lakers vs. Cavs and Kobe vs. LeBron.

Expect to hear Stern tell us that Kobe vs. Dwight Howard is equally compelling.

Don't believe him for even a fraction of a second.

The good news for Stern: Lakers vs. Magic is ironclad, prima facie evidence the league doesn't manipulate the Finals matchups.

IronMexican
06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
:)

Spursfan092120
06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't hate LA...nothing against the team. I don't like SOME of the Laker fans..who think their team should be handed the LOB every year.

redzero
06-02-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't get this LA hate either.

rayray2k8
06-02-2009, 12:05 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/redzero/pautimplaying.jpg

:lol

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 12:10 AM
I idolized Magic Johnson as a youngster, but Shaq and Kobe never grew on me in Purple and Gold. Wouldn't be surprised if some marketing genius part of the Lakers' organization came up with those "Laker Suck" T-shirts. :lol

DrHouse
06-02-2009, 12:40 AM
I idolized Magic Johnson as a youngster, but Shaq and Kobe never grew on me in Purple and Gold. Wouldn't be surprised if some marketing genius part of the Lakers' organization came up with those "Laker Suck" T-shirts. :lol

Hmm I wonder why....could it have something to do with them knocking the Spurs out of the playoffs in '01, '02, and '04?

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 12:46 AM
The only one that really stings out of those years was '04, ironically because of the .4 phenomenon....would've like to have seen us get our crack at Detroit instead of seeing the Lakers embarass themselves, though that wasn't so bad either. Just never cared for Kobe that much and I hated the way Shaq left Orlando for Hollywood....was just lame to me and he became extremely arrogant after that.

IronMexican
06-02-2009, 12:48 AM
I don't hate LA...nothing against the team. I don't like SOME of the Laker fans..who think their team should be handed the LOB every year.

Fuck you, too.

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Some of the Laker fans, I've discovered, are actually cool though.

Jacob1983
06-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Technically, the Spurs did get a crack at the Pistons. It just wasn't in 2004. I use to really hate the Lakers when I was in high school back that was during their 3peat. I also was thrilled when the Pistons beat them in the 2004 Finals. However, I kinda felt sorry for the Lakers during the 2004-2005 season. That season was a disaster for them. It was their first season following Shaq's divorce from Kobe. They finished the season with a losing record and missed the playoffs.

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Technically, the Spurs did get a crack at the Pistons. It just wasn't in 2004.

Yeah, but after Tim hit that crazy shot falling down in the closing moments of game 5 I thought we'd get our first crack that year. I was laying on my bed swearing Fisher didn't get it off and was paralyzed with rage when they didn't wave off the basket.

IronMexican
06-02-2009, 01:16 AM
:lol I can't imagine having the Lakers lose in buzzer beater fashion. Closest thing to that was probably Bibby's shot in game 5. Game 4 of the Finals last season really hurt, though.

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 01:20 AM
It hurts worse than a blowout IMO because you get a false sense of hope that you're actually going to pull the game out.

YellowFever
06-02-2009, 01:24 AM
It hurts worse than a blowout IMO because you get a false sense of hope that you're actually going to pull the game out.

Lol..I agree.

In a blowout loss, you can slowly disengage mentally, smoke a cig and wonder what the hell you're going to watch next.

In a buzzer beater it's like..."Yes....yes..yes.......NNNOOOO!!"

God, I hate that....lol

IronMexican
06-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Blowouts don't hurt at all. You are just pissed. Game 4 last year was 10 times harder on me than Game 6. Game 6, man, that third quarter must have lasted two or three days.

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Lol..I agree.

In a blowout loss, you can slowly disengage mentally, smoke a cig and wonder what the hell you're going to watch next.

In a buzzer beater it's like..."Yes....yes..yes.......NNNOOOO!!"

God, I hate that....lol

Yup, LOL. You start mentally preparing yourself in blowouts for what comes next (next game, season, etc.). Sometimes you don't even watch the rest of the game. There's just no closure with a buzzer beater....well there is technically, but probably not the type you're looking for. :lol

Ghazi
06-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I don't mind em.

Although lots of FGT laker fans on this site.

Same w/ Spurs fans though.

Mavs 2006 Champs

ginobili's bald spot
06-02-2009, 01:48 AM

No doubt. It's an emotional kick in the nuts.

Blackjack
06-02-2009, 02:08 AM
A large measure of modern-day Lakers Hatred derives from outright jealousy that Kobe Bryant is the game's most skilled closer, turning even great defenders into helpless witnesses.

That sure sounds like the comment of a Laker fan, Monroe.

Kobe elicits hate because of his perceived character and demeanor/disingenuousness, not his ability.

Bryant has spent the bulk of his career trying to be Michael Jordan. He has matched Jordan's ability to make the most difficult shots when they matter most, but he hasn't replicated His Airness' universal appeal. This is because he can't stop himself from falling into the playground ethos demanding that bravado accompany every on-court success.

That goes back to the disingenuousness.

M.J. was as arrogant, cocky, ruthless and nasty a player that's ever played, but we didn't mind because, it was who he was. "The Genuine Article."

Men wanted to be him, and women wanted to be with him. Something Kobe has always longed for.

Kobe's ability is no doubt on par with M.J. on the court, but his drive seems to come from an insecurity rather thatn a strength.

Kobe has always tried to play/look the part of the Alpha-Dog, or be whatever/whoever he thought he needed to be to be envied and admired, but you can't fake that kind of thing.

Maybe it's not even Kobe's fault, though.

Maybe growing up overseas and feeling like an outsider played a role, or maybe never getting humbled at an early age the way M.J. was could have changed the person he became? I guess we'll never really know.

I do know this.

Fugazi is frowned upon, not greatness.

ginobili's bald spot
06-02-2009, 05:17 AM
That sure sounds like the comment of a Laker fan, Monroe.

The truth hurts.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Hating Lakers one thing fans often agree on (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hating_Lakers_one_thing_fans_often_agree_on.html)
Mike Monroe
Express-News

The Spurs have been out of the playoff picture for more than a month, so roadside vendors of NBA-related T-shirts and pennants had to get creative to attract San Antonians.

A stand at the corner of San Pedro and Oblate offered T-shirts with Spurs logos and Nos. 21, 20 and 9 last weekend, but the shirts hanging up front to catch the eyes of motorists relied on an emotion more certain to compel sales.

“Lakers Suck” was the theme of the day.

In silver and black lettering, of course.

Boston has won 17 NBA titles, more than any franchise. But the Lakers, not the Celtics, are the Yankees of basketball, despised for their very success.

The Lakers will be making their 30th appearance in the Finals, beginning with Thursday's Game 1, in search of the franchise's 15th championship.

Count on most of the league's fans that don't count purple and gold among their favorite colors to be rooting for the Magic.

Lakers Hatred is an extension of fan jealousy, and it makes for great rivalries. “Lakers Suck” T-shirts would have sold briskly in Boston during the 1980s had it not been a time of more sensitive restraint. Then, “Beat L.A.” shirts ruled the day, and the chant would begin at the Boston Garden an hour before tip-off of the three Lakers-Celtics Finals of the Larry Bird-Magic Johnson era.

That he takes such obvious delight in his own exploits fuels the antipathy.

Bryant is the antithesis of Tim Duncan, whose stoicism makes him the perfect Spur but the bogeyman of TV ratings.

Jordan talked trash, too, but with a subtlety that defied detection. And he eschewed histrionics. When he made his sixth 3-pointer of the first half in Game 1 of the 1992 Finals en route to a 33-point victory over the Trail Blazers, he shrugged his shoulders and gave the world a look that seemed to say, “I'm sorry ... I don't even believe it myself.”

Bryant would have bobbed his head in exaggerated affirmation of his own greatness.

That the NBA needs the Lakers to succeed was underscored during their Western Conference finals matchup with the Nuggets. Never had ABC had higher ratings for a conference finals game than it garnered from its Game 3 telecast on May 23. Never had a cable broadcast of an NBA series drawn such high ratings as it did for ESPN.

That many of the series viewers tuned in hoping to watch the Nuggets wipe the smirk from Bryant's face is a truth ABC and ESPN demographers understand.

Now the Lakers face the Magic in an NBA Finals commissioner David Stern will pretend to love just as much as he would have enjoyed Lakers vs. Cavs and Kobe vs. LeBron.

Expect to hear Stern tell us that Kobe vs. Dwight Howard is equally compelling.

Don't believe him for even a fraction of a second.

The good news for Stern: Lakers vs. Magic is ironclad, prima facie evidence the league doesn't manipulate the Finals matchups.

:toast well said

Armando
06-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Blowouts don't hurt at all. You are just pissed. Game 4 last year was 10 times harder on me than Game 6. Game 6, man, that third quarter must have lasted two or three days.

I enjoyed Game 6 alot.

resistanze
06-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Why be jealous of second-best? Has to be more to Laker hate than titles.

NoMoneyDown
06-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I was listening to the sports station on the radio this morning and one of the commentators made an interesting point, regarding why the Lakers are a polarizing team (either you love them or despise them). He said in the last 30 finals - including the one coming up - guess how many included the Lakers?

HALF of the finals in the last 30 years had the LA Lakers representing the Western Conference. Pretty astounding. And possibly one of the reasons people either hate (too many appearances by a single team) or love (their team appears a lot) the Lakers.

ambchang
06-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Problem with successful teams is that they attract a huge number of bandwagon fans who knows little about basketball, and for some reason, take their bandwagoning team of choice as some form of pride.

Due to the demographics, teams in large cities just attract more of these ignorant fans that pisses everyone off.

Muser
06-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't despise any team, I don't like any other team either. I do hate the little bandwagon fucks that act all cocky though.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Blowouts are a lot easier to deal with than close games. Last year game 3 against the Spurs was a lot easier than game 1. Game 3 was simply, "OK, well, Steve Nash seems content with getting face fucked by Tony Parker and curb stomped by the Spurs for the 3rd time in 4 years, they really weren't going to win this series."

Amuseddaysleeper
06-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I actually like Kobe a lot. One of the best players in the game. I just hate almost everyone else on that Laker team.

I would hate to live in a world where Shasha Vujacic can be called a "champion"

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
When I kick it with my fellow spurs fans I wear my spurs suck tee, they wear their lakers suck tee and we all get along, because at the end of the day we know it's just a game.

http://pic.photobucket.com/spacer.gifhttp://pic.photobucket.com/spacer.gifhttp://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/carlos12806/spurssuck004.jpg

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-02-2009, 10:42 AM
I actually like Kobe a lot. One of the best players in the game. I just hate almost everyone else on that Laker team.

Every championship team has at least one of those players.

KSeal
06-02-2009, 10:52 AM

I agree with you on the last part. Even most Laker fans hate Sasha and he has done absolutely NOTHING to deserve being called a champion. All he has done all season is clearly hack people 45 feet from the basket only to turn to the ref in complete disbelief to complain and then shoot 23% from the field. The man is a joke and should in no way be making 5 million dollars, horrible signing by Mitch.

The only player on the Lakers I don't understand people hating is Trevor Ariza. Everyone else, I can understand the hate.

Artest93
06-02-2009, 11:30 AM
The only thing I have a problem with is calling Odom, Sasha, Walton, Fisher, Bynum champions, b/c the shaq/kobe lakers were a whole lot better, and not as soft as these lakers

KSeal
06-02-2009, 11:38 AM
The only thing I have a problem with is calling Odom, Sasha, Walton, Fisher, Bynum champions, b/c the shaq/kobe lakers were a whole lot better, and not as soft as these lakers

What does Shaq/Kobe's Lakers being better then this current Laker team have to do with them not deserving to be called champions? A lot of team that have won the NBA championship weren't as good as the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

Gino
06-02-2009, 11:40 AM
L.A. represents everything that is wrong with this country. Its the celebrity magazine reading, "The Hills" watching, materialistic shrine of the world. The only thing love more than fame is themselves and half the country runs up a mountain of credit card debt trying to be like them.

Kobe Bryant is the perfect player for this city. Arrogant yet insecure. A bad actor who comes across a complete phony to everyone except Laker fans. He tries to be Michael Jordan but just comes across as a black Justin Timberlake.

Ghazi
06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Is it really any worse than calling Antoine Walker and Jason Williams champions?

Oh that's right, they AREN'T champions :toast

Mavs 2006 champs faggots.

KSeal
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
L.A. represents everything that is wrong with this country. Its the celebrity magazine reading, "The Hills" watching, materialistic shrine of the world. The only thing love more than fame is themselves and half the country runs up a mountain of credit card debt trying to be like them.

Kobe Bryant is the perfect player for this city. Arrogant yet insecure. A bad actor who comes across a complete phony to everyone except Laker fans. He tries to be Michael Jordan but just comes across as a black Justin Timberlake.

:hat Gotta love the hate.

I've lived in LA my whole life, it can be very lame at times and yes there are a good amount of phonies but it ain't nearly as bad as you view it. Keep hating though, it's all good.

Gino
06-02-2009, 12:04 PM
:hat Gotta love the hate.

I've lived in LA my whole life, it can be very lame at times and yes there are a good amount of phonies but it ain't nearly as bad as you view it. Keep hating though, it's all good.

You pretend to love the hate but it obviously bothers most laker fans.

No one ever chanted "Jordan Sucks" at every arena he ever went to.

IronMexican
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
You can't deny most of the fans in the Staples are phonies, at least most celebrity fans there.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
The only player on the Lakers I don't understand people hating is Trevor Ariza. Everyone else, I can understand the hate.

Actually, Ariza is probably my second favorite player on the team. He busts his ass and does all the little things that really change the game. His offense is also coming along quite nicely.

As a matter of fact, if Ariza wasn't healthy this year, I don't think the Lakers would be in the finals. He's that important.

jacobdrj
06-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I was never a fan of Shaq, but I respected him. I was never a fan of Kobe, but I respected him, at least until the Summer of 2003...

I am from Cali, I wasn't there long, but the Magic Johnson Lakers hold a special place in my heart.

Were Kobe not on that team, I would root for the Lakers. Pau, Ariza, Brown, Odom... I can root for them. But rooting for Kobe is just impalpable for me.

Kori Ellis
06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I am not really rooting for either team in the Finals, but I lean more toward liking the Lakers than Orlando. How can a perimeter shooting team like the Magic winning the title be a good thing? :lol

I like DHoward, but after that, there's not much to like about the Magic.

So .. Go Lakers, I guess.

DrHouse
06-02-2009, 01:15 PM

:lmao

And Boston is the shining city on the hill right?

I'll take LA's "fakeness" over a racist city like Boston any day of the week.

KSeal
06-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Actually, Ariza is probably my second favorite player on the team. He busts his ass and does all the little things that really change the game. His offense is also coming along quite nicely.

As a matter of fact, if Ariza wasn't healthy this year, I don't think the Lakers would be in the finals. He's that important.

Yeah Ariza is awesome, I hope your team doesn't steal him this off season :king. The Lakers very well could have been swept by Denver if he didn't make those late steals in games 1 and 3.

KSeal
06-02-2009, 01:27 PM
You pretend to love the hate but it obviously bothers most laker fans.

No one ever chanted "Jordan Sucks" at every arena he ever went to.

I can't speak for "most laker fans" but for me it really doesn't bother me all that much. I understand the general hate and I'm used to it by now living in LA for forever. I also hate LA for a lot of things but I think the whole "LA is the worst place and thing ever in the whole universe blah blah blah, Kobe is the worst person ever blah blah blah" thing is a little over doing it but it's expected.

v2freak
06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Mike Monroe
Express-News

Yeah okay. For people who subscribe to that theory, this year's Finals matchup only proves

a.) it doesn't have to happen every year
b.) it doesn't always work the way they want it
c.) at least one of the teams is usually from a high-market city

Ironclad? Please. It'll take more than that to convince a lot of people, myself included. The league pulled an ad-hominim on Tim Donaghe when he claimed the NBA extended the Kings-Lakers series to 7 games. Seeing the clips after they stopped being taken down by the NBA (suspicious as hell) pretty much speaks for itself.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
How can people hate Ariza?
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3449/5wl8wlpv8.gif (http://www.letsgolakers.com/index.php?showuser=157)

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
p3_kJwfce0M

Trainwreck2100
06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Every championship team has at least one of those players.

2003 spurs, who?

Steve Kerr
06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
I love the Lakers.....they're 6-2 against the Suns since I took over as GM. They owe me a lot.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
2003 spurs, who?

Stephen Jackson

Allanon
06-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah okay. For people who subscribe to that theory, this year's Finals matchup only proves

a.) it doesn't have to happen every year

If you're going to rig it, why not rig it for LeBron vs Kobe? It's about money, this was a money cow. The public wanted Kobe to put Lebron in his place or Lebron to put Kobe in his place. If the NBA was going to rig it, this woudl have been the perfect year to bring back Jordan/Magic glory.

b.) it doesn't always work the way they want it
That's what happens when it's not rigged. If the NBA wanted to rig games, there wouln't be any misses. It's not hard to rig a game if you're intent on doing it.

c.) at least one of the teams is usually from a high-market city
If the NBA is going to rig it, why not make BOTH teams be high market cities?

And having the most boring Superstar ever in a small ass market win 4 times is just not good business. 1 time may be a fluke, but 4 times the NBA wanted them to win?

Nah, I'm a Laker fan but even I have more respect for the Spurs than to think the NBA rigged their 4 championships. The Spurs won their championships because they deserved to win, not because the NBA rigged it for them.

Morg1411
06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I'll be perfectly honest....I don't know why I hate the Lakers.

I think it's because, in sports, you've gotta hate somebody, and that somebody might as well a) be a good team, and b) feature a superstar who's a bit too full of hismelf.

By those criteria, it would be lame for me to hate, say, Milwaukee.

The Lakers are worthy of my hate. Congrats, guys.

La Peace
06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't really feel bothered by it. I don't rejoice in it either. I guess I am indifferent about the hate. If you are from a different city, I assume you hate the Lakers and I don't question that. Its sports. I hate the Patriots and I hate Boston.

If Kobe was on the Spurs I would hate him too. So I can understand all that. But anyone who is on my team gets my support, thats just how it is. But I don't go into debates defending my players because its pointless. I know how good they are.

But when people are say things like "Laker fans are annoying, or laker fans are not real fans" there's a lot to be said to refute such generalizations. For one, many laker fans don't even live in LA. We don't all have the same affluent status and we all don't necessarily go to the games (expensive). The only thing we all have in common is that we root for the same team. So if you want to knock us for rooting for the Lakers then fine, as I said before I expect that. But to try and label us anything else besides laker fans is an indicative of displacement of hate and projection of some type of insecurities.

Gino
06-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't really feel bothered by it. I don't rejoice in it either. I guess I am indifferent about the hate. If you are from a different city, I assume you hate the Lakers and I don't question that. Its sports. I hate the Patriots and I hate Boston.

If Kobe was on the Spurs I would hate him too. So I can understand all that. But anyone who is on my team gets my support, thats just how it is. But I don't go into debates defending my players because its pointless. I know how good they are.

But when people are say things like "Laker fans are annoying, or laker fans are not real fans" there's a lot to be said to refute such generalizations. For one, many laker fans don't even live in LA. We don't all have the same affluent status and we all don't necessarily go to the games (expensive). The only thing we all have in common is that we root for the same team. So if you want to knock us for rooting for the Lakers then fine, as I said before I expect that. But to try and label us anything else besides laker fans is an indicative of displacement of hate and projection of some type of insecurities.

Boy do you have it crossed. These Laker fans who dont even live in LA were once Bulls fans. They are also Dallas Cowboy fans.

They typically have an inferiority complex, this is why they tend to latch on to teams that consistently win. Im guessing this applies to you as well.

La Peace
06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
No..there are cities in california not named LA. They have a sports complex where they root for the nearest team in relation to them.

All former bulls fans are now laker fan and cowboy fans? I am not even going to waste my time proving you wrong on that generalization. You probably know a few people like this? and, I don't know, despise their fandom? I get that, just don't try and paint every lakers fan as a former bulls fan/current cowboy fan. It is pointless.

daslicer
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Honestly if Kobe and Shaq were never on the Lakers they wouldn't have been hateable to me EVEN if they were still winning titles at the spurs expense. I hated both Kobe and Shaq way before they were even champions and that wasn't due to their skill set moreso a combination of media hype and their childish personalities. I have never liked Kobe mainly because he comes across as a narcissistic prick with a sense of entitlement.

spursncowboys
06-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I hate the Lakers. I hate their fans. I hate Shaq getting away with all the fouls he has made his entire career. I hate the refs giving the Lakers an advantage. I hate how Kobe never gets fouled out. I hate how Phil Jackson is the most over-rated coach. But definitely not because I envy the Laker's success or skill.

SpursDynasty
06-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I have no hate against the Lakers....they haven't won a championship since 2002. No hate, they're just not the favorites to win the championship this year. Nothing personal, it's just the way it is.

DrHouse
06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
And I'm :lmao at Boston fan calling Laker fan a bandwagoner when Boston fans were CHANTING MVP FOR KOBE BRYANT IN THE GARDEN just a few seasons ago when they sucked dick.

The bottom line is BOS fans are even BIGGER bandwagoners than Laker fans. A huge majority of them could not even tell you the starting lineup of the team before KG got there.

Gino
06-03-2009, 11:02 AM
No..there are cities in california not named LA. They have a sports complex where they root for the nearest team in relation to them.

All former bulls fans are now laker fan and cowboy fans? I am not even going to waste my time proving you wrong on that generalization. You probably know a few people like this? and, I don't know, despise their fandom? I get that, just don't try and paint every lakers fan as a former bulls fan/current cowboy fan. It is pointless.

You just said yourself that a lot of Laker fans dont even live in LA and never had.

I agree with this statement.

So why do they cheer for the Lakers? They dont have the crazy offense like Phoenix. They dont have the bad-boys mentality like Pistons. They dont even have a likeable superstar like Cleveland.

The reason they like LA is the lights and glamour and success of L.A.

These people will never have any success for themselves, so they try to ride the coat-tails of something bigger.

Thats the best way I can explain it.

btw - have you ever heard of NOT bolding a part of your post :P

TheManFromAcme
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I will admit since living here in San Antonio,there is a growing multitude of "Fake" Laker fans. "Real" Laker fan is mild-mannered (believe it or not) and has a subtle confidence with his team loyalty and has gear way beyond just #24. True Laker fan knows the history and stats upon being summoned and really never talks crap. He KNOWS his team and what it has done in the past to cement itself as one of the greatest teams if not the most storied. I've run into these native-San Antonion Laker fans. All you get out of them is "Ora le Ese! Pinche Kobe es da Best" (These are the guys at the AT&T). Kobe this, Kobe that. Kobe is great, but at least for me, he doesn't personify the true greatness of that franchise and it's history. True Laker fans just keep quiet. I am one of them. Like I've mentioned many times here, I've run into hundreds, perhaps thousands of San Antonio fans here that have mucho love and affinity for Showtime Lakers. Why is that? It's easy really. Those Laker teams had a way of ripping your heart out but didn't beat their chests like today's ass-clown NBA players. I know a Mr. Mike Schaumann here in San Antonio. You will never find a bigger Spurs fan than this man. He never misses home games and I have had the pleasure in sitting next to this man. Do you know, he wears his Duncan Jersey with his L.A. cap on all the time? He does it because he cearly remembers Magic Johnson taking time to talk to him and give him a autograph for that he will always have a rooting interest with the Lakers. True story. I can't argue with San Antonio Spurs fan or any fan for that matter. Kobe doesn't do that, I know. But this generations NBA fan has much to learn.

DrHouse
06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
You just said yourself that a lot of Laker fans dont even live in LA and never had.

I agree with this statement.

So why do they cheer for the Lakers? They dont have the crazy offense like Phoenix. They dont have the bad-boys mentality like Pistons. They dont even have a likeable superstar like Cleveland.

The reason they like LA is the lights and glamour and success of L.A.

These people will never have any success for themselves, so they try to ride the coat-tails of something bigger.

Thats the best way I can explain it.

btw - have you ever heard of NOT bolding a part of your post :P

Newsflash. Southern California is BIG. You don't have to be living in the city of LA to root for the Lakers.

And you are describing the Boston fanbase to a T. They live their lives vicariously through sports because their own lives are so miserable and pathetic. I don't blame Boston fans though, the majority are ugly, pale, pasty, and have a horrific accent. Sports is all they have.

Gino
06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Newsflash. Southern California is BIG. You don't have to be living in the city of LA to root for the Lakers.

And you are describing the Boston fanbase to a T. They live their lives vicariously through sports because their own lives are so miserable and pathetic. I don't blame Boston fans though, the majority are ugly, pale, pasty, and have a horrific accent. Sports is all they have.

If you live in the greater LA county I could understand you being a Laker fan.

However, Im guessing most of the Laker fans on this board dont even live in California. Again, theyre losers in life and cling to "dynasties" like the Lakers, Bulls, Cowboys etc.

Ghazi
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I'M typing in this font from now on. It's just my thing. Got a problem with it? Too bad.

DrHouse
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
If you live in the greater LA county I could understand you being a Laker fan.

However, Im guessing most of the Laker fans on this board dont even live in California. Again, theyre losers in life and cling to "dynasties" like the Lakers, Bulls, Cowboys etc.

You know what they say about people who make ASSumptions don't you?

Gino
06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
You know what they say about people who make ASSumptions don't you?

No. What do they say about people who make assumptions?

Dumbass. Its "you know what happens when you assume? You make and ass of u and me".

Fucking idiot.

IronMexican
06-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I'M typing in this font from now on. It's just my thing. Got a problem with it? Too bad.

I need a cool looking font, too. This is my new font as long as I am not posting on the ps3

JustBlaze
06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I need a cool looking font, too. This is my new font as long as I am not posting on the ps3
Very nice, easy on the eyes as well.

IronMexican
06-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Very nice, easy on the eyes as well.

Lol, I already forgot I was supposed to type like this. Thanks for bumping this thread and reminding me

JustBlaze
06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Lol, I already forgot I was supposed to type like this. Thanks for bumping this thread and reminding me
Celtic pride huh?:lol