PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young - "I want to play, or move on"

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Report: Young pushing to play

Tennessee Titans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ten) quarterback Vince Young (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9589) isn't saying play me or trade me, but he's coming pretty close.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nfl/players/65/9589.jpg
Young
In an interview with Baltimore's WMAR-TV, Young said if he doesn't win back his starting job, he wants to move on. The problem is that Kerry Collins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=734) is still the starter.
"I definitely want to get back out there playing ball and picking up where I left off, winning games and having a good time with my teammates and with the fans," Young said, according to the television station. "At the same time, if them guys don't want me to be in there, it's time for me to make a career change for myself. Because the fact is I'm ready to play ball. If they're not ready for me to play ball, then somebody is."
The former rookie of the year suffered a knee injury in the first game of the season last year. Veteran Kerry Collins stepped in and remained the starter for the remainder of the year, leading the Titans to a 13-3 record and the playoffs.
Young's season was further marred by an incident after that first game against Jacksonville in which the quarterback was reported missing. He was later found and there was some question as to his state of mind.
This offseason, Titans coach Jeff Fisher said that Young would have to unseat Collins as the starter.
"I'm still focused, staying focused," Young said, according to WMAR. "I got a lot of people that look up to me. I got a lot of fans that love me and want to see me back out on the football field."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4223108

I don't blame the guy at all. He's got talent...he doesn't want to spend his whole career on the bench. Someone will give him a shot at the starting spot.

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Does he realize what "career change" implies? Anyway, they should've gotten the job done in San Diego the year before last.

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Does he realize what "career change" implies? Anyway, they should've gotten the job done in San Diego the year before last.
Agreed...but the guy is still too talented to be a backup.

NewJerSpur
06-02-2009, 01:39 AM
If he just keeps his mouth shut and bides his time he'll be back out there when KC starts tanking at some point this season. Fisher is actually in his corner but after the season Kerry had last year you'd have to at least start with him.

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 02:01 AM
If he just keeps his mouth shut and bides his time he'll be back out there when KC starts tanking at some point this season. Fisher is actually in his corner but after the season Kerry had last year you'd have to at least start with him.
Definitely..and I think that may be what he's hoping for...

IronMexican
06-02-2009, 02:18 AM
He needs to go out there and let his game do the talking. All this does nothing.

timvp
06-02-2009, 03:05 AM
http://www.whitesox1.de/images/CFL-Logo-OnGrass.jpg

JudynTX
06-02-2009, 07:53 AM
We'll take him. :lol

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Eagles?

stretch
06-02-2009, 08:13 AM

that would make no sense

JudynTX
06-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Eagles?

Yea :lol As a back-up for McNabb.

samikeyp
06-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Earn your time in practice.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Earn your time in practice.

NO joke man. Vince is becoming a big joke and only making himself look stupid. He blew it as a starter before he got "injured". Im surprised Dirk has yet to post in here.

Blake
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
if you can't beat out an over the hill kerry collins, then what team would you be able to be the starter on?

Vikings maybe......Broncos maybe......that's about it.

Dr. Gonzo
06-02-2009, 09:16 AM
He was a great college QB. His game just didn't transfer to the NFL. He should be happy to be a backup.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2009, 09:38 AM
He is eager to impale or be impaled.

dirk4mvp
06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
the guy is still too talented to be a backup.

No he's not.

samikeyp
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I will have to agree with this jobless freak...if he was good enough he'd be starting instead of old man Collins.

Physically, he's got the talent. Its his mental state that keeps him from succeeding, between bad decisions and freaking out over getting booed.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Physically, he's got the talent. Its his mental state that keeps him from succeeding, between bad decisions and freaking out over getting booed.

Yeah but his accuracy was never really that good either even in college. His legs is what made him great and I think thats what limited him the pros. He couldnt just run all the time.

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Exactly...he needs a brain transplant...or he needs to focus more..whichever works better. :)

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah but his accuracy was never really that good either even in college. His legs is what made him great and I think thats what limited him the pros. He couldnt just run all the time.
You don't remember too well, do you? Vince was the top rated QB by accuracy in the NCAA his senior year...I'd say that's pretty good.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
You don't remember too well, do you? Vince was the top rated QB by accuracy in the NCAA his senior year...I'd say that's pretty good.

oh I remember but it wasnt him it was his recievers. Shit looks at Thomas's numbers. Vince always dumped it to him on short passes. Sweed bailed VY out a lot as well, watch the last catch against Ohio State. HORRIBLE fucking pass, great fucking catch!!

stretch
06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
oh I remember but it wasnt him it was his recievers. Shit looks at Thomas's numbers. Vince always dumped it to him on short passes. Sweed bailed VY out a lot as well, watch the last catch against Ohio State. HORRIBLE fucking pass, great fucking catch!!

True. But VY went completely the other way when going to Tennessee, where their recievers all completely suck ASS. And no one on the team was capable of making plays except him. So it makes it a lot easier to stop him from running when they don't feel threatened by any reciever or running back. But now that they have a back that is capable of making plays (Chris Johnson), I'd like to see how that helps him. Finally Justin Gage started pulling his head out of his butt too and making some plays as well, starting to become the reciever he is capable of being.

stretch
06-02-2009, 12:15 PM

His actual throwing accuracy is completely different than QB rating.

Hank Hill
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm still waiting for WOAI's Charlie Parker to walk backwards to Houston

Mr. Parker said he would walk backwards to Houston if the Texan's didnt select Vince Young with their 1st pick back in 2006

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/mlib/1229/01/1229_1201098811.jpg
That boy ain't right

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 12:23 PM
True. But VY went completely the other way when going to Tennessee, where their recievers all completely suck ASS. And no one on the team was capable of making plays except him. So it makes it a lot easier to stop him from running when they don't feel threatened by any reciever or running back. But now that they have a back that is capable of making plays (Chris Johnson), I'd like to see how that helps him. Finally Justin Gage started pulling his head out of his butt too and making some plays as well, starting to become the reciever he is capable of being.

If they ran wildcat with VY and CJ in the backfield that shit would be awesome. CJ is a beast but yeah I see what your saying. VY didnt have shit for help BUT Collins did pretty good with what VY had. I just think with what they have they work better with a pocket QB and VY isnt very good at that. If you let him run and gun then yeah he is good but he isnt very smart. I had always read he was having a hard time learning the playbook and that is prob ultimatly why he kept fucking up and got benched.

dirk4mvp
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Vick > Young

Ghazi
06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
lol suicide

stretch
06-02-2009, 12:51 PM
If they ran wildcat with VY and CJ in the backfield that shit would be awesome. CJ is a beast but yeah I see what your saying. VY didnt have shit for help BUT Collins did pretty good with what VY had. I just think with what they have they work better with a pocket QB and VY isnt very good at that. If you let him run and gun then yeah he is good but he isnt very smart. I had always read he was having a hard time learning the playbook and that is prob ultimatly why he kept fucking up and got benched.

VY only got to play 1 game with Chris Johnson though. And keep in mind, Collins was total fucking shit when VY took over a couple years ago and nearly led them out of an 0-4 hole that collins dug them into, to the playoffs.

but I agree that VY will never likely be a pure pocket passer. they would definitely have to adjust to fit his style more, and it hasn't been proven to work consistently in the NFL yet. then again, most running QBs have always had to deal with a crappy offense surrounding them for the most part. the one runner that was successful was Steve Young, and he had the luxury of learning from Joe and passing to Jerry Rice, along with a great offensive supporting cast.

stretch
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Russel > Young > Vick > Peyton

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 01:06 PM
VY only got to play 1 game with Chris Johnson though. And keep in mind, Collins was total fucking shit when VY took over a couple years ago and nearly led them out of an 0-4 hole that collins dug them into, to the playoffs.

but I agree that VY will never likely be a pure pocket passer. they would definitely have to adjust to fit his style more, and it hasn't been proven to work consistently in the NFL yet. then again, most running QBs have always had to deal with a crappy offense surrounding them for the most part. the one runner that was successful was Steve Young, and he had the luxury of learning from Joe and passing to Jerry Rice, along with a great offensive supporting cast.

I think the running QB style is tough for them because they always want to take off and run when they think they are in trouble without scrambling in the pocket then throwing. I think Mcnabb has done a good job, its amazing with some of the shit he has pulled off but he would scramble in the pocket and throw it and not try and get the 5 yards on the ground. Then again he has a better arm and accuracy and isnt as fast as the other running qb's. True he did bail out Collins, but then Collins bailed him out too. This year will be the make or break year for VY. If he even plays that is.

Extra Stout
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Exactly what metric does the NCAA have for "accuracy?" You mean completion percentage? That's not the same thing as accuracy. In the NCAA, if you have athletically superior receivers that get wide open, you can throw it in their general area and they'll catch it. In the NFL, frequently the ball has to be thrown within a narrow window of area and time to get it past the defenders. A QB can't simply evade tacklers long enough for receivers to break containment like VY could do in college.

It's a different skill set, and he doesn't have it and never did.

Extra Stout
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
the one runner that was successful was Steve Young, and he had the luxury of learning from Joe and passing to Jerry Rice, along with a great offensive supporting cast.
Steve Young also was smart enough to pass the bar exam, and could throw into a breadbox from 30 yards out.

Whisky Dog
06-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Damn Vince, grow up and go get your job back. Stop whining already.

This is why the NFL needs a rookie pay scale. The Titans almost have to play him because he makes so much money.

TFloss32
06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
He was a great college QB. His game just didn't transfer to the NFL. He should be happy to be a backup.

Whether or not you think VY's game has transferred well from college, he's already proven he can play in the NFL. He is NOT a backup :nope. A lot of people seem to believe he's now incapable of playing football because of this "breakdown." Plus, his sprained knee was legit and it's easy to forget about a player's greatness when he's been out of the limelight for an entire season. The guy was Offensive ROY, a Pro Bowler, had some incredible come-from-behind wins (two of which were on the road against the 10-1 defending champion Colts and the future champion Giants when they were down 21-0) and took a less than decent Tennessee Titans team to the playoffs with very little help...all in his first year. Who ever does that? You can talk all you want about how he's dumb, inaccurate or his lack of stats...but none of it can take away what's he's done with a full season under his belt. Kerry Collins will get the starting job in '09 simply because of what he did last season (even though the Titans weren't peforming as well towards the end of the season and into the playoffs). Vince will need to move on if Titans system doesn't play to his strengths (i.e. making him a pocket passer). I bet Houston would love to have a second shot at him. The Dolphins have proved already that you can alter a system to fit certain players and still be successful. I have no doubt he will be successful again. It just remains to be seen if it will be in a Titans uniform.

Dr. Gonzo
06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I agree..he is Michael Vick sans the murdered dogs. He has the feet, but no accuracy. He needs to move to WR.

Mike Vick had a strong arm, even if he wasn't accurate. VY can't throw 30 yards down the field.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Whether or not you think VY's game has transferred well from college, he's already proven he can play in the NFL. He is NOT a backup :nope. A lot of people seem to believe he's now incapable of playing football because of this "breakdown." Plus, his sprained knee was legit and it's easy to forget about a player's greatness when he's been out of the limelight for an entire season. The guy was Offensive ROY, a Pro Bowler, had some incredible come-from-behind wins (two of which were on the road against the 10-1 defending champion Colts and the future champion Giants when they were down 21-0) and took a less than decent Tennessee Titans team to the playoffs with very little help...all in his first year. Who ever does that? You can talk all you want about how he's dumb, inaccurate or his lack of stats...but none of it can take away what's he's done with a full season under his belt. Kerry Collins will get the starting job in '09 simply because of what he did last season (even though the Titans weren't peforming as well towards the end of the season and into the playoffs). Vince will need to move on if Titans system doesn't play to his strengths (i.e. making him a pocket passer). I bet Houston would love to have a second shot at him. The Dolphins have proved already that you can alter a system to fit certain players and still be successful. I have no doubt he will be successful again. It just remains to be seen if it will be in a Titans uniform.

you need an * after pro bowler. Mother fucker was a third alternate, im my eyes he didnt make the pro bowl.

TFloss32
06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Mike Vick had a strong arm, even if he wasn't accurate. VY can't throw 30 yards down the field.

Seriously? Are you a butt hurt Sooners fan or something?

TFloss32
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
you need an * after pro bowler. Mother fucker was a third alternate, im my eyes he didnt make the pro bowl.

You're entitled to believe that, yet it's the only thing you could highlight out of the very valid points I made. Dude beat both Mannings, had a better year than most (including fellow rookies Cutler and Leinart) with less talent AND made the playoffs. There's just simply no denying his ability. People also forget how young he is and that he came out early. He's played ONE season and he was nothing short of awesome. Do you automatically give up on Troy Aikman when goes 0-11 as a starter in 1989?

Dr. Gonzo
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM

I'm not a fan of any college football team except The Mighty UTSA Roadrunners.

I just calls'em like I sees'em.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
You're entitled to believe that, yet it's the only thing you could highlight out of the very valid points I made. Dude beat both Mannings, had a better year than most (including fellow rookies Cutler and Leinart) with less talent AND made the playoffs. There's just simply no denying his ability.

that was really the only thing I read from your long post lol. Its hard for me to believe that HE beat them. His stats were mediocore. Trent Dilfer beat a crap load of teams with the mighty Bal def but that doesnt mean shit, he still sucks. VY road the coat tails of his def but I guess he was good enough to be a 3rd alternate for a pro bowl invite.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
i'm not a fan of any college football team except the mighty utsa roadrunners.

I just calls'em like i sees'em.

lmao

TFloss32
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
that was really the only thing I read from your long post lol. Its hard for me to believe that HE beat them. His stats were mediocore. Trent Dilfer beat a crap load of teams with the mighty Bal def but that doesnt mean shit, he still sucks. VY road the coat tails of his def but I guess he was good enough to be a 3rd alternate for a pro bowl invite.

Yeah, I figured you didn't read it. He definitely didn't ride his defense man. He brought them back numerous times (especially in New York when they were down 21-0). The good D you're talking about was the '08 Titans, not Vince's rookie year. And Steven...you're funny.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I figured you didn't read it. He definitely didn't ride his defense man. He brought them back numerous times (especially in New York when they were down 21-0). The good D you're talking about was the '08 Titans, not Vince's rookie year. And Steven...you're funny.

So what happened to him in 08? He started and fell apart and then was "injured" which i dont think was legit.

stretch
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
True he did bail out Collins, but then Collins bailed him out too. This year will be the make or break year for VY. If he even plays that is.

And that is where my issue lies with people saying Collins >>>>>>> VY, blah blah blah... because Vince only played one game. and he was 1-0. he got hurt, so Collins took over, and the team was undefeated by time VY was ready, so they figured they might as well just stick with him, keep the rhythm going. Unfortunately, that came back to bite them in the ass, as they realized how incapable Collins really is at making plays when things break down.

ATRAIN
06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
And that is where my issue lies with people saying Collins >>>>>>> VY, blah blah blah... because Vince only played one game. and he was 1-0. he got hurt, so Collins took over, and the team was undefeated by time VY was ready, so they figured they might as well just stick with him, keep the rhythm going. Unfortunately, that came back to bite them in the ass, as they realized how incapable Collins really is at making plays when things break down.

Well that game VY was losing till Collins came in and saved the day. I believe had VY stayed in that game the Titans would have lost that game.

TFloss32
06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
So what happened to him in 08? He started and fell apart and then was "injured" which i dont think was legit.

Are you being serious? He started one game in which he didn't complete because of a sprained knee. I guess my eyes were fooling me when he was rolling around in pain on the field in the first game of '08. And you don't throw him back in when Kerry Collins is undefeated as as starter that season, it makes no sense. Whether his "mental issues" are legit, I don't know. I'm not his psychologist/team doctor. This does not mean, however, that he's incapable of being a starting QB in the NFL, which was my original point. You're being waaaay too critical man. Do you secretly hate the Longhorns or Titans?

dirk4mvp
06-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Are you a butthurt Vince Young fan or something?

stretch
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM

lol duke fan

lol colts fan

lol bandwagon fan

dirk4mvp
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
lol I can't express how much I love Duke :rolleyes

lol ut fan with a ged

lol exercise business

lol vy fan

timvp
06-02-2009, 04:32 PM
The best thing to ever happen to VY were the Brothers of Ting.

stretch
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
lol I can't express how much I love Duke :rolleyes

lol ut fan with a ged

lol exercise business

lol vy fan

lol colts

lol chargers

lol stealers

lol patriots

lol defense

lol protection problems

lol shoestring tackle

lol inferior team ownage

lol 3 rings faggot

dirk4mvp
06-02-2009, 04:35 PM
http://www.cantblame.me/wp-content/uploads/aldavis.jpg

Blake
06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
lol "I want to play"

lol VY

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
To say a guy was the most accurate passer in the NCAA ONLY because of his receivers is ludicrous. With as many teams that there are in the NCAA, and as many receivers that were MUCH better than Sweed and Thomas in the NCAA, it takes a HELL of a lot of talent to do what Vince did. Vince wanted to be in Houston...he thought he was going to Houston..it really messed with his mind when they didn't draft him. Hell...he bought a huge house down there...Houston all but gave him a contract, then backed out on him. Then, when he had some bad games, he was booed..that messed with him. The guy is very accurate, and very talented. I'm a huge college football fan and I watched every Horns game. I saw him thread the needle many times...if he gets a chance to start, whether it be in Tennessee or elsewhere, he's going to show that talent.

TFloss32
06-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Haha, I was waiting on this one Dirk. Nicely played...

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
His actual throwing accuracy is completely different than QB rating.
I'm aware...he was the number one QB by accuracy..

Spursfan092120
06-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Exactly what metric does the NCAA have for "accuracy?" You mean completion percentage? That's not the same thing as accuracy. In the NCAA, if you have athletically superior receivers that get wide open, you can throw it in their general area and they'll catch it. In the NFL, frequently the ball has to be thrown within a narrow window of area and time to get it past the defenders. A QB can't simply evade tacklers long enough for receivers to break containment like VY could do in college.

It's a different skill set, and he doesn't have it and never did.
WTF are you talking about? Accuracy is completion percentage..it's the same damn thing. He was the most accurate QB his senior season...by COMPLETION PERCENTAGE!!

TFloss32
06-02-2009, 05:18 PM
To say a guy was the most accurate passer in the NCAA ONLY because of his receivers is ludicrous. With as many teams that there are in the NCAA, and as many receivers that were MUCH better than Sweed and Thomas in the NCAA, it takes a HELL of a lot of talent to do what Vince did. Vince wanted to be in Houston...he thought he was going to Houston..it really messed with his mind when they didn't draft him. Hell...he bought a huge house down there...Houston all but gave him a contract, then backed out on him. Then, when he had some bad games, he was booed..that messed with him. The guy is very accurate, and very talented. I'm a huge college football fan and I watched every Horns game. I saw him thread the needle many times...if he gets a chance to start, whether it be in Tennessee or elsewhere, he's going to show that talent.

Someone who knows what they're talking about :toast. Good point about his receivers. None of his UT receivers have made an impact in the pros (that is if they were even drafted). Dude is a freak and seriously talented no matter how you slice it.

ATRAIN
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Are you being serious? He started one game in which he didn't complete because of a sprained knee. I guess my eyes were fooling me when he was rolling around in pain on the field in the first game of '08. And you don't throw him back in when Kerry Collins is undefeated as as starter that season, it makes no sense. Whether his "mental issues" are legit, I don't know. I'm not his psychologist/team doctor. This does not mean, however, that he's incapable of being a starting QB in the NFL, which was my original point. You're being waaaay too critical man. Do you secretly hate the Longhorns or Titans?

I dont know man I happen to think he is on his way down and will take a lot to convince me other wise. I am a horn fan, always have been. I love what VY did for this city but I didnt think he was ready for the next level. I hate the Titans so thats a diff story. I just got sick of the VY man love when he left Austin, and I love how his NFL career has gone down the crapper. Is his career over prob not but we will see what happens.

Blake
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't think Vince ever fully realized or still realizes just how much studying you have to do in the NFL as a QB.

In college he just used his natural ability to win against lesser talent.

In the NFL, the talent has leveled out and there are LBs as fast as he is.

And after his rookie year, opposing teams took the game tapes, have forced him to pass and now he has sucked.

I'd lay money down that he will never be a pro bowler again.

Spursfan092120
06-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I dont know man I happen to think he is on his way down and will take a lot to convince me other wise. I am a horn fan, always have been. I love what VY did for this city but I didnt think he was ready for the next level. I hate the Titans so thats a diff story. I just got sick of the VY man love when he left Austin, and I love how his NFL career has gone down the crapper. Is his career over prob not but we will see what happens.
I call bullshit. There's no way in hell you were a Horns fan if you were glad to see Vince fail. If you are so ego driven that you are glad to see someone fail because you thought they might, you need to see a doctor. Especially if you were supposedly a fan of the team that won a title ONLY because of him. Without Vince, that Longhorns team doesn't even play in the Holiday Bowl. You were probably that guy that walked around your office/school telling everyone who would talk to you "I knew he wouldn't make it..I knew it." You're ridiculous. How could you be glad that a guy who brought a team you are supposedly a fan of a title failed in the NFL? That's just complete and utter bullshit. You should be stripped of your fan card. :wow

dirk4mvp
06-03-2009, 02:10 PM
lol big 12 defenses

stretch
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
lol big 12 defenses

lol duke football

dirk4mvp
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
lol duke football

aw man :cry

Dr. Gonzo
06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Duke has a football team?

ATRAIN
06-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I call bullshit. There's no way in hell you were a Horns fan if you were glad to see Vince fail. If you are so ego driven that you are glad to see someone fail because you thought they might, you need to see a doctor. Especially if you were supposedly a fan of the team that won a title ONLY because of him. Without Vince, that Longhorns team doesn't even play in the Holiday Bowl. You were probably that guy that walked around your office/school telling everyone who would talk to you "I knew he wouldn't make it..I knew it." You're ridiculous. How could you be glad that a guy who brought a team you are supposedly a fan of a title failed in the NFL? That's just complete and utter bullshit. You should be stripped of your fan card. :wow

Call what you want. Im a horns fan and have been all my life. Im a Texans fan and a Titans hater since I was a oilers fan so the moment he became a Texan I wrote him off. Same thing with Michael Griffen. Its not that I want them to fail or I want VY to commit suicide or anything. I knew VY's transition from college to the pros wasnt going to be successfull and im glad Houston passed up on him. I didnt want reggie either for the record. Vy was a GREAT college player but I wasnt blinded by the Austin nut hugging that happened around here. It was disgusting and if you lived in Austin you could see it. The CBS affiliate here in Austin started televising Titan games instead of Texans games. There were a lot of bandwagon TITAN fans once VY was drafted. Anyways saying I should be stripped of being a Horns fan because I stupid if you dont know my reasoning.

dirk4mvp
06-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Duke has a football team?

They beat the Texans in an exhibition game.

dirk4mvp
06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
LOL throwing some bait....

LOL getting owned by Texans fan

bait!

Extra Stout
06-03-2009, 03:10 PM
WTF are you talking about? Accuracy is completion percentage..it's the same damn thing. He was the most accurate QB his senior season...by COMPLETION PERCENTAGE!!
In college, VY had to be "accurate" enough to throw the ball through a doorway to complete passes. His team had superior athletes. He could evade defenders long enough for coverages to break down. He could throw it in the general area and his receivers could go get it.

That doesn't work in the pros. He has to be accurate enough to throw the ball through a car tire. Everyone is a superior athlete. The QB has to read the defense, make a quick decision, and get the ball to just the right spot at just the right time to make a completion. A QB can't just get by on his vast athletic ability, like Vince could at UT.

UT coaches understood this. They tried to make Vince a fundamentally sound QB. He struggled. They finally gave up and let him rely on his athletic ability and wits, and he was so much a men among boys on the college level that he could dominate on those alone.

Not so in the NFL.

You write like the correlation between completion percentage and accuracy is obvious. That's like seeing that Allen Iverson scores a whole bunch of points and figuring he must be a really great offensive player. But if one watches the game, the truth that doesn't show up in the numbers becomes apparent. When Vince throws, the ball flutters on him because his throwing motion sucks (the Uncle Rico windup). He doesn't get the velocity other pro QB's get. He is slow to make decisions. You see the best QB's, and they get the ball, make the decision where to throw it, and the ball gets there fast. Vince has shown no signs of being able to do those things. And, sorry to say, good NFL QB's can't have below-average intelligence like Vince does. The difference between a mobile but occasionally scatter-armed QB like Donovan McNabb and Young is that McNabb is smart and can make good decisions on the field. You notice his receiving corps over his career with the exception of the T.O. years has been complete garbage, yet he has been able to distinguish himself as a pretty good QB.

VY has lots of athletic talent, but I don't think he will ever amount to anything as an NFL QB. Perhaps if he switched to WR, he could become like an Antawn Randal-El or something.

mookie2001
06-03-2009, 03:11 PM

ehhh you dont remember too well either, he left after his junior year

and what the fuck is anyone talking about receivers, vince never had anyone noteworthy to throw to, limas as a sophmore, brian carter and tony jeffery??

the bottom line is from a longhorn fans point of view, unless youre a diehard titans fan, nobody gives a shit what he does in the nfl, because he won at texas, yeah its good for recruiting but i really dont want any more russell shepards or pryors, id rather have conner woods and g gilberts

IM STILL GLAD HE TURNED OUT BETTER THAN REGGIE MCNEAL (people forget this was still debatable until vinces jr year)

youre telling me if steven mcgee won a MNC at a&m that any aggy would give a fat rats ass what he did in the nfl? hell no, but because he went in the 5th round to dallas and graham harrell went undrafted, hes like the great aggy hope again and Texags might start a new website devoted to mcgee in the nfl

yes like 80% of the players in the nfl vince has a big head and wants to play, big fucking deal

I hope he starts one day for tenn because theyve got scaife and mike griffin and ahmard hall but no longhorn fan is losing any sleep when we've got the best qb in the nation now and just got a commit from best hs qb in the nation and just signed the best freshman qb in the nation

Dr. Gonzo
06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
You better be careful Mookie. That spursfan douche might take away your Longhorn fan card.

Extra Stout
06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I agree with mookie2001. You don't see Aggie obsessing about how the Atlanta Hawks are ignoring Acie Law's talent and how he'd be Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant all wrapped into one if only he had the right teammates.

Yeah, I know making it to the Sweet 16 once isn't like winning the BCS title game essentially by oneself, but when you're starving, and someone throws you a cracker... (apologies to Eddie Murphy).

Blake
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM

and what the fuck is anyone talking about receivers, vince never had anyone noteworthy to throw to, limas as a sophmore, brian carter and tony jeffery??

the bottom line is from a longhorn fans point of view, unless youre a diehard titans fan, nobody gives a shit what he does in the nfl, because he won at texas, yeah its good for recruiting but i really dont want any more russell shepards or pryors, id rather have conner woods and g gilberts

IM STILL GLAD HE TURNED OUT BETTER THAN REGGIE MCNEAL (people forget this was still debatable until vinces jr year)

youre telling me if steven mcgee won a MNC at a&m that any aggy would give a fat rats ass what he did in the nfl? hell no, but because he went in the 5th round to dallas and graham harrell went undrafted, hes like the great aggy hope again and Texags might start a new website devoted to mcgee in the nfl

yes like 80% of the players in the nfl vince has a big head and wants to play, big fucking deal

I hope he starts one day for tenn because theyve got scaife and mike griffin and ahmard hall but no longhorn fan is losing any sleep when we've got the best qb in the nation now and just got a commit from best hs qb in the nation and just signed the best freshman qb in the nation

:lmao

lol steven mcgee > mcneal

TFloss32
06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Call what you want. Im a horns fan and have been all my life. Im a Texans fan and a Titans hater since I was a oilers fan so the moment he became a Texan I wrote him off. Same thing with Michael Griffen. Its not that I want them to fail or I want VY to commit suicide or anything. I knew VY's transition from college to the pros wasnt going to be successfull and im glad Houston passed up on him. I didnt want reggie either for the record. Vy was a GREAT college player but I wasnt blinded by the Austin nut hugging that happened around here. It was disgusting and if you lived in Austin you could see it. The CBS affiliate here in Austin started televising Titan games instead of Texans games. There were a lot of bandwagon TITAN fans once VY was drafted. Anyways saying I should be stripped of being a Horns fan because I stupid if you dont know my reasoning.

So it is because you're a Titans hater...I lived in Austin during the National Championship season and the "nut hugging" was not nearly to the extreme you say it was. He put Texas back on the map and never did a thing to make anyone dislike him. He never got in trouble, wasn't cocky and he took care business on the field. People loved Vince because they were a UT student, alum or they took pride in their town. Do you know how much money he brought to the city and university? Not to mention how he alone made the UT program exponentially better for years to come. He deserved every bit of "man love" he received (and then some) after bringing Texas their first title in 30+ years and dethroning USC. How can you hate on arguably the greatest college football player ever (especially when he played for the team you root for)? Did he blow you off for an autograph or sleep with you girlfriend?

On a side note...how can you say he's declining when he hasn't even "failed" yet? The dude had a Pro Bowl season and then sat out an entire year. Also, the 2006 NFL Draft was a sad sight to see. The Houston Texans should've taken Vince for ticket sales alone.

Spursfan092120
06-03-2009, 08:03 PM

yeah..my bad..when I said Senior year, I meant his last year...I forgot..lol..oops...truth is, Vince has a lot of talent, and will start somewhere again...and will make Tennessee either glad they held on to him, or sorry they let him go.

Spursfan092120
06-03-2009, 08:07 PM

lol steven mcgee > mcneal
He will be...this coming from a Horns fan. McGee will be better than McNeal..and that won't take much. He was a below standard WR for Cincinnati and a 3rd string QB only because Wright was hurt. McNeal was not successful...McGee is fast..and has a cannon. Blake..do you even think before you hate, or does it come second nature?

jack sommerset
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
They ain't going to win a championship with Kerry Collins and/or a healthy Pats/Steelers team. Put Young in and hope he stops being a freaking cunt and can improve.

Dr. Gonzo
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Also, the 2006 NFL Draft was a sad sight to see. The Houston Texans should've taken Vince for ticket sales alone.

The Texans don't need help with ticket sales. They sale out all of their home games. And why pick a player that is overrated and not a need for the team just to sell tickets? You must think the Texans are owned by Jerry Jones and not a smart owner that cares about winning more than just media whoring.

Spursfan092120
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
The Texans don't need help with ticket sales. They sale out all of their home games. And why pick a player that is overrated and not a need for the team just to sell tickets? You must think the Texans are owned by Jerry Jones and not a smart owner that cares about winning more than just media whoring.
yeah...cuz Jerry doesn't have 3 Super Bowl Rings...more than most owners ever get...you're an idiot.

Dr. Gonzo
06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
yeah...cuz Jerry doesn't have 3 Super Bowl Rings...more than most owners ever get...you're an idiot.

Everyone knows those are Jimmy Johnson's rings. If he was such a great owner and football genius why has he not won a playoff game in over a decade?

Blake
06-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Everyone knows those are Jimmy Johnson's rings. If he was such a great owner and football genius why has he not won a playoff game in over a decade?

it also helps when a team like the vikings throws 100 draft picks the Cowboys way in exchange for an overthehill herschel...

thanks to the trade, after 1992, the Cowboys ultimately ended up with guys like:
RB Emmitt Smith
DT Russell Maryland
CB Kevin Smith
S Darren Woodson
CB Clayton Holmes

while the Vikes best player from that deal ended up being WR Jake Reed.

dirk4mvp
06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
But Jerry Jones is a smart owner! He made a big new stadium!

SpursPreacher
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I agree with young though as a titans fan I want him to start over the crypt keeper collins. And if you look at it the titans record is great with young then over collins despite last year.Vince got a titans team that had nowhere near the talent it had last year to the playoffs the year before,and were one win away from going to the playoffs the previous year.

manufan10
06-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Last time I checked, Jerry doesn't play on the field. The reason they haven't won is because of lack of talent, and then guys not playing up to their potential. Jerry signs the checks, the players are the one's doing the playing. Sure Jerry has not made some great pick ups, but the recent failures aren't all Jerry's fault. He's given this team chances to win, but injuries and mental lapses have kept this team from producing in the post-season.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 10:40 AM
That's a result of picking up players that are mentally weak and have character issues. That's on the GM to pick up strong team players and smart players. Jerry is the GM. So it's his fault he picked up players that choke in the playoffs.

manufan10
06-04-2009, 10:53 AM
That's a result of picking up players that are mentally weak and have character issues. That's on the GM to pick up strong team players and smart players. Jerry is the GM. So it's his fault he picked up players that choke in the playoffs.

I think he has picked up smart players. It's not that they choked, they've just been outplayed in the playoffs. Anyone can see that they have had the talent. Is it on the players, most definitely. You can't put the loss on the GM/Owner when the players don't play up to standards. You can put it on the coaching staff for not having their players ready, but the GM/Owner did his job. He gave the coaching staff a team good enough to win in the playoffs. The players/coaching staff didn't come through.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 11:00 AM
So you are saying the Jerry Jones is a good GM?

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Last time I checked, Jerry doesn't play on the field. The reason they haven't won is because of lack of talent, and then guys not playing up to their potential. Jerry signs the checks, the players are the one's doing the playing. Sure Jerry has not made some great pick ups, but the recent failures aren't all Jerry's fault. He's given this team chances to win, but injuries and mental lapses have kept this team from producing in the post-season.

Thats not totally true the reason they havent won was because the last time they won there wasnt a salary cap. Jerry Jones spent like George Steinbrenner.

Back to topic, Vince sucks as a pro.

manufan10
06-04-2009, 11:16 AM

So you're saying you liked having David Carr as your starting QB along with Sage Rosenfels? Vince Young is a better QB than both of those. Houston should have taken a chance on their hometown guy. He led the Longhorns to and won the National Championship game. He was a guy the team NEEDED. Vince Young would have helped the Texans in ways that Carr and Rosenfels couldn't.

manufan10
06-04-2009, 11:18 AM

He's willing to put together a winning team no matter what. So yes he is. If it costs him money, if he has to risks, he does it. He wants to win. Sometimes there's a huge failure in the risks, but that is a chance you take with a risk. I'd rather have Jerry Jones run my team than most other Owners/GM's.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 11:19 AM
So you're saying you liked having David Carr as your starting QB along with Sage Rosenfels? Vince Young is a better QB than both of those. Houston should have taken a chance on their hometown guy. He led the Longhorns to and won the National Championship game. He was a guy the team NEEDED. Vince Young would have helped the Texans in ways that Carr and Rosenfels couldn't.

Mario has proven so far to be the better pick.

stretch
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Very true.

Although I think Vince would have been more successful had he been picked by Houston. I don't think he would have been micromanaged the way he was in Tennessee, being forced to play outside of his comfort zone. Im sure they would have let him just go out and be a playmaker, kinda like how Tennessee did in his first year, and he looked quite good. Plus, having Andre Johnson there would have likely helped a lot too...

manufan10
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Thats not totally true the reason they havent won was because the last time they won there wasnt a salary cap. Jerry Jones spent like George Steinbrenner.

Back to topic, Vince sucks as a pro.

How's that not true? In the 2000-2003 there wasn't a great deal of talent on the Cowboys team. Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones started to bring in guys/draft guys that were better players. In 2007, the Cowboys had the players/talent to make a deep run in the playoffs. They didn't. Why? It wasn't because of Jerry Jones, which is my point. It's because they didn't execute and the Giants did. The same in 2006 against the Seahawks. The Cowboys could and should have won the game, but a bobbled snap and the Seahawks doing a better job overall kept the Cowboys from winning. How is that Jerry's fault? He didn't make Romo bobble the snap on a field goal attempt.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM

Plus he was a Legit pro bowler not a 10th alternate.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Very true.

Although I think Vince would have been more successful had he been picked by Houston. I don't think he would have been micromanaged the way he was in Tennessee, being forced to play outside of his comfort zone. Im sure they would have let him just go out and be a playmaker, kinda like how Tennessee did in his first year, and he looked quite good. Plus, having Andre Johnson there would have likely helped a lot too...

Id rather have a def studd. After all what wins championships? DEF!! Had the Texas def not stopped USC vince wouldnt have ran that last TD in.

manufan10
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Yes, we can say that now, but three years ago? I doubt it. I know many Texans fans who were pissed because the Texans "screwed up" in the draft by selecting Mario. They wanted either Vince Young or Reggie Bush. Can you blame them? It's easy to sit here now and say that Mario is the better player, but looking back to 2006 at putting yourself in THAT time period Vince Young would have been a damn good choice and would have helped the Texans better than Carr or Rosenfels.

stretch
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Id rather have a def studd. After all what wins championships? DEF!! Had the Texas def not stopped USC vince wouldnt have ran that last TD in.

Oh I don't argue that one bit. I think Williams has turned out to be a fantastic pick and is one of the best DEs in football. I'm just saying, I think that Vince would have turned out a lot better in Houston than he would have in Tennessee. I think Houston would have let him play his way, as opposed to Norm Chow in Tennessee trying to turn VY into Matt Leinart.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes, we can say that now, but three years ago? I doubt it. I know many Texans fans who were pissed because the Texans "screwed up" in the draft by selecting Mario. They wanted either Vince Young or Reggie Bush. Can you blame them? It's easy to sit here now and say that Mario is the better player, but looking back to 2006 at putting yourself in THAT time period Vince Young would have been a damn good choice and would have helped the Texans better than Carr or Rosenfels.

Well yes a lot of guys either wanted VY or Reggie. I didnt however. I had a feeling VY couldnt transition his game over and Reggie well we is great in the open field but as a premire back, no thanks. Hell Anything was an upgrade over Carr, but Schaub when healthy has been pretty damn good. Shit with Schaub and Rosencopter our off was top 3 in the league last year. Its easy to sit here and say Mario is better right now and could get better!! He should have gotten a pro bowl his 2nd year but got robbed. Sorry but we cant play what if games when facts prove Mario is the better choice.

manufan10
06-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Well yes a lot of guys either wanted VY or Reggie. I didnt however. I had a feeling VY couldnt transition his game over and Reggie well we is great in the open field but as a premire back, no thanks. Hell Anything was an upgrade over Carr, but Schaub when healthy has been pretty damn good. Shit with Schaub and Rosencopter our off was top 3 in the league last year. Its easy to sit here and say Mario is better right now and could get better!! He should have gotten a pro bowl his 2nd year but got robbed. Sorry but we cant play what if games when facts prove Mario is the better choice.

2006 there was no Schaub on the Texans. Look back to what Vince Young accomplished his rookie season, with no go to wide receiver. Now look at what the Texans accomplished on offense with Carr and a go to receiver. You want facts, in 2006 Vince Young was better than Mario Williams.

VY 2006:

Completed 51% of his passes. Threw 12 TD's and 13 INT'S with no go to receiver. Threw for 2,199 yards, again with no real go to receiver. He also rushed 83 times for 552 yards and 7 TD's.

David Carr: Completed 68% of his passes. Threw 11 TD's and 12 INT's with a legitimate got to receiver. Threw for 2,767 yards, again with a legitimate go to receiver. He rushed 53 times for 195 yards and 2 TD's.

Mario Williams:

Tackles: 47 Solo: 35 Assists: 12 Sacks: 4 Forced Fumbles: 1

Those aren't really great numbers for a number one pick. Again, I say that putting myself in 2006, Vince Young was the better choice. If Vince Young had a legitimate go to receiver like an Andre Johnson, he would have been a better QB. Now looking back, when we've seen how the career paths have gone, it's easier to say that Mario Williams was the better choice. Actually putting yourself there at the time, it's a risk that the Texans made. Vince Young, at that time, looked like he would have been a better choice.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 11:59 AM
2006 there was no Schaub on the Texans. Look back to what Vince Young accomplished his rookie season, with no go to wide receiver. Now look at what the Texans accomplished on offense with Carr and a go to receiver. You want facts, in 2006 Vince Young was better than Mario Williams.

VY 2006:

Completed 51% of his passes. Threw 12 TD's and 13 INT'S with no go to receiver. Threw for 2,199 yards, again with no real go to receiver. He also rushed 83 times for 552 yards and 7 TD's.

David Carr: Completed 68% of his passes. Threw 11 TD's and 12 INT's with a legitimate got to receiver. Threw for 2,767 yards, again with a legitimate go to receiver. He rushed 53 times for 195 yards and 2 TD's.

Mario Williams:

Tackles: 47 Solo: 35 Assists: 12 Sacks: 4 Forced Fumbles: 1

Those aren't really great numbers for a number one pick. Again, I say that putting myself in 2006, Vince Young was the better choice. If Vince Young had a legitimate go to receiver like an Andre Johnson, he would have been a better QB. Now looking back, when we've seen how the career paths have gone, it's easier to say that Mario Williams was the better choice. Actually putting yourself there at the time, it's a risk that the Texans made. Vince Young, at that time, looked like he would have been a better choice.

yeah at the time...fast forward to present day and Mario has turned out to be the better choice.

stretch
06-04-2009, 11:59 AM
just saw an article where Jeff Fisher said that Vince Young will be the starter for the Titans in the near future.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
"Completed 51% of his passes. Threw 12 TD's and 13 INT'S with no go to receiver. Threw for 2,199 yards, again with no real go to receiver. He also rushed 83 times for 552 yards and 7 TD's.
"
Those arent stellar stats for a number 1 pick either.

Look at Matt Ryans stats last year, now those are stellar stats for a number 1 pick and he wasnt anywhere near a national title in college.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
just saw an article where Jeff Fisher said that Vince Young will be the starter for the Titans in the near future.

As a Texans fan I hope so lol.

stretch
06-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Look at Matt Ryans stats last year, now those are stellar stats for a number 1 pick and he wasnt anywhere near a national title in college.

lol roddy white

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
lol roddy white

He had a great year last year so why the lol?

stretch
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
As a Texans fan I hope so lol.

Why? He is undefeated against them.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Why? He is undefeated against them.

yeah I know but if he becomes starter again that wont be the case.

stretch
06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
He had a great year last year so why the lol?

because Roddy White > all Titans recievers combined X 10

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
because Roddy White > all Titans recievers combined X 10

oh lol ok yeah thats true. Would you say Andre Johnson > Roddy?

stretch
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
oh lol ok yeah thats true. Would you say Andre Johnson > Roddy?

yes

manufan10
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
"Completed 51% of his passes. Threw 12 TD's and 13 INT'S with no go to receiver. Threw for 2,199 yards, again with no real go to receiver. He also rushed 83 times for 552 yards and 7 TD's.
"

Considering what the Texans had at QB, Vince Young would have been a better pick up. To say that the Texans didn't need a better QB is wrong. VY had comparable numbers to David Carr, but VY didn't have a go to receiver. Drew Bennett was his number one guy, and Andre Johnson is 100X better than him. I think VY could have made the Texans a better offensive team. Like Stretch said earlier, VY would have done a much better job under the Texans offensive coaches than under Norm Chow. Give VY some weapons, and he'll be a better QB. He may not be the best QB of all time, but he will be better than a lot of QB's that are starting in the league.

fyatuk
06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
It's easy to sit here now and say that Mario is the better player, but looking back to 2006 at putting yourself in THAT time period Vince Young would have been a damn good choice and would have helped the Texans better than Carr or Rosenfels.

Back then I had it Williams, Young, Bush (with Bush being way out in 3rd and Williams and Young being close. There were actually several other players I would have taken over Bush).

I think they Texans made the right choice for them, but I do agree that Young would have done significantly better in Houston than Tennessee.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Rosencopter > Young

manufan10
06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I think you are delusional.

Spursfan092120
06-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Who made the Herschel Walker trade?

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I think you are delusional.

It's a fact. I would take a good decision making QB with a strong arm over a borderline retard that scores a 10 on the Wonderlic and can't throw more than 15 yards down field.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Who made the Herschel Walker trade?

Your mom.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Tim Hasselbeck >> Vince Young

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
John Secada >> Enrique Iglesias >> Vince Young

manufan10
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
It's a fact. I would take a good decision making QB with a strong arm over a borderline retard that scores a 10 on the Wonderlic and can't throw more than 15 yards down field.

I doubt that Rosenfels is that good of a decision maker, hence the Rosencopter. I'll take a playmaker.

manufan10
06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Your mom.

Wow, we're back in 6th grade again. :sleep :rolleyes

manufan10
06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
"

I went back and looked at the stats for the first pick QB's taken in the draft for the last 10 years. Vince Young's stats are comparable to most guys in their first season. Other guys were huge busts like Alex Smith. Carson Palmer has some of the better stats, but he didn't start off right away as a rookie. Peyton Manning had the best stats as a rookie QB, but others like Hall of Famer Troy Aikman had similar stats. I'd say as a rookie, Vince Young had a very good season at a QB position. Similar to the guys who were chosen before him in previous years. I'd also go "out on a limb" and say that playing QB in the NFL is a lot harder position to learn and play than a defensive end.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
That's why VY is going to fail as a pro. He isn't smart.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Uncle Jesse >> Balky Bartokumous >> Benson >> Vince Young

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 01:49 PM
John Secada >> Enrique Iglesias >> Vince Young