PDA

View Full Version : Did Gooden do enough?

raspsa
06-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Do you think Gooden did enough in the limited games he played to convince the FO to throw some serious money at him?

draft87
06-02-2009, 03:13 AM
how much money are we talking about?

he showed much needed offensive skills-points/rebounding

was lost during the playoffs, but can't really fault him. he joined way late in the season and saw a few different rotation adjustments with the ginobili/mason/hill situations and then a huge adjustment to dallas. the spurs systems are complicated enough that i wouldn't hold it against him for being worthless from game 2 out.

if the FO has a nice sit down where he buys in to the system i think he's a keeper for 3 yrs 8 million? am i totally making up numbers here? what's the guideline for a player of his experience? he might be too young for a 'veteran's minimum' but i guess what i'm saying is so far he's proven to be offense only. maybe give him a 1 year deal saying, "play some monster d, prove you can guard Dirk, LA, Pau, West, A Jeff, KG, Griffin?, and then we'll talk about long term" unless this summer comes up empty and we definitely need a big that can provide 8-15pts and 5-10 rebounds per game.

xellos88330
06-02-2009, 04:08 AM
I agree with giving him another year. If he works out, great! If not, trade material.

I think he came close to earning his money. If he had been able to play for a whole season I could have a better idea whether or not he has bought into the system or not.

Obstructed_View
06-02-2009, 04:50 AM
It usually takes players, especially bigs, a year to figure out the defense. Gooden had a few games and everyone started talking about what an idiot he was. The fact that he managed to get on the floor so quickly should be a plus not a minus.

TJastal
06-02-2009, 06:41 AM
They need to put his ass on the stairmaster, every time they showed a close up of him running his bottom lip and jaw were jiggling and he made running up and down the court look like hard work

exstatic
06-02-2009, 07:32 AM
His agent is the one that represented Stephen Jackson. He turned down like a 3yrs/$9M contract and then signed in ATL for 1yr/$1M. They won't be offering the Spurs a discount. If the Spurs don't come across with the money they want (likely, the entire MLE), he'll just leave, possibly to sign with someone else for less again.

Anyone who bought a Gooden Spurs jersey has an excellent chance of owning a collector's item. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where he comes back.

Stump
06-02-2009, 07:35 AM
He wasn't quite as effective in the playoffs, but that's understandable given his short time with the team and his injury.

He should remain an option, but I certainly wouldn't consider him a primary one. There are a handful of trade opportunities and other free agents that would be more appealing than Gooden, especially since the Spurs will likely have to use part of the MLE to keep him.

Extra Stout
06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Gooden came in with a reputation as a player with good offensive talent, who could rebound, but was kind of clueless on how to play within a team system. He also was known as a knucklehead.

While he behaved himself as a Spur, his play was that of a player with good offensive talent, who rebounded, but was clueless on how to play within a team system. He was a black hole when he got the ball, and had zero concept of team defense. I don't think this was because he was unwilling; he really seemed to want to fit in, but it just doesn't seem like he's smart enough to "get it."

When the Spurs signed Gooden, to several observers around the country it looked like a sign of desperation from a team totally depleted in talent around its big 3. Based upon the result of the season, I would say those observers were correct. It goes to show just what a steaming pile of dogshit the roster was that 1) Gooden looked like a real improvement, 2) Spurs fans' perception of talent has been recalibrated so that he seems like he could be a major contributor going forward.

In sum, Gooden has a place in an NBA rotation as a journeyman big man, but not as a guy who gets lots of money thrown at him. That he even has a place in an NBA rotation is more than can be said for the likes of Matt Bonner or Fabricio Oberto at this point.

P.S. R.C. Buford sucks at his job and should be fired.

urunobili
06-02-2009, 08:08 AM
not more than 12 mill for a couple of years... same money Gortat should get...

Avitus1
06-02-2009, 09:04 AM
No.

sam1617
06-02-2009, 09:28 AM
No, Gooden should go get a chunk of money from some crap team, and be a more crazy, less violent Zach Randolph type player, putting up decent to good numbers for a terrible team.

Gooden is an idiot when it comes to playing within his teams gameplan, unless that said plan involves him shooting whenever he gets the ball and standing around the rest of the time. And I would rather have Fabby's dessicated corpse out there on defense than Gooden.

benefactor
06-02-2009, 09:41 AM
The Gooden situation is an interesting one. We really only had a small sample but from what we saw we know that he is solid offensively all around and can rebound...though his rebounding seemed to regress a bit towards the end of his stint. He was without a doubt a black hole, even to the point that he could not pass out of double teams. On defense he was serviceable, but that is pretty much all we hoped for when we got him.

He basically had a crash course in the system, so one cannot definitively say that he is incapable of learning it...but from what we have seen in the past with previous teams it makes one wonder. Overall, I think there are just too many questions to commit significant money/contract length to him. If he would agree to a one year MLE deal that might be the best case scenario if we wanted to give him a shot at a full season with us. But honestly, he will probably be looking for more than that...and if that is the case then he should look elsewhere.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2009, 09:46 AM
When the Spurs signed Gooden, to several observers around the country it looked like a sign of desperation from a team totally depleted in talent around its big 3. Based upon the result of the season, I would say those observers were correct. It goes to show just what a steaming pile of dogshit the roster was that 1) Gooden looked like a real improvement, 2) Spurs fans' perception of talent has been recalibrated so that he seems like he could be a major contributor going forward.

It's true. I even got drawn into thinking he was good for us, and I used to constantly say how bad this guy sucked ever since he was drafted.

What this team needs is a draft pick of at least a George Hill surprise level, but a big man. Oh wait, no first round pick.

Twisted_Dawg
06-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I wonder if he already fell into the Black Hole known as Pop's Doghouse?

Without a doubt, I am sure Pop has received Mike Brown's opinion of Gooden, and based on Brown's opinion, Gooden's short Spur experieince (on the court & in the locker room), the Spur's will make a decision on offering him a contract.

Early Money: Don't count on it.

ploto
06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Does he even want to come back is more the question after riding the pine in the playoffs and being out in the first round?

wildbill2u
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Hard to judge Gooden based on his play here. He was in a short term situation with a FA year coming up. Since many people, including knuckleheaded players, think the bottom line is scoring (and a little rebounding doesn't hurt), the incentive was there for him to shoot every time to make a better deal this summer, if not with the Spurs then with some other team.

I'd imagine Mike Brown gave Pop all his info BEFORE the Spurs picked Gooden up. They talk all the time. So Pop probably knew what he was buying into--and he still pulled the trigger.

My guess is that he will want more than he's worth to the Spurs and will go off somewhere chasing the buck a la Stephen Jackson. Some think players are fools for chasing the bucks instead of a championship, but for most people, the buck is where it stops. Especially for a run of the mill big who is never going to be a superstar.

Extra Stout
06-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey Extra Stout, how many rings does RC have? Another angry pesudo-fan that hates the FO when they aren't doing their best but kiss their ass when they are winning. The Spurs can't win it all every year, buddy.
R.C. Buford has four rings. His poor performance over the past several years ensures he has a negligible chance at a fifth. He was ahead of the curve five to ten years ago with regard to international scouting, but the rest of the league has long since caught up and surpassed the Spurs.

sananspursfan21
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
i've heard mixed things about him even wanting to stay. i don't know if the spurs fo want him back, but gooden originally said he wanted to be a spur for the rest of his career but then later i heard some rumor about him wanting to leave. i don't know though, i can't garuantee anything that i just typed was true

SenorSpur
06-02-2009, 01:10 PM
The Gooden situation IS indeed an interesting one.

On one hand, I believe we saw flashes of what he could be and how he could help the Spurs. Though he's not the greatest low-post defender in the world, he can create his own shot and is big and phsyical. I don't get too caught up in the whole "black hole" thing because I trust that Pop could "coach" that part out of his game. The bottom line is he definitely adds value, especially from a low-post scoring and rebounding perspective. The mere fact that the Spurs do not have another viable option, like him, on the roster makes it worth looking at him again. The Spurs would be foolish to simply let him walk without so much as a possible negotiation discussion. As such, I wouldn't mind seeing him back at a reasonable, short-term deal.

On the other hand, if the Spurs are able to nab a guy like Marcin Gortat (Orlando), via free agency, then that acquisition would make Gooden expendable.

jacobdrj
06-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Keep Gooden. Not for more than 7 mill a year.

Brutalis
06-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Gooden wants to be a Spur but at what cost is the question. Like some mentioned above anything over 5-7 mil is pushing it. We saw good flashes and Pop did have handcuffs on him a lot so yeah.

rogcl1
06-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Keep Gooden. Not for more than 7 mill a year.

If Drew Gooden gets 7 million or more, then the NBA deserves to go the way of GM(Government Motors)

rayray2k8
06-02-2009, 07:17 PM
He did enough to want to keep him, but he'll ask for too much.
Expect the spurs to let him walk.

ploto
06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Some think players are fools for chasing the bucks instead of a championship, but for most people, the buck is where it stops.

People used to be able to talk about taking a pay cut to play for the Spurs for a chance to win a championship, but can you even claim it to be true anymore? Do the Spurs have that ammunition left ahead of a bunch of other teams where players may think they have a better chance to win a title.

BackHome
06-02-2009, 09:02 PM
The league is so competative that no longer is it up to two teams on who will win a ring. So decent players can get good contracts for playing for teams that have a legit chance in winning a ring.

As far as Gooden sometimes I liked him and sometimes he sucked. He kinda reminds me of a friend of mine who has been divorced four times. When we go out all the guys are like "Wow she is cool" and I just laugh and say wait till you get to know her..Ok she is bi-polar but she is still cool to hang out with. My point is that he has been in the league something like 7 years and has been traded six times. I think you got to see the warning signs before you propose.

FaithInOne
06-02-2009, 09:02 PM
HE'S A POST WHO CAN POST UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a GD rarity for the Spurs!

SouthTexasRancher
06-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Do you think Gooden did enough in the limited games he played to convince the FO to throw some serious money at him?

I think we all saw where Gooden fits into Pop's plans. He was head cheerleader in Pop's Dog House come playoff time. I don't know what some of the better players to come along do that gets them in trouble with Pop but, something happens. Usually these players go on to another team and don't end up doing much.

On the other hand some seem to do very well in another system. I'm afraid next season will be more of this past season because of the contract situations. The trouble is the big name players in 2010 that will be Free Agents will end up going to bigger markets that have owners with ego's as big as the Pacific ocean.

Since Pop has coached us to 4 NBA Championships and along with RC Buford, been instrumental in bringing us quality players like Tony & Manu to name two, I have faith they will do the right thing for the team and try to get us Trophy #5 while Tim is still playing. And I do think Pop and RC are very aware we need to get younger, more athletic, taller, longer and learn to play lockdown Defense again. JMHO

Ditty
06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
i would hope that bonner would be traded so we could sign gooden for 1 year worth like 2 million what bonners contract is worth we cant give him a good contract without truly proving himself but i think if we get a big man this offseason gooden could take alot of offense off tim when tim goes tot he bench

Agloco
06-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Gooden came in with a reputation as a player with good offensive talent, who could rebound, but was kind of clueless on how to play within a team system. He also was known as a knucklehead.

While he behaved himself as a Spur, his play was that of a player with good offensive talent, who rebounded, but was clueless on how to play within a team system. He was a black hole when he got the ball, and had zero concept of team defense. I don't think this was because he was unwilling; he really seemed to want to fit in, but it just doesn't seem like he's smart enough to "get it."

In sum, Gooden has a place in an NBA rotation as a journeyman big man, but not as a guy who gets lots of money thrown at him. That he even has a place in an NBA rotation is more than can be said for the likes of Matt Bonner or Fabricio Oberto at this point.

P.S. R.C. Buford sucks at his job and should be fired.

/thread

Yuixafun
06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
They need to put his ass on the stairmaster, every time they showed a close up of him running his bottom lip and jaw were jiggling and he made running up and down the court look like hard work

Vivid.

No more jalisco's tacos for Drew.

hater
06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Gooden was the 3rd most talented player in the team instantly. by far

austinwn7
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
i think he did better than Kurt Thomas. Kurt Thomas has been a dump. I think Gooden will get better as he learns the system this summer in training camp.

Galileo
06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Keep Gooden. He is an above average big man and very talented. He needs to work on his passing, defense, and off ball movement.

He can learn this from Pop and Tim Duncan.

Gooden is the best talent to play next to Duncan since D-Rob got old.

He is 6'10", strong, a # 4 pick, sandwiched inside 1st team all-American & 1st team all-Rookie seasons. He started for a team that went to the NBA finals.

He is a very good rebounder and has scored double digits every year of his career. Last season was his best ever for points per minute.

spurspokesman
06-05-2009, 07:00 AM
The Gooden situation IS indeed an interesting one.

On one hand, I believe we saw flashes of what he could be and how he could help the Spurs. Though he's not the greatest low-post defender in the world, he can create his own shot and is big and phsyical. I don't get too caught up in the whole "black hole" thing because I trust that Pop could "coach" that part out of his game. The bottom line is he definitely adds value, especially from a low-post scoring and rebounding perspective. The mere fact that the Spurs do not have another viable option, like him, on the roster makes it worth looking at him again. The Spurs would be foolish to simply let him walk without so much as a possible negotiation discussion. As such, I wouldn't mind seeing him back at a reasonable, short-term deal.

On the other hand, if the Spurs are able to nab a guy like Marcin Gortat (Orlando), via free agency, then that acquisition would make Gooden expendable.
:toast. Despite what everybody thinks this guy looked like an all star out there this year compared to the trash we had of A team. He at least made it interesting. If martin gortat doesn't show he definetely deserves A look. Finally A big who can SCORE. Defense doesn't win championships if you can't SCORE. He can work on his D but he is offensively superior to 75% of our roster. PERIOD. Believe it or not he's A diamond in the ruff. Just needs A little teaching. Im for the Drew dog.

Extra Stout
06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Gooden was the 3rd most talented player in the team instantly. by far

This should be stickied to the forum somewhere. This should be Exhibit A for why R.C. Buford needs to be ridden out of town on a rail.

A player that a 17-65 Sacramento Kings team couldn't wait to get rid of instantly became the third-best player on a team that thought it was going to win something.

JustinJDW
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I liked Gooden, and I don't understand why everyone gave him a hard time. I want the Spurs to resign him, but I doubt they will. Next Season, I would love for our Big Man Lineup to be something like this.

Center - Drew Gooden/Ian Mahinmi
Power Forward - Tim Duncan/Matt Bonner or James Gist or Draft Pick

trajik dark
06-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I liked Gooden, and I don't understand why everyone gave him a hard time. I want the Spurs to resign him, but I doubt they will. Next Season, I would love for our Big Man Lineup to be something like this.

Center - Drew Gooden/Ian Mahinmi
Power Forward - Tim Duncan/Matt Bonner or James Gist or Draft Pickhe want be back hell when our back was against the wall pop knew we needed offense and still kept good on the bench i feel if we would have went wit parker,hill,bowen,good,and duncan as the starters against dallas in game 4 our chances would have been better

Obstructed_View
06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
This should be stickied to the forum somewhere. This should be Exhibit A for why R.C. Buford needs to be ridden out of town on a rail.

A player that a 17-65 Sacramento Kings team couldn't wait to get rid of instantly became the third-best player on a team that thought it was going to win something.

You might be able to fool yourself into thinking Sacramento wasn't counting as many ping pong balls as dollars when they made that decision, but don't try to drag the rest of us into your delusion.

SenorSpur
06-08-2009, 10:09 AM
With the depleted and talent-thin frontline the Spurs have, they are in no position to simply thumb their noses at the possibility of retaining a talented big like Gooden. As someone pointed out earlier, they courted him to hell and back. When the got him, Pop played him sparingly in the playoffs. How the fuck do you evaluate a guy if he can't get enough PT the learn the offense and show what he can do?

Everyone knows the Spurs are traditionally a fiscally-conscious group. Free agents are beating down the door to get to S.A. The margin for error is very slim. Yet, here's a guy that is a serviceable low psot option and decent rebounding big at both ends and I believe the Spurs will let him walk. It smacks again of the organizational arrogance that the Spurs FO occasionally tends to display.

Say what you will about Gooden, but he is a proven commodity in the NBA and is clearly was the 2nd best big on the roster.

Mel_13
06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
The margin for error is very slim. Yet, here's a guy that is a serviceable low psot option and decent rebounding big at both ends and I believe the Spurs will let him walk. It smacks again of the organizational arrogance that the Spurs FO occasionally tends to display.

Say what you will about Gooden, but he is a proven commodity in the NBA and is clearly was the 2nd best big on the roster.

Do you believe he is the best player the Spurs could target with all or most of the MLE?

venitian navigator
06-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I think that, before deciding about re- Signing Gooden, there are some answers we have to have about next year's choices.

1) are we gonna sign Splitter in 2010 and are we gonna stick with the 2010 plan ?
2) are we gonna trade Manu ?
3) are we gonna give Ian a fair chance to play along with Tim ?

The good points for resigning Gooden are :
Gooden is younger and more athletic than Wallace and Mc Dyess...if Tim is our staring center, given time to learn the system, he could be a good choice at a relatively good price (MLE) for the best years an athlete can give considering strenghts and experience (from 27 to 32)... let's not forget he's been a n° 4 choice in the draft (he's got talent to play at Duncan's spot for limited amount of time) and that he looked good with Manu in the limited time they played together.

lefty
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Considering the minutes he's got, he's done more than enough IMHO

Obstructed_View
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Spurs fans spend far too much time looking gift horses in the mouth. At some point you have to accept someone with talent, warts and all, especially if they are leaps and bounds above everyone else you've got on the radar, let alone on the roster.

meestahmeestah
06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Free agents are beating down the door to get to S.A.

Name a free agent with some tread left on the tires who beat down the door to get to S.A.

The ghost of Michael Finley doesn't count.