PDA

View Full Version : Sorry For the Detainment, Here's a Laptop

ElNono
06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Some Guantánamo detainees to get laptops

To better prepare them for life in asylum, the U.S. military is setting up a virtual computer lab for some Guantánamo captives now cleared for release.

BY CAROL ROSENBERG
[email protected]

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- These captives already get to order fast-food takeout from the base and have access to a phone booth for weekly calls. Now some 17 Uighur Muslims awaiting a nation to grant them asylum are about to go high-tech, with laptops and web training.

While awaiting details of President Barack Obama's order to close the prison camps by Jan. 22, commanders here have ordered 20 laptops for the captives of Camp Iguana.

''As you know, detainees are leaving this place,'' said Army Lt. Col. Miguel Mendez, who oversees detainee classes, a multilingual library and now-emerging virtual computer lab. "We're getting them computer classes to prepare for their return.''

E-MAIL LESSONS

The Uighur detainees won't be sending electronic mail to their lawyers or family members back in communist China anytime soon. Instead their lessons will be limited to DVD driven training.

A federal judge last year ordered that the men be set free after reviewing the American military's reasons for holding them in habeas corpus petitions that reached the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. by order of the Supreme Court.

But the Chinese citizens in exile have no place to go.

As devout Muslims, they fear religious persecution in their homeland, in part because of the stigma of having been held at Guantánamo for allegedly getting paramilitary training in Afghanistan before Sept. 11, 2001.

Attorney General Eric Holder said some could come to the United States for resettlement, triggering protests from members of Congress around Virginia, where other Uighurs live and have offered to settle them.

Nury Turkel, a Washington, D.C.-based Uighur rights activist, hailed the computer training development. Internet access could allow the men to listen to Uighur broadcasts of Radio Free Asia, he said.

Moreover, laptops would help the men ''be reintroduced into a modern society,'' said Turkel, who noted that after eight years in U.S. custody the computer training "also would give hope to the men that their freedom is nearing.''

Some Uighurs sent from Guantánamo to asylum in Albania several years ago now e-mail with Turkel regularly, he said.

Attorneys for the men did not respond to requests for comment.

LANGUAGE SKILLS

The computer training will offer DVD language training as well as a basic users skill-set to help in any future employment options, Mendez said. For example, detainees bound for Spain would get basic Spanish language classes.

The virtual computer lab is part of an emerging administration effort to persuade both Americans and European allies that some detainees are safe enough to resettle in their communities.

On the one hand, the Pentagon released a report last week that said 5 percent of detainees released by the Bush administration later turned to terrorism -- and that U.S. intelligence had their suspicions about another 9 percent who were freed.

On the other, a State Department diplomat is peddling detainee portfolios to Europe in a bid to find some asylum in new nations.

Rear Adm. David Thomas Jr., commander of the detention center, spent this week briefing the 2,000 sailor guards and other staff that operations would continue unchanged, with improvements until the prison camps are emptied.

'DRAMATIC' CHANGE

''Change is coming,'' he told 200 Navy guards at a town meeting at a military chapel.

"It's coming a little slow, but when it does it's going to be dramatic.''

He provided no timetable for closure. Two detainees have departed the prison since Obama took office, both for Europe, and a third is to be transferred to New York City for trial in the 1998 twin suicide bombings of the U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

LINK (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation/story/1073991.html)

Blake
06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
would you rather they go to the public library to use the internet?

ElNono
06-03-2009, 09:25 AM
would you rather they go to the public library to use the internet?

Sure. It's not like they're guilty of anything really. Why have we imprisoned them, again?

FaithInOne
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I wish they would jihad the mac vs pc commercials.

disclaimer: I'm just kidding. Terrorism is bad.

sam1617
06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I wish they would jihad the mac vs pc commercials.

disclaimer: I'm just kidding. Terrorism is bad.

Terrorism is only bad if you're not the one doing it. I'm sure terrorists think its good :downspin:

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Sure. It's not like they're guilty of anything really. Why have we imprisoned them, again?
These particular ones, if I remember right, have no place to go. They will be executed if we send them back to China, but nobody else is willing to take them in. We haven't decided to yet either, have we...

Can they stay at your house?

ElNono
06-03-2009, 07:35 PM
These particular ones, if I remember right, have no place to go. They will be executed if we send them back to China, but nobody else is willing to take them in. We haven't decided to yet either, have we...

Can they stay at your house?

I don't think the landlord would let me rent a room on my rented apartment.
You still didn't answer my question though... why we captured and imprisoned them in the first place?

mookie2001
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
who would want to live in argentina anyway?, id rather stay at gitmo

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
why we captured and imprisoned them in the first place?
That was a long time ago. I don't remember, but you can look it up...

I think they were Chinese resistance fighters, training with Al-Qaeda, but I might be wrong. They are deemed no threat to us, but they are Chinese criminals. By all rights of extradition, we should turn them over to China, like the Canadian we turned over to Egypt.

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 08:16 PM

I think they were Chinese resistance fighters, training with Al-Qaeda, but I might be wrong. They are deemed no threat to us, but they are Chinese criminals. By all rights of extradition, we should turn them over to China, like the Canadian we turned over to Egypt.
Do we have an extradition treaty with China?

I'm not going to bother looking it up, but that may be why they are still at Gitmo. Once they hit US soil, or another nation that has such a treaty with China, they would be going back, to their death!

ElNono
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
who would want to live in argentina anyway?, id rather stay at gitmo

Or New Jersey for that matter... :lol

ElNono
06-03-2009, 09:54 PM

I think they originally found them in Afghanistan, and they had nothing to do with AQ. And the 'They're Chinese criminals' claim is certainly debatable. I understand we can't turn them over to China. The thing is, we shouldn't have picked them up and imprisoned them for years to begin with.
Now we have a mess we don't know how to deal with.

ElNono
06-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Do we have an extradition treaty with China?

I'm not going to bother looking it up, but that may be why they are still at Gitmo. Once they hit US soil, or another nation that has such a treaty with China, they would be going back, to their death!

They can rightfully request asylum in the US, or any other country. That doesn't mean the US or any other country will take them. The problem is that they're in US hands now, and thus they're our problem now. They're definitely not going to be sent back to China. I don't see why they couldn't be sent back to Afghanistan where they were found.

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't see why they couldn't be sent back to Afghanistan where they were found.
That would be a problem is Afghanistan has a extradition treaty with China. Do you know?

NIMBY...

They are too hot a news item to just place in some community. Where ever we try to place them there would be outrage, and maybe violence. Know any communities that will take them?

ElNono
06-03-2009, 11:16 PM
That would be a problem is Afghanistan has a extradition treaty with China. Do you know?

Not really. I'm under the impression that Afghanistan doesn't even have a government that can even entertain such requests at this time.

NIMBY...

They are too hot a news item to just place in some community. Where ever we try to place them there would be outrage, and maybe violence. Know any communities that will take them?

I would send them to Fuerte Apache in Argentina for a week...

http://www.bafilm.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/barrio-ejercito-de-los-andes-fuerte-apache.jpg

... the problem is that they will be begging to be back in gitmo in 2 seconds flat. LOL.

I wonder if Chavez would take em...

Wild Cobra
06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Not really. I'm under the impression that Afghanistan doesn't even have a government that can even entertain such requests at this time.

Silly me, I wasn't thinking.

Nbadan
06-04-2009, 07:02 PM

First of all, that's like Beverly Hills in Yemen......

Hey, I got an idea...lets sell Afghanistan back to Russia....a fire sale....