PDA

View Full Version : Gasol May Be Surprising Defensive Obstacle For Howard In NBA Finals

duncan228
06-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Gasol may be surprising defensive obstacle for Howard in NBA Finals (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/06/03/gasol.ap/?eref=sircrc)
Chris Mannix
SI.com

The Lakers have a problem. A 6-foot-11, 265-pound problem, to be exact. His name is Dwight Howard and he is the one Magic player for whom the Lakers aren't sure they have an answer.

"We are a long team," coach Phil Jackson told reporters after a pre-Finals practice. "We have lengthy defenders to deal with [Hedo] Turkoglu and [Rashard] Lewis. But I don't know who can guard this big kid if he's as physical as he is. Howard's just a real, real powerhouse in there inside."

The reason for Jackson's pessimism is twofold. First, the Lakers would seem to have the perfect foil for Howard in Andrew Bynum. The 7-foot-, 285-pound center possesses many of the same strengths as Boston center Kendrick Perkins, who has been the most effective roadblock on Howard's path to the rim this postseason. Like Perkins, Bynum is long, physically strong and agile.

But Bynum was ineffective against Orlando in the regular season, averaging 8.5 points and only two rebounds in 22.5 minutes in two Lakers losses. In fact, Howard exploited him, averaging 21.5 points to go with 16.5 rebounds. And that was when Bynum was healthy. The four-year veteran has been slow to recover from a January knee injury, and Jackson has said Bynum is only effective in four- or five-minute stretches before he needs to come out.

Second, after watching Cleveland's Anderson Varejao awkwardly chase Lewis around the perimeter during the Eastern Conference finals, Jackson likely won't commit too many minutes to Pau Gasol at power forward, not when the rangy Lamar Odom is available to man the position. The Lakers' best frontcourt, both offensively and defensively, is with Odom and Gasol paired together.

That leaves Gasol to guard Howard. And that sound you hear echoing from Memphis to L.A. is "yikes."

"He's a unique kind of player," Gasol said of Howard. "I don't think there have been many players like him because of his physical gifts and attributes."

Gasol is not regarded as a strong defender. Western Conference big men routinely feasted on him during his final three seasons with the Grizzlies, with Amar'e Stoudemire (30.3 points and 10 rebounds, 69 percent shooting), Dirk Nowitzki (26.6, 9.7, 48.2 percent) and Tim Duncan (19.6, 12.1, 56 percent) leading the way.

But freed from the pressures of being the franchise player in Memphis, Gasol has shown some improvement on defense. After averaging 16 points against Dallas in the second round, Nuggets center Nenę was limited to 9.8 points in the conference finals. Some of that credit belongs to Gasol, who shifted to center whenever Bynum came out of the game.

Based on the numbers, center actually is Gasol's most effective position. In 48 games as a power forward this season, Gasol averaged 17.5 points and 9.2 rebounds; as a center, those numbers spiked to 20.8 points and 10.3 boards.

And in Gasol's case, offense may help his defense. In the Magic's march to the Finals, Howard hasn't had to be much of a one-on-one defender. Perkins and Philadelphia's Samuel Dalembert are limited offensively, and Cleveland's Zydrunas Ilgauskas was strictly a perimeter player in the East finals. As a result, Howard has been free to roam on the defensive end, conserving valuable energy to remain active on offense.

He won't have that option against Gasol. One of the most skilled post players in the league, Gasol will force Howard to defend him on every possession. While Gasol is a finesse player, he has a knack for drawing fouls around the rim and is a terrific offensive rebounder (3.2 per game in the postseason).

"What Cleveland didn't have, I think, is an inside presence that could put them in jeopardy and give [the Cavs] that balance," Gasol said. "They didn't have that balance of an inside and outside game. We do have that, and I think we will be a tougher matchup."

If Gasol is right, that doesn't bode well for a Magic team that hopes the center matchup is one it can dominate.

Allanon
06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
But Bynum was ineffective against Orlando in the regular season, averaging 8.5 points and only two rebounds in 22.5 minutes in two Lakers losses. In fact, Howard exploited him, averaging 21.5 points to go with 16.5 rebounds. And that was when Bynum was healthy. The four-year veteran has been slow to recover from a January knee injury, and Jackson has said Bynum is only effective in four- or five-minute stretches before he needs to come out.

I think Bynum's gonna put on the big-boy pants this series.

No excuses Bynum, come out and play like you're a top NBA Center.

KSeal
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Definitely true Pau can make Dwight work on defense unlike all the other players he has guarded this post season.

KSeal
06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
:lol

Got to love that Laker pride.

:lmao Allanon is delusional

Ghazi
06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Pau Gasol Finals MVP

Allanon
06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
:lmao Allanon is delusional

I've predicted from the start that Bynum will have a great series before it's up. He's been as far from good as humanly possible so far....so he's due.

I'm tellin' you doubters, it's gonna finally happen. :lol

duncan228
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I've predicted from the start that Bynum will have a great series before it's up. He's been as far from good as humanly possible so far....so he's due.

Bynum hopes to be the next Kendrick Perkins (for now) (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/06/02/bynum-hopes-to-be-the-next-kendrick-perkins-for-now/18099/)
Kevin Ding
OC Register

EL SEGUNDO — Andrew Bynum’s evaluation of his postseason to date: “I’ve played well some games. Most games not.”

So here is the opportunity not only to salvage his individual situation but to help the Lakers win the title in the matchup with Dwight Howard, another young center. Bynum isn’t going to be 100 percent as he still recovers from his right knee injury, but he is excited that many of the best ways to contain Howard are things Bynum likes to do.

For example, Bynum likes to stay attached and bang with other big guys instead of being pulled away from the basket, and putting and keeping a body on Howard is a key issue. Bynum has been watching footage of how Boston’s Kendrick Perkins did it in the second round to limit Howard to 16.4 points per game.

Bynum called Howard “a much tougher cover” than Yao Ming, another top-flight center — and one against whom Bynum didn’t do much in the second round. Where Howard really differs from Yao is in running the floor: Howard is outstanding, and Bynum isn’t. Bynum has been fully briefed on how it could ruin the Lakers’ whole transition defense if he doesn’t get back, because not only can Howard prey on whoever does pick him up — usually a guard who is further back — then the guard’s usual man can break the Lakers’ backs with transition 3-point shots while uncovered.

Regarding past foul trouble against Howard, Bynum said his lesson there is “can’t use your arms, can’t reach in.” But Bynum hopes he can help get Howard in foul trouble, too, as happened in one of the teams’ regular-season meetings.

“We definitely do some of the same things: standing up and looking at the refs and asking, ‘Where’s the foul?’ ” Bynum said with a little grin.

21_Blessings
06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Not really this season (early foul trouble) but in the past Bynum has defended Howard pretty well at times. We saw what Perkins did to Dwight in the 2nd round and Bynum is just as capable if the refs let him play.

Pau will bug Howard with his length but that matchup isn't ideal for the Lakers. Gasol can't into foul trouble.

JoeTait75
06-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Dewey Howard can't guard Pau.

baseline bum
06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
I think Bynum's gonna put on the big-boy pants this series.

No excuses Bynum, come out and play like you're a top NBA Center.

Perkins is the perfect type of player Bynum should emulate this series. Extremely physical, dirty as hell, good on the glass, and lots of hard fouls. Perkins is one of those guys like Bowen, Rick Fox, Laimbeer, etc. who everyone thinks is chickenshit except his own team's fans who recognize he is an integral part to their success. Perkins is a wildly underrated player IMO.

adidas11
06-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Perkins is the perfect type of player Bynum should emulate this series. Extremely physical, dirty as hell, good on the glass, and lots of hard fouls. Perkins is one of those guys like Bowen, Rick Fox, Laimbeer, etc. who everyone thinks is chickenshit except his own team's fans who recognize he is an integral part to their success. Perkins is a wildly underrated player IMO.

Agreed. Perkins was the primary reason why the Lakers lost to Boston last year in the finals, in my opinion.

Indazone
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Gasol a Defensive Obstacle for Howard? :lmao

DeadlyDynasty
06-03-2009, 07:13 PM

I'd love to agree, but I just don't see it happening. Even if he puts up lousy numbers I would love to see him just get angry. He's too passive and nonchalant out on the court.

DeadlyDynasty
06-03-2009, 07:14 PM

yeah i don't see that happening either

poop
06-03-2009, 07:19 PM
everyone's worrying about Howard but one thing to consider is the strong possibility that Howard himself will be in foul trouble early and often

Indazone
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Lakers are going to have to front him just like they did Yao.

Bob Lanier
06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
If he can do as good a job against Howard as he did against Duncan and Garnett last season, the Lakers will sweep the Magic.

Ghazi
06-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I thought the THREAD was referencing Pau's OFFENSE being a problem for Dwight's DEFENSE?

I AGREE I think Pau's mid range game can bother DWIGHT.

Dwight cannot be guarded by PAU though let's get REAL

MambaJuice2408
06-04-2009, 02:26 AM
Agreed. Perkins was the primary reason why the Lakers lost to Boston last year in the finals, in my opinion.

Agreed. He punked us at that position in the finals. It's also hard to get around him cuz of his girth...That combined with the fact I thought Boston was allowed to play ALOT more physical because of their reputation

MambaJuice2408
06-04-2009, 02:31 AM
everyone's worrying about Howard but one thing to consider is the strong possibility that Howard himself will be in foul trouble early and often

And the Lakers should exploit it posting up the Center position early and often to put pressure on Howard to pick up fouls. That would put Orlando in jeopardy and double team to protect Howard from fouls and leave the perimeter open for 3's.

CANT WAIT FOR THE GAME

KSeal
06-04-2009, 02:33 AM
I'd love to agree, but I just don't see it happening. Even if he puts up lousy numbers I would love to see him just get angry. He's too passive and nonchalant out on the court.

I'm with you, he needs to get pissed and show some emotion out there, like you said he's always so damn nonchalant it gets frustrated. Maybe he'll be a little more amped up due to being in the finals and going against the best young center in the league. Probably not but it's a hope.

Amaso
06-04-2009, 04:14 AM
This is one of the funniest thread titles/articles I've seen in weeks. But it may not be entirely wrong. Dwight Howard doesn't have a post up game, and you want to almost force him into taking 7 foot hooks in the paint. Pau has the foot speed to prevent Howard from dunking the ball every possession when Howard faces up 11-13 feet away from the basket. Bynum is going to have to guard Dwight alot though.