PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3:ODST

manufan10
06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
After months of secrecy and hinting by Bungie, I've finally gotten my hands on Halo 3: ODST. The newly announced Firefight is what Microsoft and Bungie chose to put in the public's hands first and it's easy to see why -- this new mode is simple, straightforward and a whole lot of fun. As a fan of Halo: Combat Evolved, it was doubly fun for me. ODST is most definitely a return to the roots of the franchise.

Watch the E3 trailer for Halo 3 ODST

That last sentence might have you excited -- or it might have you fretting -- so I'd best explain it right off the bat. In Halo 3: ODST, you don't play as the Master Chief. Instead you fill the shoes of an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (ODST). These elite soldiers don't have all of the advantages that a Spartan like Master Chief enjoys. That means that their overshield, though regenerative, isn't as strong. They have health bars that slowly whittle away just like the first Halo game. They take damage if they fall too far. They can't jump as high. You can't dual wield weapons. They even have a powerful pistol with a zoomed scope and suppressed muzzle. Now do you get the references to the first Halo?

There are a few other major differences in the way ODST plays. These troopers don't have access to the same set of equipment that Halo 3 introduced. The Brutes you run into might start dropping shields or flares, but if you hit the X Button you'll find it activates an alternate vision mode. This secondary setting on the visor is great for low light levels and even outlines everything with a handy tracer. It's particularly useful for recognizing enemies in the dark that you might want to sneak up on and use the other new weapon -- a slightly suppressed SMG.

If you've played Horde mode in Gears of War 2 or Zombie mode in Call of Duty: World at War, then you have a general idea of how Firefight works. The mode can be played with four players cooperatively, each taking on one of the ODST personas. Preorder the game through select retailers and a fifth ODST soldier, Sgt. Johnson, will be added to the list of selectable characters. Each is only different in appearance and voice. You won't get a stat boost by choosing one over the other.

Security Zone is a medium sized, open map.

Once the game starts, it's all about survival. There are only a set number of lives that the entire team shares. And since you need health packs to regenerate your health, you'll want to make sure you use them wisely as a team. The scoring works largely the same as it does in the Halo 3 metagame scoring. Headshots are worth more. Kill several enemies quickly and you'll rack up big combos. Kill a teammate and you'll lose points. Each player's individual score is kept as well as a cumulative team score and along the way you'll also earn medals and achievements.

The game is laid out into rounds. The enemies start out pretty easy before building up to a squad of shielded Brutes which is where some sweet music kicks in to let you know this is a mini-climax. Beat those guys and you'll move on to the next round. Each time you move up a round, new mixes of skulls are added making the game just a little more difficult. Make it far enough and you'll find almost all of the skulls activated, making the fight just about impossible for all but the pros.

Two maps were open for play: Security Zone and Crater (Night). Security Zone takes place near the ONI complex and is a large, well lit area. A central valley funnels most of the action into one column while sniper rifles and turrets conveniently sit atop overlooks. Midway through each round of enemies you'll find a Wraith or two to tackle. Sadly, you can't jack these in this level though I'm told ODST do have the ability to jack vehicles. It was just disabled for that map for balancing purposes.

Security Zone is a pretty big map so it's easy to get separated from your partners. I would advise against this, particularly at the end when the last wave of Brutes is sent out and the music kicks in. Seeing five Brutes using jump packs to leap towards you, flying dozens of feet in the air carrying Brute Hammers, while you sit on the ground with your wimpy ODST shield is quite intimidating even on the easier difficulty settings.

Crater is a much smaller map with a layout that fits the name. The outer edges are all raise with ramps leading down to a central, lower courtyard. The Covenant drops in from all sides, sometimes surprising you from the rear which makes it highly necessary to keep moving so as not to get surprised. If you can make it through the first round of enemies and snag a Brute Hammer you'll find quite the effective weapon in these close quarters.

The Crater map had a telling set of brackets after its title indicating that it was a night map. Bungie wouldn't confirm that you could also play it in a day setting, but the smile sent my way during that lack of info spoke volumes. I'd bet my only dime the certain Firefight maps will be playable in both lit and dark modes.

There will obviously be other maps to use in Firefight once ODST ships, though Bungie isn't putting an exact number how many that will be just yet. Some, I'm told, will even feature vehicles to use in your Covenant kill-fest. The Forge mode won't work with Firefight, so you won't be able to design your own custom co-op arenas. Creative Director Joe Staten lamented, "Wouldn't it be nice if we could put everything in the game?" Yes, it would.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/ga/buzz/feature/vg20/halo-3-odst-20090602012327602-000.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/ga/buzz/feature/vg20/halo-3-odst-20090602012330196-000.jpg

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/halo-3-odst-hands-on/1320624

jman3000
06-03-2009, 02:10 PM
the pistol from combat evolved was god.

Death In June
06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I'll most likely give it a chance, but the Halo 3 engine was garbage. I'm hoping Halo: Reach is something different, and not different in the way that Halo Wars was. I'd even be happy with a return to the way Halo 2 felt and played, being that it was the high water mark of the franchise.

koriwhat
06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
ive never liked halo... shitty graphics, shitty fps.

Slydragon
06-03-2009, 11:18 PM
So is this a game you buy threw a store or rent from gamefly or is this a download that you will need Halo 3 to play like the last Grand Theft Auto download.

jman3000
06-03-2009, 11:29 PM
it's its own game.

Cry Havoc
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
ive never liked halo... shitty graphics, shitty fps.

+1

I tried playing it. It's decent in it's own right, until you compare it to contemporaries. Halo will always be Counterstrike's bitch.

z0sa
06-04-2009, 01:15 PM
+1

I tried playing it. It's decent in it's own right, until you compare it to contemporaries. Halo will always be Counterstrike's bitch.

Watching halo wh0res back in the day trying to play a real game like CS was hilarious. I could pull even with these fuckers who played Halo all day, give em a mouse and keyboard and any gun they want and they couldn't aim for shit :lol damn cs ruled back then. I still relive those days with S&D in CoD.

ManuTP9
06-04-2009, 02:26 PM
already reserved Halo 3:ODST, cant wait to play as an ODST

koriwhat
06-04-2009, 03:23 PM
i used to love cs and sof.

Creepn
06-04-2009, 03:23 PM
the pistol from combat evolved was god.

You got that right. I could play a whole match with just the pistol. When I first used the pistol in Halo 3, I honestly thought my controller was broken. It's horrible. :(

Death In June
06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Watching halo wh0res back in the day trying to play a real game like CS was hilarious. I could pull even with these fuckers who played Halo all day, give em a mouse and keyboard and any gun they want and they couldn't aim for shit :lol damn cs ruled back then. I still relive those days with S&D in CoD.PC gaming is for people with no friends.