PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Nets final on ESPN classic

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Get yourself some Stephen Jackson, and Timmy in his prime.

smrattler
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Does Timewarner not have this channel????

smrattler
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Ok, found it. No HD though. :-(

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2009, 05:12 PM
HD's like having a water softener.

You never really feel you need it, until you get it, then you never want to drink regular tap water again.

TheSpursFNRule
06-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Best Spurs team EASILY. Agreed?

Extra Stout
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM
No. 1999 was statistically the best. And until Tim started spraining ankles left and right, the 2005 team was one of the best ever. Their point differential at the All-Star break was like +11 or some such absurd number.

TheSpursFNRule
06-03-2009, 05:31 PM
No. 1999 was statistically the best. And until Tim started spraining ankles left and right, the 2005 team was one of the best ever. Their point differential at the All-Star break was like +11 or some such absurd number.

I agree with you on 2005 damn that was a sick team as well. I think I just really love the way Jax worked with the Spurs. It's still so sad he left us.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Jax is the main reason I'm watching this.

Damn he looked so good in a spurs uni. *sigh*

baseline bum
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
The 2005 Spurs were on a 64 or 65 win pace before Tim stepped on Rasheed's ankle that game in March. They were definitely the most talented and deep of the Spurs teams, but it's hard to take them (even healthy) over the 99 Spurs who just completely defied anyone to score in fourth quarters.

baseline bum
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
HD's like having a water softener.

You never really feel you need it, until you get it, then you never want to drink regular tap water again.

:lol Agree on the water part, but HDs no biggie to me.

Extra Stout
06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
The 2005 Spurs were on a 64 or 65 win pace before Tim stepped on Rasheed's ankle that game in March. They were definitely the most talented and deep of the Spurs teams, but it's hard to take them (even healthy) over the 99 Spurs who just completely defied anyone to score in fourth quarters.
The way that 99 team defended was just sick. With six minutes to go the other team simply stopped scoring, game after game.

Pablo Escobar
06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
watching this gave me chills dam duncan was a beast

Obstructed_View
06-03-2009, 07:10 PM
2003 was probably the most talented, but they didn't play to their potential all the time. '99 and '05 were better, and the '07 team was great before the long layoff after the WCF.

David and Timmy were SO good in the '03 game 6. The team needed every bit of Timmy's monster game in order to be within striking distance at the end.

Borosai
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
The Spurs have done pretty well these past few years, but imagine if Jackson had stayed. Damn.

xtremesteven33
06-03-2009, 08:18 PM
The Spurs have done pretty well these past few years, but imagine if Jackson had stayed. Damn.

i added Jackson to the Spurs in NBA2K9, just to see if a difference would be made....DAMN, he totally puts this team over in the game at least :depressed

EricB
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I concur with Bruce Bowen.

2005 team was the best.

duncan228
06-03-2009, 09:15 PM
'05 is my favorite Championship, the team was just gritty. Duncan was hurt, they played some great defense, and they got it done. A seven game series for the Title is hard to beat.

'03 was amazing, Duncan was out of his mind. That whole season was fun.

'99 will always hold a soft spot, the first stays special.

'07 is the least exciting for me, it was almost too easy.

Damn. Spurs fans are a lucky bunch, we get to put Championships in order. :)

Extra Stout
06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
But I would have to say the 2005 team was the best championship team, and the 2006 team was the best Spurs team.

I know, I know. The 2006 team didn't win the title, but thats because they were screwed over by the refs in that Mavs series. The only teams left would have been the Suns, who we dominate and the Heat, who we would have dominated.
That team had the best record of the entire run, but I remember it primarily as the team that always lost the second half of back-to-backs, and introduced "small ball."

duncan228
06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah, but that also makes us spoiled. Have you seen this place after a loss? We could have had a 9 game winning streak going and we lose to the Bobcats and this place starts going off. "Trade Parker!" "Fire Pop!"

SpursTalk wouldn't be the same without meltdowns after any loss. :lol

We are spoiled. It's hard not to be after such an incredible run. The Spurs have been contenders pretty much every year of Duncan's career. I try to enjoy every second of it, try to not take it for granted. All too soon Duncan will retire. Got to enjoy and appreciate what we've had. :)

smrattler
06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
One thing about Manu in 2003 (watching this game), yeah, he was young bu he still played as smart as you see him now.

Biggest difference? Besides having all of his hair, he moved around like a pinball. He was crazy quick. And he knew that with BOTH TD and DROB he could use his athleticism to gamble and play loose.

modtxspur
06-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Off subject but was watching sportscenter, and they showed all off Robert Horry's big shots except the one where he was wearing silver and black...fucking hate espn

sa_kid20
06-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Off subject but was watching sportscenter, and they showed all off Robert Horry's big shots except the one where he was wearing silver and black...fucking hate espn

Yeah i noticed that too and was like WTF!? I still think his shot in Game 5 of the Finals was the biggest one he ever made even though it wasn't right at the buzzer.

Sean Cagney
06-03-2009, 10:40 PM

YES from top to bottom I agree it's their best talent wise! They were so deep, could play any type of game yo threw at them and beat you at it. These Spurs could beat you at your own game! They could run with anyone or D up with anyone.

Manu was not as great then sure, Parker has grown alot then sure, but their role players that year were just so damn good around Timmay.

D Rob at Center even then >>>>>>>>> What we have had since, no question.

Sean Cagney
06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
But I would have to say the 2005 team was the best championship team, and the 2006 team was the best Spurs team.

I know, I know. The 2006 team didn't win the title, but thats because they were screwed over by the refs in that Mavs series. The only teams left would have been the Suns, who we dominate and the Heat, who we would have dominated.

The 06 team was not their best team, hell the backup PG was terrible in those playoffs. The 2005 team at their best beats those Mavs that next year, in 6. 2006 team was not their best, they had some holes I remember and that became apparent in the Mavs series.

The refs were bad and there was some bad calls! That doesn't get you down 20 at home in a game 7 though, they were dead in the water the early part of that game and their D in that series was not as good as the 05 team by any means.

If we won the Dallas series yes we win a back to back and eventually three peat! I hate thinking of that, it was that close.

Sean Cagney
06-03-2009, 10:48 PM
'05 is my favorite Championship, the team was just gritty. Duncan was hurt, they played some great defense, and they got it done. A seven game series for the Title is hard to beat.

'03 was amazing, Duncan was out of his mind. That whole season was fun.

'99 will always hold a soft spot, the first stays special.

'07 is the least exciting for me, it was almost too easy.

Damn. Spurs fans are a lucky bunch, we get to put Championships in order. :)

Damn that 03 year was fun! The playoff run was nuts, a whole bunch of threes to win games and storylines (Marburys three and beating LA to Kerrs heroics). That team would come back ten down late in no time with the three ball, flat out deadly!

That year holds a spot in my heart because it was just so fun, and D Rob went out on top because of it.

Ghazi
06-03-2009, 11:03 PM
shoulda been Mavs.

Udokafan05
06-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Speedy Claxton played very well in game 6.

Ditty
06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
shoulda been Mavs.

mavs would of chocked like game 6 and the 2006 FINALS :lol

Sean Cagney
06-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Nick Van Exel actually played well in a couple games with the Mavs. And I remember this one game he was really doing well and a ref T'd him up twice for next to nothing and he was ejected. That was bull shit. I do believe however that the '06 team was just plain beastly. I know we were down 20 in game 7, but we came back, and had that foul not happened with manu or had the refs called that foul on Tim at the end of regulation (that was a million times worse than Manu's attempted block) then the Spurs would have won the NBA championship.

Yes Tim was fouled, Bron or someone else gets that call! Talk about they are not going to call that late in a game, well Bron trips and falls with .5 on the clock and gets the call and OT! Why not for Tim? He stays getting disrespected by the stupid Refs and he is a SUPERSTAR.
shoulda been Mavs.

LOL yeah right, they were not better than the Spurs that year. The only reason they beat the Kings (Who usually beat up on them) is because Webber was out, so they won in 7 DAMN GAMES! They barely beat a Webberless Kings since you want to use the injury as an exuse.

Whats funny is the Spurs should have been up basically 3-0 when Dirk went down, they blew that damn big lead in game one. They ran that series, they always had the lead basically and Dallas had no frontline at all to stop Tim or D Rob down low! They were not the better team, period.

The Spurs also blew a damn big lead in game 5 which made me living, they were basically in control though the whole time and just blew a game or two. Dallas could not see the Spurs that year, period.

draft87
06-04-2009, 01:17 AM
the 2005 team was great to watch, but the finals, even though it ended well, were really boring the first four games. yeah it was great to blow it up the first two games, but it wasn't competitive basketball, and it really sucked being on the flipside for games 3 and 4. game 5 was amazing! but damn those first four were lame.

2007 was great because we just so not included in the title talk. and there was such a fuss about denver game 1. watching it all come together the next four games, plus BIG SHOT ROB was just as exciting as watching dallas get ripped apart by golden state. whether you hate dallas or not, that series was INSANE. the stakes were high. the plays were amazing, and it was the greatest upset ever!
and round 2 with phoenix was SO TIGHT.

1999 was amazing cause we finally got there. so what it was a short season. those old veterans were busting their butts playing all those games per week. it was so promising. avery making stoudemire eat his foot, sean making career redemption, and timmy's coming out party. that was so great to finally say, "we're the champions"

2003 team has a special place in spurs history. how sweet was it to finally drop the lakers again? bowen outscored kobe! i think it was the most competition we faced in the playoffs. the suns were scary, the lakers were the lakers, and the mavs were tricky. there was a sense of urgency, almost to the point of magic watching them playing knowing that the day the 2003 playoff run was over was the day david robinson's career was over. and they made him a champion til the end. the aging sportsman, the role model gets it ON FATHER'S DAY! and what a sense of closure willis, kerr, and ferry got from finally winning a title!
i really thought the glory of 1999 was over after the 2002 playoffs. and even when we won, i thought it was gone with robinson(not that he was the main impact for winning) but i never thought we'd replace him and just fade away. ....we never did replace him, and i was certain we were done after the 2004 ending. so i'm really grateful for the next two titles. i feel like the big 3 learned a lot from the 2003 championship experience and without that i'm not sure we'd have 2005 and 2007.

anyway, here's a tribute to the 2006 team that i lament every time i see a basketball:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200604220SAS.html

if only, we could have done THAT the rest of the series and especially in round 2........look at the minutes played vs the production EVERYONE put up!

Obstructed_View
06-04-2009, 06:36 AM
I do believe however that the '06 team was just plain beastly. I know we were down 20 in game 7, but we came back, and had Popovich not phased Rasho and Nazr completely out of the rotation then the Spurs would have won the NBA championship.

Fixed.

You're certainly right: Spurs fans are spoiled. So much so that we can't seem to lay blame where it belongs, and we just expect our team to get a title just for showing up.

Yuixafun
06-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah i noticed that too and was like WTF!? I still think his shot in Game 5 of the Finals was the biggest one he ever made even though it wasn't right at the buzzer.

Rob's dunk where it looks like he almost dislocated his shoulder!

He gives the shot fake, drives the lane, hangs in the air 1 second longer than expected, stretches out his arm jams it left handed whilst making Hamilton taste some testicles.

He has a sick one too on Brian Cardinal, all helicopter style.

2005 Manu was magnificent.

urunobili
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
shoulda been Mavs.

Butt hurt much? :lol

crc21209
06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I damn near cried when SJax left the Spurs for a damn 1 yr/1 million dollar contract in Atlanta. Idiot. I even went so far as to order a SJax customized jersey from NBA.com after they won the title...my shipment was delayed, delayed, delayed to the point that he ended up going to ATL and then I canceled the order. :lol. But outside of TD and Big Dave, Jax was easily one of my favorite Spurs that year. It sucks, I wish we could still have that core of TP, TD, Manu, Bowen, and Jax today. But hey...things happen for a reason. And we still won 2 ships after that so yea..

ducks
06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
speedy claxton played very well in game 6.

overrated

draft87
06-05-2009, 01:15 AM
overrated

in game 6 or career?

he was HUGE in game 6. parker couldn't get it done. claxton came in averaging 10.4 min and 4.8 points. he played 23 min, 5/8fg, 3/4ft, 1rb, 4ast, 2tov, 1blk - 13 pts.

parker played 24 min, 2/6fg, 0ft, 2ast, 3tov, - 4 points

we won by 11. claxton averaged about 5. the game would have been a lot tighter and we don't make the tremendous 4th quarter comeback without him.

if mason put those number up vs dallas, we might have won game 4 and/or 5. mason's production was next to nothing rb, ast, and points were 13,12,7,0,1.

does anybody remember the '07 series with utah, it was game 4 or 5 when jacque vaughn put up a bunch of assists and points? i'm pretty sure it was game 5. there was like 2 or 3 plays in a row where pop had vaughn in the low post catching and passing across the lane to a baseline cutter(oberto-i always get really pumped when he makes a play), or something like that..... i vaguely remember van gundy getting a boner over the strategy. it was exciting and it kinda reminded me of claxton in game 6. sometimes i see jv from a distance and think it's claxton. 'little' bald dude at the point......

Sean Cagney
06-05-2009, 01:31 AM
the 2005 team was great to watch, but the finals, even though it ended well, were really boring the first four games. yeah it was great to blow it up the first two games, but it wasn't competitive basketball, and it really sucked being on the flipside for games 3 and 4. game 5 was amazing! but damn those first four were lame.

2007 was great because we just so not included in the title talk. and there was such a fuss about denver game 1. watching it all come together the next four games, plus BIG SHOT ROB was just as exciting as watching dallas get ripped apart by golden state. whether you hate dallas or not, that series was INSANE. the stakes were high. the plays were amazing, and it was the greatest upset ever!

1999 was amazing cause we finally got there. so what it was a short season. those old veterans were busting their butts playing all those games per week. it was so promising. avery making stoudemire eat his foot, sean making career redemption, and timmy's coming out party. that was so great to finally say, "we're the champions"

2003 team has a special place in spurs history. how sweet was it to finally drop the lakers again? bowen outscored kobe! i think it was the most competition we faced in the playoffs. the suns were scary, the lakers were the lakers, and the mavs were tricky. there was a sense of urgency, almost to the point of magic watching them playing knowing that the day the 2003 playoff run was over was the day david robinson's career was over. and they made him a champion til the end. the aging sportsman, the role model gets it ON FATHER'S DAY! and what a sense of closure willis, kerr, and ferry got from finally winning a title!
i really thought the glory of 1999 was over after the 2002 playoffs. and even when we won, i thought it was gone with robinson(not that he was the main impact for winning) but i never thought we'd replace him and just fade away. ....we never did replace him, and i was certain we were done after the 2004 ending. so i'm really grateful for the next two titles. i feel like the big 3 learned a lot from the 2003 championship experience and without that i'm not sure we'd have 2005 and 2007.

anyway, here's a tribute to the 2006 team that i lament every time i see a basketball:

if only, we could have done THAT the rest of the series and especially in round 2........look at the minutes played vs the production EVERYONE put up!

Kerr won a few titles before the one with us, you mean Steve Smith? That had to sweet to him, over LA the team that outted them in 00 nonetheless! They beat Portland again a year later or so, so him being on the team that deaded that title run had to be sweet to him!

Sean Cagney
06-05-2009, 01:37 AM

Yeah we absolutely killed them in that game one, after that I thought we were the best team in the L! Game two we got 128 pts and even though that was in OT we still ate them ALIVE! That series was just nuts, from the one point loss till the end. Sac scared the hell outta me after game 4, but after that the Spurs righted it and won out.

Dallas that year was almost equal to us or the same, I feared them but thought we would win that one in 6! Turns out things changed and we lost in 7, but yes that was a great team of ours and they were our match spite the refs and beat us in 7! No way the Spurs should go down 20 in a game 7 at home, yeah I know they came back and almsot won it (Maybe should have) but seriously they had no excuse to go down 20 at home in a must win game 7.

If the Spurs had done their job that series is over in 6 like the Heat did to them, but some bad calls (No excuse) and that big lead for them in game 7 proved too much for us.

draft87
06-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Kerr won a few titles before the one with us, you mean Steve Smith? That had to sweet to him, over LA the team that outted them in 00 nonetheless! They beat Portland again a year later or so, so him being on the team that deaded that title run had to be sweet to him!

seancagney, my apologies. yah i totally meant steve smith. damn, sorry smitty!

couple things
1) i'm still amazed that from '94-'03 either horry or kerr were in the finals and won the title!

2) the '03 team is special cause it really was the end for a bunch of great people to be together. almost like the '98 bulls. the sum of all the parts was amazing. but it was time to move on.
look at the '03 team:

on top of the already mentioned, david robinson retirement, the league best record(tie), coach of the year, mvp-

mike brown-cleveland head coach
kerr-phoenix gm(tnt commentator)
ferry-cleveland gm
smith-nbatv analyst
sam presti-oklahoma gm
pj-well......
who am i missing?

p.s. i liked kerr better as commentator more than gm("idiot") of the dysfunctional opposing team in round 1 of the playoffs. he put a big smile on my face during the golden state/dallas series in '07 when he said something like, "i have fond memories of stephen jackson hitting some big shots for the spurs in '03"