PDA

View Full Version : To Sum It up I am a dumbass

sook
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I got accepted into UT at austin and A&M wayy back in october. But for some

reason i chose A&M and i changed my mind on may 5th but that same day I got

a letter from UT saying they withdrew their admission because i never replied.

Would it look bad if I transferred my 2nd year? I'm majoring in Bio btw.

MiamiHeat
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I got accepted into UT at austin and A&M wayy back in october. But for some

reason i chose A&M and i changed my mind on may 5th but that same day I got

a letter from UT saying they withdrew their admission because i never replied.

Would it look bad if I transferred my 2nd year? I'm majoring in Bio btw.

Talk to UT tomorrow morning and explain the whole thing.

They might fix it for you.

If they don't, then transfer in your 2nd year. No big deal.

sook
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
The thing is I have rooming and everything set...I can't back out of A&M now..

I just thought it may look bad if you transfer colleges.

baseline bum
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Why would it look bad to transfer? Maybe if you left a good college for a bad one, but UT and A&M are both good universities.

Mugshot
06-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Why would it look bad to transfer? Maybe if you left a good college for a bad one, but UT and A&M are both good universities.

+1

Don't sweat it, this type of stuff happens all the time.

Blake
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
The thing is I have rooming and everything set...I can't back out of A&M now..

I just thought it may look bad if you transfer colleges.

why can't you back out? did you already put down non-refundable desposits?

who exactly would it look bad to if you transferred schools?

my advice: go to a community college for a year, then transfer to Tech....or UT....whatever.

ashbeeigh
06-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Transferring is not a big deal. Some people get bent out of shape over it, but most of my friends have been to at least three different schools and have taken 5 years at least to graduate. At least if you stay with in public schools your credits will transfer more easily then if you transfered from a private school to a public school or vice versa.

But also, don't go through your whole freshman year thinking "Oh, I'm just going to transfer to UT." You'll miss a who hell of a great experience.

sook
06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
why can't you back out? did you already put down non-refundable desposits?

who exactly would it look bad to if you transferred schools?

my advice: go to a community college for a year, then transfer to Tech....or UT....whatever.

This is probably one of the best posts you've ever made...thanks for the advice and yea its too late to change b.c i signed up for my new student conference and everything.

Someone told me it looked bad if you transferred..but apparently that person is full of shit.

sook
06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Transferring is not a big deal. Some people get bent out of shape over it, but most of my friends have been to at least three different schools and have taken 5 years at least to graduate. At least if you stay with in public schools your credits will transfer more easily then if you transfered from a private school to a public school or vice versa.

But also, don't go through your whole freshman year thinking "Oh, I'm just going to transfer to UT." You'll miss a who hell of a great experience.

I wanted to goto A&M before I actually went to college station. The place is as dull as it gets, and thanks for the advice.

Blake
06-03-2009, 09:57 PM
This is probably one of the best posts you've ever made...

it's definitely the best post Ive made to you

thanks for the advice and yea its too late to change b.c i signed up for my new student conference and everything.

how much money are you out if you don't go?

honestly, take the hit, go to a CC for a year, and save some cash.....you'll need it in Austin if you stay 3-4 years.

Someone told me it looked bad if you transferred..but apparently that person is full of shit.

that person is full of shit.

mavs>spurs2
06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm majoring in Bio btw.

LOLOLOL

/wrists

Rogue
06-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Schools/Colleges are almost in the same shape, so I don't think it's a big deal whether to change it or not.

ploto
06-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Not to rain on your parade but do not assume that just because you got in the first time that you can transfer whenever you want, especially if you got acceptance to UT due to being in the top 10% or whatever the % is now.

ATRAIN
06-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Wear a burnt orange shirt to class everyday and tell me what kind of reactions you get.

Sec24Row7
06-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Set it up where you can transfer... but I doubt you will want to... people that head to a&m usually end up loving it...

From the outside looking in as a business professional all things being equal academically... I would much rather have a degree from A&M than UT because of the networking later.

Aggies are very loyal when it comes to hiring Aggies... even if you have less experience.

UT alums don't have the same loyalty.

u2sarajevo
06-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I wanted to goto A&M before I actually went to college station. The place is as dull as it gets, and thanks for the advice.but.... but.... they have the Dixie Chicken! What in the world does Austin have?

:downspin:

u2sarajevo
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Set it up where you can transfer... but I doubt you will want to... people that head to a&m usually end up loving it...

From the outside looking in as a business professional all things being equal academically... I would much rather have a degree from A&M than UT because of the networking later.

Aggies are very loyal when it comes to hiring Aggies... even if you have less experience.

UT alums don't have the same loyalty.That's true. Longhorns are required to actually know what they are doing. Aggies just hire their friends and cross their fingers.

ashbeeigh
06-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I wanted to goto A&M before I actually went to college station. The place is as dull as it gets, and thanks for the advice.

I've heard it's dull, but then again..college is what you make it. A&M has amazing programs. I'd stick it out for a year and see how it goes.

One of my best friends in whole world transferred to A&M from a&m corpus. She hated it because it was dull, like you said. But, she lived off campus and didn't do crap. She majored in Clinical lab science or something like that and ended up moving back to SA and graduating from UTHSC and making major bucks working at Santa Rosa.

Her plan was always to go to A&M and be a big shot there. So, planning things out the way you want them at 18 aren't always the way they're going to be when you're 22-23.

Takes Blake's advice, go to ACCD or something for a year and live at home, save some money, go that route..but I think you're missing a major experience if you were accepted to A&M AND UT and don't go to either.

Sec24Row7
06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
That's true. Longhorns are required to actually know what they are doing. Aggies just hire their friends and cross their fingers.

Funny how a football rivalry has turned into a rivalry about everything... Austin is fun as hell... but for a school... I'd have to say A&M.

CubanMustGo
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Talk to UT tomorrow morning and explain the whole thing.

They might fix it for you.

If they don't, then transfer in your 2nd year. No big deal.

There's such a demand to get in to UT that this is unlikely. If he called a month ago when he got the letter, maybe. There's no harm in calling but I wouldn't expect there to be space this late. After all, they just got the usually-useless Texas Leg to change the rules so they'd have some flexibility to accept ppl who are outside the top 10% of their class.

I agree with a lot of folks here, if you don't want to go to TAMU then don't. This is a business like any other, there will be some kid at the top of the wait list happy to take your place in College Station and nobody in the future will give a flip if you transferred to UT or anyone else after a year of CC. Just make sure that you ace all your classes wherever you go your first year and the classes you take meet UT's minimum transfer requirements. You have to complete 30 such hours to transfer. See the UT Transfer (http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/transfer/admission/index.html) website for details.

Dr. Gonzo
06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

I lived there for a year back in '99 and I agree. The drugs are hard to come by and a lot more expensive than the South Texas prices. I hung out in a couple of the trailer parks there. Amazingly enough, there were less racist pricks in the trailer parks than there were in other parts of that hick town.

u2sarajevo
06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Funny how a football rivalry has turned into a rivalry about everything... Austin is fun as hell... but for a school... I'd have to say A&M.I was just ribbing you. I could care less. I think he should go to whatever school fits his study interests best.

You know... if he's learning to plant a seed, the writings on the wall. ;)

robino2001
06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Not to rain on your parade but do not assume that just because you got in the first time that you can transfer whenever you want, especially if you got acceptance to UT due to being in the top 10% or whatever the % is now.

I just felt this needed special emphasis... if you want to transfer back to UT, you better have a 4.0... no joke at all. It's VERY tough to transfer back into the college of science (along with engineering and business) there whether you've been accepted before or not. Anything less than a 3.7-3.8 won't get you back in. The bio programs at UT and A&M are equally respected so that shouldn't sway anything... outside of CS being a shithole.

Cry Havoc
06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Just a heads-up sook, kick ASS your freshman year at A&M. Then you should be able to transfer to a number of schools. If your grades are poor you might not be able to get into UT-A.

Best of luck in college!

ploto
06-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I just felt this needed special emphasis... if you want to transfer back to UT, you better have a 4.0... no joke at all. It's VERY tough to transfer back into the college of science (along with engineering and business) there whether you've been accepted before or not. Anything less than a 3.7-3.8 won't get you back in. The bio programs at UT and A&M are equally respected so that shouldn't sway anything... outside of CS being a shithole.

Thanks for noticing my post. I know someone who got accepted to UT but decided he could save some money by living at home and going to UTSA for 2 years, just assuming he could then transfer. His grades are pretty good, but he just got a big "No" from them.

scientology
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
I have noticed lately a lot of topics about schools and careers in the club are you guys that naive or you just want others to know your accomplishments?

maybe we need a self glossing forum where many of you can toot your educational horns all day!

Captain Koons
06-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Will the forum be right next to posters who have cash and own horses?

Tpark and Cosmic Cowboy can be moderators. :lmao

Richer
06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Will the forum be right next to posters who have cash and own horses?

Tpark and Cosmic Cowboy can be moderators. :lmaoI feel I am equally as qualified. I'm sure I could fit this in while my help washes my Reventón.

Bullshit Detector
06-04-2009, 06:36 PM
and once again Mouse kills a thread with his trolls.

sook
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Just a heads-up sook, kick ASS your freshman year at A&M. Then you should be able to transfer to a number of schools. If your grades are poor you might not be able to get into UT-A.

Best of luck in college!

Thanks dude!

I was ranked 25 in a class of a 978 so I hope I'll be fine. I heard freshamn year is a piece of cake anyways.