PDA

View Full Version : Ime Udoka

timtonymanu
06-04-2009, 03:42 AM
do you guys think that there's a possibility that Ime may resign with the Spurs just like how Finley did last summer?

It's something the Spurs don't really need to do, but I feel Udoka may be resigned.

baseline bum
06-04-2009, 04:09 AM
do you guys think that there's a possibility that Ime may resign with the Spurs just like how Finley did last summer?

It's something the Spurs don't really need to do, but I feel Udoka may be resigned.

I hope they pass. Ime never worked out, and I'd rather see what they can try to pull out of the second round and the NBDL to fill his place.

timtonymanu
06-04-2009, 04:34 AM
I hope they pass. Ime never worked out, and I'd rather see what they can try to pull out of the second round and the NBDL to fill his place.

i agree. but i just feel Pop likes him too much. He may turn out to be Finley 2.0.

ehz33satx
06-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Ime's a tough mofo. Anyways, why do you both feel the need to quote the original poster? What other quote do you think your post's are going to get confused with? You both are the only other 2 posters here! Just continue the convo like I have. See?

timtonymanu
06-04-2009, 05:24 AM
It's just something I use to.

spursbird
06-04-2009, 07:29 AM
i agree. but i just feel Pop likes him too much. He may turn out to be Finley 2.0.
And his score abillity is even worse than Finley, so I think if he resigns, he will turn into JV 2.0.

Stump
06-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Ime is a borderline rotation player, but we have much younger (and slightly cheaper) borderline rotation SFs in Gist, Williams, and Hairston.

Even if he wasn't as good as advertised, I enjoyed watching Ime play and having him as a Spur. Best of luck to him, but it's probably best for both parties if he plays elsewhere.

Strike
06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I agree. The experiment didn't work. Move on.

urunobili
06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks, but no thanks...

Spur-Addict
06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
If they resign Ime, i'll hurl my remote like a discus off the top of Mount Olympus.

loveforthegame
06-04-2009, 10:11 AM
There is no reason to resign Udoka. Wasted money when we can look elsewhere.

I have a feeling that Finley will take his place on the roster if he picks up his option.

sananspursfan21
06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
ime's not hurting anybody as long as he has a small amount of minutes. he's like jaque vaughn, he's pretty much there to fill out the roster. don't worry about him, it's not like pop is gonna give him 20 minutes a game and he's gonna start jacking up shots. i'd welcome him back as long as he doesn't have a big spot in the rotation.

bigdog
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
No

Kindergarten Cop
06-04-2009, 04:40 PM
As a few have already stated, he wouldn't get a lot of minutes and would be depth coming off the bench. I may be the only one that saw his play improve as he worked his way out of Pop's dog house in the Playoffs. I'd welcome him back at $2M per if he'd take it.

draft87
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
See ya CACA ARM...you were a waste of 2 yrs. He did show up to play once every 20 or so games so we can't say he was a total bust.:rolleyes

harsh words dude. taking a stab a man's physical 'defects'....that's pretty low.

anyway, back to BASKETBALL-

i think ime got dicked over by pop's rotation experiments with mason/finley starting, and especially when he had to get creative with manu/tony out.

instead of the 2 guard being finley, then ginobili it was mason, hill, finley, ginobili,

the 3 was finley, bowen, and i swear i think i once saw a parker, hill, mason lineup for second.

i really shouldn't say 'dicked over' it's more like 'looked over'
ime had only been in the system for a year. he was supposed to be a role player, a backup for bowen(who barely played) pop had to let mason take a big role and get some minutes for hill. that meant ime had to sit out and wait. when he got those garbage minutes he was never allowed to get a rhythm. he finally got in the last third, maybe quarter of the season and did what he was expected to do. he made some plays, hit some 3s, played defense and fit in the system. remember him in the 2008 playoffs? he's no 15/8 player, but he definitely played the part he was asked to.

my only concern is that although tough, he's pretty undersized as a 3. what's he, 6'5"?

i think overall we're being too hard on the guy. i'd gladly welcome him back as 1-2 mil/yr role player. especially if bowen and/or finley are gone.

SouthTexasRancher
06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Pass!!!

Just can't count on the guy. You get one good game and 10 bad games. Ime needs to go to the Clippers where he'll be a Super Star!

Dex
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Pass!!!

Just can't count on the guy. You get one good game and 10 bad games. Ime needs to go to the Clippers where he'll be a Super Star!

Yep.

I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to believe that he could grow into the skill set that he was supposed to be able to provide. Unfortunately, we only saw brief glimpses of it, and were otherwise left with a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. I wouldn't be happy to see Ime back as a Spur.

B-Hath
06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I think we originally saw Ime as the next Bowen. Smart defensive stopper with some limited offensive ability. We saw that he can't handle the Kobe/Wade/CP3's of the world. I say give up and fast track George Hill in that direction. Ime's a smart player and had some nice moments, but that's the extent of it.

Bukefal
06-04-2009, 06:04 PM
he's not worth it for us, better off without.

tomtom
06-04-2009, 06:30 PM
No but that probably means he'll be back next season...

HarlemHeat37
06-04-2009, 07:35 PM
No but that probably means he'll be back next season...

LOL +1..

Ime's skill-set isn't ideal for what we need right now..

he's an inconsistent shooter that can never be relied on to make a shot at key times..he's not athletic..he doesn't have an ability to finish at the basket..he's a very good passer, a tough guy, can get in and rebound, and he can play decent D at times..

he will be on an NBA roster next year though..hopefully it won't be ours..

SouthTexasRancher
06-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Yep.

I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to believe that he could grow into the skill set that he was supposed to be able to provide. Unfortunately, we only saw brief glimpses of it, and were otherwise left with a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. I wouldn't be happy to see Ime back as a Spur.

When we first got him I thought we had a real steal. But, this past season he just looked lost. He had a depressed look almost all the time which is NOT what Pop wants to see in his players. Pop has absolutely no patience for a player who is feeling sorry about himself.

Udokafan05
06-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Udoka played very well down the stretch. Why people here are so high on Hairston i dont know. Udoka>Hairston. Resign him.

loveforthegame
06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
The only way he should be brought back is if Finley passes on his option and they ship Bowen off in a trade.

Otherwise, we need some new blood in here.

Knoxxx
06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
harsh words dude. taking a stab a man's physical 'defects'....that's pretty low.

anyway, back to BASKETBALL-

i think ime got dicked over by pop's rotation experiments with mason/finley starting, and especially when he had to get creative with manu/tony out.

instead of the 2 guard being finley, then ginobili it was mason, hill, finley, ginobili,

the 3 was finley, bowen, and i swear i think i once saw a parker, hill, mason lineup for second.

i really shouldn't say 'dicked over' it's more like 'looked over'
ime had only been in the system for a year. he was supposed to be a role player, a backup for bowen(who barely played) pop had to let mason take a big role and get some minutes for hill. that meant ime had to sit out and wait. when he got those garbage minutes he was never allowed to get a rhythm. he finally got in the last third, maybe quarter of the season and did what he was expected to do. he made some plays, hit some 3s, played defense and fit in the system. remember him in the 2008 playoffs? he's no 15/8 player, but he definitely played the part he was asked to.

my only concern is that although tough, he's pretty undersized as a 3. what's he, 6'5"?

i think overall we're being too hard on the guy. i'd gladly welcome him back as 1-2 mil/yr role player. especially if bowen and/or finley are gone.

This year and last Ime emerged (perhaps moreso last year) as a more than decent role player in the playoffs when others were vanishing completely. At $1-2 million per year he fits in great. The only thing I did not like was he seemed hesitant on offense this year in the playoffs, where the year before he was more confident. I think the lack of PT in the regular season, then Pop suddenly realizing he was wrong and playing him a lot more in the playoffs, was the reason. Plays D, can shoot the 3, low salary, good attributes.

As far as the pigmentation on his arm, good job calling someone out for mentioning that. All too common on here, and that is why I'm not a more frequent poster. Some folks need to put the freedom we are allowed on here to better use and grow up a bit.

wildbill2u
06-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Pop makes it so hard to evaluate players. He benchs them for long periods and destroys their confidence as well as their 'game sense.' Did anyone forsee the emergence of Bonner into a starting role and the banishment of Oberto?

Then he starts calling Udoka's number for minutes late in the year and benchs Bowen. I'm not sure Pop got the best out of EITHER player that way.

Sure a bench player has to accept that he will be ready when called on, but Practice doesn't get it. It takes minutes on the court to keep up with the speed of the game and the Spurs 'system' on offense and defense.

draft87
06-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Pop makes it so hard to evaluate players. He benchs them for long periods and destroys their confidence as well as their 'game sense.' Did anyone forsee the emergence of Bonner into a starting role and the banishment of Oberto?

Then he starts calling Udoka's number for minutes late in the year and benchs Bowen. I'm not sure Pop got the best out of EITHER player that way.

Sure a bench player has to accept that he will be ready when called on, but Practice doesn't get it. It takes minutes on the court to keep up with the speed of the game and the Spurs 'system' on offense and defense.

i totally agree with you in regards to '09. i've thought about it before and prior to this year i felt similarly about pop's rotations as i do the FO. when they make it work, it's genius. when they don't the blew it. you can't always make aging role players play rigidly within the system, especially if they've played in another unique style for a long time. it just won't always work.

but this year, yah totally the rotations were F'D. but i think it was more pop making the best of not having/having/not having/having/not having manu. udoka, bowen, and the defense really got thrown out of form as a result.

i did see bonner coming out cause of the oberto heart issues. plus the kurt thomas injury/conditioning issue. didn't oberto miss time 3 different times from the preseason til the playoffs? i'm not sure we should keep him 1) simply for his own health. playing 12 role min/game is simply not worthing missing out on yr life with yr family. in fact no minutes in basketball are worth it. cuttino mobley wisely chose this past year(yah, i know it's not the same condition) 2) even if he chooses to play, do we really want to put a 34 year old with an irregular heartbeat in the rotation?

Sean Cagney
06-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Udoka played very well down the stretch. Why people here are so high on Hairston i dont know. Udoka>Hairston. Resign him.

Oh Jesus, some want to go down the same road we had last year it seems.....:bang:bang:bang

exstatic
06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
You need, at a minimum, 13 players on your roster. If Finley bolts, that leaves us with only Manu, RMJ, and Bruce as wings with experienced floor minutes in this team concept. Ime would be cheap one year stopgap insurance.

Kindergarten Cop
06-06-2009, 01:19 PM
You need, at a minimum, 13 players on your roster. If Finley bolts, that leaves us with only Manu, RMJ, and Bruce as wings with experienced floor minutes in this team concept. Ime would be cheap one year stopgap insurance.

Each team is required to have 12 players on their roster - and I agree that I wouldn't mind seeing Ime as one of the 12. I won't be heartbroken if he isn't, but I do think that he could be a decent role player at the right price.

exstatic
06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Each team is required to have 12 players on their roster - and I agree that I wouldn't mind seeing Ime as one of the 12. I won't be heartbroken if he isn't, but I do think that he could be a decent role player at the right price.

Minimum of 13 players per roster, as of the last CBA. I'm not sure you can find any options as cheap that would sign for 1 year and know or pick up our system as well. If the Spurs pull the trigger on a many for one trade for VC, they're almost going to have to sign Ime to fill out the roster. They'd be at $61M+ for just 4 players. At that point, Ime becomes a Godsend.

Kindergarten Cop
06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Minimum of 13 players per roster, as of the last CBA. I'm not sure you can find any options as cheap that would sign for 1 year and know or pick up our system as well. If the Spurs pull the trigger on a many for one trade for VC, they're almost going to have to sign Ime to fill out the roster. They'd be at $61M+ for just 4 players. At that point, Ime becomes a Godsend.

My bad, you are correct. Teams are required to carry 12 men on an active roster and 1 on the inactive list for the majority of the year.

JustinJDW
06-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I hope not. It's time we bring guys like Marcus Williams and possibly Malik Hairston into the rotation.

montgod
06-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Honestly, I don't see Udoka coming back. I believe the Spurs FO have seen the writing on the wall and know that in order for them to compete for another ring while Duncan is here, they need to get better players instead of hoping the rehash of current players will get them there.

I don't expect to see the following on the team next year:

Udoka
Oberto (traded)
KThomas (traded but might be brought back to come off the bench again)
Bowen (traded - but possibly signed back if cut)
Finley (if he opts out)
Bonner (traded - but might be brought back to come off the bench)
Mason (traded if a better piece can had in return)
Hill (traded if a better piece can had in return)

Supergirl
06-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I think Udoka will be back. Pop likes what he sees, and he's got some offense and he's one of our better defenders. Hill will be back, he's under rookie contract and he's one of the most promising things to coming out of last season.

Bowen will only be back for vet minimum, but I suspect he will retire he doesn't come back a Spur. Same with Thomas, but I could imagine both coming back for 1 more year.

I think Finley, Oberto, and Bonner are gone.

Mason is hard to say. Could be good trade bait for something better, since he did play so well in the regular season. but he could be back.

SenorSpur
06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
See ya CACA ARM...

:nope ... says Dikembe Mutombo

exstatic
06-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Honestly, I don't see Udoka coming back. I believe the Spurs FO have seen the writing on the wall and know that in order for them to compete for another ring while Duncan is here, they need to get better players instead of hoping the rehash of current players will get them there.

Udoka
Oberto (traded)
Finley (if he opts out)

:lol Boy, are YOU in for a disappointment.

timtonymanu
06-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Udoka
Oberto (traded)
Finley (if he opts out)

the only ones i see gone are vaughn, gooden and maybe Pop tells Bruce to hang it up. i feel like everyone else will be back or maybe wont be back.

i would want duncan, parker, hill, manu, mason, thomas, and bruce to stay. everyone else i could care less.