PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Will Refuse to Employ Winning Strategy - Magic in 7

FoxPerez
06-04-2009, 05:40 AM
http://budurl.com/MagicIn7 (http://budurl.com/MagicIn7)

"The Lakers have two of the best three players in the Finals...

But unless they take advantage of the matchup problems Gasol creates and the offense he can produce, it's like having the fastest car in a race and then never shifting higher than 3rd gear. Yeah, you're going fast, but it'd be easier to win if you took full advantage of what you've got. And so far, Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant's triangle offense haven't shown the willingness to run the offense through Gasol the way they should be."

Full article (WITH PICTURES!) here: http://budurl.com/MagicIn7 (http://budurl.com/MagicIn7)

Enjoy!

KSeal
06-04-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm sure 9 time NBA champion Phil Jackson won't be able to make the correct adjustments and enforce them over Stan Van Gundy, great take. Magic might win in 7 but not because the Lakers will refuse to employ the winning strategy.

FoxPerez
06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
You say that, and yet "9 time NBA champion Phil Jackson" needed seven games to beat a Houston Rockets team without a Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Dikembe Mutombo.

He also couldn't outcoach Doc Rivers with a better team last year.

This is yet another reason people are making the same mistake again of picking the Lakers to win.

Ghazi
06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Celtics were better team last year

JamStone
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Could you post the link to your website one more time. I'm not sure if those first two links are enough. Actually, make it three more times, please.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
The Gasol/Howard lineup is going to be where this series will hinge. If Gasol can't stay out of foul trouble while trying to guard Howard that leaves the unpredictable Lamar Odom as the second option. If Gasol can keep himself from getting killed trying to guard D12 he also has the skill set to frustrate Howard and get him in some foul trouble of his own. If the Magic have to rely on Gortat to hold down the paint for extended stretches the Lakers cutters are going to be much more successful.

It's a tough 8 ball for the refs to be behind because of the conflicting styles. All I'm looking for them to do is call it consistently, but even if they do it could still look like conspiracy to the homers out there because of how much it will influence this series. If they keep things as tight as they have at times this postseason then a power player like Howard is in trouble and it looks like a fix for the Lakers. If they let them play Gasol is going to get thrown around like a ragdoll and it will look like the NBA is shitting on the Lakers to some. And it's not like either of these guys have the sort of versatility in their game to make big adjustments in how they approach the game. They are both very talented, but they are what they are.

FoxPerez
06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I disagree that Howard and Gasol will be matched up against each other. I think both Van Gundy and Jackson are smart enough not to do that because they need the other on the offensive end. You'll see them both in the paint as help defenders, but I don't think you'll see them guarding each other until crunch time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
I disagree that Howard and Gasol will be matched up against each other. I think both Van Gundy and Jackson are smart enough not to do that because they need the other on the offensive end. You'll see them both in the paint as help defenders, but I don't think you'll see them guarding each other until crunch time.

Unless Jackson is going to unleash DJ Mbenga on Howard, Gasol is going to have to take some time on Howard beyond just crunch time. Bynum's stat sheet from the Denver series tells the tale, particularly on the boards. No one on that Nuggets team was as big, strong, or athletic as Howard either. He's just not healthy enough for big minutes, let alone big minutes against a guy like Howard. He can't go for more than 20-25 minutes, Howard will probably play close to 40.

The Lakers are going to go have to play small at some point, with Gasol and Howard lined up against each other. How those stretches play out with that head to head matchup will be absolutely pivotal in this series.

FoxPerez
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I still disagree with you on one thing.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's not that Bynum isn't healthy enough. He's just not good enough. Last year, Laker fans thought this guy was the 2nd coming of Russell or Chamberlain and, as we've seen in his matchups against Houston and Denver, he's far from that.

KSeal
06-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I still disagree with you on one thing.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's not that Bynum isn't healthy enough. He's just not good enough. Last year, Laker fans thought this guy was the 2nd coming of Russell or Chamberlain and, as we've seen in his matchups against Houston and Denver, he's far from that.

Really, the man just came back from a grade 3 tear of his MCL, I'm quite sure some of it is due to him not being 100%.

FoxPerez
06-04-2009, 03:44 PM
We actually don't know that it was a grade 3 tear. That assumption was only made because of the length of time it took him to get back.

But the maximum rehab time for a grade 3 tear is four months and he returned to play in a little over three. And the Lakers played really well without him, so there was no rush to get him back for a final playoff push or anything. So he should be playing better than he looks if you think his injury has to do with it.

Either way, you can try to make excuses for him all you want, but he's played only three half-decent games in the playoffs and LA lost one of them.

TampaDude
06-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Celtics were better team last year

WERD...

2008 Celtics >>>>> 2009 Celtics

NOBODY was gonna deny the Celtics the title last year...they were just ridiculous...clearly the best team in the NBA by a WIDE margin.

Allanon
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
David Stern won't let the Lakers lose.

http://phxsportsguy.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/absolute_power2.jpg

FoxPerez
06-04-2009, 05:43 PM
The NBA actually has a lot to gain if Dwight Howard and the Magic win a championship. A ring would vault Howard to superstar status into the top tier of NBA stars. Kobe's marketability can't get much better. Howard has more room to rise.

As long as the Magic don't dominate the series and win in five games or less (which no one expects to happen, even those that picked the Magic like myself), the NBA is in a win-win situation.

Allanon
06-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Orlando is maybe the 15th market whereas the Lakers are the #2 market.

Having a Superstar in a small market just won't do much for the NBA. Kobe and Yao own China, and we all know Stern's trying to get his hands on those Chinese yuan. That's why he gave the Rockets a shot at Game 7 vs the Lakers instead of having the Lakers blow them out.

David Stern will get the ultimate worldwide market if he lets Kobe win.